Philadelphia Airport

"baggage claim is delayed"

Trip Verified | I travel frequently and this is the worst airport. Every time baggage claim is delayed for over 30-40 minutes. Today I'm arriving from Orlando at American airlines AA 241 and we have been waiting for over half an hour in carousel 13. I have never came to the airport here without problem in baggage claims.
Date VisitFebruary 2024

"This airport was awful"

Trip Verified | This airport was awful. I was disgusted by nearly every aspect of this facility and the staff. It was shocking. Upon arrival we were yelled at and glared at and mistreated by agents and staff. The airport was absolutely filthy and in disrepair. There were few people willing or able to answer questions or give directions but plenty of employees standing around chatting. The TSA agents were horrible beyond belief. The employees had a power high for no reason as they yelled at any and everyone. It was absolutely chaotic. Every single interaction was horrible, the entire experience at the Philadelphia airport was shameful and I was so embarrassed that this was an experience so many people will have due to people wanting to travel to Philly.
Date VisitOctober 2023

"It was shocking"

Not Verified | This airport was awful. Having just returned from travel in the UK with great airport experiences I was embarrassed by nearly every aspect of this facility and the staff. It was shocking. Upon arrival we were yelled at and glared at and mistreated by agents and staff. The airport was absolutely filthy and in disrepair. The bathroom in the international arrivals area reeked and had a thick ring of grime around the entire perimeter and on every surface. There was no toilet roll in two of the stalls and a large puddle of urine on the floor of another. The faucets were broken, soap dispensers empty, and bins overflowing. It was disgusting. There were few people willing or able to answer questions or give directions but plenty of employees standing around chatting. The TSA agents were horrible beyond belief. As I was repacking my things following the scans, one agent took my laptop computer. I said where’s my laptop and he said he thought I’d left it and had given it to an officer. I asked where and he pointed in a general direction and walked away. When I inquired with someone else, he snickered and took it back to a different line than the one I’d gone through and rescanned it so I was stuck behind a large group of other people picking up their things. He thought this was hilarious as did the rest of the crew. Meanwhile, my duty free purchases were routed down yet another line for a deeper check. When I found where my bag was, I watched as the employee pulled everything out of it, wiped it with a test strip, and then handed the strip to someone else to scan. Finally, without saying anything to me, the employee shoved my purchases in my general direction and just walked away, leaving all of my things just strewn about the table. It was absolutely chaotic and haphazard. Someone asked if there might be hidden cameras around because we would clearly, obviously be told that this was a joke and we were being set up for a comedy show. I wish! There were three people who were lovely. A security officer in arrivals, the person who took my bag for the next leg of my trip, and the American Airlines gate attendant for my connecting flight. Every single other interaction was horrible. Aside from those three exceptional individuals, the entire experience at the Philadelphia airport was shameful and I was so embarrassed that this was the first experience of the states so many people will have.
Date VisitOctober 2023

"This airport was filthy"

Trip Verified | This airport was filthy, trash, stains and spilled food/drinks all over the place. The bathrooms were repulsive. The TSA agents were unnecessarily rude - yelling at customers for absolutely no reason and treating people like cattle. We walked to like 7 different restaurants and they were all garbage - reheated premade food, incredibly loud music and uncomfortable seating. We had nearly 4 hours to kill and would have very much appreciated somewhere nicer to spend the time.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"how about basic cleaning and maintenance"

Not Verified | I went to submit a review and found the following review from September 13th that captures what I was going to write. “Is an embarrassment to travel in and out of Philadelphia airport! Coming in from American Airlines.. terminal C baggage claim at the elevator, and it smells like straight urine! It’s unacceptable that the toilets are falling apart, that there’s trash everywhere - inside and out of the airport - and it smells like urine”. As of September 20th the area near the C parking elevator still smells like urine. I guess these reviews are not read or believed. The rugs in baggage claim and leading up to the gates are dirty and smell. The parking garage elevators are filthy and always have trash in them. The bathrooms are filthy. The bathroom floors are disgusting. Pushing around dirty water with a mop does not clean the floor. The parking booths are always broken. Parking is way over priced. For many travelers to Philadelphia, the airport is their first impression. A disgrace. How can O’Hare and smaller airports do it so well? It is true the airport needs major capital improvements, but how about basic cleaning and maintenance? It is evident that the airport leadership does not walk through the airport. If they do and the condition is this deplorable, they should resign or be fired.

