Salt Lake City Airport

"it was a miserable experience"

Trip Verified | My wife (who is on oxygen) and I had to leave from and returned to gates at the very end of the main concourse - of the very, very, very long main concourse. There are moving walkways - 4, to be exact - that are very, very far apart, and there is nowhere for a handicapped person to sit and rest between those walkways. Everything is very clean and sanitized - with nowhere to rest. There are no kiosks in the concourse with airport maps showing what stores are available within that long concourse, either, so if you're looking for something, you have to physically re-walk that long, long concourse. On one of those walkways, I spied a food place with a few blocked-off tables, but nothing like at PDX or SeaTac or O'Hare. There are very few places to eat, anyway - so maybe that is why they don't bother with kiosks. Once out of the concourse and past the security doors, there are multiple "island" features where one can sit and get a breath, which is a good thing, because it is another long, long walk to get to baggage claims - which is another long problem. There are two sets of carousels - one to the left of the security exit, and one to the right. Neither is clearly marked overhead, but one is for Delta, the other for all other carriers. The video screens to tell you where your luggage will be are both a long way from where you first see them - so you have to walk hundreds of feet - only to find out you should have gone the other way. Then, I had to pass four empty, unused carousels to get to my luggage. So then, I could finally leave the terminal and go out to my waiting daughter. Except: When you leave the terminal, you are in the area for shuttles. You walk to one of two crosswalks, and get to the area for Uber and Lyft vehicles. Then you find that there is a concrete wall between you and the place passenger cars can pick you up, so you get to go back across the shuttle area, back in the terminal, up to the second floor, across those lanes and back down to the ground to get out where you can be picked up. All in all, it was a miserable experience. I have been in hundreds of airports around the world. I have never had such a miserable experience. Even getting kicked out of Elmas on Cagliari when it closed and my ride hadn't come was not as bad as this. Just one more proof that "new and improved" is a lie. It is a false lie!
Date VisitDecember 2020

"The airport is made for solo travelers"

Trip Verified | After checking-in, in order to get to the TSA checkpoint, you must go down one level, which is uncommon for US airports. From what I saw, there is only one checkpoint for the entire airport, which could cause long lines during the busy time. We were departing in the late evening, and the line seemed to be about 10-15 minutes long, while the TSA-Pre and priority lanes were completely empty. The security equipment was brand new, and the process went smoothly until I was selected for an additional security check due to my arm brace. The agent was quite rude and forcefully patted down the brace and caused pain after collecting three substance samples and two hand metal detector tests. Additionally, the same agent flipped everything out of one of our suitcases to confiscate a bottle of lotion that was 5 millilitres over the limit and has passed through multiple airports before. Past security, there were a few restaurants like Shake Shack and only one lounge, the Delta SkyClub. Most stores are still under construction. The A gates, which are used by Delta are located within a few minutes of walking distance. However, all other airlines depart from the B gates, which require all passengers to once again go one level lower and walk for quite a large amount of time. The B gates do have restaurants, however, the best options are closer to the entrance of the airport at the A gates. The wifi worked well and all seats were equipped with a power outlet. The airport is made for solo travelers, the layout and long walking distances are not designed for families and people who may need assistance. If you plan on flying with a large group or require mobility help, flying Delta is best as their gates are closest.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"definitely not customer friendly"

Trip Verified | I have used this airport for many years to travel on business in the western USA. After my recent experience at the "new" airport, I will be looking for a new western USA base. Simply put, I honestly cannot think of anything positive to say about this new airport. The new parking garage is a mess. The signage is quite poor. I wanted to park my rental car in the short term area as I have always done. But when I pulled up the ramp, there were two ways I could go: the left-hand ramp went up, so I took the right-hand entrance. The garage is very poorly designed. The entrances to the garage are VERY narrow, and you have to enter on a right-angle, which made things very tricky. Fortunately I had a very small car, but it was a tight squeeze even so. Once I got into Level Two, I saw a sign stating that overnight parking was not permitted. I drove around for a least 5 minutes, trying to find either someone to help me or the way up to Level Three. There WAS a booth that said "Information" but no one was around. So I drove around for another 5 minutes, trying to find the exit. There are signs pointing to "exit" but in fact many of them just lead right back into the same level! When I finally DID find the exit, it was unmarked, off to the side in an odd location, and not only did it require a 90-degree turn, but there was a long concrete barrier about six inches high alongside the exit. I couldn't pull into it, so I had to go all the way around and then swing wide. As it was, it was a VERY tight lane, as was the entrance to the down ramp. When I finally got to the exit, I asked the lady at the ticket booth where I could park overnight. She told me to go left, up to Level Three, and that she would immediately call her supervisor, who would meet me at the entrance, to help me. Needless to say, no one up there on Level 3 either. When I got down to the check-in area, it was absolute chaos. Long lines to get a baggage tag, even longer lines to drop the bag off: and the counters were fully staffed. The chaos was not the fault of the airline, but rather the poor airport design. Very poorly laid-out and definitely not customer friendly. I asked the lady at check-in how I was to get to my gate. She said, "you're at B20" and that's a bit of a walk: 1.2 miles, actually." As it turned out it was even further than that! Another airport employee told me later that they were going to build an underground train to connect Terminals A and B, but had no idea if/when that would actually be completed. Several of the rolling walkways were also not functioning. I felt sorry for the older people that I saw that were clearly struggling with that hike. The signage throughout the airport is poor. For example, to get to Terminal B from Terminal A, you have to walk halfway down Terminal A, then take the stairs (or escalators, if they're working) down to the tunnel that leads to B. One would think that this would be frequently signposted but in fact it is not. I wandered around for quite a while before I stumbled upon it. Returning to SLC was more of the same. There are a few signs for "Baggage Claim" and then they suddenly disappear. Again, a fair bit of wandering and I finally found: right at the entrance to Terminal A! Not secure at all. For those of you that travel internationally, let me describe SLC: it makes Frankfurt or Paris Charles de Gaulle seem organized and friendly. By the way beer and coffee are basically your only food options..
Date VisitDecember 2020

