Sydney Airport

"Congested, expensive"

Not Verified | Sydney must be Australia’s worst airport. Congested, expensive, poorly planned and monopoly behaviour. I rarely get in our out without delays of at least half an hour.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"at least 40 minutes to get a taxi"

Not Verified | Taxi queue and how it is managed is horrible at the domestic airport. There is no traffic control or when there is, staffed by incompetent people / contractors that cannot coordinate the flow of taxi's that picked up passengers trying to leave with new taxis pulling into the rank. It is also located right behind a pedestrian crossing and the the traffic controller does not manage the flow of pedestrians to cross when taxis are loading passengers and luggage. Instead they stand there and wave taxis, private vehicles and limos through. And in front of the crossing is the limo / VIP waiting area where they constantly double park and block the flow of traffic further compounding the wait times and queue of the taxi. Expect at least 40 minutes to get a taxi.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"very often a long wait at the taxi rank"

Not Verified | I frequently fly in and out of Sydney airport and very often experience a long wait at the taxi rank. The last things one wants after a long day is to have to wait for 30 minutes or more at the highly inefficient 10 bay taxi rank. Aside from the limited number of bays, taxis come through at a snails pace. This is not of their own doing, drivers have been waiting for up to 2 hours for a fare. This is not an impossible challenge to solve. Some empathy for your customer rather than maximizing your revenues would be much appreciated.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"embarrassed about the inefficiency"

Not Verified | As a Cabin Crew member completing tours of duties up to 20hrs with 2 days at home before next trip (yep not so glamorous) even without checked in bags it took over an hour to get through immigration and customs. There is no fast lane for crew or special treatment. So I endure what every other pax endures. The processing lines are long, disorganised. I’m left answering questions from bewildered travellers due to limited or helpful staff. Try giving feedback. It’s virtually impossible. I’m embarrassed about the inefficiecy. Corporate Greed, cost cutting, lack of foresignt has resulted in a shopping centre with Disneyland lines in an overpriced Shopping Mall. But is any really listening? There is no incentive to improve this situation.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"terrible transit and departure experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Had an unbelievably terrible transit and departure experience at Sydney airport. The bus from T2 to T1 is not frequent which makes transit really difficult if there isn’t a lot of time between flights. When time is ticking, the more annoying part is the rude officers at security screening, treating travelers like criminals. The queue management was a mess and it took some time to go through customs. Even my bag had been checked twice under x-ray, they still demanded for a random check (there wasn’t any prohibited item). Worse still, when I told the officer I needed to leave immediately as there was less than 20 minutes before my flight took off, all he replied was I still have plenty of time and he even told me if I would like to do some shopping I should have come earlier. I could not believe a so-called international airport can have such arrogant and rude staff. As a frequent traveler who has been to more than 20 countries, I have to say I had the worst airport experience at the Sydney Airport and this makes me never want to use this airport again.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"lagging with passenger growth"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Terrible from start to finish. The traffic around the airport was a gridlock. Over an hour we covered around 2 kilometers. No one is at the loading bays controlling traffic. The security lines were a mess. Inadequate, poorly designed and lagging with passenger growth. The duty free is in your face, more so than larger airports. I am always worried of arriving in time for my flight and as a habit, plan to arrive 4 hours early. I didn't make it to my gate until 45 minutes before my flight. I truly hope they are planning to increase the security and loading areas significantly, rather than building more fashion stores. You actually have to have time to shop to buy anything!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Rude and officious customs agent"

Not Verified | Rude and officious customs agent. Security staff are also rude. I hate returning to Australia, and I was born here. What must international visitors think of us?
Date VisitAugust 2019

"I was shocked by the rudeness"

Trip Verified | Arrived home at the airport 7.30pm Wed and was surprised that there was no queue. So exit was fast and only took 20min thru immigration, bag collection and customs! That's never happened before so was very pleased. However I was shocked by the rudeness of one particular staff member who was directing the passenger at the immigration section. I was pushing my 91yo mother in a wheelchair and looking for the right lane. She said something and then yelled out in a loud voice.... Hey I am talking to you! I was shocked by her rudeness. Also she sent me to the crew counter which wasn't manned and I had to wheel mum back to join the normal queue. Hardly the right person to greet incoming visitors!
Date VisitJuly 2019

"airport is suffering from mismanagement"

Not Verified | Chaotic, busy, understaffed. The immigration queue was a disaster. I had a express card which was useless as I was told by the staff “throw it away”. This airport is suffering from mismanagement.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"international terminal was "jammed" as usual"

Trip Verified | I travelled for business reasons from the US to Tokyo, Sydney, Auckland, Sydney, and Tokyo, before finally returning to the US. Use of American airports is relatively pleasant as I have signed up for the Global Entry program, I used both Haneda and Narita International Airports and found the experience to be outstanding as usual, followed quite closely by Auckland International Airport. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Sydney International Airport. Because I was in business class, Qantas Airways kindly presented me with an Express Path pass which turned out to be completely useless. On my first arrival into Sydney from Tokyo, the international terminal was "jammed" as usual. I followed the Express Path signage, only to find it to be blocked off in the immediate immigration queuing area. When I inquired from airport personnel, she stated in a rude and abrupt manner that "it's closed", with no other explanation given. Consoled to using the extremely lengthy regular line for non citizens and residents, I asked another employee if there was any alternative for Express Path pass holders (thinking that it was just closed because it was outside of normal operating hours), showing her the pass with my US passport. Like with the previous airport agent, she just scowled and said "no". Now, it also has to be pointed out that overall signage in the international terminal is abysmal, particularly in the way of explanations. While waiting at the end of the long immigration line, I noticed some passport holders (without Australian passports) using kiosks off to the right side of the hall. I also saw that there was an electronic sign that indicated passengers from certain countries could use the kiosks. So rather than wait what seemed to be way more than an hour in line (far worse than anything I've seen at LAX) I tried the kiosk and was very relieved that it worked. I only then wondered why both airport personnel, after having seen my US passport, couldn't advise me to use the kiosks. As well I thought, why couldn't signage offer more explicit and detailed explanations for certain passport holders to use the kiosks. One last note - on my return to Sydney from Auckland, my seatmate was a New Zealander who lived and worked in Sydney for almost 40 years. She remarked how she disliked using Sydney International Airport because of the rudeness of airport personnel and the lack of adequate airport facilities, signage, etc. I couldn't hold back and quickly told her that I was in complete agreement. Moreover, in contrast Auckland was the opposite - though smaller, Auckland Airport personnel were immensely polite and pleasant. We both agreed that Sydney Airport personnel have very little pride or sincerity in the performance of their work, and set a poor tone for foreign visitors. Upon deplaning the Qantas flight from Auckland, we both smiled to each other, while shaking our heads as we approached the immigration lines. Only this time, I knew well enough to use the entry kiosks, thereby avoiding the "sourpuss" employees.