Rome Fiumicino Airport

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Birmingham into Fiumicino Airport. No problems luggage came through very quickly and we were away. The return journey was a disaster. After queuing for 1hr and 20 minutes to check in we were told our flight was delayed by 3 hours - these things happen and we accepted this and were directed to Gate C23 and given a voucher for refreshments. We went through security and caught the shuttle to gate C23. Refreshment bar was just closing as we arrived and we got pizza and coffee by the skin of our teeth. Just as we sat down to eat we were informed that we had to go back to gate C11. We tried to find the shuttle to return but the airport was closing (11pm) by now and we couldn't find any signs or anyone to ask our way back. Eventually an airport cleaner pointed us in the right direction and we got the shuttle back. We then had to go through security again! Finally sat down exhausted. After about another 1/2 hour an announcement told us to go to gate 36. Eventually we were piled on to the airport bus to go out to board the plane. We were kept on the bus for about 15 minutes doors kept closed and no explanation for the wait and suddenly the bus turnwed round and we were taken back to the terminal where we were kept on the bus for another 10 minutes before being allowed to get off and enter the building again. No explanation other than 'There is a problem with the Company' was given. Eventually after 4.5 hours of waiting we boarded the plane and took off back to Birmingham. What a farce and to put the icing on the cake when we all went to the Carousel to pick up our luggage we were told that no luggage had been put on the plane. Again no explanation no one at Fiumicino Airport had told us that our luggage had not been loaded. I presume that as the Airport appeared to have completely closed down at 11pm there were no baggage handlers available to load the luggage on the plane! I have to say that the staff in the airport that we did meet before it closed were very unhelpful they obviously wanted to get home.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

I flew into this airport from LHR and it was very busy. The train connecting arrivals to baggage collection was crowded as only one was working. Baggage arrival very slow. There was a large queue at passport control as their signposting is unclear as to who should be in what queue. The return journey was better we did self service check-in at the BA desk and it was then very quick through security and to the departure lounge. We used the flightplan lounge which was ok but fairly busy. Their duty free shops are not too bad and staff were helpful. Boarding the aircraft was a bit of a free for all but all in all the experience on the way home was okay.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Used FCO twice during October: both times queues for security departing Terminal B (International) were horrendous on a par with Heathrow: allow at least 30 minutes for this and remain patient when others queue-jump. If you wait until your flight shows as 'boarding' on the screens you might not make it through security on time. Check-in desks seem to open promptly 2 hours before the scheduled time of departure and not a minute before: check-in staff do not appear to be competent so allow for a long wait here. However check-in desk locations are shown in advance of them opening so if you arrive early stake your place in the line. Otherwise a crowded rather average airport: delays on arrival of baggage when arriving and few signs advising you of which terminal you need to be at to find your flight when in transit.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Used FCO three times in the last 3 months with differing experiences. If you are arriving with checked luggage expect delays for it to arrive on the carousel. However last week with roll-on bags we breezed through with lots of time to make the Leonardo Express to downtown. It appears that FCO management does have any interest in cleaning as the place is filthy and badly maintained - at any time of the day or night. Security seems to be attentive which is reassuring at least.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Flew in and out of this airport on recent vacation. Flew on United. Was very apprehensive especially after reading the comments however wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. Yes it is a bit hectic and "outdated" but on our arrival it took us approx 45 minutes to get through customs. This was after they opened up another gate for non-european flyers. After visiting Italy I can see why things run just a bit "different". They are not in a rush to do much of anything and they do not believe in lines. Merely go ahead and try and go right to the front. Not very nice but it seems the way to go. Upon departure we breezed right through since we were business class with United and had a very pleasant wait in a very nice area including some very nice shops. Maybe I'm seeing the upgrades that so many other flyers have mentioned were ongoing. Overall an acceptable airport.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

