Seattle Airport

"now rivals LAX in terms of chaos"

Not Verified | SeaTac now rivals LAX in terms of chaos, in my opinion. We waited in a line of 100+ people for the shuttle. (After spending about 20 minutes trying to even find where to go). There was no signage and the path to get there is a construction zone right now; we had to weave around various obstacles. We got on the 4th shuttle after about 30 minutes of waiting. Then we had to wait 45 min in line to actually get the car that I had already paid for and had already pre-checked in for (well that’s Budget’s fault, not SeaTac’s). Between these issues and taxiing on the runway, I didn’t leave the airport until 3 hours after touching down. I also had a bad experience last year when flying out of SeaTac, I almost missed my flight despite arriving 90 minutes early because of their “spot saver” program. People are allowed to just cut in line for the security check. This is not the regular pre-check program, this is just people who know about the app before they arrive to the airport and can sign up to skip in line
Date VisitJune 2024

"This airport is a joke"

Not Verified | This airport is a joke. So spread out. Poor/confusing signage. So difficult to move around the airport to gate locations. The "train" system is a farce. Takes so long to get between terminals. I suppose if you use the airport a lot you "know" the in's and out's of how it operates. If you are a first timer I am afraid it is an airport to lay down and avoid if you can. Took us 1.5 hours from time we arrived at the airport to get to the gate in the "S" terminal. TSA was slow, transiting inside the airport was slow. Then we missed the flight by 2 mins. That's another issue with Frontier! If you do have to use this airport I suggest you add at least 1.5 hours to what you normally expect at other airports. When we arrived it was no better. Took so long to get from the arrival gate to the off airport rental car location. The place is a mess and who ever designed it needs a head read. It's just nasty. Seems whoever owns this place is more focused on building a sprawling ediface than serving the people that use it. So sad in a first world country to have to endure a place like this. It would be interesting stat to know how many people have missed flights from Sea Tac in last 3 months? A lot would be my opinion.
Date VisitJune 2024

“single worst US airport experience”

Not Verified | The single worst US airport experience I’ve ever had. I’m an extremely experienced traveler and have had better experiences in many third world airports. I will take connections, fly red eyes, drive coast to coast, or do whatever else is necessary to avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitJune 2024

“Customer service was extremely lacking”

Not Verified | Customer service was extremely lacking in care and concern for their customers. Requests were ignored. Communication poor between agents. Travel through the airport was difficult because of the long distances with only two short people movers. Airport under construction so had to disembark to a shuttle, that broke down, then to a tram just to get to the terminal. For some needing a wheelchair, good luck; uncomfortable metal carts where the porters drop you off and left you there with no way to get around afterwards (bathroom, food, water) it took agents 30 to 45 minutes to get a wheelchair for assistance. Long long distances between bathrooms. Our ticket agent was very good trying to handle the request, just no help from other until boarding time then porter was helpful.
Date VisitJune 2024

"just not a good experience

Not Verified | Construction at the airport and it is an absolute nightmare. On my arrival it was very difficult to find the way out and there are no corresponding signs inside and outside to coordinate a meeting point. On my departure I arrived two hours before a domestic flight and missed my flight. The TSA lines were absolutely awful. There is no direction, no way to find the end of the incredibly long lines. You can pay for special lines (Clear and Pre-check) which seem to be better staffed but who knows if that would have helped. I was booked on a later flight so I stored my bags, very hard to find, another long line. The air-train into Seattle was great! Only $3 and easy to navigate. Once back for my later flight I had to wait forever to retrieve my bags and go back through security. It took almost an hour with a spot saver at a time the airport was not crowded. The closest bathrooms were closed, no bottle filler close by, just not a good experience at all. My plane was then delayed over an hour waiting for flight crew while we sat on the tarmac. In a city rich with technology, you would think the airport would be better.
Date VisitJune 2024

“customer satisfaction was not a priority”

Not Verified | I recently had the misfortune of passing through Sea/Tac Airport, and I must say, it was an experience I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. From the moment I stepped foot inside, I was greeted with an atmosphere of disdain and hostility that permeated every corner of the terminal. The staff, if you can even call them that, were the epitome of rudeness. It was as if they had undergone special training in how to make passengers feel unwelcome and inconvenienced. Any attempt at seeking assistance was met with eye rolls, sighs of exasperation, and curt, dismissive responses. It's as if they viewed travelers not as valued customers, but as nuisances disrupting their day. The lack of basic courtesy was astonishing. It's one thing to encounter a grumpy employee here or there, but it seemed like a pervasive culture of indifference had infected the entire workforce. It was abundantly clear that customer satisfaction was not a priority for them. To add insult to injury, the facilities were woefully inadequate. Long queues snaked through the terminal, with no discernible logic or organization. Overall, my experience at Sea/Tac Airport left me deeply disappointed and frustrated. It's a shame that such a crucial hub for travel can be so poorly managed and staffed by individuals who seem to take pleasure in making passengers' lives miserable. I would advise anyone considering flying through this airport to think twice and explore alternative options if possible.
Date VisitJune 2024

