Southampton Airport

"Who are these baggage police"

Not Verified | On entering the security area, we were accosted by three ladies who rudely and aggressively challenged our carry on baggage size, insisting that we place them in test frames. The largest fitted and then when I pointed out that they could clearly see the other was smaller on all dimensions (widths, length and height), they would not let us through without again requiring us to put the smaller bag in the frame. When I asked them to report to Flybe our intense annoyance at being treated as guilty and having to prove our innocence, they advised they were not FlyBe employees. Who are these baggage police and to whom do they answer? Everyone around us was angry at this abusive treatment
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Worst airport experience"

Trip Verified | Arrival at Eastleigh was fine. Finding the Enterprise car rental cabin not so easy but I discussed the seperately with Enterprise. On my return it wasn't so good. Thankfully I only had a small bag so it was interesting to watch the Flybe staff checking every bag to see if it fit into their bag size checker. It caught a lot of people out. What Flybe need to do is to ensure they do the same procedure on departure. Be consistent at least. Now, the security queue was downright ridiculous. Its been many years since I've seen a queue as bad as this. The reason is simple. They want people to pay for priority security clearance. Other than if you're paying for business (not gonna happen with Flybe) this practice should be made illegal. People get agitated and think they are going to miss their flight so they panic and pay the fee. Unacceptable and unfair. There were two security check systems and only one in use. Again - clearly aimed at making profit at the expense of their customers. Worst airport experience for some time.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"worst experience of travel"

(Saudi Arabia)

Not Verified | This has been the worst experience of travel that i have ever experienced. Airport parking is an extortionate price for a 3 day stay. On arrival was challenged to check my bag size. Another way of income generation for Flybe. The assistant was completely unhelpful and downright obstructive. Following this approach many passengers were then referred to check in where the increased volume was not catered by additional check in counter staff and resulted in extensive queues with many passengers about to miss their flights. Lounge area is dated and reminds me of Spanish airports in the 1970’s As an airport manager, Riyadh, myself i know the importance of customer satisfaction and strive for improvement. Clearly Southampton pay no attention or completely ignorant of its value. A dangerous precedent for a business. All in all i shall be reassessing my travel plans for the future and for sure SOU will not be featuring in these.
Date VisitJune 2019

"pokey little airport"

Not Verified | Agree with all other comments before this post, best thing that could happen here is for Flybe to go bust and stop flying. Those here would then realise it's the passengers that they clearly hate who are the reason they are employed at the airport. A pokey little airport with all round poor facilities and staff who clearly hate passengers. The rating one out of ten is too high, it should be zero as zero is an achievable score.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"staffed by unpleasant people"

Trip Verified | As usual Southampton airport staff, with few exceptions, are surly and self important. And even though the airport is the size of a postage stamp, we nonetheless had to board a shuttle bus to take us the 50 yards to the plane. Only 1 bus was allotted so 20 minutes stuck on packed bus with people coughing, sneezing, babies crying etc. Then another 20 minutes for the bus to unboard and then board the plane. A most unpleasant airport staffed by unpleasant people (with the exceptions of the shops and restaurants there who seem to find lovely, helpful staff unlike Southampton Airport).
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"overall good experience"

Not Verified | A quiet airport, nice seating and overall good experience. However in the past I have had unexpected delays that caused problems and have sometimes struggled to get through the check in ques quickly. This hasn't been the worst. usually it is quiet but when its not it is not managed the best.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"did not get the courtesy of a reply"

Trip Verified | I had a bad experience with a staff member at Southampton Airport who was very rude to me on departure. I complained in writing, twice, with the last letter being addressed directly to the airport manager and sent by registered post. I did not get the courtesy of a reply for either letter which has lead me to ensure my company do not use this airport in future. I do not expect a customer complaint to be completely ignored but it seems to sum up the airport and my experience of it. Very poor.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"threatening signage everywhere"

Not Verified | This must be one of the most car hostile airports in the world, threatening signage everywhere. Pay to drop, pay to collect, fines if collection more than 10 minutes, conflicting signage, access through a trading estate. This is a tin pot airport not Heathrow but still they charge.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"have never received such rude treatment"

Trip Verified | Myself and the 7 or so other non EU passport holders were forced to wait while they proccessed the entire flight of EU citizens before they processed us. Like we are unwelcome and 2nd class people. I have travelled the world and have never received such rude treatment such as this, ususally are processed as we present in the queue.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"ground staff offered no explanation"

Verified Review | "Breeze through Southampton Airport" says the slogan on the side of the bus as we wait in a queue outside the terminal after disembarking our flight into Southampton on 24th September. The Flybe flight was 15 minutes early landing - great job! We were off the plane within minutes only to be held in an exterior pen for 10 minutes by ground staff who offered no explanation and who clearly had not been to any sort of charm school. No breezing through here. We figured out the reason for the delay - passengers were departing through a gate that we had to cross to get to the passport check and the arrivals hall, so we were held. It's not the first time this has happened to us, so isn't it about time that the airport took a look at the way it moves travellers around the terminal to improve it's coordination of departing/arriving traffic? Plus some extra staff training for the ground staff handing these situations would go a long way to easing travellers' frustrations.
Date VisitSeptember 2017