I travelled from and to FCO many times the latest of which this summer. On the side of departure the airport offers good services and fast check-in desks good transports to and from Rome nice shops bars and restaurant. Anyway it's rather dirty and not very efficient. On peak hours one can definitely find long queues for the security controls and many flights will not be in time. I hope that the future expansions will improve the situation. Arriving at FCO might be the worst airport experience ever for any traveller: I can't but second all the criticism about the baggage delivery which is extremely slow and the departure halls don't look good and welcoming at all being filthy and not clean. I'm sorry to say this because it's my "home" airport but I would like it to be better.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Arriving into FCO? Bring loads of time you are likely to spend an hour waiting for luggage. This is not a one off I do it regularly! The responsibility lies squarely with the ground handlers EAS who would urgently need a crash course on aviation handling. Same issues on outbound travel delays are more often caused by totally inept processing at departure gates than flight density. I have even seen the captain of a serious German airline go mad at this point!

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

The train connection from Rome Termini is good quick efficient and reasonably cheap (11 Euros) with a short walk from the platform to the departures area. After that easy experience what follows it is hysterically bad. Check-in in Terminal C at least is a horrendous experience due to the abysmal layout of the check in areas - I can only assume they were designed by someone who never uses airports or who has severe masochistic tendencies. For some reason the check in desks are split into "zones" - each zone occupies a square with an area of approximately 50 metres square with approximately 12 check in desks in the square 6 either side of the square - as a result of this the queues for each desk meet in the middle in a horrendous muddle of confusion. To add to this the passport/security line also runs through the middle of all of this! The result therefore is that you have something like 13 different queues in a very small area working in 3 different directions - most passengers with heavy luggage often with children running around and screaming. If like me you are trying to get to a check-in desk near the back of this area you will find that you literally have to elbow your way through a seething mass of grumpy humanity and baggage to get to it - and then trying to find the end of your own queue is another matter -in the end I had to shout out loudly for people going to my destination to identify themselves so that I could join the correct queue. Once through all this the passport/security line is reasonably fast when compared to many airports (10 mins) although I would say that the actual inspections are a little on the cursory side. Airside the airport is at least a little more spacious although the airport authorities have not deemed it necessary to fill this space with useful furniture such as adequate seating. Proceeding to the gate to board in plenty of time I was amazed to see that the gate was being used to board 3 other flights before mine - although my plane was sitting waiting on the tarmac we simply could not get to it as the gate was being used for these other flights - this tells me that this airport simply does not have adequate capacity to deal with the volume of flights going through it - and this was on a Wednesday early afternoon not exactly peak time. Put simply this airport is a disgrace and needs an overhaul if it is to continue being the primary international gateway to Italy.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

My experience of this airport is that it is a disaster. The arrivals hall is overcrowded. I needed to use the bathroom and the first three I found were closed. The fourth was open but had some cubicles closed. I had to wait an hour and half to get my luggage. The times given on the TV screens are optimistic. They indicate when a service may start but they must have people carry each bag individually across the tarmac. I took the airport express into Rome. They only run every half hour. The train I took arrived and people in the first two carriages could not get out because the doors were stuck. It also meant I and other could not get in except through the third carriage. I left Rome with SAS. Check-in fine but we left an hour late because the people to re-fuel the plane could not be found. On arrival in Copenhagen I had to wait another hour for my case only to discover that it was still in Rome. Other passengers experienced this to. One man received his luggage while his girlfriend's disappeared. Apparently the Italian Govt won't pay for a laser and bar-code system to track luggage. It can sometime take 2 or 3 days to find bags. I got mine back when I was leaving the following day.

Rome Fiumicino Airport customer review

Using FCO for the first time to depart to Istanbul. Reaching the airport is very expensive by Taxi but possible by train from some stations in the city and it takes about 50 minutes. Do not use Termini to reach FCO by train as it is very crowded and Rome metro is not reliable to arraive at termini on time. I found FCO very crowded and not so clean. Check in desk was promised to be in section C but it was in section B. The restaurant was not clean and food quality was poor. Not so many shops available. Immigration was very slow and we had to walk a long distance and use a magnetic train to reach the departure area. In general it should be much better than it is as a big airport for a very attractive city to tourists.