Rhodes Airport

"Shocked and disgusted"

Trip Verified | I don’t know where to begin with this airport experience. Arrival awful waiting underneath ripped up ceilings with two passport control. Don’t even do a job may as well just let people walk Straight through. Departure, let me tell you. I will not be returning. The worse experience of my life. I can’t go into depth about how awful it was, I would need a novel to do so. Busy, over crowded understaff, not organised. Felt like a pandemic. We were at the airport for three hours, waiting in front of their departure screens constantly checking. For it to be delayed delayed delayed just delayed no more information provided. To suddenly, final call. No gate open, or boarding. Delayed to final call. Subsequently we missed our flight, through their fault. To be told we have to buy a ticket for the lack of organisation and ability. No one was able to help, no one cared. They have three screens to display flights within this airport. We were at the one by Greek restaurant tucked behind Burger King. Apparently this happens a lot after reading this website I believe it. Shocked and disgusted.
Date VisitJune 2019

"We were in disbelief that this happened"

Not Verified | Arrived late last night (8th June 2019) to fly home from Rhodes airport. As we were one of the last flights out, the queues were ok, so I have no complaints about that. However we were absolutely shocked to witness a female member of staff refuse to allow two passengers (who were due to board the 3am flight to Manchester) through to gate 7. It was totally misleading that passengers had to go via another passport check to go to gates 7 and 8. The Manchester flight was still boarding and the bus was still boarding passengers, however this staff member told them the bus had gone? We then witnessed other Manchester passengers go in after them and board? They were told to get their bags back from security? Now this was the last flight out and the early hours so the couple would of been stranded. They had done nothing wrong. We were in disbelief that this happened. I loved Rhodes etc, but the way the airport is run and the attitude of the security staff (not the restaurant/cafe) is appalling. If things like this continue then it will have detrimental consequences to tourism. I really hope the couple managed to get home somehow the next day.
Date VisitJune 2019

"the worst airport experience"

Not Verified | I have been a regular tourist to Rhodes for the past 14 years and love visiting the country. Over the last few years the airport experience has not been good and this year was the last straw dreadful - utter chaos, complete shambles. The staff at the airport do not understand English which makes it impossible for them to respond to any questions you have. I waited an hour in the baggage queue then a further hour and 10 mins in the passport queue,totally unacceptable by any stretch of the imagination. Staff have no respect and don't care how long you have to wait. Still have a holiday booked for September however Will be looking elsewhere next year. Must be the worst airport experience I have ever had and I have travelled to many airports over the years. Won't be back.

"the worst ever airport"

Not Verified | This is the worst ever airport and will certainly damage the Rhodes tourist industry. It’s appalling the way they treat travellers. We queued,queued, queued again. In total two and a half hours of queuing before flight. Avoid this airport at all costs.
Date VisitJune 2019

"draining and exhausting experience"

Not Verified | The worse airport that I have ever had the misfortune to use. On entering a one hour plus to exit customs, but at least 2 and a quarter hour of queues to pass through baggage checks, customs an security. Absolutely draining and exhausting experience. We loved our hotel, Lindos Mare, but would never return because of the disgusting airport, shame really because Rhodes is charming.
Date VisitJune 2019

"really really really bad airport"

Not Verified | A really really really bad airport - worst for many years. Over 2 hrs to get through passport control when landing and 3 hrs home bound to check in, you even have to queue to join a queue. Tip for Rhodes airport - Your staff are friendly but you need to employ a lot more Passport Control Staff and maybe sack the rude woman working at Burger King. The airport is under going refurbishement with completion for 2020, hopefully the airport will get its act together then as the people who live on the island and work in the hotel etc were great.
Date VisitMay 2019

"No one on immigration desks"

Not Verified | Arrived at 13.30 on a Dreamliner along with another Tui aircraft. No one on immigration desks so 500+ passengers had to wait. After 10 minutes two immigration officers arrived so it took an hour to get to baggage collection. We were told the problem was the upgrading work. This was nonsense as there were around 10 passport inspection booths vacant. This issue needs urgent attention if Rhodes wishes to increase tourism. Departure a little better but huge queues to check in but smooth passage through passport control and security. Gate crowded due to building work and plane delayed 50 minutes as boarding pass personnel thought they had missed a passenger but had wrongly added an infant as an adult.
Date VisitMay 2019

"no staff and no organisation"

Trip Verified | We have travelled the world and never experienced the chaos that is Rhodes Airport. We arrived about 11pm and were greeted by the sight of a sea of hundreds of people trying to get through passport control. There were no staff and no organisation. It took over an hour to get to passport control and they had two staff on! The crowd behind us stretched to the foot of the steps of the aircraft. It is a blatant safety hazard but the planes just kept disgorging more passengers to join the crowd. We waited ages for our bags - too many planes coming in at once. Then the ‘rugby scrum’ to find out which coach transfer we were on - never again we will pay for a taxi - round the car park we went for bus 23. There were two and the drivers argued over who was having which passengers. Our promised 10 minute transfer turned in to one hour thirty. Had a fabulous week and then back to the Airport. Over 3 hours queuing for everything in appalling conditions. Lack of seats, filthy toilets and the few staff on couldn’t care less. Thank goodness our plane was delayed 45 mins or we would have missed it. The Airport was so chaotic that our plane missed its slot. I love the island but until they sort of their Airport we won’t be back.
Date VisitMay 2019

"never have I experienced such chaos"

Not Verified | As an experienced flyer never have I experienced such chaos as that at Rhodes airport. Over an hour queuing to check in our bags and then another to get through security. Pregnant and elderly given no concession. Once you get through security there is little information which resulted in another massive queue to go through passport control. 7 flights departing in 20 minutes all in the same queue which resulted the queue looping round the airport. So far I have queued an additional 40 minutes. I really loved Rhodes, but will not visit again because of the shambles of this airport. To top it all the flight was delayed an hour.

"beware of the airport"

Not Verified | Rhodes is beautiful and me and my friends had a fab holiday however the chaos at the airport on departure was appalling. I have travelled all over the world and have never in my life experienced such a catastrophe, Jet2 staff were a little more helpful to their customers, Tui staff could not have cared less, appalling, I pity anyone travelling with children or older people, utterly disgraceful in this day and age. To top it all on arrival back home one of my friends suitcases did not arrive, no one in arrivals at Newcastle to help either, it seems to me as long as travel companies get your money they don’t care maybe they need to spend less on PR and more on customer support. Loved Rhodes town, the people were so lovely but beware of the airport.
Date VisitOctober 2018