Newark Airport

Newark Airport customer review

Horrendous check-in all done yourself via a touch-screen very few staff available to help with any problems. It took us over 20 mins as it could not find our booking. Very confusing layout not signed very well rude staff weren't happy to give directions. Once through security there weren't many shops and food was all fast food or ice cream. Not a lot to do and very poor duty free shop with bare shelves no testers for perfume low stock. Alcohol very cheap but perfume was more expensive. Also duty free is collected from the shop assistants who bring it to your boarding gate which is rather strange.

Newark Airport customer review

Limited dining options confusing layout and looks tired. Connecting between terminals A and C is rough if you do not find the doorway to catch the shuttle without going out and going through security all over again. Queuing times are can vary and is very chaotic. The phone ticket scanner batteries were running low and they were asking people to go get paper tickets. Another time the TSA person wanted to know where I was going since the phone ticket scanner just provided him my name. The name is what he needed to validate with an ID. Very third world airport.

Newark Airport customer review

I travelled out of Newark to London Heathrow via Terminal B. This terminal was a real disappointment compared to the terminal used by Continental. There was just a lack of facilities a basic food court on landside with only fastfood restaurants and airside a Hudson News a food stand and a pathetic duty free shop. The latter had no testers for the fragrances which was poor given I was willing to spend $50 if I could have had a sample spray. The positives was check-in and security was a breeze.

Newark Airport customer review

Travelling through Newark on my way to Chicago was a nightmare. I have to agree with several of the previous reviews that point out how unprofessional and rude immigration control can be. I (and I'm sure many of the other reviewers) have entered more than one other country as a foreigner (as well as the US through other airports) and so will have a fair idea of what to expect from immigration control officials. I witnessed an incident of an officer being unduly rude to a fellow traveller in a similar way to an incident in a previous review so this must not be all that isolated or unusual. Waiting times for baggage and to go through other security areas could also be improved. I was not there at a particularly busy period and yet waiting times were significantly longer than one would expect from an airport of this size. Further signage and direction finding must be improved. There were several information points around the airport that would have probably been helpful if there had been anyone at them. I passed 3 or 4 on my way to my connection and not one had a staff member present. I would avoid this airport if possible in the future.

Newark Airport customer review

My comments apply only to Terminal B (non-CO international some domestic). The terminal's landside is fine but airside is pathetic in terms of amenities food and shopping. The International Arrivals facility is probably my favorite in the NYC area though -- and certainly better than Terminal C. Have generally whisked through quite quickly... last two trips through weren't during any crunch and took me no more than 10 minutes to go from gate to exit. Clean airy modern and efficient as long as there's sufficient passport and customs control staff on duty for the passenger load. Am a bit amused by all the complaints by non-US/pre-cleared reviewers about US border control taking too long and being rude -- I wonder if some of the authors have tried going through their home airport as a foreigner! It's always faster and easier re-entering your home country and you're always stuck in the longer line with the more intense and calculated ("rude?") grilling when you're entering as a foreigner!

Newark Airport customer review

This is about the worst airport I've ever used. I was travelling via it on my way to Houston and eventually Mexico. My main problem is with the immigration control. Its very slow and the staff have got to be seen to be believed in terms or rudeness and lack of friendliness. A lady in front of me walked up to staff member after the previous person cleared the desk. The guy then was very rude and talked down to her for an uncomfortably long period of time instead of just asking her not to come forward yet. Despite the long queues there was no sense or urgency to the extent I almost believe that they were going slow to enjoy the power of making you wait. He wasn't any more professional when it was my turn either. As I was making a connecting flight it would have been nice if there was good clear signage or anyone to help with directions around an airport of this size. Sadly there is not. A very poor airport in every respect that matters. My return journey from Cancun was a little better but not a lot mainly due to a longer time between connections and not a truly better airport experience!

Newark Airport customer review

Overall Terminal C is nice with plenty of room and lots of eateries/shops (especially like all of the "Diners"). However transfer to Terminal A was plain unacceptable. The staff had a care-less attitude and extremely rude. Terminal A for CO was also unacceptable. At each gate there are 3-4 flights leaving at the same time but the information screens often did not show the correct flight information. If you can stay in Terminal C you're lucky. If you have to go to Terminal A for CO be prepared!

Newark Airport customer review

The facilities themselves are not that awful. erminal C is a pretty standard modern big- terminal setup although terminal B is woefully lacking for an international airport and terminal A is just functional at best. At least they're kept pretty clean. The staff at EWR has always left something to be desired - probably the least helpful "help" staff of any airport I've traveled through. The redirection between security checkpoints is just somewhat worse than totally arbitrary --while theoretically they adjust based on what checkpoint has the shortest line by the time you get to what was the shortest line it is by then the longest line and half the staff has just gone on break. What really grates for me though is the AirTrain. AirTrain JFK is quick comfortable and efficient. AirTrain Newark is like some sort of bad joke. Even when it's fully functioning it is slow cramped overcrowded and dumps you onto NJ Transit trains that are very poorly suited for anyone carrying luggage.

Newark Airport customer review

Flew out of Newark to Houston on Continental out of Terminal C. Was as decent as a major airport can get. Took about 45 minutes to clear security. It was much faster and TSA was more polite then JFK Terminal 5. It was clean and I made it to my gate just as they started boarding which was a little tight but as it was my first time flying out of Newark and I was estimating time based on security clearance time at Los Angeles International and Burbank Airport. My one issue with the airport was that an emergency door got pushed open at some point and they just left the fire alarm going and going and going - and going. From when I got in line for security til when I cleared it was still going.

Newark Airport customer review

EWR is a travel nightmare. If you need to use the air train to get to the Alaska Airlines gates you will have to go through security twice. There is no order whatsoever to the design of this airport. I had allowed almost 2 hours to make my connection but with the long lines and only a few vague signs pointing you in the right direction I barely made my flight. The people who work at EWR deserve special mention - I have never seen such a stunning concentration of unhelpful people in one place. I don't know how this place could be improved without razing it and starting over with a more thoughtful layout.