Newark Airport

"worst airport experience in years"

Not Verified | We traveled through Newark twice in Sept. 2018. Unfortunately, I have to report that this is the worst airport experience in years, and we are world travelers. The worst part of the experience was the awful, terrible, confusing and misleading signage. I would really suggest they hire a consultant to review and drastically improve the signage. There were no maps that I could find in the airport, and I had to ask multiple people, often other travelers, to try to find our way around. The worst was trying to locate the SkyTrain. The small signs appear to have an arrow at the end of them, so we followed those, and ended up nowhere. After asking, we were directed upstairs. Then, I think on the 3rd level, there are conflicting signs, one with an arrow down and another, on the 2nd level, with an arrow up! Again we had to ask where to find it. When we finally got to the station, there was a nice official man, who helped make sure we got oriented to the right train. Even on the way back, we had to ask directions again, because we again got confused by the conflicting directions. All of this could have been avoided with clear maps and well-designed signage. On our return from an international flight, we had the misfortune of having to go through customs and security there. It was ridiculously redundant, I think we had to complete 5 lines before getting out, and it was so slow we almost missed our connection. After completing immigration, we had a very slow and inefficient security clearance before getting on our next flight. It seems more personnel are needed, or else streamlining the process.

"slow and out of date"

Terminal A is the saddest terminal I have ever seen for a major city. The security lines structure are slow and out of date. The food selection is non existent. The workers are not helpful they would rather clock out than help.

"extremely unpleasant place"

Trip Verified | I can echo most of the previous review word for word" "Awful. Terminal C very loud and not enough seating. Have to listen to irritating music the whole wait. The music is awful. It's like sitting amongst a bunch of bars. I have found this extremely stressful. It's 7:30 am, so most people have been awake for a few hours already. Desperately looking for a quiet place to sit, but the beer garden (completely empty) that takes up a huge section of Terminal C is blasting thumping music. Go somewhere else, it's TVs. The food that is available is overpriced junk food. What an extremely unpleasant place.

"extremely stressful"

Not Verified | Awful. Terminal C very loud and not enough seating. Have to listen to irritating music the whole wait. There was trash in the few available (non table chairs). I had to remove old food containers to find a place to sit. The music is awful. It's like sitting amongst a bunch of bars. I have found this extremely stressful.

"it wasn't good"

Not Verified | My arrival at Newark was my first experience of the USA in the Trump era. I don't know if The Donald is to blame, but it wasn't good. 400 or so people on the plane. Probably 300 of them, including me, foreign passport holders who were directed to one open processing point, while our US friends sailed through their multiple open gates. After an hour in the queue another international plane arrived, probably from China. At this point someone decided to let the international queue go through the US processing gates. If this is what America First means it also may mean less visitors and less of our money. At least the delay meant my bag was waiting for me. Transport from the Airport was good on the train.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"the lines are beyond a joke"

Not Verified | I am one of these people who never conplains, usually just get on and deal but this trip tipped me over the edge, cannot deal with Newark airport. It is disgusting, the bathrooms always have huge lines and are gross as is the concourse. My husband and I are TSA approved, the lines are beyond a joke. The TSA agents are rude to put it mildly. I am 51, had a hip replacement 18 months ago, not the average age for this surgery however I get spoken to and treated like I am a moron especially when I line up at the revolving body scanner. It took 20 mins to get through on Sat 8/17/18. Is this seriously the best an airport with mass footfall can do? These people are jobs worth, have no patience and are condescending. Came from Tampa this morning, the experience was so different. Airport is spotless, TSA agents are polite and for the first time ever whilst lining up to go through the body scanner I was asked in a friendly manner if I had metal in my body, it took no time at all to get through. Doubt this review will change anything as no one at Newark seems to care!
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Terrible communication and service"

Trip Verified | After a 4+ hour delay our flight to London was cancelled due to a ‘20 minute’ storm. However it seems that this a common occurrence in this part of the world, at this airport that they are ill prepared for. Terrible communication and service at all levels (bar one woman who helped rebook our flights) which by the way was 2 days later! Seating areas are uncomfortable and sparse. Tired, dirty concourse, hot food left out for hours in the open and very expensive with limited choices. As for baggage reclaim - a total nightmare! I would not recommend this airport to any traveler coming in or out of New York at any time of the year.

"a hot mess"

Not Verified | Newark airport has always been a hot mess. My specific complaint is the terminal letters and locations. My husband and I arrived to Newark on Thursday July 19, 2018 all was good. On Friday July 20th my 3 kids were coming in. They called us to let us know that they arrived and would be in baggage claim. Coming into the airport we saw terminals A, B and C. They were in C. To get to them with your upper and lower roads was the most craziest thing I have experienced. We kept missing how to get to terminal C going slow and reading the signs. Then trying to get back into the airport it put us out of the way no wehre close to where we were. After 45 minutes circling the airport and almost getting stuck in the parking garage we got to them. Coming back home we flew out of Philadelphia. A piece of cake! Tell your road people to get two civilians to get in a car, read the signs and see if they can get to their people to pick up in baggage claim.

"quality below expectations"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Filthy restrooms, poor food options with quality below expectations. Messy corridors. Staircases without help for elderly people. Worst airport experience so far. Clocks out of order showing wrong time.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"does a horrible job at hiring staff"

Not Verified | This is not the first time I have had a bad experience with TSA. This is the second time in a row and it will happen again next year I just know it. I don’t know what kind of people you are hiring but Newark does a horrible job at hiring staff. The bathrooms are gross and the toilet seats always have something on them. Food is overpriced for whatever reason. Newark is just money hungry but is bad quality.