Tel Aviv Airport

(New Zealand)

Security procedures at this airport are so onerous and badly organised it is a wonder anyone visits Israel. When I visited the airport in May 2011 to catch a flight to Cairo (which El Al Israel Airlines had cancelled without telling me beforehand) I was interrogated and searched at the checkpoint outside the airport then subjected to another lengthy interrogation bag screening etc inside the terminal. I don't object to sensible security checks but I do object to being made to queue for nearly an hour especially when most of the security staff are standing around talking and not doing their jobs.

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

Arrived 3 hrs 10 min prior to a Lufthansa flight. By the time we made it through security and passport control we had no time whatever to even look at the shops restaurants or restroom facilities in the airport. We arrived at our gate just as boarding began unable to take advantage of using the business class lounge for which we had paid. I have no quarrel with the intense security measures at TLV but I do have a quarrel with a totally inadequate number of staff to handle this many people within a short period of time. I would fly out of Israel again only under severe duress and would strongly recommend that people who value their time visit other countries.

(Finland)

Departure procedures started 3 hours before flight scheduled time at Ground floor. Before getting to the terminal my passport was taken I have to open my luggage outside go throw metal detector and pack my things up again. Then waiting in a line before check in. They questioned every imagine things noticed all stamps of countries in passport where I have visited. Then was a luggage scan inside a huge machine I´ve never seen at any airports. Then friendly check in at desk. After that the delay began. At first passport control they put me for a side line. After waiting there 10min a lady comes yelling me that you should come here with Asians. Another 50min wait after Asian group they took another 20 European pax after me as their flight was scheduled earlier. After another 50min wait there in a same line I finally got in. My hand luggage was x-rayed again. They called more staff and I was questioned again why I was in Israel at which hotel. A lady took my passport and boarding cards and started to call authorities. Then I was escorted with all my things back to terminal hall for inspection. All my things including underwear and so on were put on the table for scan with those big blue "tooth brushes" and they even x-rayed my training short. Staff at this point were calm and polite. They took a batter from my camera tested it with my recharger they even did it to my iPhone checking if it really works. Then I was escorted away from hall leaving my cameras and some valuables almost unattended. In a room they searched all kind of possible weapons from my body. I heard behind the curtains when some woman was upset when they told her to take her bra off. They scanned my belt shoes iPhone. Then staff was frustrated and said that everything is ok that I can wear my clothes. Then back to the huge hall where I saw my clothes and valuables unattended at the table. They packed my luggage and said that my electric shaver and toothpaste don´t come with me to cabin they packed them to a fragile box. Then I was escorted to elevator waited there staff to pick my box checked in. Then they said there are no security checks for me I´m ready to go. They escorted me again through those lines where I started and there was a final passport control. This all took 2.5 hours I had only 20min time to spend at Dan lounge. I don´t know for what profile I fitted in I´m a frequent traveler but this is an example for other travelers what to expect there. Terminal facilities were clean and calm.

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

The security check is a shame for this country and a veritable nightmare. After one week of tourism in the country going back home to Paris I had the worst time ever in my whole life at security check and practically missed my flight. No one was talking to me nor explained anything I had to wait for my luggage to be checked for half an hour while people from the check-in counter were closing 20 meters away. They checked all the luggage even for nothing and despite scans did not reveal anything. This is very sad and annoying. This just convinced me of never returning to that country even though I liked it very much.

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

Scrutiny was before check in for the El AL flight to Tel Aviv; yet arriving and passing thru the customs etc easy and fast. Train station is right underneath the terminal taxis are just outside with a dispatcher so no scamming. Everything went very smoothly. Leaving the country arrive at least 3hrs early though especially if you are flying El AL; there will be questions and luggage search for all but mine was all done in 20 min or so by friendly people - still 2 more security checks to go thru (unless you're one of the "lucky" ones to be singled out for extra security then it could be a hassle). Lots of stores eateries; caution for spotters though; refrain from taking pictures of the planes etc - very modern and up to date functioning terminal.

