Shanghai Pudong Airport

"unique unprofessionalism"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | A very frustrating and poorly organized airport. Upon arrival it took 30 minutes from a very remote part of the airport to Immigration. (I catch this flight every weekend so I know it is standard). It then took 50 minutes to clear immigration and we still had to wait quite some time for the bags to arrive. After an absurdly long wait for baggage you are met with a huge queue to leave the airport. All bags are scanned again to try and squeeze some extra money in duty for gifts or luxury products they find in suitcases. Sadly they rarely find anything as the security are laughing, play fighting and horsing around rather that looking at the security cameras. Shanghai airport staff have a unique unprofessionalism I have never seen anywhere else. Departure is a similar debacle, I arrived at the airport with 1 and half hours before my flight. (10.50 as the flight was 12.20) Unfortunately bags are ‘scanned before entering the airport by a similar disinterested and unfocused security person, yawning and dozing and occasionally looking at the screen. ‘Security check 1’ this took 35 minutes just to get into the airport and by the time I went to check in the flight had closed. It’s important to add that check in staff can be rude at best. They found me the worst seat they could on a 1.00 pm flight which gave me 1 and a half hours to reach the gate. The usual chaos that takes place at immigration and security meant that after waiting in line for almost an hour I had to be rushed through security as I was going to miss yet another flight. Expectedly, the gate had been changed without any notice on the main board to the complete opposite side of the airport. Anything this airport can get wrong they will with flying colours. They have the latest infrastructure but it seems when they get a system that is efficient they immediately change it to create complete chaos. Frankly I am shocked that they don’t feel any shame or embarrassment for delivering a system that could be improved by a 5 year old. I dread using this airport! They have excessive security checks but the sheer lack of serious professionalism across almost all support staff makes you feel unsafe. Still have to say the treatment of passengers is still better than in any US airport I have visited!
Date VisitMay 2019

"Food choices were meagre"

Trip Verified | I am a Star Alliance Gold member, so I was not overly concerned when I was facing a ten-hour layover at this airport: I thought I would spend it in the lounge and get a good day's worth of work done. Not so fast: you must enter China and transit without a visa if you connect between terminals 1 and 2. Going through immigration is relatively straightforward if you know that you need the blue slip and not the yellow slip. The queue was long, taking about 45 minutes to clear. If you do not know that you need the blue slip, you have to do the whole procedure of queuing up twice. Don't expect anybody to speak English or be helpful in any way. Online check-in was not permitted, so once I cleared immigration, I had to wait until the counters opened about four hours before the flight. So six hours were spent in the grimy public area, repeatedly harassed by people trying to sell me iPhones and taxi rides. Vegan food is not available. Once I could finally check in, I went to the lounge. It is one of the worst I have seen. Food choices were meagre, particularly for vegans, but to their credit, they had some nice loose tea. The rest area was very noisy and not particularly conducive to get work done.
Date VisitApril 2019

"worst airport I’ve seen"

Trip Verified | The worst airport I’ve ever seen in my 33 years of traveling. When we went through customs they had 1 booth open with a very long long. We waited one hour, which means people behind us could have waited up to three. Every staff member ranged from unwelcoming to rude. I asked one how to get to terminal 2 and he literally shrugged his shoulders and walked away. The food options were literally beef or pork, everywhere. I eat neither. It’s probably the worst airport we could have spent 10 hours in, we were going to try and explore Shanghai a bit but gave up due to everyone’s attitude and how confusing the airport was to navigate.
Date VisitApril 2019

"It's a horrible terminal"

Trip Verified | Shanghai was a connection with China Eastern Airlines. I will pay more and take longer journeys to avoid Pudong Airport. The international terminal is very dated. There are no charging stations or outlets per seat. It's 2019, that is unheard of. They do have a few charging stations. There is roughly 2 per gate with not all working. And, those stations are only for two people (one each side). Doing the math, 2 people can charge per gate. In my 2-layovers totaling 10 hours, I saw only 1 security guard and he was standing at Starbucks getting coffee. He wasn't concerned that most of the seats are used by people sleeping on them (mainly one particular race). However, no one was there to get them to sit up so people could sit. Passengers are standing because people are using 3-4 seats so they can lay. Others are using empty seats for their bags. There was a bratty child who's parents were lying on the seats while he was trying to fly his drone in the terminal. He hit multiple people with it but no one was there to correct it. I used the kiosk to get internet. the code never worked. Asking the staff, they had no idea. It's a horrible terminal.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"absolutely terrible"

Not Verified | This is the worst airport in the world! Smelly toilets! Long queues! Had to walk in the cold and rain to the plane! Waiting lounges were as cold as a fridge with zero heating! Terrible! Simply and absolutely terrible!
Date VisitMarch 2019

