Vancouver Airport

"the immigration officers weren't interacting very pleasantly with incoming visitors"

Trip Verified | This airport is quite...the experience. Upon arrival from the US, using the passport scanning machine was a breeze. Waiting in line to speak with an immigration officer was not, in true Canadian fashion, the immigration officers weren't interacting very pleasantly with incoming visitors (the worst I've encountered in about 20 countries). Even though I had proof of a negative PCR test result and proof of full vaccination, I was still ordered to undergo a PCR test in the airport, as a random selectee (pursuant to Canada's Quarantine Act). The on-site personnel who registered patients and administered the tests were very courteous, which I appreciated. Nevertheless, while I greatly appreciate that Canada is taking this pandemic far more seriously and responsibly than the US, this random selection added some serious stress to the first 24 or so hours of my trip. Thankfully, I never had to actually quarantine anyway, as I tested negative and was even able to present that negative result for reentry to the US! Now, I'm glad to say that departing from Vancouver to go back to the US was a much easier process. All I had to do was present that PCR negative to the airline check-in in order to obtain my ticket, then go through Canadian security (as unpleasant as their immigration), then go through US immigration and customs using Global Entry. Using GE, I breezed through the US checkpoint in less than five minutes, with the most pleasant and professional immigration officer I've ever met (her fellow US officers, as well as Canada, should take pointers from her!) Then once in the trans-border section of the terminal, there were relatively few stores and restaurants open (due to COVID), but I was still able to buy coffee, souvenirs and lunch with ease, and pleasant service. The gate agent for United was also pleasant. The views upon arrival and departure can be spectacular. My only real complaints about this airport are the Canadian immigration and customs process, as well as the crummy restrooms and the fact that the facility is largely outdated, dirty, and just kind of depressing. All in all, YVR is slightly below-average. However, if you're flying to the "Canadian Southwest"/US Pacific NW, then Seattle's airport is also generally dumpy, and Victoria (BC), Abbottsford (BC), and Bellingham (WA) will all be rather inconvenient to get to from Vancouver, so I guess YVR unfortunately doesn't find any incentive to improve at this time.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"the absolute worst airport I have ever been through"

Not Verified | Must say after traveling around Asia for many years, Vancouver Airport is the absolute worst airport I have ever been through. Super long lines for baggage claim and even longer for Immigration. Waiting for baggage for over 45 minutes and being questioned for 30 minutes by a customs officer before I even got to Customs. They wander around the baggage area after a 13 hour flight from Taipei, the Customs kept confusing Taiwan with Thailand and sent me to secondary inspection. Tried to explain that they are two different countries, but the guy had no clue. Your job is to protect our country and you don't even know basic geography? 1.5 hours later after having all my bags ripped apart, I was finally allowed to exit Manila Airport is a piece of cake compared to Vancouver Airport.
Date VisitJune 2020

"it was very open, spacious, and inviting"

Trip Verified | This airport was one of the best I've been to, most likely my favourite. There was plenty of very beautiful artwork throughout the terminal, and it was very open, spacious, and inviting. There was plenty of seats available, it was very clean, and there was an extensive selection of food and beverage stores in the E gates. The directions were very clear, and all the staff were very friendly and willing to help. The lines at security and customs and immigration were very short. The Wi-Fi there was free and very fast. Overall, this is an excellent airport: it considerably exceeded my expectations, and I would go out of my way to fly through YVR again.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Long lines, slow security personnel"

Trip Verified | Overall the airport is good but customs lines and security is always a nightmare. Long lines, slow security personnel. The guy literally body scanned me for 2 minutes holding up a big line behind me. The management needs to go walk through these lines and see why this airport is rated only 5/10. All the Asia airports (4 in last 24 hrs) were smooth as silk.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"struggling to cope"

Not Verified | The food options at YVR are improving but the amount of time spent waiting is unbelievable. Slow and long lines for security while departing. The customs hall for arrivals is a total mess with many passengers confused and in the wrong line up. I have waited up to an hour for my checked luggage to arrive on the belt. YVR is very aesthetically-pleasing but it is struggling to cope with the number of passengers it is receiving.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"staff once again were kind and genuine"

Trip Verified | I want to thank the kind people of Air New Zealand for their professional yet caring handling of my recent situation. Somewhere between Calgary and Vancouver, I lost or had my passport stolen and was unable to board my flight to Auckland with my family. The staff were persistent in helping me in my near panicked state to search my bags while the aircraft was being readied for flight. Unable to produce a passport, the staff sympathetically ushered me to a place in the airport where I met a family member. When I returned to the airport the next day after miraculously acquiring a new passport, flight and Visas, the friendly staff of Air New Zealand greeted me with the same warmth and compassion I had experienced the night before. They informed me that I had been bumped up to Business class and was offered access to the VIP lounge in the airport before my flight. Once inside the Lounge and breathing again for the first time in a day, Douglas Siefert, Vancouver Airport Operations Manager came to the lounge to personally greet me and ensure I was aware of the many luxuries including fabulous food and drinks that I was free to take advantage of. When boarding the flight, the staff once again were kind and genuine, having recognized how overwhelmed I had been the night before watching my family depart on the flight which I could not depart on. I just want to say thank you to the team who so kindly helped me. That was my first experience in Business class and what a way to start my vacation! This was a long awaited holiday where my son, wife and their 8 month old were travelling with me to Australia for my other sons graduation from medical school and then onto New Zealand for Christmas. Having lost my husband in the summer of 2018, this was going to be a very special time with my boys and their wives and families. You can imagine how I would have felt when I couldn't board the flight which was the beginning of this vacation! The staff did not know my story yet were kind, helpful and accommodating. This is a story I will tell over and over as their kindness (which seems to be rarer and rarer these days), made such an impact on me and the experience In Business class was like none other. It goes to show that simple acts of kindness will always be appreciated. We don’t often know what someone else is going through so in the words of another “be kind to each other”! Thank you again Air New Zealand!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"a lot of complaints online but nothing changes"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | The airline check-in staff are always very pleasant and accommodating. But the security Staff scanning the luggage are always unpleasant and rude to passengers scolding them. Also the security scanning the hand carrying luggage are always trying to pick an argument with passengers and are very rude, unpleasant and condescending to passengers. I have been through Vancouver airport a dozen times in 2018 and 2019 and always the same experience with Vancouver airport security, it seems there are a lot of complaints online but nothing changes.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"waited for over 1 hour at the check-in"

Not Verified | This airport is a nice hub airport in Canada. I live in Vancouver and I am on a vacation to Lima. The massive lineup at the check-in is terrible. I waited for over 1 hour at the check-in on my way for a connection in Mexico City.

"Seriously awful experience"

Not Verified | Disgusted. Waited over an hour for my luggage to be unloaded from BA0085. Nobody was interested in my connecting flight which luckily was delayed. Security decided to take my duty free apart and test it even though I explained I was time limited to catch my flight. I was very calm and nice to security. Seriously awful experience.

"30 min at security"

Trip Verified | Even with a Nexus card, wait more than 30 min at security. By then no food options, the lounge is closed. I planned to pass security early to eat something after but I end up starving.