"escorted me back to Agricultural Products"

Not Verified | "Welcome to the United States." (Message to international visitors and returning residents at Seattle/Tacoma International Airport). A connecting flight in Amsterdam with a 90-minute window turned into a sprint for the gate after a backlog at Passport Control. The employees there worked hard to continue monitoring the flight departures of those waiting. The backlog was, apparently due to current U.S. mandates about rechecking all passports at certain airports, including Schiphol/Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Perhaps some European airports are more experienced in handling security and passport control. They were, after all, screening passengers more closely for nearly a half-century before American airports did more than x-ray bags and ask international passengers to declare duty items purchased overseas. We Americans did not appear very popular in the overseas airport on that day. A kind Croatian friend gave me fruit for the journey. She has never had means to travel or the luxury of wasting food, so can't comprehend the immediate confiscation of food products upon arrival in U.S. She also speaks better English than the male Passport Control official at Window 13, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, whose questions consisted of the following: (missing verbs are his, not my transcribing) "Why you in Amsterdam? Why you in Vienna? Why you bring fruit?" I had to repeat myself twice and raise my voice several volumes for his comprehension. He then had me escorted to the empty Agricultural Products area, where the two personnel at X-ray aisle 15 threw the produce away. When I asked if I could eat my two apples and a tangerine in their view, one said: "This isn't a dining area." The other said that fruits and vegetables couldn't enter the country. "Regulations". I believe she meant unpackaged. And, of course, they were already IN the country. And, of course, the regulations quoted state that these foods must be declared. No displayed regulation states that they must be confiscated without chance of consumption, thereby raising the chances of unpackaged food going unreported and actually moving through the country. When I retrieved some of my belongings, I told the personnel that I would know how to handle any produce in future. Both told me that my "threat was recorded on security cameras." Note: I had forgotten to remove the paring knife provided by my Croatian hostess, which was in my carry-on bag. It traveled through all security without incident, including the rechecks in Seattle/Tacoma International Airport. I still have it. My duty-free bag didn't exit with my other luggage. I went back for it. Two security guards' escorted me back to Agricultural Products, one checking the bag (which had already been through Passport Control with the aforementioned official at Window 13), checking receipts, asking to verify the credit card used for purchase, then escorting me out. Apparently security doubles for Agricultural Produce employees? Security guards now assume the duties of Customs officials? No one else seems to be carrying them out. What is that costing the U.S. in Customs duties? Everyone was busy with a tangerine and two apples and a duty-free bag. I sincerely thank all of the flight and gate personnel at Seattle/Tacoma International. The less said about certain Ag Produce and Passport Control personnel, the better.

"Worst airport ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever. Confusing. Seattle airport changes gates two or three times. I'm handicapped. One of The w/c helpers dropped me off at my gate, I didn't know where to go, I'm not able to walk well. How is an elderly person supposed to navigate on their own? When I asked for help finding my new gate, I was ignored, they are too busy to help. Why aren't people notified when gates are changed.? Their must be a better way. I hope I never have to go there again.

"TSA was horrible"

Not Verified | This is the airport where I have had my worst experience. It took three hours to make it to my connecting flight after flying in internationally. TSA was horrible. It was a single lane for the majority of the passengers and TSA agents could care less. They couldn’t have been less empathetic. I had a three hour layover and barely made my flight. Lots of others missed their flights.
Date VisitMay 2024

"inefficient frustrating slow process"

Trip Verified | A lack of leadership from top down creates an inefficient frustrating slow process for travelers, consistently, no matter the day or time of year, that is made worse by an arrogant, snarky, reactive, other-blaming attitudes throughout the departure process, and there is an effort made to communicate that everyone is doing the best they can and nothing is their fault and that it is just a hard day. These lies could not be believed by even the one saying them. There is no effort to improve conditions. Driving through arrivals/departures there is no order or enforcement and it is like the wild Wild West. I don’t want to make friends with a representative or customer agent, I want to get where I am going. There is no good reason that anyone needs to arrive 3 hours before and miss a flight. The bandaid relative solution of a spot saver is the worst idea ever. 5 lines of paid or tech-savvy people all flowing through a slow process of TSA who just won’t be told what to do and won’t change because they think what they are doing is working. It isn’t. Ask anyone who has ever traveled through any other airport. Hire an outside leadership group to identify the problems, or anyone who works and lives outside of the Portland/Seattle area, get rid of the people who won’t change, and then start to get to normal. Then once it becomes mediocre you will have a different perspective on where is possible to go from there.