Sydney Airport

"a surprisingly positive experience"

Trip Verified | There is obviously a problem with congested air space as despite being nearly an hour early we were not permitted to land until our allotment. Then after landing we had to wait approximately 20 minutes for a gate. Despite this I was impressed as compared to Melbourne. Immigration was speedy and our bags came out efficiently. Customs was equally efficient. We saw the Virgin domestic transit sign and followed that with our bags. Didn’t have to walk very far then we caught the bus to the domestic terminal, that was very crowded but there were lots of places to eat and plenty of “normal” shops, not just upmarket ones. It was a surprisingly positive experience. I’d recommend Sydney over Melbourne any day.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"expected this airport to be family and kids friendly"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | I was very disappointed. Flew with my daughter less than 2 years old. 15min before boarding while waiting at the queue they requested my to close the yo-yo stroller and carry the baby while waiting along with the bags and then walk 200-300 meters to the plane. So bad and unacceptable. I expected this airport to be family and kids friendly but unfortunately my expectations got destroyed! Unbelievable.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"carpets in the gate areas were excessively dirty"

Not Verified | The carpets in the gate areas were excessively dirty. They should be vaccumed regularly. Such a nice airport let down badly in this area. Maintenance need to monitor the same as toilets are. Lots of people passing through and not a good look. Carpet tiles are stained and littered withchewing gum/.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"chaotic and poorly planned"

Not Verified | Hard to imagine how this airport could more mismanage ground transport. Roads are chaotic and poorly planned, Uber tank too small, just one bus service and trains hugely overpriced. While some is outside the control of the airport company, there is much they could do.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"the worst airport in Australia"

Not Verified | Absolutely the worst airport in Australia. Bad signage, terrible lack of seating, no adequate room to move. Beyond hopeless. Departure is a mess and completely disorganised. Very hard to find if you have never been here before. As a frequent traveller this is terrible and Sydney should be ashamed of this airport. How hard is it to have a sign on the bottom rental car park area saying this way to departures!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"airport is beyond hopeless"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This airport is beyond hopeless, too much air traffic, too many delays, inefficient transfers between domestic and international terminals and worst of all is the security screening. The staff are rude and slow, when you say your flight is boarding they will tell you its your fault and deliberately go slow and do additional screening, they are not getting their finest to do this job that's for sure. This airport should have never been privatised, its the poster child of what goes wrong when government assets goes to those that such every cent out of it for profits only.

"a horrible experience"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | It's been a few years since I last flew from Sydney airport, what a horrible experience. I was there at 10 am on Saturday and the International terminal is extremely crowded (I think the airport needs to be twice the size to function), food choices are expensive and low in quality, toilets are not clean, the check-in and boarding process is slow and inefficient. There are some decent luxury shopping, but that really is the only nice thing to say about this airport now.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the most impressive of the lot"

Not Verified | I travelled from Perth to Melbourne to Auckland and then Auck to Sydney to Perth. And I just want to say that Sydneys domestic airport terminal was the most impressive of the lot! It was very flash, like a shopping mall, with lots to keep me occupied for 5 hours. Plenty of seats and food options to choose from. I look forward to travelling back there again.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"1.5 hours sitting on our suitcases"

Not Verified | The arrival process, collecting luggage, and clearing Immigration and Customs was straight forward and the Customs agents were polite and helpful. The computer system worked well. The arriving international passenger making a domestic connection will have a major problem if their layover is more than 2 hours. Once out of Customs, there is a free Transfer bus to the domestic terminal. Then the surprise. The traveller may not check-in at departures until 2 hours before departure. We had a 3.5 hour layover. We were not permitted entry, we couldn’t even drop our bags. There were few seats, and these were full, people were sitting on the floor in departures entry and, downstairs in arrivals - the same thing. There is one small food operation, packed with passengers and their luggage. My wife and I are seniors, pretty spry, but not happy about 1.5 hours sitting on our suitcases. When we got down to 2 hours before our domestic flight, we got through without any problem and entered a nice departure area with many restaurants, shops, and plenty of seating. We had lost all enthusiasm for shopping in an airport that had treated us so poorly.

"Congested, expensive"

Not Verified | Sydney must be Australia’s worst airport. Congested, expensive, poorly planned and monopoly behaviour. I rarely get in our out without delays of at least half an hour.