Salzburg Airport

"overcrowded and claustrophobic airport"

Not Verified | The most overcrowded and claustrophobic airport I have ever been to. There is nowhere to go, nowhere to sit (hello, floors!) and water costs a ridiculous amount. That's if you are ready to queue to the only shop in the barrack, sorry, I meant departure area. Check in is quick and airport is clean but what difference does it make if you have to wipe the floor with your stuff if you want to sit down? The airport administration should seriously consider the conditions it provides to the passengers. Maybe it has a runway that can accommodate many flights but the facilities inside the building are enought for under half the amount of people im surrounded by in the departure area right now. I travelled from the same airport in January 2017 and the conditions were exactly the same.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"A really poor experience"

Not Verified | On arrival on Sat 2nd. March we had to queue outside the building then inside the building for a total of 30 mins to get through passport control - two unmanned counters on what I assume is busiest slot of week and season! No signs at luggage reclaim as to where to collect skis- found out from another passenger that they are left outside the terminal building in the bus park. On flight home one week later even more chaotic with skis - 80 metre queue outside terminal 2 with people directed to join it to check skis in. People in front confirmed we were in the right queue. After about 15 mins in this queue we came across a small sign that said this queue was for TUI and other charter carriers. Asked Crystal rep and he confirmed we were in the wrong queue and that we should check in skis with rest of luggage in Jet2 check in desks. One hour later the woman at checkout said that I should now rejoin the queue outside to drop off my now labelled skis. Fortunately by now the queue outside was only about 40 metres long so I resigned myself to about another 25 mins waiting. My prayers were answered by a helpful Crystal rep who said that I should take my skis back inside an ring a bell on a door to the right and simply hand my skis over. I was overjoyed when this worked. I was then able to help out some fellow Brits who had also been misinformed by check-in desk staff. A few signs in the airport would be much appreciated. I will try to avoid using Salzburg airport again as it is incapable of handling the passenger numbers in the ski season. It seems it is happy to take the money but unwilling to provide the service. The contrast with Innsbruck Airport at the same time of year could not be greater. A really poor experience.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"freezing cold and miserable"

Trip Verified | I was a passenger on Jet2 on Saturday 26th January. The temperature was -5C outside. The "warehouse" that serves as a departure lounge at Salzburg Airport was overcrowded and from one to four doors (directly to the buses) were open most of the time to board flights. We, and others from our flight, sat in anoraks with hoods up, gloves on, scarves on, freezing cold and miserable - some without seats. Do staff ever monitor the departure lounge?? The situation was made worse because catering in the departure lounge is totally inadequate. May I suggest that before Salzburg improve their runway and perhaps take even more flights, that they address the situation in the departure lounge. You are treating your passengers like cattle. And that is not an exaggeration.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"so relieved to get back to Heathrow"

Trip Verified | I agree with all the comments about overcrowding and no seats. This has been going on for years now. There are no staff in the entire passenger waiting area there, so you are right to be worried, only the two guys at the cafe counter and perhaps staff in the shop. No airport personnel whatsoever. The 'gates' get only staffed when there is a plane leaving, ie with border control and airline ground staff. They seem to run the airport as if nothing had changed in the last 40 years. This is how long I have been using this airport. Today, however, we had the most awful experience with the security staff. While they have always been laid back, approachable and amenable so far, today they had just set up a new electronic scanning area for the boarding passes guarded by a rather unpleasant woman. I was there with my (clearly visibly) elderly mother and this 'Rottweiler' barked at her that 'she' needs her boarding pass now. When my mother started fidgeting and complained that she could not set down her handbag/luggage anywhere and it took all a bit long - note that were absolutely no other passengers around that we would be holding up - that woman just kept barking at her can she get herself through the (very narrow) barriers now which she was holding open for her but not telling her, letting her try another one. So, my mother did in fact rush, got angry, nearly fell, nearly damaged that wrapped picture that she was carrying - I could not believe it. This would not happen at Heathrow or anywhere else I go. Staff would be there to help, not to commandeer. The woman kept on mumbling loudly to herself while I was standing there a few meters away observing how my mother got through security. (because there was nobody else around and nothing for her to do) 'what awful passengers there are sometimes and how people can possibly behave like that'. After my mother had cleared security I asked her - she had still nothing to do, no more passengers - why she had done that. She barked "this is an airport. Move along now, go away." I then observed how they went on to be very unpleasant at the actual conveyor belt/x-ray, (eg only gesturing at people instead of talking, not answering questions) as if they were totally overworked which they clearly were not in the absence of any crowds. A total absence of civility, training and professionalism. There was only one metal detector in operation, the usual crowds piling up in front of it even though there was very low passenger numbers, ie total inefficiency. I myself went through the little extra tucked away business class security thing because I was flying to a different destination. That was deserted, ie I could have gone through unseen if I had not said loudly 'where are the boarding pass scanners here?' At that point, another woman security chief jumped out of a back room and barked 'it is with me!' (and it was a little hand operated one). That obviously meant in clear text 'you answer to me'. They could hardly bring themselves to use a half way civil tone, the three of them. I was and still am really upset about the whole thing. The airport is just a big anonymous money making machine for them now, they have a new management, they don't give a toss anymore about their paying customers. Yes, it is a very poor impression you take with you. I have rarely been so relieved to get back to Heathrow.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"a little claustrophobic"

Not Verified | Tiny airport, a little claustrophobic. Don't go too early for your flight as security queues are non existent and there is very little choice in shopping. It is the most expensive coffee I have ever had. One small paper cup of cappuccino and a small American cost 8 euro 30 cents.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"insufficient seats for passengers"

Not Verified | Terminal 2. We have waited over an hour standing as a little early thinking we could eat in the departure lounge. Flying with Jet2. Opened one desk and no one directing two queues. Once through security check there are insufficient seats for passengers. Cafe full of people holding seats until their flight is due. Still standing drinking a coke and eating a wafer biscuit. Horrendous, would avoid flying through here.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"It felt dangerously overcrowded"

Unverified | This small airport has insufficient airline space to handle comfortably the current level of flights and passengers scheduled to depart on a Saturday morning - having personally experienced it on 9 September 2017. It felt dangerously overcrowded and was easily the only unpleasant couple of hours I spent during a whole week in an otherwise efficient and delightful Austria. It gives departing holidaymakers a sadly disappointing final memory of this wonderful country, and really lets Austria down.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"offers a security fast track"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Salzburg Airport is located just a few kilometres from the city centre of Salzburg and is conveniently connected to the motorways A1 and A10 as well as to the local public transportation system. Although it is only a small-sized airport, it offers a security fast track for premium cabin passengers and frequent flyers, additionaly to a business class lounge.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"limited seating"

Verified Review | My first experience of Salzburg Airport. April Fool's Day very appropriate. Many hundreds of passengers, very limited shops, one café, no restaurant. Limited seating. If this was a dog kennel the animal rights activists would have the place shut down. A real dump.
Date VisitApril 2017

"airport is grotesquely overcrowded and hugely underinvested"

This airport is grotesquely overcrowded and hugely underinvested. The number of passengers waiting in the departure area must breach any reasonable health and safety guidelines. The queues to buy any items of food and drink are massive - as are the queues to check in or go through customs. It is clearly hopelessly managed, and a cynical exercise by the Austrian authorities to save money on transport infrastructure despite the huge numbers of tourists and the enormous income they generate for Austria. There is one lesson: do not travel to Salzburg and ski somewhere else - somewhere that treats its visitors with respect, rather than contempt.
Date VisitFebruary 2017