Southampton Airport

Southampton Airport customer review

On a wet and blustery Tuesday afternoon with nearly every flight delayed and several cancellations the departure area was massively overcrowded and uncomfortable. On Sunday afternoon again the departure area is bursting at the seams as long queues for adjacent departure gates intermingle. SOU is still better than the main gateways in every respect and noteworthy for the friendly and relaxed personnel but it needs to expand.

Southampton Airport customer review

5 years back Southampton was a great airport. It had a brilliant viewing area an abundance of small and large regional airlines and fairly good food and retail outlets and public transport. The terminal is now vastly overstretched they've got rid of the decent competition (ie BA Cityflyer - went low cost as BA Connect - now part of FlyBe) check-in and security queues are dreadful around lunchtime and early evening especially when they're operating those B737/A320/B757 sized charter flights. They should build a second terminal exclusively for FlyBe on the eastern side of the runaway and let the existing space rest!

Southampton Airport customer review

It is clearly signposted both on and from the motorway parking (rental return) is a cinch and just a few minutes walk into the terminal without lifts and stairs and obstacles to navigate. Check in for our Flybe flight took 30 seconds including the queuing time and then there was the long walk to departures - about 50 yards! The facilities are limited but adequate and as for most people the objective is to get through the airport as fast and as painlessly as possible I think this one achieves that admirably.

Southampton Airport customer review

As before a pleasure to use. Departure to Galway couldn't have been easier and returning we were waiting on the railway station within 20 minutes of landing.

Southampton Airport customer review

Great small airport; I especially like to adjacent railway station. On our return flight we were on the train within an hour of leaving Guernsey.

Southampton Airport customer review

Have flown from Southampton numerous times over the last few years. At the moment it can get very busy which is a bit of a pain. But I can be at home 30 minutes after landing so I think it is great. Will agree service in cafe upstairs is very slow - but they have recently got rid of the benches & put loads of tables & chairs. Seems to me that there was plenty of room to sit down - although you might have to go back downstairs. They have also added a WH Smiths airside - which is about time. All in all I think it is a great airport if you live fairly local.

Southampton Airport customer review

Arrived at Southampton Airport at 1700 for my 1915 flight to Leeds/Bradford. The airport was busy very busy. Used fast-track or otherwise I could experienced a delay of 20mins. I must say this is a very busy time for Southampton around 20 flights taking off within the two hour period. The airport is like a converted aircraft hanger once through security very little on offer. A medium sized duty-free shop and little else. Upstairs is a cafe/bar which took me over 25mins to get served the service was very slow indeed. Once I had my drink in hand I could not find a seat I joined around 50 other people by sitting on the floor. I stayed like that for 1h30mins. Not a good experience at all. The airport seriously and urgently needs to look at the needs of the passengers the airport clearly can't cope with the hundreds of passengers in the area at the same time and I was really pleased to board my flight up North. Won't be coming back in a hurry.

Southampton Airport customer review

The least expensive way of parking for a day at Southampton airport is to use the short term parking at £15.50 per day. This is more than the fare to Edinburgh! It will make me think twice before using Southampton again. There is a minimum charge of £24.90 in the long term area.

Southampton Airport customer review

Our arrival at SOU was made remarkable by the fact that the baggage made it to the belt before we did and it was not as if we had to walk a long way from the aircraft to the terminal. We did have to wait for a taxi though (about five minutes) but I expect that was due to our arrival at 10pm the penultimate arrival of the day. Our departure was at 6:30pm on a Sunday. This is a busy time for the airport and Flybe in particular and we ended up at the check-in queue for about half an hour. Flying with hand baggage only would have been an advantage as there was a fast moving dedicated queue for those lucky souls. The delay did not leave us much time to explore the airport but it didn't matter as there isn't much to explore. A reasonable duty free shop confronts you after passing through the efficient security and that is about it. There is a cafe on an upper floor with views over the runway but no other retail outlets. My advice is to obtain your chocolate bar and newspaper in W H Smith before passing through security. The terminal itself seems to be in need of expansion as it was rather crowded but was no worse than most other airport terminals in the world.

Southampton Airport customer review

I found the airport all it needed to be. No delays at check-in or security. Food provided expensively as you expect at a BAA airport - BAA are not the passengers friend. Reasonable terminal provides pretty straightforward access to the aircraft although the walk back in from the return flight was a bit pointlessly long and led to a locked door which was released by our shepherdess.