Phuket Airport

"Dreadful welcome to Thailand"

Not Verified | Dreadful welcome to Thailand. Three hours of queuing to get through immigration. No organisation or direction of queues, no staff to help. More desks were opened during the 3 hours but the passengers from the flight behind us jumped on them and got through before us! We were dreading coming back through the airport to get home but were amazed as it was like a different airport in departures. Proper roped lanes with staff directing, we got through in no time. If only they would put the same into place in arrivals!
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"a very stressful experience"

Not Verified | Unfortunately this is the worst and most unorganised airport we have ever been to. 4 hour wait to get through passport control. Lack of staff and not all booths were open. After a long journey it was a very stressful experience. Please employ more staff Phuket airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"a lot of tourists and this is madness"

(Estonia)

Not Verified | I wouldnt reccomend this airport (HKT Phuket Int.) because staff were horrible and couldnt handle a lot of tourists. We asked them politely to please create lines so people wouldnt skip queues and wouldnt rush in because a lot of people were missing flights. They said we dont know English so they didnt do anything. Staff were horrible and HKT needs to train their staff in the English language because there are a lot of tourists and this is madness.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"disorganisation is an embarrassment"

Not Verified | This is the third time this month (January 2018) at this airport waiting from friends from UK to clear Immigration. I have been here many times over recent years. It is now 3 hours 30 minutes since the flight I am waiting for landed and still no sign of my friends. This is how it always is with a miniumn clearance time of three hours. The disorganisation in this airport is an embarrassment. People have been travelling for many hours and then have to face standing in a disorderly queue for three more hours plus. It is not fair on already tired and stressed travellers. The Arrival/Departures form causes many of the delays. It is too complex for people and too difficult to fill in under cramped poorly lit conditions. Reviews like mine have been made many times and no improvements are made.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"efficiency is terrible"

Trip Verified | I've traveled through this airport five times in the past three weeks. You simply can't have enough time or patience to navigate this place when it's busy. The queue times are over three hours for departures. The efficiency is terrible, particularly in the passport check area. The lower departure gates at the tarmac level is one of the worst examples of airport organization I've seen anywhere. Chaotic, noisy, overcrowded, poorly designed. In thirty years of airport navigation I've never witnessed such a mess and so much stress inflicted on travellers.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"there were no signs anywhere"

Verified Review | Phuket airport is the worst airport I've ever been to. We were only there for a layover, a quick 85 minute layover, so we were trying to not miss our flight. The flight to Phuket was awful too. No one knew how to transfer, there were no signs anywhere. After immigration took 30 minutes because the line we were in had to merge with another because one of the airport staff just left their post, we asked multiple other staff members where the domestic transfers were and they kept leading us to the wrong places. As another review perfectly put it, "there's no organization and nobody cares".
Date VisitAugust 2017

"much improved experience"

Unverified | A troublefree and much improved experience. Flew into Phuket via Abu Dhabi and arrived into immigration hall with one or two people ahead of me at immigration booths. Another one was opened as I waited and I was beckoned over. Luggage took a while to come onto the belt but only because I had breezed through immigration so quickly. Departing Phuket the other evening on Etihad's evening flight I found the need to have bags checked before entering the terminal has disappeared and I arrived at check-in with no queues whatsoever. I was then escorted through to an empty immigration desk by Etihad staff but he immigration hall was pretty empty with plenty of desks open and no queues. In the lounge about 5 mins after getting out of taxi. My only gripe was that they are refurbishing the Thai Royal Orchid lounges and there is quite a lot of hammering and drilling going on but it is only a minor issue. Flight boarded quickly and left on time. After a poor start this airport has got its act together very well indeed in my experience.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"a small airport with not much walking"

Arrived on a Domestic flight into the original terminal. A pier into the terminal and down to the Baggage Reclaim with 2 belts. Out round and into the Arrivals Area you pass a fenced off area before you get outside with all the tour reps with signs. The Arrivals Area is under cover to protect from tropical rains but is exceedingly busy with cars, mini-buses and coaches in a space that was designed for a different era - a new terminal is currently being completed and phased into use (March 2017). Pretty quick delivery of the bags. Departing gets more complicated if you are flying domestically to Bangkok but on a connecting ticket out of the country - if so you can use the CIQ system at Bangkok (BKK) airport and arrive as a transit passenger having cleared customs. To do this you have to Check-in at the International Terminal at Phuket airport not the Domestic one. The new terminal is very spacious with various Check-in Islands at the front and then Passport Control followed by Security and the Departure Lounge. Departures has an array of shops and cafes to provide what you need along with various Thailand souvenir stalls. There is free Wi-Fi but you need access to your Emails to obtain the password required to access the Wi-Fi Gates look out onto the apron and are connected mainly via air bridges unless you are on a CIQ flight when gates 82-84 bus you to the rear of your aircraft in the Domestic part of the airport. Check-in was OK as was Passport Control and Security and apparently a huge improvement on the older system. Hopefully as more of the terminal is brought into use it will maintain this. It is still quite a small airport with not much walking between the different parts. It can get very busy as Phuket is a major tourist destination and the most busy airport after Bangkok in Thailand.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"met with big queues at the entrance"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | After an effortless and relaxed boarding at Don Mueang in Bangkok we found transiting through Phuket Airport on arrival a dream. But on our return flight it was a different story. We arrived at departures to be met with big queues at the entrance and security scanning all bags at the entrance. Once past this there were only 2 positions open to check in, one for no hold cargo and one for online check in and counter check in and it was moving very slowly. Eventually after about 25 minutes we got our bags dropped off as we had checked in online. Got to say at this point the staff were professional and polite but I believe there should have been a position open for online check in so you could just drop your bags. Once past the counter we had our carry ons scanned again, now I am all for security but I can not understand why they have to be scanned twice. Just before we were due to board the gate was changed and once we arrived at the updated gate all I can describe it as was a "bun fight". 2 flights crammed into 1 area and then bussed to the aircraft a world away from the relaxed boarding in Bangkok. Once on the aircraft the service was excellent as usual. With so many flights using Phuket Airport it is high time it was upgraded. I have given 3/10 this is for Phuket if scoring Don Mueang it would be 10/10 excellent.
Date VisitMarch 2017

"would not consider again until major improvements are made"

Having read other reviews I was dreading going through this airport. We arrived at 0750 on 1st February and were fortunate to be among the first passengers off the plane. On reaching the immigration hall, there were only three desks manned. We chose the desk with five people in the queue and were through in less than five minutes. At the luggage carousel our bags were third and fifth off the plane. Straight through customs into the arrivals hall and we were met by our taxi driver and were on our way to the hotel 20 minutes after landing-a very pleasant surprise. On our departure tree weeks later, we arrived at the airport at 06.15 for a 0940 departure. The taxi driver dropped us at the far end of the arrivals hall away from the crowds and we were able to get through the x-ray machine with no delays. Check in at Emirates business desk took less than two minutes and we were then told that a very pleasant lady would escort us to the Coral Business lounge. Looking at the lengthy queues we were resigned to a very long wait but this staff member walked us to the front of every queue, security, immigration etc. and we were in the Coral lounge within 10 minutes of checking in. I must confess that I felt really embarrassed by this and we did get some very murderous looks form the other passengers in the queues. I do not know if this service is specific to Emirates airlines. The immigration officers all looked bored and were obviously just going through the motions. Personally, I would not consider using this airport again until major improvements are made to the immigration/security procedures.
Date VisitJanuary 2017