Vancouver Airport

"restaurants are truly horrid"

Trip Verified | Ok, so I’ve flown out of this airport to North American destinations and the departures lounge, the restaurants, seating everything really are of top class. Not crappy takeaway booths. However today I used the international, boy the poor suckers who have to use this are left with a final remainder of Canada that is truly dross. The duty free stocks nothing but Canadian stuff, “World duty free” as long as it’s Canadian. The restaurants are truly horrid. If you can even call them that. The only good testimony I can leave this place is Canadas amazing acceptance for immigration and integration but then again when you need help or direction and the staff have bare minimal English/French skills and my Mandarin sucks things become stalemate fast.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"staff were unhelpful and signage was poor"

Not Verified | I travelled from Manchester to Vancouver, which was a very good flight. The arrival process however took over 1 and a half hours from landing to getting through security. This time was spent queuing in queue after queue. There was little communication from staff about the reasons for the delay. Staff appeared at best disinterested and had low customer service skills. This meant people waiting had a most unpleasant experience. Immigration was very slow and again staff were unhelpful and signage was poor. It was the worst experience I have ever had arriving at an airport and the process fell well below the standards that were expected. A poor welcome to Vancouver.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"Worst airport for international transit"

Not Verified | Worst airport for international transit. Understaffed, slow at customs and securities. A lot of difficult procedures. Someone took our baggage out and airport is almost of no help to coordinate or provide a solution.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"Difficult to find where to check in"

Trip Verified | Difficult to find where to check in unless you are flying within Canada or to the US. Needs labelled zones and active screens as at most major airports. Going through US immigration at the airport is a great boon. Quick and uncongested when I did it. Strange thing was, though, that you had your photo and fingerprints taken at an automatic gate and then had to go to a uniformed US immigration officer to have the same process repeated.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Wait, wait, wait for everything"

Not Verified | The staff at every outlet and service are inept and extremely slow. Wait, wait, wait for everything. Starbucks being the worst and out of basic ingredients when you finally get to order. How does a mega chain with minimal items run out of menu items. Despicable, deplorable, painful airport.

"very poor signage"

Trip Verified | Parking at this airport is a nightmare. Construction everywhere and very poor signage. It has always been the case with the poor signage but now with the construction it is worse. Parking attendants told me this week that they get constant complaints from people about the poor signage and as a result of confusion and the stress of missing flight check in times people are often end up in the highest priced daily parking area. I did speak to three different people about this and here is the response I received: "I spoke with my Manager and she advised there is plenty of additional signage in advance of the airport, prior to the construction areas, which directs people to the VLT (Value Long Term), as well as the jetSet lot, as well as signage directing people to turn for additional parking options." Shamefully poor response. The rest of the services are good but parking and signage, and management response was horrible .
Date VisitJuly 2018

"an attractive airport"

Trip Verified | Twice transited with Air Canada which has its own terminal. Being Australian my baggage was checked through to my final Canadian destination. No immigration/customs forms were given on the plane. No need. There was quite a lot of walking involved to get to immigration, on the way I met a green coated volunteer who kindly told me what to do and the gate of my next flight at 10am (landed 7am). At immigration there are a series of machines where you scan your passport and answer questions. At the end a piece of paper with my picture came out. I showed the lady at the immigration desk area who directed me to the right. Just one person before me, a few questions asked and then I was in, There is a lift to the left that goes up to domestic. There the security people were very impatient that visitors didn’t know their ways (ie you put even your carry on in a bin). After that experience I found the unremarkable lounge (worst ever experienced) being crowded, dirty toilets and little to offer. Returning was odd, arrived on the same plane that would take us to Sydney however we had to walk down a long passage to come all the way back to the same gate. Odd. All in all an attractive airport that seems to prioritise it’s attractive displays over functionality,
Date VisitJuly 2018

"red cap was outstanding"

Not Verified | My wife and I are senior citizens and had some heavy luggage, and decided to use a Red Cap for $10.00. Our red cap was outstanding. Our bags were overweight and we would have to pay $100, but helped us repack our luggage and saved us the penalty. It was well worth the $10.00, and unfortunately I only had $2.00 cash for an extra tip.

"friendly, but inefficient"

Not Verified | My family has US Global Entry, but both machines were out of service. Luckily, there was no line. However, once we got into US customs, we had to wait for our bags to be scanned. Although, there were only a couple dozen people waiting, that queue quickly grew to around 200 people. My wife's bag didn't clear until 100 minutes later and we missed our flight. Mind you, we'd just spent 10+ hours on a flight back from China. Now, we won't get back home until tomorrow morning and have to add another segment. The entire time, the agents said they couldn't do anything and tried to blame Air Canada. The airline blamed customs new scanning system and mentioned there have been problems for the past few days. We then waited for over an hour to inquire about rebooking our flight. There were only 2 people ahead of us. I don't know what to believe, but know this. We will avoid flights through Canada in the future and will avoid using Air Canada again. They are friendly, but inefficient. Hopefully, they can get their act together and not ruin anyone else's vacation.
Date VisitJune 2018

"the worst I have ever been through"

Not Verified | I can say that by far the security at the airport is the worst I have ever been through. My flight coming in from Europe was delayed so I was already running late for my flight and waiting for 45 minutes in a security line where there is about 100 people and only one security lane open is ridiculous. Some of the staff were nice but others were not considerate of time and told me “oh well.” Perhaps this was just a one time mistake but in all my experience was not ideal, at all.