Tampa Airport

"I saw an outdoor smoking area"

Trip Verified | At TPA on 04/30/2019 waiting to fly back home to LGA. I love this airport. It is huge, clean and has so many food stores. Now I love it more for the following reasons. I was bored so I started walking toward gate 75 (Delta). I saw an outdoor smoking area. My goodness, it was about time as TPA had eliminated the big outside smoking area inside the airport (what is this world coming to). When I saw the people smoking there, I went inside.
Date VisitApril 2019

"Terminal A restroom smells"

Not Verified | Terminal A restroom smells of urine. No hot water. Water fountains do not work. Carpet dirty. Got through security very quick at 0730. I do not use rental cars here anymore. It takes too much time and high prices. I use Lyft or rent off airport.
Date VisitApril 2019

"very pleasant, modern and very clean"

Not Verified | Tampa is our home airport and even with the construction it’s still a very pleasant, modern and very clean. It’s very easy to navigate, my only complaint would be long term parking it’s a little confusing but overall we love TPA.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"security people are extremely rude"

The security people are extremely rude, mean and the threatening people is absolutely absurd. I will never use this airport again. This huge man threatened me several times because I wasn’t moving fast enough. Then when I put my briefcase on the rollers it slipped, then a woman threatened me, I didn’t do anything wrong at all! Then the big guy gets up in my face again and keeps yelling at me telling me he decides who comes and goes. There was no excuse for their behavior.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"whole departure experience was dreadful"

Not Verified | After waiting for several hours in Tampa Airport we were finally allowed to board. As I approached the ramp I realized I had lost my boarding pass. I spoke to a Spirit employee, I had spoken to him earlier in the evening so I know he recognized me. My wife told him I needed to board the flight. He said, "I was going to be nice and help you, but you can go over go the ticket counter and get your boarding pass reissued." I am a retired, disabled military member. I also have MS." This whole departure experience was dreadful. This staff member made the evening that much worse.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"too large for its own good"

Not Verified | I have to say I have been flying in and out of Tampa airport since the 80's and I understand that as it has grown in passenger volume, it has gotten too large for its own good. I will say that, what I call a Mall with shops and endless food options is fantastic. However the extremely high escalator is ridiculous and the distance you have to go with the tram and the speed at which it goes to the rental car location is way too far and too fast. I have anxiety and the speed is just waiting for a accident as it is way too jittery. And once you are their you have more to walk. I am not old but I did have major heart surgery but for elderly it is not passenger friendly to have to walk that much. This all makes me wonder about choosing a different airport or a different way to travel. I loved when the garage housed the rental cars. It was perfect. I would have kept the 1st and 2nd floor of the garage for car rentals and the top floors for passengers who kept their cars there. And why dont you have stars below for the Tram to the rental facility or the rental car experience.
Date VisitJune 2018

"always ample TSA agents"

Trip Verified | I always love flying to and from the Tampa Airport. From the drive into TPA, the airlines are cleverly color coded and then you are directed to either arrivals or departures. Then you simply have to look for the door with your airline. Once inside the main terminal, head to the appropriate ticket counter. If you have pre-checked in online, just take the air conditioned tram to your terminal (A–F). There you will go through security. There’s always ample TSA agents there to keep the crowd moving along securely and swiftly. Once through security, you are welcomed into a massive airy terminal. There’s plenty of food options from Cigar City Brewing (a popular craft beer producer in Tampa) to The Colombia Restaurant, a staple in Tampa since 1905 serving authentic Spanish fair. There’s plenty of workspace and outlets to charge up your devices. I flow the flow of this airport with plenty of signage. It’s almost impossible to get lost and everything is relatively closeby.
Date VisitJune 2018

"a reasonably good, user-friendly airport"

Trip Verified | Have always found Tampa to be a reasonably good, user-friendly airport. Overall it's still not bad but had a few red flags come up this time. Arrived in terminal E and used the men's washroom only to find the floor completely flooded (helps if you don't think too much about that). Fair enough, stuff happens. Except when we left a week later the same washroom still had a flooded floor. Seriously? Are there no plumbers in Tampa? Pretty disgusting. Check-in areas in the main terminal are starting to show their age. Trek to the car rental facility is a bit of an adventure. Up and down endless escalators plus a far from smooth train ride. Layout of the car rental area also seems to be an accident waiting to happen. Pedestrian walkways are not well defined and (in the case of Avis) cars were parked on the walkway back to the main building. Still gets a recommended grade but barely.

"conflicting passenger flows"

Trip Verified | Avoid this airport!! Passenger flow choke points, intersecting traffic, triple tram rides just to get to security check point, conflicting passenger flows, enter on fourth level, go down to second them back up to fourth. Three dimensional dysfunction! Time and frustration makes the chaos of Orlando much more appealing.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Suggest to fly into Orlando"

Trip Verified | Have been flying in and out of TPA for 15+ years. The experience was always a pleasant one. After landing, take the tram to the luggage area, get you bags, cross the street and pick up your rental car. The current set-up requires that after bag pick up - drag your luggage across the room, take an escalator up for 3 flights, drag your luggage to another tram, ride a run away twisting bumping tram for at least 5 minutes to the car rental counters (at least 2 stops on the tram), drag your luggage to the rental counter, take the escalator down 2-3 flights, drag your luggage to another rental car counter to get the car keys, and finally drag your luggage to the car. This entire process took over 1:30 hours. My 1,000 mile flight from Newark to Tampa took 2:21 hours, my 5 mile track to the car rental took 1:30 hours. Suggest for future flights is to fly into Orlando and drive the 1 .5 hours from Orlando to Tampa