Newark Airport

Newark Airport customer review

Have used Newark two or three times a year most recently DUB-EWR-DTW on Continental. The airport has some positives - the monorail (Air Tran) fairly fast and easy. (There’s also a inter-terminal bus through the ugly underbelly of the airport – fast but hot little seating difficult for people with even minor mobility problems.) But echoing some of the other posts arriving internationally then connecting domestically is a zoo. Passengers have to do the work of baggage handlers in taking their bags after clearing customs into a snake line to a transfer point for rechecking onto domestic connections. There are not enough airport workers nor enough space nor enough explanatory signs for this transfer; passengers are confused and herded like cattle. There’s no indication that it’s occurred to the airport authorities that international arrivals involves some people who don’t speak English. Even well intentioned airport workers – clearly not trained to deal with international passengers - end up barking orders that even English speakers have trouble hearing and understanding. One is expected (again without any clear explanatory signs) to deposit one’s bags in one of the jumbled piles of luggage. It’s such a picture of chaos that no reasonable person would think that those bags will end up checked onto the appropriate destination. Thus the crowding gets worse as passengers are understandably hesitant to separate from their bags. TSA in Newark can be unbelievably slow. First why can’t the whole transfer from an international flight to a domestic connection be in a secure area so that passengers don’t have to clear security again? In any case my TSA line literally cleared no more than about one passenger a minute; some people surely missed their flights. As one post noted the contrast with efficiently run European airports like Frankfurt make our American airports look very backwards.

Newark Airport customer review

Flying much more frequently through EWR (to LAX) than I have over the last three or four years and I've got to admit being pleased with some of the changes seen in that time. The biggest difference is with the TSA in Terminal C as the wait times now as compared to 2003 and 2004 are miniscule. President's Club could still use some updating/creature comforts but overall good experience. Biggest downer has to be the redcoat squadron that the airport employs. Clueless when it comes to directions current information etc. EWR is far superior to JFK and LGA for convenience cleanliness and the TSA security checkpoints.

Newark Airport customer review

This was our first time at this airport. Every person working there was unhappy. We didn't see one smile from anyone. Our flight was cancelled so we had to stay overnight at a hotel. The airport is poorly run the employees are very sad and look like they have no life in them and out of all the airports we have been to it was the worst designed. The airport signs are small and lead you to nowhere so they have really unhappy crabby people to not help you. We will never go there again and I advise everyone to not fly there. The screen told us the flight was on-time but it was cancelled so we didn't find out until hours later.

Newark Airport customer review

Had not flown into this airport in years. It is shameful that an airport that is connected to New York is such a mess. After dropping the rental car I waited for tram to get to the airport. You have to guess on your own whether the one to the left or one to the right will depart. And on top of that for no apparent reason you had to change the tram at terminal A to go to terminal B. Nothing tell you do so. You just have to guess seeing most of the people getting off the train. It was very confusing. The gate number for my flight was not listed even though flight was about to depart in less than an hour. Security had to be the slowest of any airport I have seen. Its not that there were lot people ahead of me - the TSA folks just looked lazy and clumsy thats all. They didn't have any incentive to expedite people faster. There was this one TSA staff that gives you this brochure which says if you pay $200 annual fee you dont have to wait in line as long. What a way to squeeze every penny out of travellers. The rest rooms were filthy - there should be no excuse for that.

Newark Airport customer review

As a New Yorker flying out of EWR frequently due to the convenient schedule of Continental Airlines I find this airport a total embarassment. I flew to Puerto Vallarta business class on Saturday January 17 in the morning. The airport officials and Continental reps were barking orders at us. Elite access for business class was totally obliterated due to many flights leaving at the same time. Passengers were pulled out of line ahead of the rest of us to barely check in the required hour before flight time. Those of us leaving later had to wait until WE were checked in by the skin of our teeth. Fortunately I had Elite Access through security. Otherwise I would have missed my flight due to a congested security area. This was Terminal C. I do not know who was responsible for this mayhem Continental Airlines airport personnel or both. I complained through channels to Continental about this. A week has passed and I have not had the courtesy of a reply of any kind even an electronic acknowledgement of my e-mailed complaint. Avoid this airport at all costs. However I live here and do not have that luxury without cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Newark Airport customer review

I have been there a few times to pick up passengers and found it utterly confusing. Even the highway signs once you get off the NJ Turnpike don't make it clear where the main terminal is located. Once you are inside the airport there are no signs indicating which airlines are at each terminal. I know there are only three terminals but this is a major problem if you don't know which one to go to. I ended up in Terminal C and found no signs indicating where to meet passengers and had to ask an employee. Also in the pre-security area there is absolutely no retail not even a place to get coffee or water.

Newark Airport customer review

Big and confusing at check in. Security- they need to get a grip. Why is this always an issue in the US. I totally favour good security done efficiently. These guys like so many others across the States just think that this hyper aggressive abrupt manner is acceptable. I am sorry for generalising but it is such a feature of US travel that they need to be aware that I now know many people that simply will not go there or even route through there. The airport apart from this is quite acceptable and pretty well connected and laid out. So good marks for the airport bad marks for their security.

Newark Airport customer review

This was by far the worst airport I have used for connecting in the US. Arriving from SLC and connecting into LHR was a nightmare. After we got out of the plane we looked around and were trying to find a transfer desk or at least some information screens which would tell us which is our gate but had no luck. There was also no single employee around which could assist us. After leaving the security area (which i deem completely unnecessary) we had finally found some screens. To our surprise the time on the screen was showing a departure time 1hr 20mins earlier than what we had on our itinerary. After 10 minutes we finally managed to find the BA check in which was basically in a basement and very difficult to find. We rushed to the gate and only realized there that the times which were displayed on the information screens are not departure times but boarding times. We were however stuck in the gate area with a very limited selection of food and shop options. Generally the airport is very poorly organized with no information screens almost no signs and rude staff. For me the first and last time I was flying through Newark

Newark Airport customer review

Arrived in terminal B at EWR at about 2PM. Three international flights landed almost simultaneously. There were about 120 people in front of me in the passport control line. However there were easily 30 counters open in the non-US-citizen section. So the wait time for me was about 20 minutes. The agents at passport control were all very friendly and welcoming. This gave the airport a 5-star welcoming experience. However I am rating at 4-stars because the Air-Train stopped working for a while and I got shoved into the train going the opposite side of where I wanted to go. As a result missed Amtrak connection. With a bunch of luggage in hand this is unpleasant but not that much to complain about.

Newark Airport customer review

Flew into Newark on Continental - arrived 1315. We had been concerned by the somewhat negative reviews here but were very impressed. Customs were very quick (queued for 5-10 mins compared to 2 hours at Miami in 2006) and pleasant. As transit passengers (going to Fort Myers) we had to pick up the bags then walk them literally round the corner to transit handling then got the monorail to Terminal C (arrived in B). Restaurants limited but had a good meal. Very impressed.