Salt Lake City Airport

"The distances are absolutely insane"

Trip Verified | Overall SLC is a nice-looking airport. Very clean and bright and doesn't look outdated. Even the chairs outside the gates were a sleek design that all had functioning outlets (that we found.) The restrooms were the cleanest I've ever seen in any airport. Brightly lit, not a spot of graffiti or wear on their nice, tall, stall walls, all the chrome nicely polished, and all the soap/paper towel/faucet sensors worked flawlessly. It would probably be my favorite airport I've ever visited. Except...The distances are absolutely insane. I've read other reviews that spoke about the distances from the parking lot to rental cars/airport and I can't attest to any of those. I've never been to SLC airport besides for a transfer. But I can definitely tell you the distance from A to B concourse is long. I have mobility issues and fortunately for me, they had a wheelchair provided for me and to hold my luggage. But not so great for my companion who was walking alongside us carrying her own backpack and rolling bag. I even said to her when we finally got to our gate (at the very end of the concourse) "Did that seem like a really long ride to you?" She confirmed what I had suspected (completely out of breath) "That was absolutely ridiculous. I was starting to lose you guys." The sign as you enter the main hall connecting them even says right on it "7 minute walk." And that's assuming you are in relatively good shape with no physical limitations not to mention not accounting from where you came from in the previous concourse and where you have to go in the next. In our case, they both happened to be at completely opposite ends because of course they did. I would not be surprised it if was a mile of walking and possibly even more. My companion definitely got her steps in that day. It really is a nice airport overall, but God help you if you have a really tight connection.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"You will sweat walking to your gate"

Not Verified | Terrible T shape design means about a mile walk from rental car to B gates. No tram option. It’s as if the new “improvements” were architected by someone that’s never travelled or even studied other airports. You will sweat walking to your gate. I don’t know how mobility impaired can travel in and out of this airport.

"Worst airport ever"

Not Verified | After trekking a half mile from rental car drop off to security check, we have to walk another 850 meters to our gate. My traveling companion is wearing a boot for tendonitis and there is a half an hour wait for a wheelchair. Worst airport ever.

"Worst airport ever!"

Not Verified | Worst airport ever! Landed in gate B and had to walk almost 1 mile to get to Gate A then another half mile to get to the gate. This is the worst constructed airport in United States! They put some moving walkways, but they did not put any shuttles between terminals or within terminals!! This airport is a heart attack waiting to happen!
Date VisitOctober 2021

"design and layout, is outrageously cumbersome and inconvenient"

Not Verified | Although frequent flyers in/out Salt Lake City we have been m/I/a for 3+ years due to Covid-19. The extreme distinction from the former user friendly airport to the worst airport design I’ve experienced in the U.S. cannot be overstated. Although we never experienced overcrowding or significant delays (3-4 times yearly) in the past, I will give them the benefit of the doubt regarding the need for expansion. The design and layout, is outrageously cumbersome and inconvenient, the designers obviously put the traveler at the bottom of the list regarding ease of use. It will be easier to drive from Seattle and Phoenix in the future.

"Horribly planned out"

Trip Verified | Horribly planned out. You have to walk forever to get anywhere and I mean walk. My seventy year old mother really struggled getting from the end of B terminal all the way to passenger pick up, and she’s in good shape for her age. Just ridiculous.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"consider installing a train or shuttles"

Trip Verified | The new airport is beautiful, spacious, clean, and all staff is friendly, but the distance you have to walk from Terminal B to Baggage Claim has got to be more than a mile! When you are walking and pulling a suitcase it’s exhausting. I can’t image what elderly people must think. Please consider installing a train or shuttles!
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"The airport is a joke!"

Not Verified | First, the positives: it’s nice and new, clean and spacious. The employees pushing our wheelchairs were very nice, pleasant, and strong as one person pushed two of us at once! Kudos to them! But those are the only things I can think of. The negatives: way too big and impossible for anyone in their 70s or 80s to walk! I don’t know who planned this airport without any type of tram system to get one to their gate. It is literally a mile or more walk! Baggage claim is nowhere near the gates. Not enough places to get food. We have family in Utah, but this may be our last flight there. The airport is a joke!
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"this is the worst airport I can think of"

Trip Verified | Wow. Where to start. I have over 4 million lifetime miles. I’ve traveled to 40 countries. Aside from perhaps the Berlin airport, this is the worst airport I can think of. For starters, the signage is a complete wreck. Departure gate info is so hard to see from the car rental return that I missed it not once, but twice, wandering around. Next, they have about 25 state-of-the-art check-in lines which are usually at half capacity or less. But the real kicker is that the TSA precheck line is at the very end of the line and is the old “push your bags along the steel table” throwback from 20 years ago. If that isn’t bad enough, they allow anyone (precheck or not) through this line. So the precheck line is always the longest, because there is only one, it isn’t automated, and you always have 5 people ahead of you stripping off all their clothes because they got in the wrong line and the airport is too cowardly to redirect them to one of the 12 open lanes they should be in! Complete lack of supervisory control. Then, when you get to the terminal, there is seriously almost no places to eat or shop. I don’t know how to explain it. All that space and it’s just so poorly managed. Also it’s sterile. No character (unless you want to count a few hastily drawn murals in the basement). Ok. So I haven't even gotten to the worst of it. Here we go. The walk to B gate is unbearable. 20-25 minutes and I am not joking. And most of it is in the basement. Not a pleasant walk. But then when you get to your terminal and it’s time to board, they literally ignore all priority seating benefits and let everyone rush the podium at the same time. Then they lead you down a very long ramp to the tarmac. Then you are headed into a little tin shed that is not even weatherized. If it rains you get wet. If it snows, there is snow everywhere. Then you have to board a bus (I’m not kidding) and wait there while they cram you in. Then you drive alongside the runway for quite a distance. A plane was taking off next to us and we were literally choking on Exhaust fumes. Then finally we get to our plane and basically free-for-all boarding. This airport is a $4 billion tragedy.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"the mask mandate is not being enforced"

Not Verified | Airport is fine and all but the mask mandate is not being enforced. So many people are sitting around, talking on the phone, sneezing and talking on the phone without their masks on.
Date VisitAugust 2021