Newark Airport

"subjected to music we do not want to hear"

Not Verified | The music is so loud and annoying. I tried to watch a movie with noise cancelling headphones on and could not hear it over the music. It also makes it difficult to hear the announcements. Not everyone likes the same music so I don't know why we have to be subjected to music we do not want to hear. I hate to fly out of here but sometimes I am forced to use this airport and I always dread it. Why does the anyone think it's a good idea to create a more chaotic environment. It seems an easy thing to fix. Lower the volume.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"lazy, entitled, abusive, rough and mean"

Trip Verified | I have never reviewed TSA or any other airport for that matter, but these people are so abusive in their perceived 'power' over the public that it is inconceivable to not give a review. The majority of the TSA staff at Newark are not just rude ... they shouldn't be assisting people in any capacity whatsoever. The initial 'greeter' was a woman that glared and yelled at every one filling up their baskets in the most hostile fashion that people seemed to be cowering. As you moved thru the line she intermittently yelled at older travelers if they moved to slow, or used the wrong kind of basket (although she didn't do anything to replenish the 'correct' ones to her bays) and generally terrorized the guests. It was actually so absurdly over the top that it was humorous at first until you passed thru the scanner and made it to the other side where the remaining 7-10 TSA employees (definitively more TSA employees than in any other airport that I've seen at any one time), loitered and talked amongst themselves and pointedly refused to assist anyone. They would not make eye contact or converse with guests who were trying to catch a flight. If you can avoid Newark airport in general (all Union restaurant and bartenders) ... and of course I had to wait to review because the wifi is so useless...you'll be happier, but that is just the icing on the cake. If you can avoid Newark TSA 'agents' .. lazy, entitled, abusive, rough and mean. I'd say you've dodged a bullet. I feel like someone should report them to their superiors .. but to have hired those people in mass makes me think whomever is in charge wouldn't care to improve.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"Avoid Newark if you can!"

Trip Verified | I'm a frequent traveler and never have been compelled to write a negative review for an airport experience until now. Lack of proper signage to tell you where you should go. Worst of all is the rude TSA staff that feel the need to hurl snarky insults to the taxpaying passengers who pay for their salaries. They live up to the stereotype of Newark, New Jersey being called the most unfriendly city in the world. First time to EWR and probably the last. Avoid Newark if you can!
Date VisitOctober 2019

"It is too small to cope"

Trip Verified | I would avoid Newark Airport as much as possible. It is too small to cope. Even many of the washrooms are only portable chemical sheds. The screening lines are long and the supervisors rude. I waited 45 minutes in one line only to be told to move to another due to my hip implant where a full body scan was required. It would have been helpful to have some signs or instruction. Even the Air Canada business class lounge was terrible. My wife and I need to stand for some time before finding a small desk to share with other disgruntle passengers.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"the most ridiculous setup I’ve ever experienced"

Trip Verified | The worst setup for getting food at an airport. Tried to get a quesadilla at Philley Cheesesteak. No signs or indications where to place your order, pay for your order, or where to sit with your food. When asked food service staff they were rude with directing me as if it should be obvious that you pay for your food across the aisle at a separate counter. I placed my order and it took 45 minute to get a quesadilla only after I called the lengthy wait to the staff’s attention. I received a text that my food was ready 1 hour after placing the order. Whoever thought of this concept for food service should be fired. I’ve never written a review for anything before. This experience was so bad. A two hour layover that should have been relaxing was replaced with the rudest food staff I’ve ever encountered and the most ridiculous setup I’ve ever experienced for getting food anywhere.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"must be the worst airport in the world"

Not Verified | I have traveled to 45 states and 20 countries and this must be the worst airport in the world. Totally inadequate and disorganized, with unfriendly, rude people everywhere. Do not do an international transfer from this airport unless you allow 3 to 4 hours. EWR is over rated with a score of 2 out of 10.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"This airport is a joke"

Not Verified | This airport is a joke! One security line for hundreds of people, unfriendly staff, free WiFi doesn’t work, departure screen never updates so had to rein on my cellular data, at a charge to get updated info because WiFi doesn’t work. Portapotties for bathrooms, no employees to ask for help and extremely dirty! Avoid this airport if you can!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Not a pleasant experience"

Not Verified | I was departing late at night. None of the water fountains in the waiting area were working forcing passengers to buy bottled water at ridiculous prices. There were only 2 food places opened and both with huge lines. The coffee machine didn't work. Not a pleasant experience waiting for your flight.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"TSA here really over extend themselves"

Trip Verified | The TSA here really over extend themselves to make you miss your flight. They wouldn't let go of my mothers insulin at security, almost breaking and ruining her cooler insulin bag and damaging her insulin and making a mess of her two carry ons. They made her stay there for 30 minutes because the staff had never seen a cooler insulin bag like that. Because of TSA ignorance she almost lost her insulin and her flight. Secondly, a United bag drop personnel was making such a big deal about me getting their paper tags that were on top of the counter for passengers to use, saying that I should have asked, so why the heck is it on top of the counter without a sign to ask for it? If we paid for the tickets including luggage we have the right for tags so tags are included and what we paid for. This staff just look like they are miserable and want to pass that on to you at your own time and expense.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"will do my best to avoid"

Trip Verified | Arriving was ridiculous. I understand there were weather problems, but even Americans were required to speak to a border agent. Had US passengers been granted entry with the machines, then waiting wouldn't have been so bad. In the end, filling the card was useless and the machines served essentially to take your picture and to tell you to report to passport control. It took one hour just to leave the airport. Signage was confusing, border agents weren't very friendly and the layout is illogical. I asked the supervisor, apparently everyone speaks to a border agent. Then why are there machines? Leaving, security was a bit slow. I will do my best to avoid this airport in the future.