Vancouver Airport

"unfriendly, aggressive and demanding"

Trip Verified | Staff: Air Canada at the check-in desk: blunt, unfriendly, aggressive. You feel uncomfortable asking them. Poor treatment toward non-English speakers especially. Very few spoke Mandarin to support large demographic. Security staff: unfriendly, aggressive and demanding. Needs to be way more staff for the volume of people going through. Few people working were so mean and frustrated. I was treated very well and spoke to kindly. Primarily Asians were yelled at, rude remarks were made too. The women was angry that they did not speak English. Security: huge line! There were only 2 security points out of 5 open at 8am with many flights. Line was 40 minutes for us, later I saw the line almost out the front door. Nexus line was closed till 10, as was Visa Infinite line. Food area in international is small, but has a general variety of food. It was fine. Recommendations: more staff with open security booths. More staff who speak Mandarin. Timer for how long security takes. More staff to take burden off the few who are there, they were way too stressed out. Signs for expectations at security multi-lingual
Date VisitAugust 2019

"an absolute disgrace to Vancouver"

(New Zealand)

NotVerified | Vancouver and it’s inhabitants were fabulous. Friendly, wonderfully helpful and it has been a great experience in our time there. However, not so Vancouver airport! The World Duty Free was the worst I have ever encountered. Nearly all the staff were on cell phones and simply could not be bothered helping. When I did manage to get someone it was as though you were a complete nusience in asking them to drag themselves away from their cell phones. Then when there was no one in attendance at one area would anyone help from another area? No way. If I was in charge of this store I would sort out the staff, their "I don’t care about you" attitude. It is an absolute disgrace to Vancouver and it’s fabulous city and people infact it’s an embarrassment. To encounter such dreadful attitudes as visitors leave your country needs to be addressed. I have rarely written a bad review however I feel very strongly about this. The "Information centre" staff can’t muster up a smile or a decent greeting. When I asked one staff member in the domestic area (although I was international) after I said 'Hi May I ask for a bit of help with storing luggage' if it was a bad day for her, as the greeting I got was 'almost, out of line' she replied 'I’m waiting for you to get on and tell me what you want!' No smile and an angry voice! Vancouver please do something about your staff attitude and manner because it’s unacceptable for such a wonderful country.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"completely disorganized and lacks appropriate signage"

Not Verified | The parking is completely disorganized and lacks appropriate signage. You get a "token" when you enter the parking area. What do you do with the token? Well there's no signs to tell you. (If you aren't psychic its helpful to bring it with you because there are kiosks by the stairwell to pay). Part of the parkade was blocked off for construction and motorist were left to navigate their own detours, there was no personnel to assist with the chaos. Customs. Well, my experience echoes the rest, it's a disgrace and needs looking into. People with valid Visas wait hours and hours to enter the country they are pre-approved for. Perhaps CBSA could consider placing the visitors that haven't learned the official language, lack communication resources, and/or are ill-prepared/disorganized in a separate queue? The architecture is nice. There are lots of shopping and food options but the place is a zoo. Long customs delays caused us to miss our ferry reservation and continued through the last ferry, causing us to spend a needless night in Vancouver.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"YVR is expensive to purchase anything"

Trip Verified | My "home" airport but I do a lot of international travel so can compare to others. Inbound: Entry can be a problem for visitors (I see the long lineups for Immigration/Customs (Canada does it in 1 step rather than the 2 of most countries which is one of the reasons for the many delays - overloading of manpower). Read other reviews I use the Nexus/Trusted traveler option so no delays here - about as quick as going through normal EU Immigration at LHR: which highlights the 'pain' that tourists feel at YVR. But, all that time saving at Immigration is for nothing since the baggage handling is so poor, and why it is not reported as such in other reviews. It is almost like the baggage handling is designed to make the Immigration department look good - "my bag just gets to the carousel when I finally make it through Immigration". Outbound, Pleasant surroundings but YVR is expensive to purchase anything (more so than LHR, FRA, AMS for example). For locals this is a real slap in the face since one of the specific promises made by the Government and the YVR Management Company to the citizens who (through the Crown) own the airport would be that they would have pricing comparable to downtown locations. Services provided are ok in extent, but too often the server cannot speak English, which is hard to swallow for a country with English as its official language and located in British columbia. I bet that European/African tourists shake their heads. On the positive side it would be possible for an Asian language tourist to find a server that speaks their language.
Date VisitApril 2019

"not international friendly at all"

Trip Verified | I will never travel to this airport again. I literally saw an old man almost have a heart attack his gate was so far away. I had to walk 20 min to get to my international gate. Customs line was 75 people with 1 guy at the desk taking connecting flights, had no help with customs kiosk tried 3,making me have to run. Every time I fly from USA to Canada I have to walk 20 min. What is wrong with you, not international friendly at all.

