Phnom Penh Airport

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

Arrived at airport by tuk tuk which is very pleasant. Only ticket holders allowed into the terminal which makes for a very relaxed environment. Check-in security and immigration straightforward. Good selection of shops inside.

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

Traveled through twice this year and found it pleasant and efficient. The airport was clean - including the bathrooms. Going through immigration was a breeze. Flying with Malaysian Airlines we did not have to pay departure tax. There was a short queue at the airline check-in counter which moved rather slowly.

(Cambodia)

PNH Airport has yet again been renovated lately in 2011 for the better. Everything is improving even airport taxes are now being included in most ticket prices for flights departing which is great especially if you forget to take extra cash with you or for visitors that wasn't informed. There are a few amenities at the airport nothing great but just enough to keep you occupied for the short while to boarding. I live in PNH from South Africa.

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

There are basically 3 options/desks in the arrivals area - one for Cambodian nationals and ASEAN. Passport holders who don't need a visa a queue for passengers who already have a visa (either online or from an Embassy) and longer queues for passengers requiring VoA. By far the best option is getting your visa online - I was through immigration in 3 mins a further few minutes waiting for the bags and I was in the Taxi 10 mins after getting off the plane - excellent.

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

Compared to the Pochentong airport of old (mid-90s) this is a gem. Arrival was efficient. Visa on arrival cost $20 with an extra $2 if you don't have a photo and was processed without delay. No problems with immigration. baggage pickup or customs - you fill out the forms and are waved through. There is a transport desk with fixed prices (taxi and tuk-tuk) in the arrivals area so you don't have to hassle or bargain outside. (Take a tuk-tuk only if you're feeling adventurous it may not be for everyone.) We were not hassled in any way or asked for money. There is a left luggage service at the airport (outside the arrivals area) very useful if you need to leave your bags somewhere for a few hours. Check-in was a bit slow and we had to remove some items from our check-in bags to bring them down to the 23 kg limit (maybe this is a Korean Airlines policy?). But the process was orderly and calm. Paying the $25 exit tax is expected and straightforward. It's unusual for the tax to not be included in the price of the ticket but this has been the practice here for many years even if it has died out elsewhere. It's a legitimate charge. The departures lounge is small (eight gates) but well laid-out and quiet with a snack bar bar bookstore and a couple duty-free shops. Prices are higher than outside but reasonable by international standards. There are also a couple bars/simple restaurants pre-check-in near the arrivals area. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by the efficiency ease-of-use and well-designed layout of this small airport but my assessment is colored by memories of how it used to be a dozen years ago. The experience may well be different for Cambodians. Some international travellers may be nonplussed by the visa-on-arrival process and payment of the exit tax but these are just local particularities not attempts to shake anyone down.

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

I did not encounter any corruption of any sort. We arranged our Visas before our trip which saved some time. Immigration staff seemed disinterested and my passport was nearly thrown back at me. The arrivals section is very basic. We were off the aircraft and out the door within around thirty minutes. It has potential to be a great airport but service needs to improve.

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

Agree with other Cambodians who's been here. When all 4 of my family and I arrived. We were asked for a few dollars by the guy who did the Visa and also another few dollars by the guy who stamped our passport. and then again by the guys in baggage claim? I want to report this corruption but who do we report it too? I'm sure anyone else who is Cambodian can relate to the corruption at this airport.

(China)

As a tourist and an American working in China I'd have to say the airport was a very unmemorable experience. I felt that I was nickle and dimed every time I turned my head. I travelled throughout the country and realized that my caucasian appearance attracted hiked prices. But the airport was simply being unfair! I was charged tax in our ticket and then had to pay US$25 just to get out of the country ($18 for locals!). When I wanted to get a snack or reading material I noticed that the airport listed imperial prices as well. A simple sandwich was five bucks and uncopied books were tagged over the original price on the back (also resulting in a price hike). For all this I would have crossed a border to fly from Saigon or Bangkok. Bottom line - avoid this airport!

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

Went through here recently on flights to/from Bangkok. Airport was clean and efficient and there were no signs that any airport staff were trying to rip us off. One tip - get an e-visa in advance and skip the queues that form at the "visa on arrival" desk.

Phnom Penh Airport customer review

For those of you lucky enough to have not been hassled by the employees at the Phnom Penh International Airport the reason for this is that you are not Cambodian. Those who they take advantage of the most are Cambodians that understand the customs in Cambodian and/or speak Cambodian. This is because they realized that people of their own culture would not report anything if say an employee asks for extra money on the side. They are also sly in that they understand that other foreigners (Americans Europeans etc) will most likely realize that something is amiss if they are being pestered at the airport because that is not how most airports are run. I am an 18 yr old Cambodian American and can speak and understand the language. Upon my arrival at the airport I expected to be hassled to a certain extent but it turned out that I was to talk my way out of any complications in Cambodian. Out of my brother and sister who I was travelling with at the time I was the only person that was asked for $20 by an employee that stamped me into the country. (However I did not give him the money as I knew what he was up to.) This is because I am the only one that can speak Cambodian out of us three. It wasn't this easy upon our departure. Checking in our bags took at least an hour. For this reason I don't understand because there happened to be 3 men and 1 female checking us in. They appeared to be hovering and taking their time because they were waiting for us to slip them each some money. After finally getting checked-in we thought that the complicated part was over. However as we were boarding 2 of the men that were checking us in appeared at the gate to let the three of us know that we couldn't take our carry-ons on board because they didn't meet the carry-on requirement of 7kgs. I thought this was ridiculous because they weighed all of our carry-ons at check-in to make sure that they weren't overweight. This was what we got for not giving them money. They thought it would be easy to pick on kids because we were flying without our parents and that we would be gullible. We didn't realize at the time what they were up to so we handed them the bags since they claimed that our carry-ons would go on the flight. However after returning to America we have not received those luggages. Isn't it a coincidence that all 3 of our carry-ons didn't make it back?