Vienna Airport

"Avoid if possible"

Not Verified | After checking boarding pass and passport you are taken to the duty free area before security. Any liquids you want to take on board therefore have to be sealed in a bag by the shop which you cannot open. After the gate was announced, we were refused entry through security until the previous flight was boarded. This is because the area after security is very small and so passengers for the next flight simply stand around the gate in a random fashion for an hour. Whenever anyone enquires as to if they can go through the gate, they are dismissed with rudeness and anger as though this was obvious. Boarding cards and passports are checked again simultaneously with security whilst you are trying to get your belongings together. Avoid if possible. Ruined the end of our visit.

"Very convenient airport"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Very convenient airport, clean and easy to navigate. Good airport lounge. Every procedure was quick, despite some turmoil at border control. The location of shops and toilets is optimized.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"such a mediocre quality airport"

(Austria)

Not Verified | I’ve been flying out Vienna Airport for the past few years now and I must say this is among the least Traveller-friendly airports I’ve been through. Although I still think that it can be much better but haven’t seen any progress so far, and this is an indication of the unwillingness to make any valuable improvements by the airport management. It’s sad that such a great city like Vienna has such a mediocre quality airport. Starting with the check-in desks which are cramped and always somehow chaotic, to the lack of terminal services, lack of food choices, lack of seating options, lack of restrooms, poor-equipped lounges, small gates that can’t accommodate all passengers at a one-given full flight. Definitely Vienna deserves a better flying hub but this surely require an efficient management of first port of entry to Austria. Wake up Vienna airport management.

"not passenger friendly"

Trip Verified | Flying via this airport was a mistake which is not going to happen again. Not enough seats, you have to take a bus to most gates, bathrooms are small, not nearly enough places to buy food/drink. The airport seems to be disorganized and not passenger friendly. I had to climb down 5 flights of stairs just to get to my gate. There was no food/beverage service so I had climb back up to find a place to buy some water. Avoid this place unless you got a majorly good deal on your ticket.
Date VisitJune 2019

"amazing lack of restrooms"

Trip Verified | On the good side, the security screeners here are the fastest I’ve ever seen, while still being amazingly thorough. The airport itself is nothing amazing for shops and food. A few small places, but they get the job done. The worst is the amazing lack of restrooms. They have several, but they each only have a couple of stalls. Every single time I’ve flown through Vienna 6-9 times a year- there is a line of people filling the restrooms and along the outside waiting for a toilet-male and female. Today I watched a grown man have a melt down due to an “emergency”. I saw a similar incident a few months ago. Seriously-put some more toilets in.
Date VisitJune 2019

"They were not interested and were quite rude"

Trip Verified | I had booked assisted travel and arrived, as instructed, just over 2 hours before take off. I was directed to the Assisted Travel disk, which had a queue in front of it and nowhere to sit. I pointed out that I could not stand for long periods, which was why I had booked assisted travel in the first place. They were not interested and were quite rude. An airport employee, whom we approached for help in getting a wheelchair replied "I can't do that, I'm not in the wheelchair department". Fortunately, I was not alone and my partner went and got a wheelchair for me. We were in the queue for 30 minutes. I was seated, but my partner, who is 84, was standing and quite tired by the time we were dealt with. I have been travelling with assisted passage for some years now, due to health issues, and have never encountered such a stupid and uncaring system and attitude. By the time I was moved, we were taken straight through tot he Gate, where there were no refreshment facilities or shops other than a machine. I shall be avoiding Schwechat if at all possible in future.
Date VisitMay 2019

"have never been so uncomfortable"

Not Verified | I have never been so uncomfortable in an international airport. No seats. As a 69 year old senior citizen I resented having to sit on the floor. Also the arrangement of flow of passengers could only be described as chaotic in the extreme. Never again.
Date VisitMay 2019

"The worst security experience"

Trip Verified | The worst security experience I have ever had in many years of frequent travel. After arriving at the gate for an Austrian Airlines connecting flight to IAD Dulles, many of us were marked for extra security, and taken to a separate area across the hall. Here we stood in line for about 15 minutes while each passenger was required to unpack everything from their hand luggage into bins, down to the mints and loose change, remove all electronic devices into a separate bin, take phones out of cradles, disconnect all charger parts. The staff involved were brusque, impatient and clearly unsympathetic during this rigamarole. It had a definitely punitive or payback quality to the process. In addition, there was no clear system for queuing at the gate, and no marked areas for lining up to board. No helpful PA announcements that I could hear. Total chaos. Only four stalls in the ladies room meant a long line out into the gate area. Hope never to go through this airport again.
Date VisitApril 2019

"a waste of time"

(Spain)

Not Verified | This airport was designed by someone that has never travelled or someone that wants to make people uncomfortable. When we were departing, Duty Free and many other shops were found before passing through security. They have a machine that supposedly checks that you have a boarding pass and you should pass to the security line. At the security line they just ask for your boarding pass, and do not compare it with your identification. This means anyone can just go through. I had a bit of trouble getting it so quickly because it was on an application and there were three of us traveling. They wasted a lot of my time for nothing, because the check was irrelevent being that there was a machine that already did it. The security guards verify what they ask of whom, some people have to have their liquids out, and some do not. Depends on their mood. Once you go through the hassle of the rudesest and most ridiculous security, there isn't anything do on the B level. You need to go upstairs to get a cup of coffee, which is a waste of time if you are limited to it because of a flight. I am not sure if this is the worst airport I have been to, but very close to it.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"One of my favourites"

(Greece)

Not Verified | I am visiting Vienna airport often as a middle station for my final destination. One of my favourites. Specific place for smokers in the terminal. Comfortable seats. Easy to move around. Reasonable prices for food and coffee.
Date VisitMarch 2019