Southampton Airport

Southampton Airport customer review

The least expensive way of parking for a day at Southampton airport is to use the short term parking at £15.50 per day. This is more than the fare to Edinburgh! It will make me think twice before using Southampton again. There is a minimum charge of £24.90 in the long term area.

Southampton Airport customer review

Our arrival at SOU was made remarkable by the fact that the baggage made it to the belt before we did and it was not as if we had to walk a long way from the aircraft to the terminal. We did have to wait for a taxi though (about five minutes) but I expect that was due to our arrival at 10pm the penultimate arrival of the day. Our departure was at 6:30pm on a Sunday. This is a busy time for the airport and Flybe in particular and we ended up at the check-in queue for about half an hour. Flying with hand baggage only would have been an advantage as there was a fast moving dedicated queue for those lucky souls. The delay did not leave us much time to explore the airport but it didn't matter as there isn't much to explore. A reasonable duty free shop confronts you after passing through the efficient security and that is about it. There is a cafe on an upper floor with views over the runway but no other retail outlets. My advice is to obtain your chocolate bar and newspaper in W H Smith before passing through security. The terminal itself seems to be in need of expansion as it was rather crowded but was no worse than most other airport terminals in the world.

Southampton Airport customer review

I found the airport all it needed to be. No delays at check-in or security. Food provided expensively as you expect at a BAA airport - BAA are not the passengers friend. Reasonable terminal provides pretty straightforward access to the aircraft although the walk back in from the return flight was a bit pointlessly long and led to a locked door which was released by our shepherdess.

Southampton Airport customer review

Flew to Southampton from Leeds. With the flight having been delayed by 4 hours the last thing needed was inept ground crew but that's what we got. All passengers off the plane and into the airport bus for the 40 second drive to the Terminal but first someone had to move the truck which was blocking the road. The 8 ground crew were far too busy playing dodgems with the wheelchairs around the plane and the bus couldn't possible go airside of a parked and closed down aircraft. Fifteen minutes later the bus went round and we got to the Terminal. Not a good advert BAA.

Southampton Airport customer review

Just flew there on a same day return from Edinburgh. There seemed to be a lot of renovations going on which should add some space eventually . The departure area was tiny with 8 gates crammed into a space which in most airports would be for 1 or 2! Almost half of the area was taken up by a duty free shop - profits over passengers?. The food options airside were almost non-existent; a small cafe with sandwiches. Landside there was a bar that did extortionately priced pizzas but that was about it. I would recommend you eat before you get there check in a late as you can and hope you are not delayed. Having said that the staff were friendly and helpful the airport was extremely convenient and from disembarking to getting in the hire car took 15 minutes.

Southampton Airport customer review

No doubt a handy little regional airport easily reached by public transport and vastly benefiting the south coast of England but for God's sake pray you never get delayed here. Food and drink vastly overpriced and nothing to do landside whilst you wait for your plane. Nowhere to stroll outside either. Staff decided to close up the security area and lock the door to departures for the night whilst I was still landside forcing me to knock on the door to get in. Plus the baggage conveyor belt was broken and passengers had to take their own bags to the handlers' trucks whilst FlyBE's check in girls smiled helplessly. Great that I can fly here from Edinburgh instead of having to settle for Gatwick every time but a poor reflection on BAA.

Southampton Airport customer review

Don't go too early - the lounge is small and the only shop a duty free store making you wish you'd stayed landside a little longer. That said boarding is a breeze parking on airport and the rail connection heaven. Just a pity there isn't a greater choice of flights.

Southampton Airport customer review

I wonder if there could not be a more vigorous promotion around the catchment area of southern England many of whose residents and business concerns are most likely unaware of the benefits which accrue from use of the excellent location. There is one disappointment which I know is widespread both here in the UK and in Switzerland. That is the discontinuation of FlyBe's flights to Geneva into the summer. My family are not great air-travel enthusiasts but the So'ton/FlyBe experience has transformed the pain into pleasure. This will be totally lost now we have to suffer the misery of a major London airport and a less desirable carrier. I see that FlyBe operate a winter-sports charter to that lovely little airport at Berne (Belp) on Saturdays from Gatwick. If ONLY that could be continued into the summer and save the hassle of the many of us (our fellow FlyBe passengers) who have to make onward travel to (e.g.) the Bernese Oberland a time-consuming (much longer than the flight) journey notwithstanding the excellence of the Swiss railway system.

Southampton Airport customer review

Very disappointed to find recently that Southampton Airport management had closed the Public Viewing floor which overlooked the runway. vGuess what this is now an Exec lounge which is no doubt a nice little earner for Southampton Airport. It was always a delight to sit in the room along with other families waving hello / goodbye to friends / relatives. Prior to this disappoint I have always found the airport a delight to use (collection time from an Edinburgh flight for luggage = 5 minutes).

Southampton Airport customer review

Still an excellent airport but the Short Term parking has risen over the last year or so from I think £8 per day to £13.20 - a rise of 65%. If it continues like this many short stay travellers like me will choose another airport.