Rome Fiumicino Airport

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

My experience of this airport is that it is a disaster. The arrivals hall is overcrowded. I needed to use the bathroom and the first three I found were closed. The fourth was open but had some cubicles closed. I had to wait an hour and half to get my luggage. The times given on the TV screens are optimistic. They indicate when a service may start but they must have people carry each bag individually across the tarmac. I took the airport express into Rome. They only run every half hour. The train I took arrived and people in the first two carriages could not get out because the doors were stuck. It also meant I and other could not get in except through the third carriage. I left Rome with SAS. Check-in fine but we left an hour late because the people to re-fuel the plane could not be found. On arrival in Copenhagen I had to wait another hour for my case only to discover that it was still in Rome. Other passengers experienced this to. One man received his luggage while his girlfriend's disappeared. Apparently the Italian Govt won't pay for a laser and bar-code system to track luggage. It can sometime take 2 or 3 days to find bags. I got mine back when I was leaving the following day.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Using FCO for the first time to depart to Istanbul. Reaching the airport is very expensive by Taxi but possible by train from some stations in the city and it takes about 50 minutes. Do not use Termini to reach FCO by train as it is very crowded and Rome metro is not reliable to arraive at termini on time. I found FCO very crowded and not so clean. Check in desk was promised to be in section C but it was in section B. The restaurant was not clean and food quality was poor. Not so many shops available. Immigration was very slow and we had to walk a long distance and use a magnetic train to reach the departure area. In general it should be much better than it is as a big airport for a very attractive city to tourists.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

I found Fiumicino to be a disastrously planned airport. I arrived from Milano Linate with Alitalia and departed to Split with Croatia Airlines. This requires moving terminal from the domestic/schengen to the satellite Terminal. The signs were almost non existant frequently covered by other signs. The layout is not clear and a confusing mess. It is a lot better than Malpensa in terms of shopping and general feel but all in all one of the worst major airports I've seen. The satellite terminal is much better than the rest. Its quite dirty the public bathrooms really need an update in parts of the airport.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Flown to Italy twice now both times through Fiumicino. Both times I took Delta/Alitalia which were using the same satellite concourse connected by monorail. That satellite concourse is nice with good shops for last minute spending. If you forgot to get a present for someone lots to buy there. Customs is a pain so expect a long wait there unless EU citizen. Got off of the airplane there and had to use the restroom which was difficult to find and not pretty. One good thing was the ease of getting my bags and then getting on the express train to Termini. The escalator to the train is just steps from the funky baggage claim. I like this airport because of the ease of access to Rome. I went to Rome both times in May/June and it wasn't too busy always room on the train and good space for bags. The walk from the train arrival platform at Termini in downtown Rome is a long walk from the main part of the train station--grab a cart if you've got heavy bags. I had an early departure from Fiumicino to Newark on Alitalia my second trip. i thought I'd arrive early to be safe and also do some shopping at the concourse shops. It was a bad idea to arrive too early for my early flight because the security does not operate at that time. I ended up waiting in line for an hour until they arrived. When they did arrive they were laughing and just waived us through with minimal screening. Very disconcerting considering they went all out with the armed soldiers in the terminal. The Delta/Alitalia check-in is on the far left side of the terminal right next to the security point which is up against the wall. El-Al check-in is snookered between the security on the left and Delta check-in as a previous commentator noted. Pretty functional airport.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

We were departing Rome on our way to Tel Aviv with EL AL. It was a bit of a struggle to find the EL AL check in which was tucked away at the end of the terminal with barely any signage. Otherwise the security was very swift and the airport itself was fairly quiet the day before Christmas. A good selection of stores and the airport is filled with natural light which makes travelling through Fiumicino quite pleasant.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Arriving at FCO is something of a nightmare. We stood in line for half- an-hour to get through immigration then waited another 45 minutes for our bags to show up. Citizens of other EU countries apparently have it easier at least with immigration. It's almost better to fly into Milano and take a plane train or bus (or rented car) to where you're going.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Arriving at this airport as usual was a dreadful experience long queues at immigration with less than half the desks open. Toilets are hard to find with queues to use the mens' facilities! Strangely departing is a much better experience.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Using FCO was a pleasant experience with only one glitch which might not have originated locally. Transfer from C Staellite to baggage was smooth but we had a very long wait for our bags and after only one delivery of BA bags we started being drowned in Air Canada. I had to protest in poor Italian to restore the BA bags which then came in a torrent. However there had been a handling problem at LHR so all the fault might not have been at FCO. Good signposting to rail station and on time train though I would think they could do with better than 1/2 hr frequency. Word of warning to the hard of moving the train comes in at Platform 27 at Termini station and that is a good 400m from the concourse as it is a short platform. The environment at FCO was pleasant and seemed uncrowded although on the return journey Terminal C seemed a bit gloomy and looked its age. Loads of shops and conspicuous cleanliness. Security had a light handed (but not inadequate) touch. Basically the friendliest I have experienced since 9/11. This fit in with my experience on my break as the people were friendly and the city charming.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Flew out of Rome Fiumicino to New York with Alitalia. High level of security in check-in area with 2 passport checkpoints before getting to the counter. No lines anywhere and easy to find counter the terminal is a little warm but there is great shopping and once you get to the satelite terminal the temperature is comfortable. Overall very efficient terminal and almost all of the staff were attentive and helpful.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

I use FCO regularly. The "Leonardo" express train is a great way to get into Rome quickly (30 minutes) and for a reasonable price ( € 9.50 each way). I am mystified though as to why they don't offer a discounted round-trip ticket and do not operate their trains with departures on the hour/half-hour nor 24 hours a day. But considering that an equivalent taxi ride can cost € 60 and take longer it's a bargain that's hard to beat!