Palma de Majorca Airport

"no instruction on where to go"

Unverified | Coming through gate 22 on arrival to be greated with people waiting to get on your plane with no instruction on where to go is a little disconcerting. The sign I found out on departure runs along the route you need to take, not across it so cannot be seen. A new sign for the exit is needed at a 45 degree angle so all gates 20 to 22 arrivals get instruction where to go. After walking through the retail section the signs that you do find point you to a barred off area. Which after asking a person on disability help was told was the way to go. From there on to passport control which was regimented. Then on to baggage which once again, better signage would be a help. Once baggage was collected and out in to arrival hall was very confusing trying to find any Thomas Cook agents. On departure I found that larger signage for directions would be better for checking in. But the rest ran quite well.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"We were just ignored"

Unverified | A member of my family experienced an equipment failure just before passing through security, which was was no fault of his. We quickly summoned help but there were only 3 staff on duty, manning the passport terminals. We were met with a slow response, slight amusement and told that maintenance would arrive in 5 minutes. My family member was not communicated with at all and we were left in this situation for half an hour and wondered if we might actually miss our flight. Several times I asked for quicker assistance but was met with a shrug and a comment that it wasn't their job. By this time my family member was very stressed and my young daughter was very upset. We were just ignored. I will not ever visit this airport again and the staff should be ashamed at the way they treat people. The U.K has many problems but today I have renewed respect and admiration.
Date VisitAugust 2017

"I will be looking elsewhere from now on"

Unverified | Been travelling to Majorca twice a year for twenty years and it has always been a pleasant experience but the new delays at passport control are inexcusable and entirely man made. I will be looking elsewhere from now on. There is no excuse for using passengers as guinea pigs while they get there systems right the claim to fame of 22 million visitors a year will son be gone. How sad.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"the most unpleasant start to a trip"

Unverified | What have Palma airport done with the arrivals process? Have been travelling to Majorca for the last 25 years. Noticed in January 2017 that the airport had installed electronic passport gates, gave them a try and they were hopeless, taking 20 mins plus as Appleseed to a manual church of less than a minute. Arrived this morning to be greeted by a queue at passport control that stretched back to the arrival gate. No one of authority in sight, obviously all hiding in shame! Poor souls that were there were desperately trying to get people through but the new technology obviously doesn't work at the require speed. Spent half an hour queuing in hot sticky temperatures with air conditioning that couldn't cope with the increased number of people having to wait. If someone is trying to single handed destroy the Majorcan tourist economy they could not have found a better system. I would bet that more than half the people waiting for passport control will be booking their holiday elsewhere next year. As I mentioned I have been coming to Majorca for over 25 years, often on multiple trips each year, and this is far and away the most unpleasant start to a trip I have ever encountered, even making the passport control in the USA look like a paragon of efficiency.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"humiliating experience"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Humiliating experience at Palma de Mallorca airport security check Last weekend I attended a two-day business meeting in Illetas, Palma de Mallorca. I arrived by air on Friday morning and left on Saturday afternoon. At about 17 o’clock on Saturday, April 22nd, I was queuing at one of the middlemost security check lines at Mallorca airport to get on my 18.25 flight no D8525 to Helsinki. All my belongings had already passed to the other side of the security check and I was standing in front of the metal detector. One of the security servants, a middle-aged man, noticed my passport in my shirt pocket and denied me to go through the metal detector. He became furious and indicated that I should start queuing again back at the very beginning of the long queue of people, place my passport on the red tray, and wait till the passport would – alone – go through the security check. The security servant did not speak English but I understood very clearly that I had to undergo this humiliating process. During that time my valuables: my wallet, iPhone and keys, stood unguarded 15 meters away at the other side of the security check. Is this the normal way Spanish security personnel are advised to handle tourists and elderly people (my age 75 years)? There was no authority person by the check line to inform people what should be put to the red trays and what not. This was the worst single airport security check I ever experienced.
Date VisitApril 2017

"Service was hopeless"

