Sharm El Sheikh Airport

"shocked by the aggressive and impolite security staff"

(Norway)

Not Verified | Special rules for this airport?! I have been to this airport 4 times and the building, the shops etc is okay. But, the "service" is not okay, especially from the security staff. People and luggage is scanned 2-3 times + 2 bodysearches. Some of the staff are nice and polite, but others should get a new job. This year (end of February) we encountered a new rule ("special for you" at this airport) - no small bottle of liquid (that contain alcohol) is allowed in hand-luggage. I have travelled all over the world, and never had any problems if I have small (5 cl) bottle of alcohol. But this time, after the second security scanning, I was yelled at in Russian (we don't even look Russian) by two security guys. I told them I only speak english, they told me I had to check in these small bottles. But that was of course too late. The explanation was - because of drunk Russians on planes! Then they threw them in the bin, including my antibac travel bottle (in these corona times we all need this). Both me and my 13 yr old daughter were shocked by the aggressive and impolite security staff.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"like a well-planned chaos"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | When we arrived at the departure hall, there was only one open entrance out of three and the queue was very long. A cheerful young lady greeted newcomers and offered so-called 'fast track' where you pay money and cut the queue; quite a number of exhausted passengers fell victim to this scheme and parted with their cash. A significant number of security officers, many of them wearing police uniforms, were imitating frenetic activity, while others either smoked cigarettes or drank tea. The queue moved very slowly. After about an hour waiting, another entrance was opened, but the passengers at the head of the queue were prevented from going there; instead, the police directed the tail of the queue to the newly-opened entrance. Thus, those who came last went through the security first. When it was our turn to take our suitcases to the X-Ray machine, a policeman demanded we show him our tickets, and as we hadn't bothered to print them out beforehand, we were unable to produce them. It's not a terribly busy airport with Turkish Airlines flying to Istanbul only three or four times a week, so everybody just shuffles up to their check-in counter and presents their passport. In the absence of tickets, the policeman asked for the flight number, but all we could tell him at 1:20 in the morning was, 'Turkish Airlines, Istanbul, 3:40'. My bad, I know, it's unforgivable not to memorise your flight number. I suggested that I go to the flight timetable in the centre of the hall and look up the flight number, but he was unrelenting and very serious; he ordered us to step out of the queue and wait aside, but then suddenly he smiled and waved his hand towards the X-Ray machine. I guess this was his sadistic way to entertain himself in the middle of the night. The security staff were younger and slightly more efficient; our first-aid pouch with aspirin, paracetamol and some other over-the-counter medications took them less than two minutes to inspect and they took no interest in the suitcases. The THY ground staff behind the check-in counters were reasonably fast, albeit numerous – no less than three staff at each desk. The elderly border guard who was checking and stamping the passports was more concerned about collecting cash from various uniformed people escorting the 'fast track' passengers. One such passenger, rather young and slightly hysterical because he thought he was missing his Fly Pegasus flight, arrived at the border without having been checked in for the flight; his uniformed escort received some dressing-down from the border guard, collected the passport and turned to go back to the airline counter, but the border guard called after him and returned the wad of cash that had been given to him half a minute earlier. Some honesty and propriety at last. I cannot comment on the terminal seating arrangements and other amenities because we did not have time to enjoy the duty-free shopping or just to buy a bottle of water; as soon as we cleared through all the security barriers, we boarded the plane. Overall, the whole operation looked like a well-planned chaos created in order to distort money from captive passengers. I do not think my country, the Russian Federation, will soon restore direct flights to Sharm El Sheikh; I am sure the relevant authorities are well aware of the situation at this airport and the venal practices of the police.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"leads to enormous queues"

Trip Verified | Horrible experience! This was the second or third time we had to undergo this new control delusion at SSH, and it grows worse every time we pass it. Three controls! Not only for hand luggage and personal wearings, but also for the contents of your suitcase. For each control you have to get of your shoes and clothes (one gentleman had to strip unto his naked torso because his pullover had buttons and was suspected to be a cardigan! I was glad they left him his trousers.), You have to open your laptop, put each electronic device on the tray. Then you have to get it back into your bags and put everything on again for it makes more fun to unpack and strip again at the next control. Of course, this leads to enormous queues, and sometimes 2.5 hours are not enough to get only through the first control. The message to us tourists is clearly: Keep away from sinai! You are not wanted. We are so fed up with this disrespectful treatment that we won't return to sinai as long as these police state manners do not change.

