Vancouver Airport

"it was very open, spacious, and inviting"

Trip Verified | This airport was one of the best I've been to, most likely my favourite. There was plenty of very beautiful artwork throughout the terminal, and it was very open, spacious, and inviting. There was plenty of seats available, it was very clean, and there was an extensive selection of food and beverage stores in the E gates. The directions were very clear, and all the staff were very friendly and willing to help. The lines at security and customs and immigration were very short. The Wi-Fi there was free and very fast. Overall, this is an excellent airport: it considerably exceeded my expectations, and I would go out of my way to fly through YVR again.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Long lines, slow security personnel"

Trip Verified | Overall the airport is good but customs lines and security is always a nightmare. Long lines, slow security personnel. The guy literally body scanned me for 2 minutes holding up a big line behind me. The management needs to go walk through these lines and see why this airport is rated only 5/10. All the Asia airports (4 in last 24 hrs) were smooth as silk.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"struggling to cope"

Not Verified | The food options at YVR are improving but the amount of time spent waiting is unbelievable. Slow and long lines for security while departing. The customs hall for arrivals is a total mess with many passengers confused and in the wrong line up. I have waited up to an hour for my checked luggage to arrive on the belt. YVR is very aesthetically-pleasing but it is struggling to cope with the number of passengers it is receiving.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"staff once again were kind and genuine"

Trip Verified | I want to thank the kind people of Air New Zealand for their professional yet caring handling of my recent situation. Somewhere between Calgary and Vancouver, I lost or had my passport stolen and was unable to board my flight to Auckland with my family. The staff were persistent in helping me in my near panicked state to search my bags while the aircraft was being readied for flight. Unable to produce a passport, the staff sympathetically ushered me to a place in the airport where I met a family member. When I returned to the airport the next day after miraculously acquiring a new passport, flight and Visas, the friendly staff of Air New Zealand greeted me with the same warmth and compassion I had experienced the night before. They informed me that I had been bumped up to Business class and was offered access to the VIP lounge in the airport before my flight. Once inside the Lounge and breathing again for the first time in a day, Douglas Siefert, Vancouver Airport Operations Manager came to the lounge to personally greet me and ensure I was aware of the many luxuries including fabulous food and drinks that I was free to take advantage of. When boarding the flight, the staff once again were kind and genuine, having recognized how overwhelmed I had been the night before watching my family depart on the flight which I could not depart on. I just want to say thank you to the team who so kindly helped me. That was my first experience in Business class and what a way to start my vacation! This was a long awaited holiday where my son, wife and their 8 month old were travelling with me to Australia for my other sons graduation from medical school and then onto New Zealand for Christmas. Having lost my husband in the summer of 2018, this was going to be a very special time with my boys and their wives and families. You can imagine how I would have felt when I couldn't board the flight which was the beginning of this vacation! The staff did not know my story yet were kind, helpful and accommodating. This is a story I will tell over and over as their kindness (which seems to be rarer and rarer these days), made such an impact on me and the experience In Business class was like none other. It goes to show that simple acts of kindness will always be appreciated. We don’t often know what someone else is going through so in the words of another “be kind to each other”! Thank you again Air New Zealand!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"a lot of complaints online but nothing changes"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | The airline check-in staff are always very pleasant and accommodating. But the security Staff scanning the luggage are always unpleasant and rude to passengers scolding them. Also the security scanning the hand carrying luggage are always trying to pick an argument with passengers and are very rude, unpleasant and condescending to passengers. I have been through Vancouver airport a dozen times in 2018 and 2019 and always the same experience with Vancouver airport security, it seems there are a lot of complaints online but nothing changes.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"waited for over 1 hour at the check-in"

Not Verified | This airport is a nice hub airport in Canada. I live in Vancouver and I am on a vacation to Lima. The massive lineup at the check-in is terrible. I waited for over 1 hour at the check-in on my way for a connection in Mexico City.

"Seriously awful experience"

Not Verified | Disgusted. Waited over an hour for my luggage to be unloaded from BA0085. Nobody was interested in my connecting flight which luckily was delayed. Security decided to take my duty free apart and test it even though I explained I was time limited to catch my flight. I was very calm and nice to security. Seriously awful experience.

"30 min at security"

Trip Verified | Even with a Nexus card, wait more than 30 min at security. By then no food options, the lounge is closed. I planned to pass security early to eat something after but I end up starving.

"Confusing system"

Not Verified | Confusing system, arrival security steps unnecessary and annoying. Multiple staff verbally calling out for connecting flights confirms its a flawed confusing system. Can't leave without ridiculous photo booth pictures. People are tired, dazed after a long flight, thrown into moronic maze of confusion, bad airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Average airport at best"

Trip Verified | Average airport at best but televisions in waiting areas only showing news in French instead of English the worldwide accepted language. What shows they did in English were all female-based like The View. Airport personal in charge of setting stations should stick to an English all-news channel to be gender-neutral.
Date VisitNovember 2019