Flew from Palma to Doncaster Sheffield to return from holiday. Check in with Thomson was appalling. Check in desks opened 2 hours before departure time and 2 of the 4 computers were not working. One girl was training and the check in staff did not speak with passengers but just talked among themselves. It took forever to sort out 2 couples who disputed the costs for overweight luggage. On finally getting through, we went to the Formentor VIP lounge as we had already planned it. Do not pay for this. There was little time. How it can be called VIP is amazing. It was the worst lounge I have ever used and I have used many. Hardly any food available. The few staff were in the back eating doughnuts and chatting. Service was hopeless. We had to ask if there were any sandwiches and they gave us a prepackaged pack marked basic. We decided to have a drink before boarding. My wife asked if there was any gin to make a g and t but was told they had run out. What a difference at Doncaster airport where we flew out. So efficient and the executive lounge was top class.
Date VisitMarch 2017

" we've not encountered any serious problems with queues"

Verified Review | As regular visitors to Mallorca, my wife and I find Palma airport quite congenial. Yes, it is large and the distances to walk, particularly when using low-cost carriers, can be considerable, but we are prepared for that. As pensioners we tend to travel out of high season, so we've not encountered any serious problems with queues, even at security which seems to be reasonably efficient, anyway. Signage is helpful and it seemed to us on our last transit that it has recently been upgraded, which is a good thing as the massive duty-free area after security can prove something of a maze as one tries to find the way to the departure gates. There is plenty of seating away from the commercial outlets and the availability of toilets seems quite generous. Travelling with hand luggage only and not using any of the shops or bars, we tend not to have much interaction with many of the airport staff, but those we do encounter seem quite welcoming.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"no ambulift was available"

Verified Review | The special assistance service at the airport on October 8 was absolutely ridiculous. On arrival about 2 hours before check in, we were pleased to find that there were plenty of wheelchairs and special services staff available and were escorted through to security where the problems started. It took about an hour to get my wife through to the other side from where I wheeled my wife to the departure gate. There the real chaos started when we were called to board the plane early along with other special assistance passengers. We went through the boarding gate and were then told to wait because no one from the special services had arrived to take us on to the ambulift. Eventually a young woman arrived to take us down one by one to the floor level. There we had to wait in the smell, noise and heat for nearly an hour because no ambulift was available. Please do not blame the special services staff as they did their best. Because of this our plane was delayed for takeoff for about an hour. As you can imagine all of this does not reflect well on the special services management at this airport unlike Cardiff airport were this is managed very well.
Date VisitOctober 2016

"out in less than 20 minutes"

(Russian Federation)

We arrived at Palma de Majorca and off the plane quickly - a bit of a walk to passport control but if your coming from the EU it takes about 10 seconds for checks and even if it's a visa check it's no longer than half a minute. The queue takes no longer 5-10 minutes in peak times with a lot of arrivals. The baggage reclaim is no walk and it's a big belt so no crowds. Then the baggage came a bit late but I was out in less than 20 minutes. Also the staff all speak English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Also cold water, drinks and snacks are in vending machines but very expensive. Also no seating in arrivals, only in bars. Signs were okay but outside in the parking area not great. No brochures of Palma and other cool things to do. And no tourist offices or info desks currency exchange places and more.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"the signposts were fairly clear"

This is a vast airport and was our first time here. It was clean and the signposts were fairly clear. On the return we were in the hands of the transfer company who determined the pick up time and we hit some traffic on the road leading to the airport, which was a little bit stressful. However, we still arrived 2 hours before departure and joined the huge easyJet queue. It did move fairly quickly and then we headed straight up to security. That was fine - queues not too long and efficient staff. Getting through the duty free shop was a bit like herded cattle and then the problems started. There are no announcements at all so you need to keep checking the boards. We saw our flight was boarding so we headed straight towards the gate along a huge corridor, which was one huge queue with hundreds upon hundreds of people. In the far distance we could see passport control booths. I think there were 6 booths but only 2 were manned - ridiculous. The queue hardly moved. People were upset and pushing. It was hugely stressful and the board said our gate was closing and we were still nowhere near the booths. With 2 minutes to go they finally opened more booths and there was a huge surge (they barely glanced at our passports) and we literally sprinted to the gate and made it with seconds to spare - not easy with a small child in tow. I truly thought we would miss the flight. We had no idea how much further it would be on the other side of the passport booths, but luckily our gate was close. My advice would be to leave more than 2 hours and just get through check in, security and passport control as quickly as possible. Don't bother with the big duty free shop - there are smaller ones next to the gate. I never want to go through that stress again and if flying to Palma again I think we would book Speedy Boarding to cut down on the queuing time for check in.
Date VisitJune 2016