"layout was not planned well"

Not Verified | This is a horrible airport, the layout was not planned well. Be prepared to walk, add 30-40 tp get to your connecting gate, escalators down everywhere. I will definitely try and avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"the worst airport I travel to"

Trip Verified | SLC used to be an easy in and out airport. Now it’s the worst airport I travel to. You have to walk for ever to get to the B gates, sorry if you’re older or out of shape. Smaller planes require a long walk outside to a bus, which then inefficiently transports you to your plane on the tarmac. What was once a travel friendly airport has become a inefficient cluster of an airport. I feel sorry for anyone who arrives at b gate and has to get a quick connection in the a gates...good luck. The rental car facility is much better though.
Date VisitDecember 2020

"had to walk and walk and walk"

Trip Verified | I am a 62 year old typical woman, not fit, not unfit. Arrived in SLC airport to visit family on November 18 and left November 29, 2020. I was shocked at the poor design when I arrived and had to walk and walk and walk. As a college professor from New England, I decided to collect annotated data on the trip back. Yes, the art is lovely but if your mood is impaired by the physical requirements to manage your experience, who cares? I was traveling alone with 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons. I had a rental car. The moment I returned the rental and took my first step towards the terminal, I started my stop watch on my phone. Me and 4 pieces of luggage headed for the first elevator. Up to rental but unfortunately, my airline did not have a check in person at the rental area, nice idea but no help here. Over to the main terminal. Check in, a total of 5 elevators and 44 minutes of walking (there were no lines due to COVID travel so waiting did not change my time). Finally get to the gate to hear a disembarking flight attendant say to the pilot, "are you ready for a long walk?" The pilot says, this is my first time here. I think to myself, "this is my last time here." And I mean it, the family will have to visit later at one of our family reunions, I am not going back the the SLC airport ever again. Who in their right mind designed this building? My only last thought is to keep the poor employees who must push a wheelchair in this environment in your thoughts.
Date VisitNovember 2020

"SLC Airport planning boo boo"

Trip Verified | SLC Airport planning boo boo. So many complaints about unreasonable distances to walk have dominated reviews. The airport has now put up distances and times on the internet in their review. They did not count the distance from drop off or pickup. They posted outrageous times that could only be achieved by young athletes. Massive lack of regard for the less abled and elderly travelers. A word to the SLC mayor, stop your political cover up and address the problem.

"I'm appalled"

Not Verified | Just road tested the new Salt Lake City airport and I'm appalled. Flew American and had to walk miles, and change levels repeatedly. It's the worst organized airport I've ever seen. There are almost no moving sidewalks, and the few there are are either broken or move so slow they're infuriating. I saw NO other people moving options like indoor shuttles. There are no shuttles between terminals. The signs are too infrequent to help, and almost invisible, and totally confusing. I made numerous wrong turns as a result and walked even further, then had to back track. Furthermore the sign for long term parking shuttle directs people out the wrong door, farthest from the shuttle. I don't understand how a new airport can be this bad and do virtually everything wrong. I don't see how people with mobility problems can get around that mess. Horrible ordeal using that airport. Disgraceful. Whoever designed this garbage should be ashamed, and jobless.

"What a horrible layout"

Not Verified | What a horrible layout, all you do is endless walking, nothing is centralized. Car rental clear at far end, you should take note of Tampa International Airport.
Date VisitNovember 2020

"This new airport is an embarrassment!"

Trip Verified | This new airport is an embarrassment! If you’re traveling on any airline other than Delta (which I never will fly again) bring a sturdy pair of hiking boots, your walking stick and a snack to eat along the way. I’m only slightly exaggerating here. It’s almost exactly a mile walk from the airlines ticket counters to the B gates. I felt bad while following someone with a severe limp trying to make the trek. It’s seems obvious that the airport is trying to disservice customers into flying on Delta. I wonder how much Delta paid the city to make sure everyone who flies any other airline will have to walk forever! I enjoy walking when I’m in a national park, but in an airport when trying to make a flight? No good! You failed big time! Denver airport is far and above, even with the broken moving sidewalks and escalators. The long walk actually distracted from the newness of the airport which will get old really fast.