Sharm El Sheikh Airport

"Shame on you for your unorganized and impolite security"

(Egypt)

Not Verified | Absolutely terrible. Worst airport I’ve ever been in. Shame on you for your unorganized and impolite security. I checked the reviews and of course they were accurate as they were terrible. It really ruined my entire trip. This airport was so unorganized and the workers had the worst attitude, as they seemed to not care about moving us on time. Shame on you people. The workers were very rude and the line and security were so unorganized that we almost missed our flight.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"the worst airport I have ever been in my life"

Trip Verified | Probably the worst airport I have ever been in my life. Filthy, dilapidated and neglected hall, rude, loud and aggressive staff, smoking allowed (not in restricted areas), the list is endless. Was happy to leave it.
Date VisitApril 2021

"Just a terrible airport"

(Ukraine)

Trip Verified | Just a terrible airport. We had to go though 3 similar scans during our departure without any sense in them. First of all we stood 1.5hrs in a huge line at the airport entering area to go through scan and detailed hand-check, then 0.5hr on registration when only 1 person out of 3 accepted the customers, then another 0.7h on the same scan as the first one however with shoes off and after that random "hey show me you baggage and go to scan" request from airport security. We were late for 20 mins on a plane with arriving 2.5h before departure and whole that time we were standing in useless lines! I am not going to visit Sharm anymore to go though this stupid process with lazy people working there.
Date VisitApril 2021

"the worst airport I've been to, ever"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | It would be really hard to follow Skytrax Editorial policy on that review and not to include swearing, but I'll try. It's the worst airport I've been to, ever. It's just a constant security check. I understand why they are so uptight, but I really don't understand why they chose this approach. There are a dozen security checks before you can get to the gate, most of which are manual (yes, they will touch you and open all your bags with their hands, but also there are multiple x-ray machines too). Pretty much at every step there would be a guy with a God complex, even if you won't say anything but make a look "duh, again?", they will give you hell. Their policy is that you have to shut up and comply with everything. I'm not sure how the situation is in other international airports in Egypt, but surprisingly all domestic flights were smooth.
Date VisitNovember 2020

"precautionary procedures being followed"

(Egypt)

Trip Verified | Excellent, hardworking and clean. The staff went out of the way to make everything smooth and easy from start to finish. We noticed all precautionary procedures being followed this summer and autumn from start to finish to include masks, gloves and social distancing. The Covid-19 test was also easy and straight forward with excellent communication and toilets clean. We could not ask for a better airport. All the staff should be commended and congratulated on delivering excellence

"staff very helpful"

Trip Verified | Fantastic staff very helpful, airport security cant fault had 3 body searches bags checked and walked through xray machine only fault is duty free shop only opens 5 minutes before departure that makes the airport lose money as they do stock checking knowing a flight about to go when have 4 hours between 1am and 5 am to do this as no flights in that time period other than that very clean made sure distancing was done masks worn by passengers but half airport staff in duty-free or shop areas didn't wear then.
Date VisitSeptember 2020

"Good social distancing"

Not Verified | At first it was not really clear what departure hall we had to leave from. But as soon as we were at the right one it was simple, clean and calm. Good social distancing, clear signs (also English that was very nice since I can’t understand Arabic writing) luggage drop off was smooth. Did have a small problem with laptop drug test (no, I do not use any drugs!) but after my laptop was tested positive 5 times the security changed his gloves and that seemed to fixed the problem after that my laptop was clean and I was cleared to go!
Date VisitAugust 2020

"shocked by the aggressive and impolite security staff"

(Norway)

