Newark Airport

“This could be a good airport”

Not Verified | This could be a good airport, despite the fact it's locked in the middle of an urban area limiting its expansion and infrastructural upgrades. However the worst part is the staff: Rude! and unnecessarily so, immigration officers have a terrible attitude, I was treated like a liar. My identity had to be investigated beyond what is done at the passport control booth, and the way I was told to proceed was humiliating, everything was completed in less than two minutes and I was allowed to got home, the rudeness was a totally unnecessary extra that only eroded the expected professionalism of those officers. I hope someone will notice this problem and require them to take etiquette training. Being rude and nasty is not a synonym of efficiency.
Date VisitJuly 2024

"Customer service is so rude"

Not Verified | Customer service is so rude. I approached a rep asking if where a flight was due to arrive as it was delayed and I was given a stock answer. I tried to clarify the issue i was having and was met with hostility. The agent was dismissive. Instead I was able to get my answer online using the free wifi .. staff very unhelpful.
Date VisitJuly 2024

"Waited for hours to check in"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Fix your lane system. Waited for hours to check in. Slow service for checking baggage in. 15 minutes per person in the queue. The US and especially Newark Airport has to fix their organizing systems. Shopping was boring,

"how appreciative I am"

Not Verified | I never thought I would find myself reviewing a TSA department but I felt compelled to after my recent positive experience. My family and I were unexpectedly transiting through Newark on June 2. We had several mishaps happen beyond our control after an extended travel day (>20 hours). The TSA department at Newark airport, in particular a man named Fontaine, helped greatly alleviate our stress and help expedite us through the security line and airport, correcting the mistakes of our airline workers. I cannot begin to tell you how appreciative I am for their help, empathy and services.
Date VisitJune 2024

"TSA employees were by far the worst"

Trip Verified | Every person I encountered there was extremely rude, but the the TSA employees were by far the worst. Super rude and disrespectful yelling at customers. Something needs to be done about the unprofessional employees there. I will not return to this airport.
Date VisitMay 2024

"such rude, disrespectful staff"

Trip Verified | I have travelled all over the world and have never experienced such rude, disrespectful staff. Bag drop was a joke, 4 ladies stood gossiping but no help whatsoever, felt like i was interupting their night out. No pleases or thank you. Might as well have lept the counter and done their jobs for them. Security was a similar experience. Someone needs to remind these people without us travellers paying exorbitant amounts for international travel they would be unemployed. Please if you are looking to breach US security fly from here, they couldnt care less. Restaurant staff however were a delight. Lots of staff here with God complex!
Date VisitApril 2024

“This airport was an insult”

Trip Verified | This airport was an insult. A 5-hour layover at Terminal B between two flights was torture. Lounges are closed or under renovation, there are too few restaurants and when I did find a somewhat acceptable spot, at the last available table, ALL healthy options were "not in stock". All they had left was overpriced fries with a burger. Spending the whole day here makes you depressed. The worst airport in a long time! I'll avoid EWR in the future and opt for JFK instead.
Date VisitMarch 2024

“Just awful”

Not Verified | Just awful. Bought olive oil at duty free in Spain then I had to leave the terminal on a bus, so then had go through security again where the oil is not allowed so TSA confiscated it. Can’t even travel through New Jersey without a mess. Two hours to transfer planes and can’t take the same things from my connecting flight.
Date VisitMarch 2024

"a model of inefficiency"

Trip Verified | Worst major airport in the US and totally deserving of the distinction. Getting in or out of here is a challenge at every turn. I flew in and out of EWR recently and nothing went right. The AirTrain is dreadfully unreliable. On the way in it wasn’t working properly so I had to transfer trains and it took almost a half hour to get to the rail station. If the train into NYC hadn’t been delayed I would have missed it and had to wait even longer. On the way out the airtrain just stopped without explanation for 10-15 minutes leaving everyone trapped inside wondering how long we would be stuck. For $8 each way anyone would expect better for a train that only takes you 2-3 miles. The rest of the airport isn’t any better. On the way in baggage took 45 minutes and was delivered to 2 different carousels despite the boards saying it was only delivered to one. On the way out the security line was an hour. Pre check wasn’t an option, crazy in such a major airport. In short EWR is a model of inefficiency and a masterclass on how to antagonize customers at every turn.
Date VisitJanuary 2024

"awful experience through security"

Not Verified | Truly awful experience through security. My shoes did not come through scanner. When I asked where they were, 2 members of staff at belt 13/14 started to laugh, were utterly disrespectfully, just stood around for the best part of 10 minutes ignoring me. When I asked for a supervisor or airport police to attend, they ignored me again saying they didn’t think they would. Eventually they picked my shoes up from under the chair of the person who checks the monitor at the scan and placed them on the belt. Not sure if these staff have been trained or are just complete morons, but if that is how you treat your customers, then Newark is definitely an airport to avoid.
Date VisitDecember 2023