"hope that the signage becomes more clear"

Trip Verified | Roughly 5 hour HK/INTL transit, all on Air China Terminal 2. First got fingerprinted at a kiosk and obtained a receipt which was easy. Next I got upstairs and saw a sign for transit passengers, yet still somehow managed to wait in the wrong line. I became quite upset. Ultimately though I was shown the correct line and got a 24 hour visa free transit stamp. I then had to exit through customs as there was no separate lane leading to the gates for transit passengers. Since I was outside the secure area anyway, I went outside and got some fresh air. There was a small lake and a wooded area right near the terminal. I didn't feel I had adequate time to visit the city, but it was a possibility. Finally I went back inside and went through the exit passport check and security and got into the gate area. Overall a nice clean terminal with plenty of seating, clean restrooms, and water dispensers. In short however, I was quite disappointed that the transit experience was so different from the one in Beijing, where if you had an immediate connection you could simply follow a clearly marked and only slightly tedious path to get right to your connecting gate, without having to fill out any paperwork. I hope that the signage in Shanghai becomes more clear and less confusing for international transit passengers, simply stating that you have to get a 24 hour transit stamp, so just fill out a blue card, not a yellow one, and go straight to counters number 1 or 2 at the far left hand side of the building if you're arriving in Terminal 2 as you enter to do so.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"pathetic excuse for an international airport"

(China)

Trip Verified | What a pathetic excuse for an international airport! I flew a round-trip from Pudong to New York and then when I returned to Pudong, caught a domestic flight to Nanchang. On both legs this airport was grossly understaffed. On my outbound flight only 2 of the immigration desks for foreigners were manned and most were empty. The queue was long and slow moving. Nobody came round to check if anyone had an imminent flight so it would be easy to miss your flight here. On the way back it was the same at immigration with most desks unmanned. When queuing up to check-up for my flight to Nanchang, the queues for domestic check-in in terminal 1 were so long that they stretched way beyond the snake barriers and it became confusing as to which desks passengers could use. For some reason China Eastern domestic passengers were only allowed to use the 'B' check-in area, even though the 'C' check-in area, which also belongs to China Eastern, was open but with hardly any passengers. Again many desks were unmanned and staff did nothing to assist or prevent people queue-jumping. Furthermore, seating is woefully inadequate and the staff does nothing to stop local passengers reserving seats for their friends and family hence it is often impossible to find somewhere to sit down. Overall this airport is a national embarrassment to China and passengers should try to avoid using it, especially terminal 1.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"turned out to be a nightmare"

Not Verified | This airport turned out to be a nightmare. They had a two hour window which wasn't enough getting a connecting flight and missed the flight. They force passengers to collect luggage. Get fingerprinted go through security as if its not a connecting flight. Also huge queues to immigration for no reason, all signs are in Chinese, also WiFi impossile unless you speak Chinese. All passengers were forced to pay for new flights if you didn't have a credit card you would be stuck in China. My wife had to pay £400 for a new flight as everyone else did some passengers also had kids. The airport is an Incompetent mess. Who makes connecting flight passengers go through immigration and security with your whole luggage this one does its insane.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"you'll enjoy Pudong"

Not Verified | LAX to Clark (CRK) via PVD, 21 Nov on China Eastern was smooth all the way. Boarding passes for LAX Pudong and Pudong to CRK have been printed in LAX. Luggage had been routed to CRK direct. Airline staff said "No need to get out of Pudong airport." Upon arrival at Pudong, China Eastern uses bus shuttle to transport pax to Arrivals cum Transit. Then follow foreigner transit sign, use computer (a crew is watching if you are doing it right, helps you in case of problems) to input your transit info, take photo, or finger print, then machine prints your document to show the immigration and custom staff one floor above Arrivals. Procedure is routine and basic international system, lines may be long, etc. Then find your gate! Why are other passengers crying out foul about this? Because they are not alert, are tired or dismissive. Once you are used to this procedure, you'll enjoy Pudong! and China Eastern's low low air fare!
Date VisitNovember 2018

"avoid this place if you can"

Not Verified | If there's ever an airport to avoid, let it be this one. Unprofessional, bureaucratic with multiple processes. Fingerprints are taken multiple times, multiple immigration lines even if you're just catching another flight. You have to take your luggage, take it through security and check it in again, then exit the airport before finding the transit area. Then go through immigration again. Most importantly, if you have a passport from a non-Western country, avoid this place if you can. They will treat you like a second-class citizen. I nearly missed my flight simply because they did not believe I had a right to transit through the country (though I was already there and had transited through China before) and because they felt my Canadian visa was fake. I've had this happen at other airports but never as humiliating as this.
Date VisitJanuary 2019