Stockholm Arlanda Airport

"had one of my worst airport experiences"

Not Verified | I had one of my worst airport experiences in my life at ARL today. My SAS flight from Toronto arrived a couple of minutes early and I had over 60 minutes time to transfer to my connecting SAS flight. ARL’s disorganization made me miss my connection and ending up spending 11 uncomfortable hours at the airport. There were 4 border officers working at the passport control: 2 serving EU passport holders and 2 officers for all other passports. There was only one plane of passengers being served at the time, and by far most of them were holders of non-EU passports. You would think that all 4 officers would be working to clear the line as quickly as possible, but for reasons unfathomable to me the EU passport officers were just sitting around and waiting for their non-existing clients. Passport control was done in practice only by half of the available staff and it took 40 minutes! How long would it take if the airport was actually busy? Finally we got through and I thought that now we can just quickly dash to the gate and still make it in time. Little I knew that ARL’s management in their great wisdom had decided to place on the way a security check operated by one (!) security officer. She was managing crowd control, scanning off the boarding passes, operating the x-ray machine, analysing of the x-ray scans and secondary checking by opening bags all by herself. I have never seen such an amateurish security setup anywhere in my years of travel. You call this Sweden’s flagship airport? Needles to say, this prime example of Swedish inefficiency ended up taking 40 minutes to seal the deal on me and my family missing our connection. If Arlanda’s attempt was to welcome foreign passengers to Sweden with a Soviet-style retro experience, then I congratulate you on a job well done. If your goal is to be a respectable world class airport, then you have a lot to learn.
Date VisitJuly 2023

"absolute worst managed airport"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | I have to say that Arlanda is among the absolute worst managed airports. Development is going in the wrong direction. Flew in June: Long time for check-in Long lines for security. Dirty especially in the toilets. Disgraceful that an airport run by a government company to top all the misery like that and they recommend to be at the miserable airport 2.5 - 2 hours before departure within the EU.
Date VisitJune 2023

"rudest security staff ever encountered"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | The rudest security staff ever encountered. The younger ones are the worst in general. Brash, insulting, unprofessional doesn’t begin to cover it. If I could travel via another airport, I most certainly would. I will continue to complain and leave negative reviews until this improves.
Date VisitJuly 2023

"probably the worst airport"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | It’s probably the worst airport among city airports in Europe at least. Lack of people to service the passengers is the most unacceptable one. Seems like no one in management is caring. Multiple times, there were delay in baggage. Recently one of them took more than an hour after landing given that relatively how small terminal 5 is in comparison to Munich or Paris. People has to sit on floors due to luggage delays. The staffs are not so polite. The only reason I use this airport is because it’s the nearest one.
Date VisitJuly 2023

"staff slow and inefficient"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Horrible experience with Arlanda, and it is getting worse. I have flown from Arlanda a week ago, and queues were huge at security even at 5 am in the morning, and staff slow and inefficient. It looks like nobody cares. On top of that, on the return flight home which landed around midnight, we have waited for a baggage for an hour or more. Airport was packed with people waiting for the same. Captain informed us there is nobody at the gate when we have arrived (no manpower to do the aircraft handling), it took around 5 minutes to taxi to gate from the apron (we were waiting at it, but there was nobody to serve us). All the escalators and horizontal tracks for faster (easier) commute within the terminal were off, which is a common thing on ARN last few months). Staff is nowhere to be seen or rude (probably overworked), on top of that. The worst airport experience in Europe by far, and I work for an airline (and tend to travel due to this).
Date VisitJune 2023

"Toilets at boarding gate 62 disgusting"

Trip Verified | SAS bag drop system failed for 20 minutes. Apparently "normal" according to SK staff. Toilets at boarding gate 62 disgusting and too few anyway. No hot water at the Lavazza restaurant. Staff hurried us through immigration to the gate, only to find there is no shopping at all past immigration. Judging by the many adverse comments on this forum, someone needs to get a grip of all areas of this important airport.
Date VisitMay 2023

"worst of all European airports"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Arrived late in the evening and was the only flight in. No information about luggage straps and as usual it took a very long time before the luggage arrived. A long way to terminal 4 to find the transport to the car park and then redirecting the traffic around the whole of Märsta due to night work. Arlanda is probably the worst of all European airports I have visited. Ankom sent på kvällen och var enda flight inne. Ingen info om bagageband och som vanligt tog det väldigt lång tid innan bagaget kom fram. Långt till terminal 4 för att finna transporten till parkeringen och därefter omdirigering av trafiken runt hela Märsta pga natt arbete. Arlanda är nog sämst av alla Europeiska flygplatser jag har besökt.
Date VisitApril 2023

"Horrendous experience"

Not Verified | Horrendous experience with border control at Arlanda Airport. Arriving for a weekend break I was asked to provide evidence of a hotel booking and return flight neither of which is needed for entry to Sweden. In fact I gave him by E receipt including booking reference for my return flight which was not good enough. Then made to wait half an hour then asked how much cash I had. He then counted my small amount of cash. How ridiculous in the age of credit and debit cards. I have travelled extensively over the last half century including the pre 1989 Eastern European Countries and have never been asked to show how much cash I was carrying. Very obnoxious staff. Felt I was arriving in a police state
Date VisitMay 2023

"worst airport I have ever been to"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | This is the worst airport I have ever been to. I live in Sweden and it is a disgrace. The security staff are some of the most unpleasant I have ever encountered. I travel weekly and the whole liquids situation truly depends on the person who is checking your stuff in the tray. I use a classic 1L clear ziploc that I literally got from Heathrow (the biggest stickler on liquids) and sometimes it flies through and other times they make me shove it in their tiny “Arlanda approved” baggie that is way smaller than the rest of the worlds. With no explanation. And then I have to stand there and pick and choose what I want to toss. It is truly the worst experience I have ever had and I fly out of many airports. Change needs to be made for a more efficient and communicative system. Why are they the only airport that doesn’t allow for the same liquids as the rest of Europe? Makes no sense and it’s ridiculous.
Date VisitMay 2023

"1.5 hours to reach the gate from arrival"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Took us 1.5 hours to reach the gate from arrival. In Copenhagen this would be done in 20 minutes. Staff is too few and on top of that working extremely slow. Honestly, I have never experienced anything like that and I have travelled in Russia and Africa. This is really not what to expect from a country like Sweden.
Date VisitApril 2023