Sharm El Sheikh Airport

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

We have just came back from Sharm and had the most horrific airport experience in our life! There is no non-smoking area. People smoke everywhere considering it is an airconditioned room! The female toilet is disgusting. There is a cleaner inside but all she does is giving out tissue paper and you must pay for every tissue that she gives you! The price of foods inside the airport are too expensive. A can of coke for £2.0 crisp for £2.50 and a small toblerone for £2.0! The flight announcer is more confused than the travellers.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

First impressions were fairly promising. We were directed (by our travel rep) to a kiosk with NO queue to purchase our visas ($15 each) as we intended travelling outside the Sinai Peninsula. After that things got a little tedious as we then had to join an enormous queue for passport control. During the wait I nipped to the loo and encountered my first Egyptian eagerly holding out his hand for a tip (for simply turning on the hand drier for me as it happens!). Once through passport control picking up the bags from the carousel was fairly painless. We ignored the trolley attendants as we'd previously been made aware of the charge. On the way back we were stopped by a 'jobsworth' airport policeman on passing through the first scanning machine who confiscated the razor blades from my toiletries bag. Quite what he thought I could possibly do with these stowed in the hold of the plane remains a mystery. Check in was reasonably quick and having a few hours to kill we headed for passport control (no problem) and the duty free shops etc. Here I was faced with the one and only total rip off I had encountered during the whole of our stay in Sharm El Sheikh. £1.80 for a can of coke £1.50 for a tube of sweets £4.50 for a Kit Kat - surely some mistake! Alas no. They certainly capitalize on their 'captive audience' status here. I complained very loudly to two of the shopkeepers that at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask but it cut no ice with them. The lesson here is take your own snacks through in your hand luggage. Drinks are a litte more dodgy as liquids over 100ml are meant to be a no-no but I did see one person take a bottle of water from her hand luggage on the plane which was not purchased at the airport departure facilities so it is possible I guess. One plus point is that tobacco and spirits are exceedingly cheap here (200 B&H £9 1L malt whisky around £12). All in all we found this airport to be reasonably clean and tidy with a large seating area for departures. Signage can be confusing however and long waits for arrivals are certainly possible. I guess it took us about 1.5hrs to get through but I think there were only 3 plan loads of people to process. Multiply accordingly for more arrivals!

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

I for one have no plans to return to Sharm el Sheikh - the leaving process was horrific! On arriving everything went smoothly until baggage reclaim - there was our flight number on a screen over a certain carousel - fortunately I spotted my bag on a completely different carousel or we'd have been there all night. The departure terminal was packed when we arrived there - fortunately our rep managed to get us through a previously unmanned station. No sign of our airline's check in desk (Monarch) but someone eventually told us to check in at XL. When we found the check-in counter we were told our 11pm flight had been delayed till 1am but there were differing messages from all the people we spoke to. Eventually found the right person - our flight was on time. Through the queue (?) at security (huge signs limiting liquids but no action taken at all) into what potentially was a reasonable departure area. Packed with people - always a difficult time for any airport - but unfortunately probably 80% of them were smoking and it was impossible to get away from the smoke. Even the smoker in our party was feeling ill. The toilets were disgusting; not only filthy but it was pretty shocking to see huge cockroaches running around. Not necessary in a properly maintained airport! The departure screens told us the flight was boarding 40 mins before the boarding process started - no wonder everyone ignores the screens! The screens then declared our flight had departed (on time) before they'd even started boarding us. Is this so the authorities can claim a good departure record? 2.5 hours in the departure hall with a lungful of smoke every time you breathed was seriously unhealthy. We had a great holiday but I won't be going again.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

Second time at this airport. What a dream! We were through passport control and had retrieved the luggage within 10 mins. Return journey was also pretty good certainly comparable with Manchester airport.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

Just returned from Sharm el Sheikh. What a difference compared to last year. It took us just 10mins to get through passport control and get our suitcase. Instead of crowds pushing through they have organised a proper queuing system. Not before time. Flying home noticed the Airport now has Cafes whereas last year there was workmen everywhere. Once our luggage was scanned a rep met us and told us where to check in. We even had about 1.5hrs left before the flight to look around duty free shops.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

