Vienna Airport

"not passenger friendly"

Trip Verified | Flying via this airport was a mistake which is not going to happen again. Not enough seats, you have to take a bus to most gates, bathrooms are small, not nearly enough places to buy food/drink. The airport seems to be disorganized and not passenger friendly. I had to climb down 5 flights of stairs just to get to my gate. There was no food/beverage service so I had climb back up to find a place to buy some water. Avoid this place unless you got a majorly good deal on your ticket.
Date VisitJune 2019

"amazing lack of restrooms"

Trip Verified | On the good side, the security screeners here are the fastest I’ve ever seen, while still being amazingly thorough. The airport itself is nothing amazing for shops and food. A few small places, but they get the job done. The worst is the amazing lack of restrooms. They have several, but they each only have a couple of stalls. Every single time I’ve flown through Vienna 6-9 times a year- there is a line of people filling the restrooms and along the outside waiting for a toilet-male and female. Today I watched a grown man have a melt down due to an “emergency”. I saw a similar incident a few months ago. Seriously-put some more toilets in.
Date VisitJune 2019

"They were not interested and were quite rude"

Trip Verified | I had booked assisted travel and arrived, as instructed, just over 2 hours before take off. I was directed to the Assisted Travel disk, which had a queue in front of it and nowhere to sit. I pointed out that I could not stand for long periods, which was why I had booked assisted travel in the first place. They were not interested and were quite rude. An airport employee, whom we approached for help in getting a wheelchair replied "I can't do that, I'm not in the wheelchair department". Fortunately, I was not alone and my partner went and got a wheelchair for me. We were in the queue for 30 minutes. I was seated, but my partner, who is 84, was standing and quite tired by the time we were dealt with. I have been travelling with assisted passage for some years now, due to health issues, and have never encountered such a stupid and uncaring system and attitude. By the time I was moved, we were taken straight through tot he Gate, where there were no refreshment facilities or shops other than a machine. I shall be avoiding Schwechat if at all possible in future.
Date VisitMay 2019

"have never been so uncomfortable"

Not Verified | I have never been so uncomfortable in an international airport. No seats. As a 69 year old senior citizen I resented having to sit on the floor. Also the arrangement of flow of passengers could only be described as chaotic in the extreme. Never again.
Date VisitMay 2019

"The worst security experience"

Trip Verified | The worst security experience I have ever had in many years of frequent travel. After arriving at the gate for an Austrian Airlines connecting flight to IAD Dulles, many of us were marked for extra security, and taken to a separate area across the hall. Here we stood in line for about 15 minutes while each passenger was required to unpack everything from their hand luggage into bins, down to the mints and loose change, remove all electronic devices into a separate bin, take phones out of cradles, disconnect all charger parts. The staff involved were brusque, impatient and clearly unsympathetic during this rigamarole. It had a definitely punitive or payback quality to the process. In addition, there was no clear system for queuing at the gate, and no marked areas for lining up to board. No helpful PA announcements that I could hear. Total chaos. Only four stalls in the ladies room meant a long line out into the gate area. Hope never to go through this airport again.
Date VisitApril 2019

"a waste of time"

(Spain)

Not Verified | This airport was designed by someone that has never travelled or someone that wants to make people uncomfortable. When we were departing, Duty Free and many other shops were found before passing through security. They have a machine that supposedly checks that you have a boarding pass and you should pass to the security line. At the security line they just ask for your boarding pass, and do not compare it with your identification. This means anyone can just go through. I had a bit of trouble getting it so quickly because it was on an application and there were three of us traveling. They wasted a lot of my time for nothing, because the check was irrelevent being that there was a machine that already did it. The security guards verify what they ask of whom, some people have to have their liquids out, and some do not. Depends on their mood. Once you go through the hassle of the rudesest and most ridiculous security, there isn't anything do on the B level. You need to go upstairs to get a cup of coffee, which is a waste of time if you are limited to it because of a flight. I am not sure if this is the worst airport I have been to, but very close to it.

"One of my favourites"

(Greece)

Not Verified | I am visiting Vienna airport often as a middle station for my final destination. One of my favourites. Specific place for smokers in the terminal. Comfortable seats. Easy to move around. Reasonable prices for food and coffee.

"Horrible airport"

Not Verified | Horrible airport. Not enough seats at the terminals for flights so half the plane was standing. Not enough restrooms, they each only have 3 toilets, there was always a line for both the Male and Female ones. In addition, at least one stall in each one I went to was clogged/overflowing/out of service. Will not choose to fly through there again.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"you can barely find anything"

(Finland)

Not Verified | The whole airport is a maze and you can barely find anything. The tax free shop with all the food and drinks is before the security check which basically means you can’t buy anything from there. The security check was okay, but the gate itself is a complete mess. There’s nothing to do and there are absolutely no stores where you can buy actual food. Also the staff are rude.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"A disappointment every single time"

Not Verified | Vienna Airport is one of the most annoying and worst organised airports I have ever been too. A disappointment every single time I fly from here. No proper seating areas. You have to go to Gate where the security check happens. You can't prepare fluids or stuff beforehand because there is no area to do so. You are queuing forever and the have to rush and find a plastic bag and prepare everything when you are up to go through security. After you are through, you might sit for 5 mins, if you find a spot, or you just continue queuing again because now they are boarding and checking the passes again. To summarise, get prepared to queue and queue and queue. If you don't want to wait in the queue before security, you can't sit down. No proper seating area anywhere, except that very overpriced and odd restaurant called 'Johann Strauss' but then you have to consume something, otherwise you can't sit here. I am still young and healthy but this surely might be an issue for elderly or someone who can't just be on their feet for such a long time. Also, the set up of the airport is just odd. I am flying to London a lot and have to get to go outside and then in and around the corner - it's a confusing and odd set up. One wonders what's has been done with the outrageous sums of money they had spent years ago. To give an indicator. I queued for security about 25 mins. That's just people who go on 1 flight. Not everyone.
Date VisitFebruary 2019