Newark Airport

"only one person checking IDs"

Not Verified | This is the worst airport security process ever. So bad that I am currently in the security line and taking my time to write this. There’s a very long line and only one person checking IDs while 2 others stood and watched. Imagine over 50 people in a line going to one person. Now I have a 5 am flight and been dealing with this line since 3:15 am. It is now 3:53am and I haven’t gone through security yet! There’s no urgency here, 10-15 people at security standing around. Like get it together! It’s going into 2019, there’s no reason it should still take this long especially at this time of day. Hire more people! Make people want to use your airport. Then the staff looks at us with blank stares when we ask them to open more lines or do something so people don’t miss their flights. This airport is a -5 star!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"terrible airport for transfer"

Not Verified | Absolutely terrible airport for transfer. I was traveling with a baby. After 14 hours on the flight from China, I was waiting for a domestic connection. The waiting areas provide very uncomfortable chairs. The announcements about no smoking and safety were blaring super loud from the speakers every 15 min. Neither the baby nor I could have a nap or rest between flights. The bathrooms are outdated and not that clean (such a shame in comparison with bathrooms in Asia). Few times airport and airlines employees took breaks in the gate areas. They had loud conversations and their radios were loud. Shouldn't they be working instead of disturbing travelers? Doesn't the airport provide break rooms? Or were the emoyees hiding from their duties?
Date VisitDecember 2018

"new security procedure is flawed"

Not Verified | The new security procedure is flawed. The person at the front of the line is blocked by bags slowly going into the screening process. So everyone wants to stand at the end and get going. The TSA agents are also rude and don’t help the process. All they do is bark at people. I only fly when absolutely necessary and hope the poor service makes everyone do the same. Poor service should not be rewarded, if a few loose the job because of low ticket sales. I’ll throw a party.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"staff were rude beyond belief"

Not Verified | Genuinely cannot begin to explain how awful our experience at this airport was. The staff were rude beyond belief. I have never been treated or spoken to so badly, the lady who was re-booking us due to a flight cancellation at the BA desk in terminal B did not want to be there and was extremely unpleasant, unprofessional, and giving incorrect information. BA flight 188 to London Heathrow was cancelled due to technical issues and after waiting in line for 3 hours, this kind of experience just makes it worse. After standing in line for hours at 2 am on thanksgiving day she looked at our passports and tells us GO BACK HOME and come tomorrow. I have never encountered such rude, nasty behavior and genuinely do not want to fly to this airport again.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"has the worst security facilities"

Not Verified | The airport has the worst security facilities, there were more than 100 people waiting in the line and only 1 counter was functional. Some people missed their flights because they could not get through the security in time. When they requested TSA officials about their flight timings, they behaved very rudely and didn't expedite their checking. I have traveled in and out of Atlanta's airport 10s of time never faced this issue. In fact, this problem was observed only in Newark Airport.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"place is a mess"

Not Verified | Our departure trip was not terrible, which is about as good as it gets with Newark. We were in terminal C, which is the best of the three. Parking is outrageously expensive. We had TSA pre-check, so the line wasn't too bad through security. All of the restaurants are the same, with the tablets sitting in the middle of the table, so it's pretty hard to have a conversation and share a meal with your travel companions, but still much better than the choices at terminals A and B. The return trip shows how poorly this airport is run. Landing late at night, our baggage came suprisingly quickly, but then we needed to take the tram to get to our car. They only run one train at night between the terminals, and then they force you to get off and get on a different train to get to the parking lots. The first train took much longer and was very crowded. It was worse for the second train. We waited a good 10 minutes as the crowd grew, and very nearly did not get onto the hot crowded car. The pre-pay facility at the parking ramp was in poor repair. It took a long time to figure out where to touch the screen to get the buttons to work, (down about an inch from the buttons themselvs!). There were only two lanes open to exit the ramp, and one of them was blocked by another car who couldn't get the automatic ticket to open the gate. Overall, it took almost an hour from landing to getting out of the airport in my car. This place is a mess, is poorly run, and is unfortunately about the only option we have.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"Worst airport I have used"

Not Verified | Worst airport I have used in many years. Getting there torturous, chaotic at Penn station and then big queues for airtrain. Huge queues at security, very hot, rude staff and extremely poor airside facilities. Extortionate prices for food and drinks and hardly any choice. Awful - avoid if you can.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"staff were rude beyond belief"

Not Verified | Genuinely cannot begin to explain how awful our experience at this airport was. The staff were rude beyond belief and if it were warranted I wouldn’t bother posting a review but it absolutely was not. The girl who was checking us in at the BA desk in terminal B did not want to be there and made no effort to connect with us, grabbed my bag from me as if I were an inconvenience to her, and as a nervous traveller these kind of experiences just make it worse. She was asked by an employee if she was being nice and her response with an eye roll was ‘trying to be’. I encountered very few polite people in this establishment and genuinely do not want to fly to this airport again. Toilets were absolutely disgusting, any time you ask for assistance with anything you are treated with a sigh.

Newark Airport customer review

Not Verified | I’ve never had any problems at Newark Airport. Pretty swift, but know you’ll be waiting in some lines. I went to check a bag that came to be one pound over the limit. The kiosk told me it would be $225. We were rushing, so I paid it. In shock that I just paid that and didn’t even ask questions, we looked around where to go next. A woman working there came up to me and asked if I wanted her to put on my bag ticket. She noticed it said heavy and asked how heavy it was. The staff member immediately took me through lines to get a refund. It was so kind of her to do that for me - it absolutely made my day and started out my vacation on such a more pleasant note. I am extremely grateful for her! Thank you!
Date VisitOctober 2018

"worst airport experience in years"

Not Verified | We traveled through Newark twice in Sept. 2018. Unfortunately, I have to report that this is the worst airport experience in years, and we are world travelers. The worst part of the experience was the awful, terrible, confusing and misleading signage. I would really suggest they hire a consultant to review and drastically improve the signage. There were no maps that I could find in the airport, and I had to ask multiple people, often other travelers, to try to find our way around. The worst was trying to locate the SkyTrain. The small signs appear to have an arrow at the end of them, so we followed those, and ended up nowhere. After asking, we were directed upstairs. Then, I think on the 3rd level, there are conflicting signs, one with an arrow down and another, on the 2nd level, with an arrow up! Again we had to ask where to find it. When we finally got to the station, there was a nice official man, who helped make sure we got oriented to the right train. Even on the way back, we had to ask directions again, because we again got confused by the conflicting directions. All of this could have been avoided with clear maps and well-designed signage. On our return from an international flight, we had the misfortune of having to go through customs and security there. It was ridiculously redundant, I think we had to complete 5 lines before getting out, and it was so slow we almost missed our connection. After completing immigration, we had a very slow and inefficient security clearance before getting on our next flight. It seems more personnel are needed, or else streamlining the process.
Date VisitSeptember 2018