Vancouver Airport

"the worst immigration setup I have seen"

Not Verified | I have travelled through many airports but YVR has to take the cake as the worst immigration setup I have seen. Dozens of kiosks empty of passengers and no staff to direct pax to them. When you get through this snake like maze there were only two (2) officers to process the pax. Literally hundreds of pax going nowhere after enduring flights of up to 15 hours. After enduring this disaster went outside to the taxi rank to more mayhem. Snake like queue again outdoors, lucky it was not raining or snowing, very slow processing. Never again would rather go to Seattle and transfer.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Worst security experience"

Trip Verified | Worst security experience. Be prepared for any and all necessary and unnecessary delays by incompetent workers, who sit around speaking to each other in their own mother-languages and don't stop their personal conversations to assist travelers. Yesterday's flights were Seattle to YYC, connecting through YVR. We had to disembark, follow poor signage to pick up luggage, that I thought had been checked all the way through, but turns out was only ticketed all the way through. So, go to baggage claim, pick up luggage, go back to West Jet, check back in, wait for employees to stop chatting so they could override the kiosk check-in system, which would not accept my pre-ticketed suitcase. Check in suitcase, get new boarding passes, go through security. Security was an absolute nightmare. Get shuffled into the new, and poorly designed, cattle type belt, with one person per one narrow space. As I pull my purse strap off my 25 yo diamond earring that my husband gave me for our wedding (and is the ONLY earring I have ever worn) goes flying off my right ear, and I'm being bumped from both left and right sides, and it literally becomes a brutal race by all security passengers to force their own plastic bin onto the belt first. But I suffered a TBI (traumatic brain injury) and don't have the balance and stability to keep bending down to retrieve a plastic bin and stand straight back up, without assistance. As I do this 4 times, to accommodate their separation rules, I notice my son accidentally left a pack of smoked salmon we purchased in Seattle, so I reach over to pick it up and lose my balance. He's 20 yo and has no excuse, accept to say that everyone is so harried, no one can peacefully load up their bins. Next I attempt to walk through the security scanner, and have to give that 3 tries: 1 to remove a bracelet,1 to remove a fabric belt with metal buckle, 1 to remove my runners. When I attempt to ask for assistance to locate my earring lost in the shuffle, I notice behind 2 security guards, that my entire suitcase is opened on a metal table in front of someone else! I darted over to that table to ask what was gong on? Only to be told I couldn't travel with that many cosmetics. What really embarrassed me was that the inept guard also removed a clearly marked bag of medications, for the entire line behind me now forming to see.There's absolutely no privacy and no respect for privacy. I am utterly embarrassed, with no shoes, no belt, no purse, I'm sorting through the mess this guard just made to cram my travel size toiletries into the prescribed plastic bag. I was unnerved to say the least. I ask where the rest of my belongings are, and he says he doesn't know. I ask for a manager at this point, who takes several minutes to appear and am literally told to my face that this is how it's being done 'today.' The guard also broke the zipper on my Coach purse trying to zip it close.
Date VisitJune 2019

"try to avoid this airport as much as I can"

Not Verified | I was in transit to go to Tokyo from Portland, OR. Even in transit, they make us go through immigration and customs with hundreds of people. I ended out totally outside and then go through security to get to an airport lounge. The whole process took me 1 hour and 20 minutes. This must be a new system, which wasn’t working. There were lots of empty kiosks and several “foreign passport lines.” This system is stupid and I would try to avoid this airport as much as I can in the future!
Date VisitMay 2019

"staff interactions have been good"

Not Verified | This Airport has a vibe of its own, its big, busy and lot of people can be seen around. Well connected by Sky Train as well. Have use this for international and domestic travel and the staff interactions have been good. Good connectivity to Asian destinations with lots of flights to China, Japan, Hong Kong.

"Worst airport anywhere"

Trip Verified | Worst airport anywhere. No customer service. Waited 2 hrs for bags, nobody cared. The announcements in baggage claim are non stop and are deafening. Then after all that you emerge outside to a taxi line up a 100 people deep. Avoid this over-rated city and its terrible airport. This is my thirrd bad experience in a row at this trainwreck of an airport.
Date VisitMay 2019

"an absolute disgrace"

Trip Verified | 17 April 2019, we traveled from Adelaide, Australia, via Auckland, New Zealand, through YVR around 2pm to Calgary. We are almost 80 years old. We had been traveling 24 hours when we reached YVR. In all previous security checks on our journey we had been dealt with expeditiously with no problems. The service at security in Terminal C was an absolute disgrace. Firstly we were traveling Business Class but the first agent did not recognize Air New Zealand boarding passes and we were directed through the general lane. Secondly agent was exceptionally inefficient directing people to appropriate lines. He appeared completely disinterested and slowed down the whole process. Thirdly we were sent to line 7 for which the X ray scanner was taking about 3 minutes per item. Our time in processing was around 40 minutes. We were not the only people exceptionally frustrated. Others complained. Finally I asked who was the person in charge. He said his name but would not give his last name. He was with a group of agents who were just standing around talking and not making any efforts to speed the process. He should certainly not be running the operation if he cannot do things better. This experience at YVR was a disgrace to Canada. We have traveled extensively, including through LAX which is bad, but YVR should be avoided at all costs.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Taxi line always long and slow"

Not Verified | Taxi line here is always long and slow. For some odd reason, taxis don’t wait at the taxi line. They wait a few minutes drive away and only come 5 at a time. This is by far the worst taxi lineup I have experienced at any airport anywhere. It’s ridiculous. As a result, passengers who know speed walk (and some literally run) off airplanes to get to the taxi line first.
Date VisitApril 2019

"One hour and 25 minutes"

Not Verified | One hour and 25 minutes from AF374 plane landing early afternoon Mar 17 2019 until final group of baggage arrived on the carousel. (They did announce an apology for baggage delay after 1 hour). Enough said.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"Poor customer service"

Trip Verified | Poor customer service for travellers with disabilities. YVR is a large airport, crutching along with a broken leg from international to domestic is no easy task. Not a single customer service employee came to my aid to offer assistance. Coming from Acapulco &; Mexico City there were customer service employees waiting for me pre and post flights with my name and a wheelchair ready to wheel me through security & to the next gate for flight. Customer Service in Mexico 10/10, Vancouver YVR 0/10.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"I was impressed"

Trip Verified | Spacious and tidy airport with varied and extensive shopping and dining opportunities. Children's play areas, art works, big and clean signage - all abound. Free wi-fi, lots of seating, clean toilets. I arrived quite late at night - after midnight. Without checked luggage I was able to exit the airport without any delay. Cabs waited in line outside the terminal - they accept credit cards. On return, I arrived a bit early because of bad weather. Thus, I had time to walk around to explore the airport. I was impressed. Shops carried local Native Canadian art work and there were both fast food and more formal eateries. Like many other Canadian airports, Vancouver also provides pre-clearance immigration and customs entry into the U.S. However, for the flight I was taking, because it left after 10 pm, this service was not available. I was directed to another gate on the other side of the terminal. I ended up doing the immigration and customs at my destination in JFK - as with everyone else on my flight. Security check was similar to the US and was unhurried - at that time I was the only person undergoing a check! Once you are through the security area, you are greeted with numerous shops. A wonderful airport - large floor to ceiling glass panels offer beautiful views. I generated the boarding pass and the lounge pass from a vending machine. I used the Cathay Pacific lounge which is on one floor above. Again, great views. Lounge hours are limited to arrival and departure of the company's flights. Staff generally friendly and greet you in both English and French.
Date VisitJanuary 2019