I have travelled to many placed around the world but have never seen such a farce. Nobody knows where to go or what to do after spending almost 2 hours waiting to go through passport control (no visa required for our stay but they still try and sell you one) you then find yourself with the other 12 flights that have landed trying desperately to work out which baggage carousel you should go to. There are no signs telling people which flight baggage is on which carousel. Coming out of the airport is the normal hassling from taxi drivers and the like. The journey back to the UK was just as bad. Again our flight did not appear on any screen in the airport so it was pretty much guess work & luck. Doesn't put you in the best of moods or give the impression of a country that takes tourism seriously.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

This is surely the most disorganised airport I have been through. Especially bad on returning to the UK. Three lots of baggage xrays. Huge queues everywhere. No toilets in the final departure areas. No seats as several flights leaving and often flights moved from one gate to another after standing for ages. Come on Egypt you need our custom! Get some logistics people in to improve things.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

Total chaos reigned. You arrive queue to get your visa form then queue to have it stamped which all takes about 1-1.5 hours. Departure was even more horrendous. We wanted the Manchester flight. The 'PA' system was one of may human voices calling our without even a megaphone. And the gate kept on changing. Eventually we got through only to be taken to the wrong aircraft. All-in-all quite an education.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

I've been to two airports in Egypt and this was the better one! Staff? - where?! They didn't seem to or want to know anything and just laughed at you all the time! Don't get a trolley as you have to pay to use them. Signs don't exist well not ones that make sense anyway. Always carry your own toilet paper with you as it is not given out for free as standard. The toilets don't flush just dribble. If the airport is pretty busy when you're there just cork it until you get on the plane (trust me you'll appreciate taking the advice) Security is everywhere you get x-rayed upon going in suitcase and all (hope you're strong!) then you go to the check-in desk get your tickets and to the departure lounge. You get x-rayed again buy drinks food maybe even a hashesh pipe or singing camel. The duty free shop is small chocolate is 4 times the price of alcohol the credit card machine didn't work and the legal tender of any country is accepted. Go through to the gates (they're just numbered doors - they all lead to the same place). Get x- rayed again. There are no toilets at the gates but there is a snack stand selling large packets of crisps at three times the price back home. If you really need to you can go back to the departure lounge but trust me it's not worth it. A generous 3 out of 10.

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

Renovation work is still going on here - the outside of the airport is vastly improved but the arrivals hall and visa area is a complete nightmare. Usually large queues for visas and passport control. As usual only the British queuing and all other nationalities esp Russians pushing in. Baggage reclaim is not always from the belt that has your flight number above it and many bags are taken off the belt and left lying around in piles. Returning for departure is an experience that could be described as something like 'Its a Knockout' Everyone runs off the bus into one building then through into another where the nightmare begins. Its a race to get to the queue for baggage screening. Whichever queue you pick is bound to stop for no reason then everyone moves to the next belt which also stops. No real security screening seems to take place although your case is put through the scanner none of the staff are actually watching the screen. Everyone is jostling to get into the queue and get their bags on first and tempers get frayed. Then suddenly out of the blue everything stops while a Sheikh gets through (unsearched) with his entourage. Once you reach check in it is a fairly slow process and you are not always advised you need to fill out an exit card for immigration before proceeding. Final passport check and into the duty free area which is a shambles. The renovations don't seem to have reached this far and there were several unattended gaping holes in the floor which posed serious injury risks. We were actually glad to get through to the final departures area to wait in the relative quiet until our flight was called. Be warned the toilets are awful and you need your own toilet paper otherwise the attendant will give you two squares for £1. Also odd to see uniformed staff smoking on duty at the gates and the local stray cats roaming through the terminal. Be prepared for a total culture shock if you are not accustomed to it. My partner works at our local UK airport and is astounded by Sharm every time! Saying that we have been back three times.