Sydney Airport

"not looking forward to going home"

Not Verified | Very annoyed, landed 8:20am and caught the bus to terminal 1, gate 26 A-G was poorly designed and it was chaotic to get onto our QF23 flight to Bangkok. There was one lady standing and directing passengers to their flights, I think she did really well but yeah, not looking forward to going home.
Date VisitMay 2019

"it feels like a 3rd world airport"

Trip Verified | Apart from the charging facilities like the eateries, it feels like a 3rd world airport. Used their toilets, each one has some dysfunctional facilities, either sink blocked, tap not working, urinals had a tap across saying it is out of order. Terminal WiFi is a hoax. No connectivity. Even a shopping centre offers free wifi, yet this is a domestic airport, its wifi is dysfunctional. Sydney is an international hub and a gateway to Australia, it is a let down.
Date VisitJune 2019

"don't understand customer service"

Not Verified | The Sydney airport team don't seem to understand what customer service is. Nice new laptop benches installed in the international terminal - have had no 240V power for weeks. 240V outlets hidden with black tape (as is to conceal the issue) Contact customer service, no real apology, just advice that there was a "manufacturing issue". When I contacted customer service their first question was "where in the terminal?". Zero effort applied' it's only every gate in one of the two wings!
Date VisitJune 2019

"total lack of help"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | As an assisted traveller I was amazed at the total lack of help. If I had been alone as I often am I probably would still be where being left by the taxi! When asking at the first airline site where would one get a wheelchair assistance, a flippant answer was “with whoever you’re travelling with.” This must be a new ‘more streamlined modification!’ As I was travelling with AirNZ I was at the opposite end of the check-in! We managed to make it slowly to the help desk which are meant only to point or speak, but one of heir staff took our luggage to the check-in for us and mr ‘other’ was able to push me in my own wheelchair to our check-in. Now that it’s metric there are fewer staff to assist in these wonderfully modernised unhelpful halls. In fact I have noticed that the ‘posher’ the buildings are the more we the travellers needing assistance are being forgotten. It was a Very Stressful experience. I’m sure you would get volunteers to stand at the entrances to assist wheelchair or other travellers requiring personal care.
Date VisitMay 2019

"no customer service skills at all"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Worst Airport in the world to transit through, oppressive unorganised customs staff who are rude and obnoxious with no customer service skills at all, if at all possible use another airport to transit through Australia.

"totally disorganised"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Sydney airport departures from any of the gates 26A-26G is appalling, totally disorganised. I travel through this airport as a passenger at least twice a month and it’s one of the worst experiences at an airport. Lack of signage , ground staff herding passengers in all directions and no public announcements made by PA, only by human voice you can hardly hear.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Do you care about your travellers Sydney?"

Not Verified | They close this terminal at night and put people outside. There is only somewhere at the international terminal that you can wait overnight. Problem is my connection flight is at 6am from T3 and if I'm at T1 untill the trains or buses start I don't have enough time to get to T3, I would miss my flight. So need to wait somewhere at T3, is outside in cold as they haven't designated an area people can stay inside. I could get a hotel for $100 for the 7-8 hours, I have the money, but it's the principle, I don't think that's worth it. Look at Christchurch airport in New Zealand, they close the airport at night too but they have juicy snooze just a short walk away, it's $25 for a nice pod for the night. Sort it out Sydney, I suspect there are many people in my position every single night, especially when airlines schedule overnight stop overs like this. I have a $500 inflatable camping mattress in my bag that I would love to blow up and stay inside in the warmth, but I will have to sit out in the cold. Do you care about your travellers Sydney?

"Horrible boarding experience"

Trip Verified | Flew from Tokyo to Adelaide via Sydney. Horrible boarding experience after 30 minute delay. Dirty and insufficient toilets at airport. Flight felt like a Jetstar flight and very cramped. Not a great experience and I am Australian.

"a disappointing gateway"

Trip Verified | Food is OK, but everything is disposable. Sydney airport serves up its food in disposable plates and cups. The disposable coffee cups cannot even be recycled in Australia. The duty free shop beyond immigration is huge and overpriced. Much of the space would be better suited to seating, of which there just isn't enough. International departure gates must be the worst in the world. Gates 57-63 are organised around a semi-circular area containing about 50 seats. The morning we left Sydney there were 2 x A380s and 2 x 747s on the gates. About 1000 people were crammed into the departure lounge, almost all had to stand. Returning to Sydney is no better. Customs and immigration staff stand out as being friendly and helpful. They also seemed to be considerate of jet lagged travellers who had been on a plane all night. Very considerate, The buildings however are run down. Toilets dirty. Unreasonable delays in getting baggage. Someone had vomited on the carpet near the immigration counter. We queued for over 30 minutes, but the carpet wasn't cleaned in that time. Pathetic. The arrivals hall, where people are waiting to meet their loved ones, is small and cramped. All-in-all, Sydney airport is a disappointing gateway to a great destination.

"unfriendly and disorganised"

Trip Verified | After passing through a number of international airports on this trip and in previous travel, Sydney continues to be the most unfriendly and disorganised. On every occasion I've witnessed staff raising their voice and being very rude to international arrivals, over basic questions or misunderstandings. I have to wonder if staff stress is due to poor working conditions, but either way, it's an awful welcome. Be kind!