Philadelphia Airport

Philadelphia Airport customer review

From two recent experiences I am pleased to see that there has been a great improvement in the Int'l/domestic transfer in Terminal A. It has been re-organized so lines are not as long and there has clearly been a re-arrangement of the TSA attitude which makes the experience very much more pleasant.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

Flew to Orlando via Philadelphia from the UK at the beginning of July '08. We got into Philly around 1800hrs local time and went straight through Homeland Security without waiting. There are quite a few shops to browse in whilst you are waiting for your connecting flight and the pick up and transfer of our luggage was seamless - no lost bags here! I would fly through this airport again I didn't experience any unpleasant staff and all my luggage made it there and back in one piece.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

I've only been through this airport once and they were in the middle of renovating. It was very disorganized with long lines and lots of waiting. I had 4 hours between flights and I barely made the connecting flight. I came off an international flight and then waited almost an hour in line just to have my passport checked. Then it took 2 hours to pick up my baggage and recheck it. The line was incredibly long. When one man asked the personnel if he could go ahead of the others because his flight was in 15 minutes the lady told him she didn't care but he'd have to ask the other passengers. Of course that led to chaos as he tried to manuever his way through the entire line asking permission from every person. And when other people saw that they wanted to do that too. And then the other passengers started getting irritated and wouldn't let anybody in front (and rightly so). The only part that wasn't chaos was agricultural customs and that's because there were about 3 people including me in this line. I would only fly through here again if i absolutely had to. The staff was ok no one was outright rude but there were too many irritated people and not enough space and no it wasn't Christmas or any other high-traffic season.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

Sad to say after my experience on April 13 Philadelphia still merits a negative review. Came in on international - very quick immigration as no other plane being processed at the time. Had only hand baggage - PHL does a lousy job of luggage so I always try to travel without check-ins. As always security was like the descent into hell - rude lazy employees yelling at everyone and basically making the whole process much harder than it needs to be - which is about the same story as every other airport in the US. For an airport so recently modernized everything looks dirty and run-down. Clearly very badly managed and no pride on the part of the employees.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

The worst airport in the USA for losing your baggage or bags not making your connecting flight. Baggage problems are especially bad if you are connecting through a commuter / small plane out of Terminal F. I fly almost every week and Philadelphia is the only airport where I have had this problem. Last year they lost my bag at least twice once for 3-4 days. The other issue is that the Terminal F flights can experience much worse flight delays than the big planes. I've experienced 2-4 hour delays due to incoming flight delays stacking up on top of outgoing delays. This last Friday I told them to put me in a hotel overnight rather than waiting 3 hours to leave and arriving at my destination at 3am. They couldn't divert my bag but I said that was OK - my bag didn't arrive till the next morning anyway so if I had taken the late flight the previous night I would have been missing my bag anyway!

Philadelphia Airport customer review

What is it about the TSA in PHL? They are hard to deal with in most US airports but in Philly it seems their aim in life is to slow the airport experience as much as possible and enhance it with a generous dose of rudeness. All the shouting and marshalling of passengers makes it feel like animals in a slaughterhouse.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

Living in the Detroit area my business and family trips to Philadelphia are always via Northwest Airlines which practically has a monopoly in Detroit. In PHL the terminal that Northwest uses is narrow horribly crowded sorely in need of serious upgrades. Worse still the TSA area is very narrow crowded and obviously temporary consisting of painted plywood walls and serpentine cattle chute lines. Lines at this terminal's TSA almost always back up down the long corridor connecting the terminal with baggage claim and the parking garage. On my last trip (early Oct 2007) I had to wait in line 35 minutes to clear security. At this location TSA personnel like to shout directions at passengers all of which is totally unnecessary and adds to passenger stress and confusion mainly because most passengers can't hear what is being said amid the background noise. While connected to the other terminals for some reason PHL doesn't permit passengers to move around. If you arrive early and want a better selection of restaurants than the terrible ones on offer at the terminal used by Northwest PHL forces you to go through TSA twice! A major construction project is now underway and when completed in 2008 may cause me to redo my review. For now there isn't a lot to recommend.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

PHL can be a pleasant to travel through but not always. Traffic on the taxiways can lead to long delays on the ground when your waiting to depart the runway. The facilities are updated yet cramped and there are plenty of food and shopping selections. Using Atlantic City BWI or Newark may fair better in the future but for now I'm sticking with PHL.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

Philly has improved a lot. It is still the most crowded of all airports but security waiting time was improved since I flew last. What I liked most is the new Business Lounge of US Airways in Terminal 1A. Large and open nice seating and good food. If only the planes would be half as good as the lounge US Air would be a nice choice. What I like also about Philly is the nice shopping and food court in the C concourse.

Philadelphia Airport customer review

During peak times the narrow concourses and insufficient seating areas become clogged with passengers. Walking between concourses takes a while. Not all concourses are connected both airside and landside which often requires you to walk outdoors to go to another terminal. Queues for TSA grow quite long at peak times and since there isn't much room for people to wait near the checkpoints the queues snake back down the corridors toward the ticket counters. PHL has only two parallel runways which are insufficient for a major domestic hub and increasingly popular low fare destination especially when bad weather hits. Even when the weather is perfect though delays can quickly stack up.