Salt Lake City Airport

"The luggage service at this airport is a joke"

Not Verified | The luggage service at this airport is a joke. I had hoped that it would be one of the improvements with the billions upon billions of money taxpayers paid for the airport upgrades, but if anything it has gotten worse. It has always taken a ridiculously long time to receive your baggage at the carousel once your flight has landed, but this past weekend it took an hour for the bags from my flight to even being arriving at the luggage carousel. Come on Salt Lake Airport, get your act together!
Date VisitMay 2022

"flabbergasted at the distance"

Not Verified | I was flabbergasted at the distance from arrival to the baggage claim. It is the longest walk I have ever experienced at any airport. I will rethink ever traveling by plane to SLC. Total disregard for passengers time.
Date VisitMay 2022

"Worst airport design I have ever encountered"

Trip Verified | Worst airport design I have ever encountered! What a huge waste of money to redesign this airport. The least efficient airport ever. If you have a connecting flight just plan on missing it if you don’t have over an hour. Who ever thought to make customers walk that far to gates needs to get a new job.
Date VisitApril 2022

"will rethink my travel plans from this airport"

Trip Verified | Absolute joke of an airport! Like many the walk to B gates is an absolute nightmare! Definitely get there way early, I did and still missed my flight while my place sat for at least 15! I literally missed my “window” by one minute! Very frustrated and will rethink my travel plans from this airport!
Date VisitApril 2022

"airport is so bland and generic"

Not Verified | New airport is so bland and generic without any good views of something that looks like SLC, Wasatch, or the Great Salt Lake, I could be anywhere. No art work, or views of area features, or even promotion of local businesses indicates the airport was built without anyone who may have been to UT prior. Can't walk around due to crowds, queues in walkways and there is nothing to look at anyway, so depressing. Super limited food options all boring and dull like the inside and outside of the airport. Please put up some pictures beyond the huge cartoon painted wall in the tunnel that you cant view due to crowds. I feel super sorry for any traveler who doesn't love to walk a lot.
Date VisitApril 2022

"Complete disregard for travelers/fellow Americans"

Trip Verified | Normally everything is fine with my visits. This one was particularly awful that I had to write this. Pretty much our plane lands and the tower is forcing us to wait. It’s been easily over 20 minutes. Waiting in a landed plane, and it doesn’t appear to be ending anytime soon. Pilots said the tower people said we could go to perfectly open gates and just having us wait. I can deal with minor inconveniences, but this one is absolutely ridiculous. Luckily for the airport they have a monopoly on the area and can do whatever they want apparently. Complete disregard for travelers/fellow Americans.
Date VisitApril 2022

"no regard for the actual experience of passengers"

Trip Verified | Clean, pretty, stupidly long train transit designed by idiots with no regard for the actual experience of passengers, all looks. 15-20 minutes brisk walk (arrival and departure) just to get off for what is really just a mid-sized airport. Understaffed and non-attentive TSA makes you wait long just to inspect bags.
Date VisitApril 2022

"really a terrible airport layout"

Trip Verified | Did the person who designed the layout of this airport ever actually travel? Getting from the furthest B gates to the exit takes nearly 15 minutes at full clip, can’t imagine what it would be like with an entire family in tow. Super disappointing, especially given how incredibly easy and fast the Salt Lake Airport used to be to navigate. Further, when waiting for a long time at B gates, there is no lounge there and not enough restaurants to pick up the volume from all the passengers. Going back to the other side is a daunting task due to the huge tunnel. Perhaps a clever redesign could make this work better, but as of today this is really a terrible airport layout.
Date VisitMarch 2022

"The airport is an embarrassment"

Not Verified | Failure of an airport. Incredibly sad since this airport could have been amazing. This will be all anyone will talk about if Salt Lake Wins the winter Olympics. The airport is an embarrassment. There is zero efficiency. Nothing about this airport works as it did efficiently before. The distances between A and B terminals is ridiculous and should have a train or people mover. I could go on and on but others have done a better job lamenting this failure. I actually now hope SLC does not get the Olympics in 2030 / 2034 because it will show the world what a joke the United States is, having the worst airport in the world. In the future I will drive from Los Angeles rather than face this horrible airport again.
Date VisitMarch 2022

"incredibly and unexpectedly bad"

Not Verified | It's been a few years since I used SLC. I was excited to experience the new $4.1 billion SLC. However, the experience has been incredibly and unexpectedly bad! First of all, humbly, jugging by my experience, I find it hard to believe that whomever designed the new SLC has ever been in an airport before. SLC is unbelievably the worst airport I've ever experienced in my over 1.5 million miles flown! A 25 minute power walk between security and the gates, really? The tunnel between A and B gates is too narrow for the passenger volume and out of the 3 escalators, 2 are for arriving passengers and 1 is for departing passengers. Here is a tip: It should be the other way around, departing passengers are more likely to have time constraints (such as getting to their gate so they don't miss their flight) than arriving ones. Then coming back it took SLC 1h 9 minutes to deliver my bags beating Madrid's 35 minutes and Paris CDG's little over 30 minutes. There are no seats by the baggage claim area, so plan to be standing for an hour while the bags travel from the gate to the baggage claim. -Finding your way out of the airport is challenging, especially if you're being picked up by a friend or family. I would say that the overall airport signage is the opposite of intuitive (just like in most European airports), but that's a far lesser issue given the other problems. At baggage claim I spoke with the airline staff, they were very nice and apologetic, but clearly frustrated with the airport design and management. They told me it's been like this since they've opened the new SLC in late 2020. Not sure if the SLC leadership reads these reviews or if they're even capable of realizing that maybe it's time to resign? Honestly, I've been in very poor countries and they have far better designed and run airports, costing far less than the $4.1 billion. Hope it gets better next time I use SLC, for now I'm going to avoid it as much as possible.