Vancouver Airport

"helpfulness of staff was atrocious"

Not Verified | Waiting times, helpfulness of staff was atrocious. No care, sense of urgency, or desire for people to make their flights. No care taken to ensure people waited in proper lines or helped when needed.

"disappointing us enormously"

Not Verified | We arrived after a 10-hour flight from Switzerland. All passengers stood and waited at the wrong baggage belt. Negative experiences continued when leaving two weeks later, disappointing us enormously. I personally will never willingly use Vancouver Airport again if I can possibly avoid it.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"no transportation help available"

Trip Verified | If you have mobility issues avoid this airport. There was no transportation help available arriving from international and then connecting domestic. The staff directing people at customs barely spoke English (should be expected in Canada) and were no help. We had to take a bus to transfer terminals and then had to walk up 4 long, narrow and steep ramps - no option of elevator. I have not seen a worse North American airport for mobility challenged passengers. Mexico City was better! I’m giving them a 1 because it was very clean.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the most disorganized airport"

Trip Verified | This is the most disorganized airport - including customs. My inbound flight from Denver was delayed - the Air Canada agent told me to tell the person in customs that I was delayed and they would help. The woman in the customs area could not care one bit, she said just wait in line. Totally bad experience - maybe I should spend my vacation $$ in a country that values and understands customer service. Terrible first impression!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Not a good lasting impression of Canada"

Not Verified | Calm airport but avoid Lift Bar and Grill. Waited around 10 minutes for the waitress to seat a family of six but failed to notice the couples that I just wanted a drink at the bar. Eventually sat down to be greeted by a staff member crashing, smashing and slamming around. He was aggressive and rude. Not a good lasting impression of Canada. If he was part of my staff he would be sacked immediately.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"severely inadequate seating"

(China)

Not Verified | Transiting from Shanghai to Calgary back to Shanghai. The international departure terminal is complete chaos. Food court area has severely inadequate seating with people fighting tooth and nail for every available seat. Long lines to order a simple hamburger. Security is a nightmare with people everywhere. Place is severely understaffed and under equipped. Transmitting from international flight to domestic is a nightmare and do not even think about doing that (we learned our lesson the hard way). We missed our connecting flight due to poor signage, causing us to have to take our luggage out into the general area and walk 2 miles to check back in. What an absolute nightmare. We will never transit through this airport again when there are so many better options.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"the organisation is normally excellent"

Not Verified | After a long 10 hour flight we were placed to do our ESTAS but we didn't know what was to happen next - a 3 hour wait - this was without food or seats. Once into the country we went to get our baggage to our surprise it was order alphabetically this was a long awaited great end to our experience. I've been to this airport many times before and what strikes me is the organisation it is normally excellent.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"most confusing airport"

Not Verified | The most confusing airport we have ever visited. We thought Sharm el Sheikh was bad but this was worse. People shouting out instructions all over the place and contradicting each other. Avoid if possible.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"unfriendly, aggressive and demanding"

Trip Verified | Staff: Air Canada at the check-in desk: blunt, unfriendly, aggressive. You feel uncomfortable asking them. Poor treatment toward non-English speakers especially. Very few spoke Mandarin to support large demographic. Security staff: unfriendly, aggressive and demanding. Needs to be way more staff for the volume of people going through. Few people working were so mean and frustrated. I was treated very well and spoke to kindly. Primarily Asians were yelled at, rude remarks were made too. The women was angry that they did not speak English. Security: huge line! There were only 2 security points out of 5 open at 8am with many flights. Line was 40 minutes for us, later I saw the line almost out the front door. Nexus line was closed till 10, as was Visa Infinite line. Food area in international is small, but has a general variety of food. It was fine. Recommendations: more staff with open security booths. More staff who speak Mandarin. Timer for how long security takes. More staff to take burden off the few who are there, they were way too stressed out. Signs for expectations at security multi-lingual
Date VisitAugust 2019

"an absolute disgrace to Vancouver"

(New Zealand)

NotVerified | Vancouver and it’s inhabitants were fabulous. Friendly, wonderfully helpful and it has been a great experience in our time there. However, not so Vancouver airport! The World Duty Free was the worst I have ever encountered. Nearly all the staff were on cell phones and simply could not be bothered helping. When I did manage to get someone it was as though you were a complete nusience in asking them to drag themselves away from their cell phones. Then when there was no one in attendance at one area would anyone help from another area? No way. If I was in charge of this store I would sort out the staff, their "I don’t care about you" attitude. It is an absolute disgrace to Vancouver and it’s fabulous city and people infact it’s an embarrassment. To encounter such dreadful attitudes as visitors leave your country needs to be addressed. I have rarely written a bad review however I feel very strongly about this. The "Information centre" staff can’t muster up a smile or a decent greeting. When I asked one staff member in the domestic area (although I was international) after I said 'Hi May I ask for a bit of help with storing luggage' if it was a bad day for her, as the greeting I got was 'almost, out of line' she replied 'I’m waiting for you to get on and tell me what you want!' No smile and an angry voice! Vancouver please do something about your staff attitude and manner because it’s unacceptable for such a wonderful country.