Vienna Airport

"clean and modern airport"

(Slovakia)

Trip Verified | Very clean and modern airport with lot of shops. Security check was fast. Helpful staff. I forgot to move out my bottle with water at security and my bag come to secondary check line. I had just 5 minutes to go to gate and staff give me my bag in 2 minutes. All good.

"Not very pleasant"

Not Verified | Transiting through from London to Kosovo. On way out, went straight from London flight to D gate area. After passing through an over crowded security area went down stairs to a small, overcrowded and underfacilitated bussing gate complex. Not very pleasant. Thankfully I was on a short connection as I wouldn’t like to spend much time there. On the way back had three hours in the main departure area. Very clean with plenty of seating and a number of eateries scattered around, but the food and beverage prices are truely over priced, even by airport standards, No drinking water fountains as far as I could see, just bottled water ranging up to 5 euros for half a litre. Coffee, drinks and food boosted to the same level as the water.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"limited range of duty-free"

Trip Verified | Transit at Vienna Airport from Beijing to Manchester, the area of the airport I was in (The D gates) was very chaotic and very crowded, since I cannot go to another part of the airport, I was restricted to a medium sized room with limited seating for 2 hours (luckily it was quite early so there wasn’t too many people) there was a very limited range of duty-free store as the gate area was very small. After passing the security check into the bus-boarding area, the area was even crowded than the main waiting area! There was no space and everyone for more than 10 different flights are crammed into 2 small rooms. The staff at the security checks are also very distracted and pretends to be too busy directing people to be helping me even when I’ve asked them multiple times.

"chaos in the airport"

Trip Verified | Absolute chaos and very poor service. I was flying to Athens on the 1st September. Flight cancelled! We were provided with hotel but rerouting procedure is complex and cannot discuss, we had to fly the same flight the following day and cancelled again and it became chaos in the airport. No hotel provided, they closed all counters and just let customers down. After long calls I managed to get a flight via Belgrade to Athens where we are now but without our luggage! 4 days already without luggages and the worse is that nobody seems to care about this situation. You are a number in the system and no information available despite many calls. I am really looking forward to never flying again via Vienna airport. Weather cannot be the only one responsible!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"staff extremely abrupt and rude"

Trip Verified | I have used Vienna airport for my transit flights for at least 30 times between London and Pristina. Yesterday was the first time I had a bad experience by the staff members at the security check point. They took three bottles of water that I had for me and my family and binned them. Their excuse was that any liquids from countries outside the EU can not go through unless I had proof of purchase and had them sealed in plastic bags. I always carried bottles of water on the plane to drink during the flight. Obviously they couldn’t be sealed as we have been drinkin out of those bottles. However this was the first time the water was snatched of my bag and binned. The behaviour of the staff was extremely abrupt and rude. If I have water on an Austrian airplane; how come I cannot carry it with me on the next airplane and how come this is the first time water was taken of me and I was being told that this rule is for many years now? I had to pay €4.20 for half littre of water. It is too polite to call it as “very expensive”; in fact it’s an absolute rip off. I don’t understand why the prices have to be that high. I would like to know why this has happened to me just like that out of blue. I hope somebody will reply to my and appologise for this act. However, Vienna airport is a brilliant one. Plenty of nice seats especially for long waiting.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"no explanation, no apologies"

(Slovakia)

Not Verified | We landed at 23.35 and had to wait in the plane 25 minutes for the steps, then another 25 minutes for the bus, another 15 minutes in the bus for I do not know what. Then we came to the hall to pick up our luggage and we found out that it was still on the plane. Still no explanation, no apologies. Vienna airport is starting to be very chaotic.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"an extremely unorganized airport"

(Croatia)

Not Verified | This is an extremely unorganized airport. Long queues all over the place, multiple security checks for transfer passengers, extremely slow and with no staff to help. One hour is not enough time for connecting flights. On top of all those unnecessary and slow security checks, nobody actually checks the boarding pass so people get lost in space and time ending up at wrong gates with no time to reach their gates in time. Honestly, the worst airport organization I ever saw.

"chaos experienced"

Not Verified | In transit through Vienna airport, transferring from inbound London flight on to outbound flight to Larnaca. This was without a doubt the worst airport transfer I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. I and my wife are in our late sixties and I can only describe getting from one gate to the other as a full cardio workout and a complete nightmare. When we eventually did arrive at the gate we were faced with a queue of approximately 200 people trying to get through security and board planes. We were business class passengers so asked for the fast track entrance only to be told there was no fast track and we would have to queue with the rest. We persisted, complained that our flight was boarding and was eventually brought through security with seconds to spare to board our plane. We are making the return journey the first week in August and pray that something has been done to avoid the chaos experienced on the outward flight.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"shocked how dirty"

Trip Verified | Visiting Austria 1-2 times a year, this time for my Mothers funeral, I was shocked how dirty and stinking all the toilets on the Airport were! Always proud at my Austrian heritage and the cleanliness in Austria I was ashamed that my husband saw that too! What happened? Is there no money for toilet cleaning anymore? The irony are the electronic devices on the exits where you could leave your feelings! I would suggest to give those back and hire a "Klo Frau"! Is anybody ever checking this, or did Austria become already a third world Country?
Date VisitAugust 2018

"offloading work from employees to passengers"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | As I traveled to USA on August 1 the computer at check-in wrote I needed to see an employee for baggage. So I tried to use assisted drop-off for my luggage. Yes, tried. After queuing 10min a woman behind counter 368 told me to use a self check-in for luggage without as much as apology. I never encountered such rude behaviour from airport employee saying "Do it yourself" to a customer. A young lady helped me later, she needed to use her card to check in my bag. You make people pick the scanner and scan the bag tag like an airport employee instead of letting the employees do their job. A traveller shouldn't touch anything else except his possessions. Another issue is lack of toilets at international G gates, long queues for them and they are dirty, some clogged with paper. I am put off by the attitude of no water fountains, only overpriced water in plastic bottles is available instead. Where is your ecological attitude? Recycle bins are just a poor excuse. Extra screening for randomly picked passengers. They tell you to walk there, so you walk unattended to scanning point where they throw most of stuff from your bag out and then let you unattended walk back to gate. This airport boasts about how many passengers get through every year. They are increasing their profits also by offloading work from employees to passengers. Why shall we pay high airport taxes? Honestly, if I'm given a choice it won't be your airport in the future.