Portland Airport

"not a bad little place"

Not Verified | This is my local airport and not a bad little place. Yes, at times TSA slows things down to a crawl, but the TSA workers here seem to actually have a sense of pride and a sense of humor. I have a steel hip and this has caused numerous delays in other airports but either they know me by now or they have their collective ish together. Food offerings are decent and the Powell's Bookstore is a great place to grab a book for your flight. My only bummer is that it IS a smaller metro airport and thus fewer international nonstops.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"they enjoy menacing people"

Not Verified | Arrived at the top deck outside the ticketing counters to pick up my college-age daughter (American Airlines Flight 6088) after waiting near the airport to receive a text telling me she was approaching the exit. Airport traffic was light with several empty spaces for cars to pull up to the curb. I had been there no more than 2-3 minutes when a military-looking airport security guard suddenly started pounding on my passenger window. "Get out of here!" I rolled down the window to tell him I had waited for notice my passenger was available and he leaned all the way into my car and shouted, "If it was alright for you to be here, would I be talking to you?" I pulled my head back so fast I smacked the driver's door. He was completely out of control and shouting as if a major emergency were happening. I sincerely thought he was going to hit me or continue striking my car. I saw my daughter out of the corner of my eye and was immediately afraid for her safety. I pulled away as fast as I could so he wouldn't realize she was connected to me. I'm 62 and a small woman. Portland International Airport doesn't deserve all the high ratings. This isn't the first time I've had their airport personnel act like they enjoy menacing people. Whoever trains their security people needs to be trained themselves.

"nothing is open here"

Trip Verified | What is wrong with this place. My flight is leaving at 12.30 am and literally nothing is open here. You can get nothing here after 10pm apparently. Utter nonsense. They call themselves an "international airport"? Get real-it's a parochial bastion of complete boredom with no libations.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"international arrival system sucks"

Trip Verified | The international arrival system sucks. There are about 15 machines to verify your password and to answer customs questions which worked great, but then you get in a very slow moving queue with 2 customs officers to ask the same questions you just answered. Do the math 15 machines then down to two agents guess what happened ... we all got through the machines quickly just to get stuck in a slow moving line for the worthless additional step. Then you grab you luggage and yet another agent only one this time checks your customers and passport again. Then you get on a bus to take you to the main baggage pick up area, why can’t you just walk like the rest of the airport access. And yes there was another line for the bus. Seriously PDX you can do better ... lovely carpet only goes so far.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"TSA is horrible at this airport"

Trip Verified | TSA is horrible at this airport. I don't hear well, but I'm well versed in the procedures we are forced to go through. Staff kept screaming something at me, I had no idea what, but I knew what was expected so ignored him and was just waiting my turn to go through the screener; he actually grabbed me by the shoulder and pulled me back! I am nearly 70 years old, female, I jerked away and he pulled me back and screamed at me to empty my pockets! I do not have things in my pockets, good grief. Got to my boarding area, Southwest C12, and sat down to read and wait ... looked down and the metal bar between the seats was covered with filth. It was so thick you could run your fingers through it. So disgusting, I got up and looked for a clean seat, and they were all filthy, so I just got some exercise and walked for two hours. I cannot believe how filthy it was.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"I hate this airport"

Not Verified | 40 minutes to get through security. 25 in line and then the worst was the arrogant attitude of all TSA when my bag was pulled to be checked - it sat there for 5 minutes. 4 workers stood right there within 3 feet of it talking to each other. After 5 minutes another woman walked nearby and I went to her and said my bag has been there 5 minutes - she had an arrogant attitude as well and said with an annoyed tone - someone will get to it. I waited another 3 minutes - 2 of the 4 talking walked the other direction and 2 still talked a minute or more - I tried to get their attention but was ignored. I saw another man standing around and told him my bag had been there almost 10 minutes - same attitude - “someone will get to it”. With an attitude a minute later a still waiting - I saw a woman who I complained to and she said same thing with an attitude. Meanwhile a TSA man had gone to the next row over and started checking 2 or 3 bags that had come out way after mine - mine was only bag for a full five minutes at least. It took 15 minutes. Rude people that don't care and think they are god because they have so much power over your life and you can’t do anything about it. I hate this airport.
Date VisitMay 2019

"best airport in the US"

Not Verified | Every single time I have flown out of Portland it has been amazing. All of the staff are very nice and kind. I usually fly out of Portland on Alaska Airlines which I also think is the best U.S. carrier. It is relatively small and easy to navigate. Has enough seating for everyone on the flight. I once flew in to LAX and we had 3 hours till our next flight and there was no seating, well there was some, but only enough for about 20 passengers. So overall I think Portland International Airport is the best airport in the United States.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"is now dropping to the unfavored list"

Not Verified | One side of security check was closed, without notice at main entrance. At the D/E security check, my husband and I were told that our TSA passes on our phones 'could have been photo-shopped' so we'd need to proceed through security as usual - unpacking liquids, toiletries, digital devices, removing our shoes and jackets. This was super unusual and uncalled for. What is the point of paying for the additional service and being frequent travelers if there is no recognition of our ability to comply? Portland, once a favored airport, and our former home airport at that, is now dropping to the unfavored list - akin to San Diego - an airport that we avoid.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"so nice and helpful"

Trip Verified | I fly 3x a year through Portland Airport and the TSA agents were so nice and helpful today that I had to give them props. Thanks for a very pleasant experience! Plus, the security lines were very short. Bonus!
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Why do they need to be so rude?"

Not Verified | I have been to this airport many times. It is a very nice, clean and for the most part friendly. But the last few times the TSA has been nothing but rude!We have had one TSA employee shove my son's stuff down the lane making him almost drop his computer and then yell at him because he said "what the hell?" Yes he said hell because it surprised him and he is 22. Then the guy got all upset because he said hell and told me he cursed at him when he didn't. The guy wasn't even wearing a uniform or a badge! He was completely rude to me when I asked why he had to shove his stuff down! Even the people around us where talking about how rude he was to my son so I know it wasn't just us. Then we were just at the airport this last weekend and there was a normal size line for security and it was moving fine. We got past the licence check and this little guy was yelling at people to "Pick a line or I will pick one for you!!" Everyone was moving fine there was an older lady who was a little slow because of her age and she looked so upset by what he said. Why do they feel they need to be so rude?! There was no reason for him say that even if we were all slow!! I sure hope my next trip to PDX will be much better. It's always been a friendly airport so I am hoping that's what it will be next time.
Date VisitJanuary 2018