Salt Lake City Airport

"I had to walk what seemed like a mile"

Not Verified | Horrible design. My plane was at gate A2. My son was flying out of B24. I had to walk what seemed like a mile (didn't the designers/architects visit Detroit to find out how to get people from one end of the terminal to another?) and my son had to walk about 2/3 of it, only to have to then proceed down an escalator, walk to the B terminal, then walk back to the east another 1/4 mile in order to then ride a bus to his plane. Unbelievable. The entrance is beautiful, I enjoy the aesthetics but once past the entrance/security hall, the airport looks like every other major city airport but way less efficient. The beauty is quickly forgotten when you are walking over a mile, wearing a mask, dragging suitcases. People should be fired over this.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"New airport is a complete design failure"

Not Verified | Almost everything is worse, hardly anything is better. New airport is a complete design failure. Customer experience was never a consideration. I had high hopes for the new modernized airport as I travel out of SLC several times a month. Let's start with parking. Economy lot is exactly the same except the busses are running slower. Parking garage is about the same but less convenient now. Skycap is missing. WiFi is still slow and terrible. The long walk to terminal B for absolutely no good reason at all. Prepare for a hike, bring running shoes, water etc. Just remember to enjoy the gigantic, over-sized "artwork" on the walls of the terminal. They cut budget for a tram but the costly sculptures remain. Enjoy! Entrance - worse, like everything else. Be prepared to visit all 3 floors just to catch a flight. You might arrive at street level, up to level 3 to check in then back down to level 2 for TSA and to the gates. Whoever designed the airport was definitely buddies with the escalator company. Complete with people dragging their bags and kids up and down escalators because the airport was not designed for customers. They severely overlooked the importance of the entrance and check-in process. TSA - Worse, slower. Newer does not mean faster when it comes to the TSA. New bins are terrible, slow and there's a good chance your bin comes out the other side without everything you put in it! Watching the TSA poke around the machine with their stick, trying to find lost items is kind of amusing when it's not my item. Food - Less choices. The same restaurants as before like Squatters but got rid of the cheap stuff and fast food. I enjoy the nicer restaurants but sometimes just need something quick and cheap. Not enough coffee shops, not enough anything. The new strip of designer stores are a fail, empty or nearly empty every time I've walked by. Trying to have a mini-mall instead of more food options serves nobody. Prices in the convenience stores have gone up considerably. The good, barely. Pickup area is bigger. Previously, the lanes were sandwiched between the terminal and parking garage and could never be expanded. Same design but starting out bigger and should be adequate for now. Sitting areas not near the gates are larger, more spaced out and have plenty of electrical outlets and charge ports. Airport isn't completed, apparently they will chip away for years before it's done. There's a chance things will improve but several more years of transitional airport operations due to ongoing construction has the potential to suck.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"the worst airport I’ve ever seen"

Not Verified | I have 6 million miles. 80 countries. 300 airports. This is the worst airport I’ve ever seen. Did a whole team of monkeys draw this up? It is over a mile hike from security to the entrance to terminal B. No tram. A couple of people movers. A multi billion $ catastrophe.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"Complaints about the layout are spot on"

Not Verified | Complaints about the layout are spot on. Whoever designed it is either malicious or an idiot. I thought there was going to be another terminal added, but instead they added an extra set of gates a half mile away (more?) that you have to walk after security. There’s no access to outside drop-off/pick-up the way there would be with a new terminal. I held onto a misplaced optimism that this would be rectified and I think I finally realized today that it’s not coming. What a joke.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"Not a good look for Salt Lake City"

Trip Verified | Too much walking. Layout / concept is somewhat similar to Denver, they should have just copied Denver. I think time should be minimized getting through an airport, this is more like a day trip. It's awful to see families with children / seniors struggling to get where they need to go. They need more moving walkways and they need to have the speed turned up. This is an embarrassment and total waste of money. Not a good look for Salt Lake City.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"the worst I have ever experienced"

Not Verified | I have flown to Utah twice a year or more for a very long time. This so called new layout is the worst I have ever experienced in my years of flying. I am a senior and have trouble walking long distances. This new design is the worst design I have seen. I have traveled to many different airports. SLC international airport is so far the worst airport I have ever traveled to. I cringe when I think about going back to that airport.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"a colossal fail in design"

Not Verified | The walk to terminal B is a joke. I have walked numerous airports in the USA and this surpasses them all for ridiculous design. From the time you get through TSA, you should expect a 20 minute brisk walk to arrive at a B gate. The locations where off airport Parking shuttles drop off is a good 10 minute walk to the TSA lines. Overall a colossal fail in design. They keep touting the new updated look, but who takes time to look at the updates when you spend most of your time transiting to the gate.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"the worst new airport ever"

Not Verified | This is the worst new airport ever. Who designed this catastrophe. Too far to walk anywhere. Not enough trams (none) or people movers. Should have kept the old one.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"In short, SLC is not enjoyable"

Not Verified | I thought the same thing, “Who in their right mind would have designed something like this?”. This airport was built for singles under 40, neither families nor those not trading for a marathon, I saw numerous people running to catch their flight exacerbated by the distance between gates. When we arrived it seemed like a mile walk to the car rentals. Where are the sky trams or passenger trains. Did the architect design this in a vacuum? Go visit Atlanta’s airport, or Detroit. These airports move people as opposed to having the people hike. On our return flight today we sat on the tarmac for over 2 hours as over 100 bags were missing. The baggage system broke and the pilot said it was a fiasco. I can understand a mechanical breakdown, but failure to test seems to be in keep with the other lack of attention to detail this airport exhibits. In short, SLC is not enjoyable, Maybe it can be fixed.
Date VisitJanuary 2021

"one of the worst experiences I’ve had at an airport"

Trip Verified | This is one of the worst experiences I’ve had at an airport. Allow at least an hour just to walk to your gate - it’s insane how far apart the terminals are from each other. I arrived 2 hours before my flight, waited in line for security for an hour and then had to sprint to my gate to not miss my flight. Little did I know I would be sprinting for a good 2 miles, no exaggeration. The airport layout is ridiculous especially with no transpiration to these extremely far concourses.