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

Inbound from Zurich on Swiss and outbound on Lufthansa. My arrival into Ben Gurion couldn't have been easier cleared customs in about 10 minutes bags were waiting at the carousel and walked right out of the terminal. Leaving Ben Gurion was another story. Arrived at security 4 hours before departure was turned away and told to return in 30minutes because we were too early; 3 hours prior is just about right FYI. Went through the first two of three security checks before checking in with Lufthansa. I was told I had to check all liquids cannot carry them on. At the third check in after my carry on bags went through X-Ray I was asked to step aside for a hand inspection of my two carryon bags. The instant oatmeal packs Glucose Tabs (I'm a diabetic) and my meds in their prescription bottles (6 bottles actually) caused the inspector to call her supervisor who told me that I had too many meds and could not bring them onboard with me. I could not believe he was actually suggesting that I put prescription meds in my checked luggage that already had been checked. I had two choices leave my meds behind or go back to the first security area and ask for a cardboard box place my meds inside and check the box as luggage. The supervisor was nice enough to allow the security agent to accompany me to help me bypass the very long lines. I was allowed to take with me two days worth of meds. From start to finish it took 2.5 hrs for me to get from the front of the airport to the business class lounge this included the added delay of checking my meds. I'm happy to say my meds and luggage made it in one piece! I still don't understand how prescription meds can be a security risk.

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

Terminal 3 is spacious and works like a dream. Security is an issue but we know how important psychological profiling is - efficient and quick in the pre check in area. At least the airport is designed to take all this into account and the hand baggage X ray is more relaxed then anywhere I have seen and the fact that you can pack as much liquid as you like means that panic attacks over the size of your sun cream bottle don't exist. Departure lounge with a massive cetral waterfall from the domes ceiling is clean spacious attractive and relaxed with good shopping. Free wireless internet is brilliant-. I have got from door to gate in 10 minutes with hand baggage and 20 with cases and still been through the most thorough security check.

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

Took me an hour and a half to get through the 'krypton factor' type questions bag scans unpacking and packing again etc. I understand that they want to be sure of security but it is completely unacceptable for it to take this long to check in and get through to departures. My bags were unpacked and searched twice and somewhere along the lines of having my hand baggaged unpacked and scanned they managed to lose a diary of very important meeting notes. Nightmare.

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

I spent nearly an hour and a half of having every souvenir scanned by their new little blue toys! They even took an Armenian clock away to put batteries in to see whether it works! I hated every minute of it. I understand where they are coming from but drop the arrogant 'we have power' attitude. It spoiled an otherwise remarkable holiday. The only friendly person was the young lady who came to me whilst standing in a long line waiting to have my luggage scanned. Asking questions upon question - didn't believe it was me in my passport photo but my sister who stood next to me. Even my sister had to answer a ton of questions. It is crazy. I'm leaving the country and want to cause chaos now - when I'm leaving? The night before it took me 4 hours to pack my huge bag. Just for them to rip open every bubble wrapped magnet plate cup etc I bought. To then be told "oohh we'll help you pack it back". Then they bring me this huge huge piece of bubble wrap but sorry we don't have a scissor. I nearly exploded! Then onto the boarding area. To be told I'm overweight with the luggage. Start unpacking. Which I did. Stuffed it into carrier bags. Then my 4 pieces of hand luggage and I proceeded to departures. To be told to unpack everything again! What are they looking for?

Tel Aviv Airport customer review

Sometimes during security checks in TLV your bags and suitcases can be taken away from you for some minutes as they scan them in other rooms. My advice is to check that everything is still in your bag when it comes back because they empty the bags away from you before scanning them and put things back by themselves. The lost and found office has only one part-time English speaking worker and is rings busy most of the time. They really completely emptied all my bags scanned every piece and I was body-searched too. This was about 50 minutes long. The staff was nice smily and efficient. I was even escorted to skip the regular security checks (so I did not need to queue) once the 50 minute check was over.