"Worst immigration process"

Trip Verified | Worst immigration process I’ve ever been through! As a former flight attendant who traveled quite extensively internationally, I cannot believe how poorly the signage and lack of personnel direction was all the way through. There were many, many people complaining while we stood in our third long line of checking in. There was no sign stating to wait your turn so when the line started moving we walked forward. An immigration officer yelled at us because “we were supposed to wait our turn.” We didn’t realize we had crossed a line. Then he threatened to make us miss our flight when we simply stated there was no signage telling us to wait. My father is in a wheelchair and instead of assisting us, he called at least 15 pax from another line. He didn’t just hold us up but the flight crew in line behind us. Total jerk with a badge, shame on you, Canada Customs! What we did see was a lot of employees standing around, talking or doing absolutely nothing. I will never return to this airport, Seattle is not that far away.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"the worst immigration setup I have seen"

Not Verified | I have travelled through many airports but YVR has to take the cake as the worst immigration setup I have seen. Dozens of kiosks empty of passengers and no staff to direct pax to them. When you get through this snake like maze there were only two (2) officers to process the pax. Literally hundreds of pax going nowhere after enduring flights of up to 15 hours. After enduring this disaster went outside to the taxi rank to more mayhem. Snake like queue again outdoors, lucky it was not raining or snowing, very slow processing. Never again would rather go to Seattle and transfer.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Worst security experience"

Trip Verified | Worst security experience. Be prepared for any and all necessary and unnecessary delays by incompetent workers, who sit around speaking to each other in their own mother-languages and don't stop their personal conversations to assist travelers. Yesterday's flights were Seattle to YYC, connecting through YVR. We had to disembark, follow poor signage to pick up luggage, that I thought had been checked all the way through, but turns out was only ticketed all the way through. So, go to baggage claim, pick up luggage, go back to West Jet, check back in, wait for employees to stop chatting so they could override the kiosk check-in system, which would not accept my pre-ticketed suitcase. Check in suitcase, get new boarding passes, go through security. Security was an absolute nightmare. Get shuffled into the new, and poorly designed, cattle type belt, with one person per one narrow space. As I pull my purse strap off my 25 yo diamond earring that my husband gave me for our wedding (and is the ONLY earring I have ever worn) goes flying off my right ear, and I'm being bumped from both left and right sides, and it literally becomes a brutal race by all security passengers to force their own plastic bin onto the belt first. But I suffered a TBI (traumatic brain injury) and don't have the balance and stability to keep bending down to retrieve a plastic bin and stand straight back up, without assistance. As I do this 4 times, to accommodate their separation rules, I notice my son accidentally left a pack of smoked salmon we purchased in Seattle, so I reach over to pick it up and lose my balance. He's 20 yo and has no excuse, accept to say that everyone is so harried, no one can peacefully load up their bins. Next I attempt to walk through the security scanner, and have to give that 3 tries: 1 to remove a bracelet,1 to remove a fabric belt with metal buckle, 1 to remove my runners. When I attempt to ask for assistance to locate my earring lost in the shuffle, I notice behind 2 security guards, that my entire suitcase is opened on a metal table in front of someone else! I darted over to that table to ask what was gong on? Only to be told I couldn't travel with that many cosmetics. What really embarrassed me was that the inept guard also removed a clearly marked bag of medications, for the entire line behind me now forming to see.There's absolutely no privacy and no respect for privacy. I am utterly embarrassed, with no shoes, no belt, no purse, I'm sorting through the mess this guard just made to cram my travel size toiletries into the prescribed plastic bag. I was unnerved to say the least. I ask where the rest of my belongings are, and he says he doesn't know. I ask for a manager at this point, who takes several minutes to appear and am literally told to my face that this is how it's being done 'today.' The guard also broke the zipper on my Coach purse trying to zip it close.
Date VisitJune 2019

"try to avoid this airport as much as I can"

Not Verified | I was in transit to go to Tokyo from Portland, OR. Even in transit, they make us go through immigration and customs with hundreds of people. I ended out totally outside and then go through security to get to an airport lounge. The whole process took me 1 hour and 20 minutes. This must be a new system, which wasn’t working. There were lots of empty kiosks and several “foreign passport lines.” This system is stupid and I would try to avoid this airport as much as I can in the future!
Date VisitMay 2019

"staff interactions have been good"

Not Verified | This Airport has a vibe of its own, its big, busy and lot of people can be seen around. Well connected by Sky Train as well. Have use this for international and domestic travel and the staff interactions have been good. Good connectivity to Asian destinations with lots of flights to China, Japan, Hong Kong.
Date VisitApril 2019