Split Airport

"by far the worst airport"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airport I have ever been to. From reading other reviews I am grateful I did not have to deal with staff at check in! Wait until the last possible moment to go through to departures because you will find nothing there but crowds, massive overpriced duty free shops (two of them, why does such a tiny departure lounge need two?) And two tiny cafe things (I hesitate to even call them cafes they were pathetic). I didn't eat before going through as I did not like the "sandwiches" in the bar and I regretted that decision instantly. There was pretty much nothing to eat! I have never seen an airport like it! Split has thousands of tourists entering and leaving daily and this airport clearly is not build to cope with it. I understand they have been expanding, surely based on all of the reviews I've just read, inputting some food outlets should be a priority. Will not be returning to this airport.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"we were pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | After reading the reviews, we were absolutely dreading our departure. However, we were pleasantly surprised. Our flight was at 10.15pm on a Saturday in August. We had no queue for check in or security and even managed to get seats in the departure lounge, right by a charging point. We did stay in the bar upstairs, before going through to airside, for a while as was in no rush but never saw any crowding in the new terminal. Overall, this was a really pleasant and easy experience.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"lack of food and restaurants/choice"

Trip Verified | We arrived from Bol on the fast ferry which was brilliant! So efficient. Hysterical that you then have to walk 10 minutes on the road to get to terminal. There are no signs. New airport is shiney and new. Check in all good, very easy. However my number one complaint is the lack of food and restaurants/choice. Once checked through there are two small establishments. Food was sub standard and very little choice. 4 sandwiches and four drinks 330kn. Bread was stale.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"faced with such poor service"

Trip Verified | I wrote the email below to four departments at Split Airport. I have had no response from them. This email describes my experience at their new airport in Split. You can overlook the lack of restaurants, cafe etc as these things take time to establish, however you cannot overlook poor service at Check in. I am writing to bring your attention to some serious problems you have on your check in counter at Split airport. On the 22 July my family and I arrived to check in for our flight with Emirates to Perth, Australia. All our flights were purchased on one ticket. Split - Zurich - Dubai - Perth. Your check in consultant would not check us in through to Perth. She would not give us boarding passes for our onward journey from Zurich to Perth nor would she arrange for our baggage to be transferred to the next flight. We had a 1 hour transit. Her incompetence resulted in us having to collect luggage and recheck and therefore missing our onward flight. As explained to her we had a one hour transit with confirmation on our tickets that baggage would be checked through to Perth. This consultant made no effort to check this with the airlines or anyone else but simply informed us she could do nothing. As I was not happy with this situation I then proceeded to wait in another check in line to see if someone else could help. After waiting another twenty minutes in line I was told by another consultant that “yes this check in is incorrect but nothing can be done now, its too late! If your wish to have a good reputation at your new airport staff need to know their jobs. This error which meant nothing to your consultant caused us much anguish, adding on 12 hours more of flight time on an already long journey plus many hours of delay at airports until we arrived back in Perth, Australia three days later. We travel every year to Croatia and I am very disappointed that at the end of our holiday we were faced with such poor service.

"Sort yourselves out!"

Not Verified | They appear to have spent a good few million quid extending the airport. However they seem to have forgotten to put any additional coffee shops / restaurants into it. I am currently stood in a queue of about 100 people waiting to buy a coffee. This reflects extremely badly on the planning abilities (you can tell I haven't had my coffee yet.) I do note, however, that they have allocated several hundred square metres of floor space to swanky new duty free concessions - which are closed! (It's 9.05am on a weekday.) Sort yourselves out! The security people need to improve their manners.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Split airport is like a survival school"

(Croatia)

Trip Verified | Split airport is like a survival school. Passengers after check-in were forced to wait half an hour on the mainboard of the airport in full sun. After numerous interventions, we were allowed to enter the plane where the next half hour will take before take-off. The main hall also very crowded, not enough seats and space, it shouldn't be like that.
Date VisitJune 2019

"organisation was utterly appalling"

Not Verified | Terrible. Worst airport I have been to in my whole life. Absolute sauna, no air con. Nowhere to sit. Had to queue hours just to get something to eat. It’s clearly not fit for purpose and needs a major revamp. The organisation was utterly appalling.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"the worst airport I’ve ever flown out of"

Not Verified | This is the worst airport I’ve ever flown out of. It’s 30+ degrees outside and the air con is broken in the airport. The queues to check in are long and disorganized. There’s one place to get water and the queue is ridiculous. I don’t know how more people don’t fall ill from the heat in this airport. It is tiny for the amount of people and the theme is chaos.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Nightmare from beginning to end"

Not Verified | Nightmare from beginning to end. No seats at departures, hundreds of people sitting on the floor. Queueing on the tarmac in the hot sun for half hour before another 30 mins to clear passport control. Been to much better third world airports.

"Queues everywhere"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Awful, just awful. Cramped, hot and unorganized. The staff are rude and unfriendly. Departures lounge is small and unpractical. Queues everywhere.