Vancouver Airport

"I was impressed"

Trip Verified | Spacious and tidy airport with varied and extensive shopping and dining opportunities. Children's play areas, art works, big and clean signage - all abound. Free wi-fi, lots of seating, clean toilets. I arrived quite late at night - after midnight. Without checked luggage I was able to exit the airport without any delay. Cabs waited in line outside the terminal - they accept credit cards. On return, I arrived a bit early because of bad weather. Thus, I had time to walk around to explore the airport. I was impressed. Shops carried local Native Canadian art work and there were both fast food and more formal eateries. Like many other Canadian airports, Vancouver also provides pre-clearance immigration and customs entry into the U.S. However, for the flight I was taking, because it left after 10 pm, this service was not available. I was directed to another gate on the other side of the terminal. I ended up doing the immigration and customs at my destination in JFK - as with everyone else on my flight. Security check was similar to the US and was unhurried - at that time I was the only person undergoing a check! Once you are through the security area, you are greeted with numerous shops. A wonderful airport - large floor to ceiling glass panels offer beautiful views. I generated the boarding pass and the lounge pass from a vending machine. I used the Cathay Pacific lounge which is on one floor above. Again, great views. Lounge hours are limited to arrival and departure of the company's flights. Staff generally friendly and greet you in both English and French.

"Fix this broken system"

Trip Verified | Worst passport control and transit experience in the world. Staff only confuse while moving people from line to line until you take that awful bus ride. Fix this broken system.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"Truly awful experience"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever. The customs questioned me for an hour and made me miss my flight! Now in midnight I am still waiting for transit flight. I was going to Chicago as a visitor, holding Canadian passport. The officers suggested that I wanted to emigrate to US, just because I don't currently have a job. Reactions are very rude! I told them I will be supported by my parents, they asked many personal and nonsense questions, including do I live with my girlfriend, and what's my parents' job, suspecting how much they earn. I just don't understand! Do parents need to be millionaires to support their own child's basic living expenses? Asking me for I-20 when I am no longer F1 student. Luckily I brought it with me. And later told me that I don't need to show it to them. Maybe it's their job to ask questions, but they had no right to judge people. Especially when they knew that I had worked before, but because of my current status, I cannot work in US. Finally, they called me the last time and let me go, when it's five minutes after my departure time. No apology. My airplane was gone. Truly awful experience!
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"some of the worst I've ever experienced"

(Iceland)

Trip Verified | I arrived from San Francisco, USA. Not a busy day at the airport, arriving on a Dash 8 Q-400 (not a very large plane). Maybe 1 or two other airplanes unloading passengers and all that. I only had carry-on luggage and still it took ages to get through the security alone. Everyone was forced to be in a rather limited area of the arrivals "kiosk security/whatever" area. Standing in what more and more became a chaotic line as there were very poor instructions or any hints of where to go and what to do. Everyone waiting to find an empty kiosk where you had your photo taken and answered all sorts of questions regarding your stay. I was lucky since I was just travelling by myself, but others were families or single mothers with 3-4 children (trying to get a decent photo, and getting rudely told to get back to a kiosk by a staff if it wasn't up to some sort of weird standard). No signals or signs to see which kiosk was available or not, those further away were all empty since nobody saw them in the first place from where the line was entering that area. This was for all non-Canadians. After finishing that chaotic mess I was even confused and walking in circles for a bit to figure out where to head off next. Finally did and handed my passport and a receipt-like ticket with the photo and questions and answers I just did at those kiosks. Only to have the security person ask me MORE and even the same questions I already answered. To top things off, rather weird personal questions also ("why aren't you staying with your friend while visiting." "Who do you work for?" "why does your shirt have that tag on it?"). Aside from long distances to and from everywhere. Food was mediocre, wifi good. But the important travel-related stuff some of the worst I've ever experienced, even when arriving as an international in the USA. Admittedly rather lucky with my travels usually, but seeing the chaos and frustration in fellow arrivals. Some almost in tears from being returned to those damn kiosks a 3rd or 4th time, with their children crying and screaming) was very telling.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Train, re-train personnel"