"random unorganised chaos"

(Belgium)

Trip Verified | I'm half Dutch Egyptian and I lived in both countries over 10 years. I've traveled to over 30 countries in my life and let me tell you, security in Sharm el-Sheikh Airport is the worst I experienced in all my life of travel, it was not like that years ago. Security staff are unfriendly, everyone has to go thru 3 security checks but if you are lucky they chose you randomly another 3 times to check your bag and register your name and destination. No manners, unfriendly, a lot of useless questions just out of curiosity, my wife was checked for any money or jewellery, just out of curiosity. No system, no ethics and no clear explanations. Instead of improving it in a professional manner you end up with this subjective random unorganised chaos. Please write your review so we can make a change. Tui flights were forced to let their passengers out in Hurghada on the way to Europe for no clear reason and just for 30 min. This has to improve and today we can wait on the plane during transit. I believe we can make a change by reporting it and complaining.
Date VisitJune 2019

"the staff are getting worse"

Not Verified | I have been to this airport on several occasions, the staff are getting worse each and every time, they are rude ignorant and they think it’s a fun game to talk on their phones and screw us around. Their security is overkill, security is important but 5 times just to make it to the boarding terminal is a bit much and that’s not including getting in the bus to go to the plane. Some of the guards like to mess around with you and the very next person going threw just gets waived.
Date VisitApril 2019

"nonsense and chaotic experience"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | The airport's security has been 'improved' only to become a true nonsense and chaotic experience to travelers with security checks being implemented one after the other, even when entering the airport facility you have to show your 'boarding pass' even though you haven't reach the check in area still. Oddly enough, before checking in you have to pass through a security check where your baggage could be open. After visa procedures there's even other security check where you have to take off your shoes, normal procedure in Egypt but they don't give you plastic bags here for the feet. Visa and passport procedures on entering the country are also very complicated and slow even at night when there are very few aircraft movements. Airport staff generally very unfriendly and not knowledgeable of international procedures.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"bathrooms are pretty gross"

Excellent experience arriving and departing. The airport is modern, comfortable, and easy to access. The only thing to note is that the bathrooms are pretty gross. It was like they hadn't been clean in a week. Also, like with other airports in the region, always keep an eye on your stuff, even when going through security. All I know is my bag went in with a nice bottle of cologne, but did not come back with it.
Date VisitMay 2015

"our arrival was so smooth"

Haven't used Sharm airport for a few years and recall it being a bit of a chaotic place. This time our arrival on 29th September was so smooth, we we're off the plane and stood outside with bags in 15 mins. Departure back to UK as also very quick, we checked in and through security within 30 mins, departure lounge is still expensive but I would say it was clean, even the toilets, we were either lucky both ways or things have greatly improved. Couldn't seem to get on to any airport wifi though it seemed available. Staff did thier job but as usual without any smiles.
Date VisitOctober 2015

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

This must be the most disgusting "International Airport" in the world. At all costs try and avoid the toilets as they are a health hazard. Overpriced food in the Departure lounge bad food at that! Very humid and uncomfortable, we could not wait to get away as this airport departure lounge ruined the last day of our holiday. Will never go to this airport again unfortunately that means we will not return to Sharm. The male toilets stank but at least no queue even though I was asked for money to get a paper towel to dry my hands by the toilet attendant on the other hand the female toilets had a massive queue and the smell which wafted out into the departure lounge was revolting. Duty Free - had 2 tills open and you could only pay in cash despite Visa signs so people were dumping their shopping then having to hand over their passport, nip into arrivals, get cash from ATM which was out of order!
Date VisitJuly 2015

Sharm El Sheikh Airport customer review

Arrival hall is far too small. Struggled to walk through tour groups around visa area to the immigration. Toilets are dirty and smelly. As for departure hall at terminal 1, it took me an hour to get through duty free area. Hundreds passengers stuck outside the terminal cos everyone needed to pass x-ray point before checking in (only 4 x-ray machines). After checking in and pass immigration, we had to pass the x-ray point again with tons of people. Staff were very rude. One of them pushed my back at the x-ray point though. Food and drinks at departure lounge are quite expensive for the quality. Burger King was so busy with a very long queue. You better arrive at this airport early or you might miss the flight.
Date VisitJune 2015