Panama Tocumen Airport

"Huge slow queues"

Not Verified | Arrival at customs - all officers playing games on their telephones. Huge slow queues. No assistance to any requests, they just stare blankly and say "Yes, coming" but then carry on playing with their mobile telephones. Elderly and diabetic requested some water and food repeatedly for one hour. Nothing ever arrived. Rude, disinterested. We will never visit Panama again and changed our arrangements and left the next day.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"never seen such miserable airport"

(Ukraine)

Not Verified | Probably worst experience. To start with immigration counters - everything extremely slow. And there was not too much people in queue. It is very scary to think how it is going when full house at home. No seats in check in area. Personnel unresponsive. No, they are responsive but do not doing promised. I had connection in Panama with 16 hours stopover, my luggage was set to final destination. Unfortunately my flight from Panama was cancelled and this “good” airport designated only one counter with two clerks to sort out people for this flight. Needless to say that all was going extremely slowly. Due to the nature of my business I had to catch another flight very soon. I’ve approached lady at the counter with simple question: do I need to receive my luggage first and after go to the next check in or luggage will follow seamlessly. Response was Yes. Knowing the nature of local clerks Asked two more times. Still Yes! Ok, then I contacted my travel agent and requested another flight ( I really could not wait till local guys will offer me substitute for my flight ). I received my ticket immediately and followed to next check in. On the next check in I am again asked whether my luggage will be forwarded to new destination and received same reply: Yes. Ok. After few more hours I am sitting in the plane and waiting for take off but suddenly assistant approached me and said that unfortunately my luggage could not be loaded to this flight so I have to leave the aircraft. I am missing another flight now. And this is not the end. Again I have to wait for immigration formalities and although I was promised that my luggage will be located soon another three hours passed away. Most funny is that airlines involved did not offered nothing as excuse. They were only pointing fingers at each other saying that this was their fault. As a result I missed important appointment, had to book hotel on my own spent 7 hours of my life for nothing in Panama airport. On a separate note: smokers beware. There is no place to smoke even outside of airport building! Ok, I understand that smoking not so good but we are as we are. And this is complete shame to put No Smoking signs all over approaches to airport and designate a policeman who chasing people. Guys we are also humans and if you would designate some special place for smokers this will not harm you in any case. Free wifi allowance is 30 mins only. You can imagine how much I’ve spent during my time in airport trying to sort out new tickets, appointments etc. As a wrap up: I never seen such miserable airport. I will always try to avoid it by any means.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"rudest security ladies ever"

Trip Verified | Why on Earth do you take empty water bottles on the security check between two airports to fly to Fort Lauderdale? TSA rules state empty bottles are ok in carry on or packed luggage. Everybody just shrugged. The rudest security ladies ever!
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Avoid it if you can"

Not Verified | No free Wi-Fi (30" free then pay). No charging stations at gate, people still sitting on floor next to outlets, and this is the new terminal. Tickets say "terminal" yet the airport signage says "sala". The signage uses a color coding system, but without explanation anywhere. Departure monitors show a limited # of flights and rotate very quickly which makes you wait and wait to see your flight. This is the new terminal! Avoid it if you can.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"What a disaster!"

Trip Verified | Arrived Panama City. Airport arrival and departure screens confusing and sweep through info fast. Hallways narrow, crowded and filled with people “meandering” along. Hard to get from one gate to the next. Food court horrible. Service slow, poor food quality and not attempt or agenda that “this is a airport and people trying to get somewhere”. At the gate, there are signs that say “group 1 or group 2”. No one minds these signs ... just mass chaos. People cut in line and board when they want to. Almost felt like a concert where people get crushed from stampede of crowd. People in the back of plane just fill up overhead luggage storage at front of airplane. We alL got on plane and then United had “shift change”. So we sat and waited over and hour to take off. The way back was more of the same. Will avoid Panama City airport next time we flew to South America. What a disaster!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"do not have any problems with this airport"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | I do not agree with most negative comments here. I am a frequent visitor to Tocumen airport, and I can tell things have improved since 2008 when I had my first visit! The airport is huge, with plenty of seats, food and shopping options! You just have to look around, yes it can be pricey but it is like that on any international airport, the extra screening is done only on passengers flying to the USA due to USA gov's demands, not Tocumen's fault. Many hotels offer free transfer, but still if you do not have a transfer you can take a 0.50 cents bus outside the arrival hall on the other side of the road. I agree on the strong air con issue, bring a sweater, some parts of this airport is freezing. I do not have any problems with this airport whatsoever.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"free internet is terrible"

Not Verified | 30 min free internet is terrible. People may need more time for even basic things. Many airports are all time free. Follow good example of other airports around the world.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"the airport is really a sad place"

Not Verified | Unpleasantness. I enjoy traveling in Panama and the country is actually very safe and interesting, but the airport is really a sad place. I'm sure there are exceptions, but the staff generally seem miserable here. Immigration lines were long on the way in and the officer didn't speak a word of English. On the way home, security found a metal fork in my bag. I don't understand why Panama won't allow forks to fly, but the security officer took my entire bag apart just to find the fork and then said "no fly" to me. After exiting security, I scanned the shops and couldn't find one decent eatery nor souvenir place. When I got to my United gate, there was a huge line of people waiting for "document check." I wasn't sure if I needed to wait on the line and nobody was available to answer questions, so I waited. When I got to the front of the line, I learned that my passport had already gotten a sticker at check-in. In order to sit at my gate, there was another security checkpoint (even though I'd already been screened). The gate area was really horrible. As other commentators have mentioned, there weren't close to enough seats available and it was a very tight space. On top of all this, the physical structure of Tocumen looks unappealing and lacks any charm. What a terrible way to leave a nice country. Panama can do better with this major hub!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"dirty, overpriced, and has very few options"

Not Verified | It’s the worst airport experience I’ve ever had. Please avoid it at all costs if you can. The staff are extremely rude, trained to treat passengers like cattle, not like human beings. Even if you haven’t left the terminal and are just taking a connecting flight, they make you go through improvised security checks right at your gate, where they disrespect you in every possible way. And this is when you are lucky enough to know what gate your flight is taking off form! There is nobody to guide you at the premises, to tell you where to go or how long to wait, and your flight won’t be posted on the screens until maybe 30 minutes before departure! Employees are disorganized, untrained, and don’t give you reasons for anything. It’s dirty, overpriced, and has very few options when it comes to food or miscellaneous shopping.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"staff here are very unorganized"

Not Verified | The staff here are very unorganized, instead of telling us to line up for a search they let everyone settle down. Next, they lie about taking ones purchasing of product/s from another airport and say "They just tell you to buy it so they can make money" and then try to deny the fact that we can take it with us. I would never recommend this airport or the staff of having good service.
Date VisitSeptember 2019