Trip Verified | On our connecting flight to Calgary, we knew we were going to go to another security check which is understandable and appreciated. Being on our last leg of our very long and tiring day, I was not as prompt anymore. I was asked for my boarding pass, which I handed over to this young man. And while I was putting back by passport in my bag since I wanted to get my stuff ready for inspection I heard him say, "hello, hello" while waving my boarding pass in front of my face. I said I was sorry that I didn't hear him because it has been a long day, but I don't know if he was having a bad day or what, but in his mind it was okay to sneer back and say, "And I have been waiting for you the whole day to get your boarding pass back...duh." I ignored him. I was truly not impressed. I understand that security needs to act with authority but I think they are mislead that authority equals rudeness and worse, acting like a uniformed bully. I have been in many flights, in many security checks, but this so far tops the rudeness chart. Train, re-train personnel.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"an airport to be avoided"

Not Verified | This airport can be summed up as “Rip Off City” with regard the food and refreshments on the departure side. On the arrivals side and for such a small airport the baggage reclaim is awful, wait wait and wait again. The airport has been designed to be asthetically pleasing, the services are apparently designed to be as frustrating as possible to the passenges, very long distances from security to gates, minimal facilities and marginal services. For a one of trip it might be acceptable but for the frequent traveller its an airport to be avoided.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Baggage claim consistently slow"

Not Verified | Baggage claim consistently slow. I travel through here several times a year and it just keeps getting worse. Wait times exceed an hour and the last two times announcements have been made that there are “technical issues” but that we’ll get our bags “today”. This is one of the few airports where baggage claim takes longer than the flight.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"fastest departure experience ever"

Trip Verified | The fastest departure experience ever. I'm sure it took me from dropping my bags at the Air Canada counter to be at the airplane gate within 20 minutes. Arrival experience can often lead to queues in immigration which are not too bad. The only place this airport lacks in is the food and shopping options especially during nighttime when most international flights leave. However, this is the best airport experience I have had in North America.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"at least keep our stuff safe!"

Not Verified | Typically a good airport, reasonable assortment of restaurants and shops, I'm urked they had an x-ray tech take away my solid shaving soap. She thought it could be spreadable (even though I rapped it with my finger to show it was a solid), and they took it away because there wasn't an ml written on it. Of course there wasn't - you don't measure solids in ml. The security area was slow - but x-ray totally backed up, the supervisor seemed apologetic as she also saw it was just a solid soap - but she said the final decision was the x-ray techs. Another plane saved from the evils of a crumbly piece of soap in a plastic container! This airport is good for general travel, I just want to rant because everyone got held up over a 3$ solid soap that I hated because it was a pain to have to lather while shaving - but brought only because I figured it was OK not being a liquid - and apparently it's not. Why even try? I take off my shoes and even my wallet so there's nothing in my pockets - last time they asked me to go for a random screening - OK, fine - but when I came back, I caught a random passenger going through my jacket - where my wallet was. I loudly said as I approached "Why is someone going through my stuff?" and he took off - but come on - if we have to take all our things off and walk away - at least keep our stuff safe! No harm done, in fact I think it was a senile old guy going through my stuff - so he probably didn't know what he was doing, just felt a bit violated.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"waste of taxpayers money"

Not Verified | The most terrible airport we experienced in a very long time. This airport has been designed by a marathon runner and is totally wrongly designed with customers lugging connecting luggage through the whole airport even if luggage has been tagged through the final destination. This airport should have invested money in a proper flow chart of Pax not waste money on waterfalls and Haida sculptures. Security is done again on connecting flights even you have been cleared by security on the previous flight. Security cannot cope with PAX since connecting pax are screen twice. This airport should be totally leveled and completely properly rebuilt by somebody who knows passenger flows etc. What a waste of taxpayers money.
Date VisitNovember 2018