Salt Lake City Airport

"Everything takes too much time"

Trip Verified | For a brand new $2B airport, not impressed. Everything takes too much time, rude staffing, equipment broken, few signs that some can read or understand, pick up and drop off third rate, bus fumes in pickup area will choke you.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"This is a brutal experience"

Trip Verified | Very poor if you are elderly or handicapped. From drop off, near the rental cars, to the F and G gates it is a long, long hike, with little help from people movers. I have a walking problem, as does my wife and it took us nearly an hour to walk from the drop off area, through baggage claim, into security, through security, into the main concourse terminal, turn right at Starbucks. Then a long, long walk back to the farthest end of the old Terminal 1 to the F and G gates. There are few people movers along the way. I didn't see one golf cart to assist the elderly or handicapped. This is a brutal experience. We where exhausted and hurting, once we got to our gate, not a good start to our trip to So. Calif. I have over 550,000 miles on Delta, most of which originating from SLC. I was so looking forward the new terminal, but for me..bring back the old one.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"very poor customer service for the airport staff"

Trip Verified | If you can avoid Salt Lake City airport do so at all costs, it is the worst! Unfortunately I have to deal with this every other week for work, back & forth from Dallas. Again, if you are able to avoid Salt Lake City airport do so at all costs! It is horrible even with the new construction and they do not make any accommodations unless they can physically see your disability! I have spinal stenosis and you have to walk a marathon to get to your connecting flight here, I have actually asked airport staff for assistance getting from one side of the airport to the other, and since my disability is not visible they refused on both dates, it is very painful when one whole side of your body goes numb & very poor customer service for the airport staff to refuse help when there are empty wheelchairs throughout the airport!
Date VisitOctober 2020

"I will make every effort not to come to this airport"

Trip Verified | The new remodel makes this one of the worst airports in America. My times to get from the gate to a rental car have tripled. I used to be able to return a car and be at my gate in 15 min. My first trip after the new opening took 1hr and 18 min of confusion and exhaustion. Anyone who can make it from the rental car facility to gate G in one trip deserves a medal. I have to rest at 2 locations to make it. They have some people movers but so far at least 50% are always broken. They also don't have enough restrooms so if you come off a plane and have been holding it for 2-1/2 hrs plan on holding it a lot longer. Signage is poor. The main terminal is on multiple levels and confusing. The luggage machines at security take time and separate your bags making grabbing them less efficient. The whole airport sucks and they need golf carts for people who can't make the required hike to their terminals. I have been traveling for work for 14 years, I've been in all US airports and usually fly around 300 flights a year. I have no issues getting around any of them. Chicago Dallas, Atlanta all work well. Congrats to SLC for screwing up a decent airport. For future, I will make every effort not to come to this airport.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"undergoing an impressive remodelling and modernization"

Trip Verified | SLC airport is undergoing an impressive remodelling and modernization as we speak, which is appropriate considering that the SLC region and Utah is one of the best regions in the USA in terms of actually maintaining and improving physical infrastructure. The regional and state governments there seem to understand that that not only improves the quality of life for the residents, but it also provides a wonderful aspect for people who are tourists or doing business in the area. That said, here are the airport's strong suits: 1) Signage to wherever you need to go, whether in the terminal, at check-in, or driving into or away from the airport, is usually ample and straightforward. 2) The airport is generally clean, with the major exception of a few gates in an older terminal whose remodel still isn't yet complete (in that case, that particular area I saw was actually pretty dirty). 3) Renting a car, returning a rental car, or taking light rail from and to the airport are all pretty easy (at least Enterprise Rent-A-Car was easy). 4) I don't remember ever meeting even a grumpy or gruff person working at this airport, even TSA, in my experience, were all business with their security monitoring, but courteous and efficient. If you have TSA Pre-Check, that always helps. 5) The exterior of the new terminal under construction as part of the remodeling process conveys SLC's ambition to be an even more modern, more ambitious, and more traveler-friendly metropolis. 6) I still find it hilariously ironic that there are direct flights between SLC and Amsterdam, considering the stereotypes of those regions. Now, for a real con, the present construction work has resulted in some lane changes driving around the airport that require the driver to pay close attention, or else miss their exit or turn or just crash into some concrete barrier. I'm not from SLC, but I love coming to the area by flying into this airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"have been very impressed with the TSA staff"

Not Verified | I’ve flown from the Salt Lake airport several times this year and have been very impressed with the TSA staff, especially over the rush of Thanksgiving and Christmas travel. They were respectful, friendly, efficient, and quick. The only annoying incident was in August when the man checking my ID had me take off my glasses. No one’s ever had me to that. Overall, I highly recommend the airport and staff!
Date VisitDecember 2019

"need to consider a different approach"

Trip Verified | As I waited in line with everyone else for TSA (pre-check) I had two airport employees step directly in front of me as I was next in line pending TSA review. It was rude behavior and made everyone waiting angry. This process should not be allowed (or if it is allowed the airport should post a sign explaining the exception). I understand employees are “going to work” but when the rest of the world drives to work each morning do they pass other drivers on the emergency lane because they have a scheduled shift? The message airport patrons take away is that airport employees time is more valuable than the airport travelers (who by the way have a plane to catch). Many travelers find themselves in a hurry or experience higher than normal stress levels when traveling and having someone cut right in front of you because they didn’t plan accordingly annoys everyone. Salt Lake City (and other airports) really need to consider a different approach or risk escalated traveler irritation. Why make a stressful experience more stressful.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Lots of seating around"

Trip Verified | Totally impressed by the cheerful disposition and friendliness of all the staff at the airport. Noticing the empty water bottle in my back pag, the TSA agent, on her own, told me where to find a water fountain. The clerk at the enquiry counter suggested I call the hotel to let them know I had arrived instead of waiting for their shuttle to come on their own schedule - a very useful tip! Young staff greeted passengers and offered assistance. Signage throughout the airport was clear. Lots of seating around. Many shops and eateries. Bathrooms clean. Car rental garage adjacent to the terminal - a huge convenience obviating the need to take a shuttle to and fro from the lot. Finally, the setting of the terminal, surrounded by mountains which were snow covered was just memorably breath taking. Lot of construction taking place outside the terminal - hence one needs to pay attention to lanes and road directions when driving in or out. It was a pleasure using this airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"wasn’t willing to help at all"

Not Verified | My roommate and I just got off our flight, she had to wait for her bag and I went ahead to make sure our next flight didn’t leave without us (on the other side of the airport) so I got to the bottom of the gate (this gate had metal bars/runway when heading away from it) and I just wanted to tell her that I’ll hold the plane to make sure she got it (our cell phones weren’t sending texts at this time). The attendant at the gate, as I got into talking space with my roommate yelled at me saying that I can’t go up there because they don’t know if I was on that flight. That I just got off of 10 seconds ago. Clearly trying to tell my roommate the game plan. She was very rude and wasn’t willing to help at all. I will make sure I avoid this airport at all costs in the future. I work in retail and am an Assisant Store Manager of a large world wide retailer and if someone was “breaking the rule” I would kindly tell them and ask how I could help/support to make sure their taken care of. Follow the rules, make the customer happy, keep everyone safe. Ridiculous and rude. Uncalled for. There was better ways to handle the situation.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Horrible with lost items"

Not Verified | Horrible with lost items. I reported my Driver's License lost immediate after exiting the airport and described it's exact location, and it was never found. It took three days to get ahold of a live person as they redirect you to their website every time you call. I'm shocked that they were unable to locate such an important item when they had its exact location immediately after the flight.
Date VisitJuly 2018