Tel Aviv Airport

"The worst airport in the world"

Trip Verified | The worst airport in the world. I arrived at Tel Aviv from Athens when the plane for Toronto was boarding. Had to walk through 5 security checkpoints with small kids age 5 and 3 and my pregnant wife. Had to fight with the supervisor because they put all 4 of us in different seats. They were too lazy to tell me where to go, didn't even transfer our luggage from 1 plane to the other and even calling them every single day they didn't even send them to Toronto, at least we got the car seats. The only good thing is they helped us in the airplane with the seats so we could sit with our kids. I wouldn't take El Al again. It was my first and last time.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"worst airport experience"

(Hong Kong)

Not Verified | All staff very rude and totally not helpful, I was sent back and forth to different lines and none seems to know what was going on. No signage, the worst airport experience I ever had. The tax return counter staff also very rude. A very rude country indeed.
Date VisitJune 2019

"total chaos"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | This airport is infamous world wide due its treatment towards travellers, with me it was no different! From the moment you arrive immigration asks loads and loads of questions, some are necessary of course some other are designed to trigger and offend. If you have stamps from Arab countries on your passport you will be sent to the waiting room, there you will wait for a few hours until they call your name. Some travelers were there for more than 7 hours, terrible! After you are cleared to go, if at all, you will need to find your bags in a sea of bags, total chaos! The good thing of this airport is the train connection to downtown Tel Aviv! On the departures, soldiers will aggressively check your documents before you enter the airport, then you will be ironically interviewed before going to check in by airport staff. Then they stick a number to the back of your passport, this led me to an extremely picky and slow line, I swear it took me nearly 2 hours only to go through the x-ray machine, they checked every single bit of my carry on. Immigration on the departure also rude. I would say Israel is to be visited once in a lifetime, never again.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"through security very fast"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Great airport, even it was under construction I almost didn't notice it, we went through security very fast. Ground crew very friendly and helpful. Food cost a bit high.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Organised and easy to navigate"

Trip Verified | Very roomy and clean airport. Organised and easy to navigate. Free WiFi and easy to connect. Food and drinks are very expensive though, as is duty free but choice is quite nice. The 3 hours recommended as arrival time before the flight were not even necessary, the whole security and check in process was easy and very smooth, in fact it didn’t take longer than at any other airport.
Date VisitApril 2019

"the worst experience"

Trip Verified | By far the worst experience at an airport by far. I don’t know if it is a cultural thing, but going through countless checks while watching Israeli citizens breeze through security, while foreigners wait up to an hour. Also be prepared for security questions, not for entering the country like most would assume, but leaving said country.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"I'm always happy with the experience"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | This is my "homeport" and I'm very familiar with it, and I'm also an Israeli citizen, which probably makes me biased (since I'm subject to less strict procedures). Overall, I like TLV. Terminal 3 is clean and spacious, I've been able to avoid long waiting times in the last years. The personal security screening area is my least favorite one: it's quite crammed and the queues there are somewhat chaotic. Passport control is quite uneventful for Israeli citizens and quite fast (especially once they installed the biometric machines). Once you're past that, a travelator brings you to the duty free shops' area. They don't offer too much variety, so it's not a huge attraction. What I do like about them, however, is that you're not led forcefully through lines of merchandise like in other airports, and you can skip the shops altogether. From the shops travelators take you to the gates in different directions. Seating in the gates' area is usually sufficient. Finding a power outlet to charge your phone can be challenging. Toilets are mostly clean and they also have automated alcoholic disinfectant dispensers - it's very nice! There are also drinking fountains near the toilets in most cases. WiFi connection is available for free all over the airport and is very stable. When you are arriving, it's rather uneventful: get off the airplane, get to the passport check, then straight to the luggage belts and you're out. Overall, TLV may not be the greatest airport in the world, but I'm always happy with the experience.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"The processes are broken"

Trip Verified | The worst airport processes ever experienced to date. I understand there is a drive in Israel to create jobs for people but this reached ridiculous level here. There is a person that check your details and take a few steps and the person scans your card again and when you take a few more steps there is another employee walking around who ask to see the number on your passport again. How about employing these people to make the experience more pleasant for visitors? The processes are broken (or plain stupid). First we had to queue 50 minutes with all passengers of all flights to drop in the luggage. The queuing system wasn't consistent. Our line was slower because the standing lady couldn't keep a count which line she took people from last. So people who arrived after us finished queuing way before us. We should have gone to the other queue if we knew it would be that bad.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"waited in line for 50 minutes"

Not Verified | When you arrive at the airport before the check in counters, you have to answer security questions. I do not understand the purpose of this or how this helps, but on October 25 early morning, I waited in that line for 50 minutes.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"a time-consuming experience"

Not Verified | It had been 11 years since I last arrived and departed from Ben Gurion Airport and some things have changed. Arrival was the same: A long walk to passport control from the gate, a little bit of a wait, and the usual interrogation by the border agent. I was temporarily detained as were other members of my group, but we were soon released without further questioning 15 minutes later with our entry permits (which have replaced the passport stamps). Checked bags were on the carousel by the time I arrived at baggage claim, so it was a very smooth and easy exit from the airport. Departing was a slightly different experience. I arrived 4 hours before my flight in case of long lines pre-check in. I got in line with 3.5 hours before my flight and by the time I had my interrogation, there were just under 3 hours left. The interrogation was surprisingly quick (10 minutes, which included questioning by a supervisor) and then I was allowed to check in at the El Al counter. After check-in, I went to security and was directed to the lines where the agents thoroughly check all the carry-on baggage. This was the most time-consuming process of being at the airport and a few passengers who arrived late were allowed to cut in front of me for fear of missing their flights. This process took a solid hour-plus just to have my bags inspected and then another 25-30 minutes for the inspection (as well as body scan). If the agents don't know what something in your bag is, they will ask you (they did this with one of my articles of clothing). If you have food that is concealed, they will ask you to open it up to visually confirm it (this happened with my protein bar. I also ate it in front of them since I was hungry). Once finished with the security check, I repacked my bags and proceeded to the biometric passport scanners and received my exit permit, which you scan to be allowed into the main departures waiting area. There wasn't enough time to grab a coffee or something to eat as my flight was already boarding. Before boarding my flight, gate agents checked my carry-on bags one last time for any liquids and then scanned my boarding pass to allow me to get on the plane. Plenty of seats and shops in the concourse, but a severe lack of charging stations/outlets. Overall, it's a time-consuming experience and, yes, I know of people who have been detained and questioned by personnel before getting on a plane in Tel Aviv. I also know of one person who was pulled off a plane and questioned. Everything is based on the sticker/barcode number the initial security folks place on your passport before you reach the check-in counters. I'd definitely arrive 3-4 hours ahead of your flight. Security will take time, especially if you are not an Israeli national.
Date VisitAugust 2018