Not Verified | Special rules for this airport?! I have been to this airport 4 times and the building, the shops etc is okay. But, the "service" is not okay, especially from the security staff. People and luggage is scanned 2-3 times + 2 bodysearches. Some of the staff are nice and polite, but others should get a new job. This year (end of February) we encountered a new rule ("special for you" at this airport) - no small bottle of liquid (that contain alcohol) is allowed in hand-luggage. I have travelled all over the world, and never had any problems if I have small (5 cl) bottle of alcohol. But this time, after the second security scanning, I was yelled at in Russian (we don't even look Russian) by two security guys. I told them I only speak english, they told me I had to check in these small bottles. But that was of course too late. The explanation was - because of drunk Russians on planes! Then they threw them in the bin, including my antibac travel bottle (in these corona times we all need this). Both me and my 13 yr old daughter were shocked by the aggressive and impolite security staff.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"like a well-planned chaos"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | When we arrived at the departure hall, there was only one open entrance out of three and the queue was very long. A cheerful young lady greeted newcomers and offered so-called 'fast track' where you pay money and cut the queue; quite a number of exhausted passengers fell victim to this scheme and parted with their cash. A significant number of security officers, many of them wearing police uniforms, were imitating frenetic activity, while others either smoked cigarettes or drank tea. The queue moved very slowly. After about an hour waiting, another entrance was opened, but the passengers at the head of the queue were prevented from going there; instead, the police directed the tail of the queue to the newly-opened entrance. Thus, those who came last went through the security first. When it was our turn to take our suitcases to the X-Ray machine, a policeman demanded we show him our tickets, and as we hadn't bothered to print them out beforehand, we were unable to produce them. It's not a terribly busy airport with Turkish Airlines flying to Istanbul only three or four times a week, so everybody just shuffles up to their check-in counter and presents their passport. In the absence of tickets, the policeman asked for the flight number, but all we could tell him at 1:20 in the morning was, 'Turkish Airlines, Istanbul, 3:40'. My bad, I know, it's unforgivable not to memorise your flight number. I suggested that I go to the flight timetable in the centre of the hall and look up the flight number, but he was unrelenting and very serious; he ordered us to step out of the queue and wait aside, but then suddenly he smiled and waved his hand towards the X-Ray machine. I guess this was his sadistic way to entertain himself in the middle of the night. The security staff were younger and slightly more efficient; our first-aid pouch with aspirin, paracetamol and some other over-the-counter medications took them less than two minutes to inspect and they took no interest in the suitcases. The THY ground staff behind the check-in counters were reasonably fast, albeit numerous – no less than three staff at each desk. The elderly border guard who was checking and stamping the passports was more concerned about collecting cash from various uniformed people escorting the 'fast track' passengers. One such passenger, rather young and slightly hysterical because he thought he was missing his Fly Pegasus flight, arrived at the border without having been checked in for the flight; his uniformed escort received some dressing-down from the border guard, collected the passport and turned to go back to the airline counter, but the border guard called after him and returned the wad of cash that had been given to him half a minute earlier. Some honesty and propriety at last. I cannot comment on the terminal seating arrangements and other amenities because we did not have time to enjoy the duty-free shopping or just to buy a bottle of water; as soon as we cleared through all the security barriers, we boarded the plane. Overall, the whole operation looked like a well-planned chaos created in order to distort money from captive passengers. I do not think my country, the Russian Federation, will soon restore direct flights to Sharm El Sheikh; I am sure the relevant authorities are well aware of the situation at this airport and the venal practices of the police.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"leads to enormous queues"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience! This was the second or third time we had to undergo this new control delusion at SSH, and it grows worse every time we pass it. Three controls! Not only for hand luggage and personal wearings, but also for the contents of your suitcase. For each control you have to get of your shoes and clothes (one gentleman had to strip unto his naked torso because his pullover had buttons and was suspected to be a cardigan! I was glad they left him his trousers.), You have to open your laptop, put each electronic device on the tray. Then you have to get it back into your bags and put everything on again for it makes more fun to unpack and strip again at the next control. Of course, this leads to enormous queues, and sometimes 2.5 hours are not enough to get only through the first control. The message to us tourists is clearly: Keep away from sinai! You are not wanted. We are so fed up with this disrespectful treatment that we won't return to sinai as long as these police state manners do not change.