"Unacceptably filthy"

Not Verified |  Is an embarrassment to travel in and out of Philadelphia airport! Coming in from American Airlines.. terminal C baggage claim at the elevator, and it smells like straight urine! It’s unacceptable that the toilets are falling apart, that there’s trash everywhere - inside and out of the airport - and it smells like urine because the administrators of the airport are not taking care of their business! Unacceptably filthy!

"it is so confusing"

Trip Verified | You should offer a workshop for first time flyers at international airport because it is so confusing. For example, when approaching the airport, I had to circle around 3 times until I was able to find the correct exit or lane for parking my car for a long term stay. There was an airport worker man standing at the entrance area and he offered little assistance to me as I was struggling to understand what to do. I asked him a few times what I needed to do and he said, "push the red button" but had zero people skills and made me feel unwelcome. I then tried to figure out the elevator, which didn't seem to be working. I then had to carry all my luggage down 4 flights of stairs. I was flying American Airlines, so my goal was to find the security check in to have all my stuff checked out. I somehow ended up in the wrong area. The airport man behind the counter mumbled something to me about where to go but I honestly had no idea what to do with his directions. I ended up in the baggage claim area for arriving flights, instead of where I needed to be. At this point, I was getting stressed and feeling stupid. I went back to the same airport man and asked him again to direct me. He mumbled the same directions to me and I was off again not knowing where to go or which automatic staircase to go up or go down. I then asked someone, another flyer where I could go for American Airlines departing flights for a check in process. Finally, I felt like I was in the right area. And then the lady airport worker then tells me that I have to go up the staircase to another area for security checking of my bags. I took a break from my confusion and just stood by a table. I felt like I was being treated like a beef cow in line to be slaughtered. It was as of all the airport workers could care less about the travelers and they were all just cattle flowing through the hallways. It was a horrible feeling. And to improve the navigation of passengers, I think Philadelphia International Airport should offer an online video for people who will fly for the first time out of their airport. It would help all of us navigate it better. Once I found the proper Gate, I was able to finally sit down and gather my thoughts, my mental state and gather myself all back together again.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"worst airport I’ve ever been in"

Trip Verified | I’m embarrassed to say the worst airport I’ve ever been in has been in the country I reside in. As an airline employee, I travel very often and get a chance to experience different crews, lounges, and airports. PHL is one I would avoid if I could. Starting from the incredibly latent and disorganized TSA agents where working as slowly as possible and being as rude as possible seems to be a key qualifier for the positions, to rude customs agents, to rude American Airlines counter agents (as standby benefits flyers), my partner and I were asked to pay a fee at the gate before boarding - that was a first, and a call to corporate checked the seemingly new attendant that was working with no apology afterwards. To add to this, rude bar staff at Chilies and Pete’s in C gate terminal that would kicked my party from their seating after having purchased food from the restaurant, but not their section of the restaurant, and then again to a man next to us. I choose not to use my priority pass benefits at the “spa” relax massage due to the attitude from the massaging/receptionist working. I question the organizations that hire these individuals, to be so miserable must mean there is a lack of compensation.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"the worst major airport in the U.S"

Not Verified | This is the worst major airport in the U.S. and I've been through most of them. Cramped ugly terminals arranged in such a way that you either walk a mile (no exaggeration) or take a very inconvenient bus shuttle between terminals. Adding to this is the heavy air traffic in the Boston to Washington corridor that guarantees that any weather other than severe clear will cause a delay. Stupidly, American consolidated its previous hub in Pittsburgh into Philadelphia. Pittsburgh has a very nice, spacious airport away from the east coast traffic and weather. Anything for a buck. BTW, American's hub in Charlotte isn't much better than Philadelphia at probably the second worst airport. U.S. citizens should be ashamed to have an airline called "American" that operates in such a shoddy manner.
Date VisitJuly 2023

"pay good money to be treated like this"

Not Verified | I was coming back from London and had a connecting flight and they left me completely there after the flight was cancelled. No one even told me what to do didn't offer me any incentives or anything. I am from Virginia and I have kids that were waiting on me and I was not accommodated at all. There are homeless people sleeping in the airport and the staff is just not helpful at all. This whole airport needs to redo because this is sick!! We don't pay good money to be treated like this.
Date VisitJuly 2023