Newark Airport

"Dirty Terminal A"

Not Verified | Dirty Terminal A, almost nasty. TSA precheck were bumbling around, fumbling with bags on the belt, standing around chatting with each other and basically not paying attention. True amateur hour.
Date VisitOctober 2020

"Water vending machines needed"

Not Verified | Water vending machines needed after security. All stores obviously closed due to COVID. Pass the security only a water fountainis available. Is that hygienic considering the rate at which the virus keeps spreading? There are 2 vending machines that sell electronics. Please exchange those for a water one! In the meantime, bring an empty bottle of water with you.
Date VisitMay 2020

"Worst experience ever"

Not Verified | Worst experience ever. I had a long lay over and wanted to go to a lounge in a different concourse but was unable too. Every time you go to a different concourse you have to go back through security if they let you. They prescribe your tickets and if you are set for a different concourse they block you. I will never go through here again.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"I want to change this policy of separating family"

Not Verified | I was travelling with my family for a vacation. This is the first time we encountered the barking dog security check and it was horrible. My son was sniffed by the dog and was asked to step aside by the security as we the rest of the family was standing there. I had to walk beside the barking dog and was asked to come back to the starting place to walk again with the dog. My son was taken by a cop to another scanning area when we the three of the family were standing in another area for checking. Why couldn't they take all of us together when we were travelling together. He was terrified so were the rest of the family. We couldn't see him. After we were checked in the cop brought him to us. My son said he was scared. Please stop this practice. I want to change this policy of separating family for additional checking.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"the staff were absolutely awful"

Trip Verified | This airport was horrible. Stopped here for a connecting flight home from London. Most of the staff were absolutely awful. This was only my second time flying and my mother’s first. Staff did not acknowledge us or attempt to help us, when we asked they acted like we were a bother to them. The customs person checking passports and boarding passes snatched my phone from me to scan my boarding pass. The woman in TSA had a major attitude and got mad when we told her that the bins under the table that she said were empty actually had stuff in them. I was in a great mood after my vacation but the staff at this airport ruined it completely. The staff at London Heathrow, Richmond International, Dulles, and Dubai International airports were never rude and disrespectful like this. It’s a shame, honestly, that first and second time travelers, let alone anyone at all, should have to be treated like this and made to feel dumb.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"I'd still rather fly here than to LaGuardia"

Trip Verified | I flew into Terminal A and out of Terminal C the next day, both on United Express. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to leave the airport on public transit on the weekend because NJ Transit schedules 3 trains within 15 minutes of each other, then makes you wait 45 minutes for the next one. For that reason, I reluctantly shelled out for a Lyft into New York. I really appreciated that Newark lets you get into Lyft vehicles directly at the curbside - too many airports these days make you walk long distances to a distant parking garage to get your ride, but Newark's customer-friendly decision to let me get picked up at the curb meant that I could be on my way within 10 minutes of arriving, for which I give them high marks. Departing out of Terminal C was a little more hectic, the signage for how to get to security from the check-in desks was inadequate, and the employees who were supposed to be directing traffic were rude when asked for assistance. The food in Terminal C was overpriced, but I thought the quality was actually decent, and I liked the ability to order food on a tablet at the gate and get it delivered. Newark isn't great, and I wish the public transit powers that be would spread the trains out a little more so that there aren't 45 minutes wait for trains. But I'd still rather fly here than to LaGuardia.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"What an embarrassment"

Trip Verified | Used Newark as a connection on my way back from London. What an embarrassment. Terrible systems in place for international travel. Filthy dirty with trash everywhere. Food is very overpriced. I will pay extra to avoid this airport in the future. I've been in a lot of American airports and this is the worst by far.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"never, ever again use this airport"

Not Verified | I fly the world over and still can’t believe the free market has not eliminated this underperforming airport. Hard to believe there is no dedicated custom for people with connections nor do they have a dedicated security line for connecting flight. I am skipping comments to the airline which was as blatantly not caring or competent. Promised myself to never, ever again use this airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Severe need for an upgrade"

Not Verified | Every time I come here the waiting area is at least 78 degrees, much too hot to wait for an hour for a flight. Searched all areas of the gate area and not one cool spot. Very restricted food and drink availability at the gate area. Only one restaurant one snack bar. If you are hungry eat before you come to this gate. Bathrooms are clean! Severe need for an upgrade. Very out dated and dirty looking terminal.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"disgusted by the experience"

Trip Verified | I am disgusted by the experience my husband and I had at Newark airport this morning. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6am, so we arrived a little after 4am. We breezed through check-in at the Delta counter with zero issues. Everyone was kind, professional, working efficiently, and quickly checked our bags in, printed our boarding passes, and directed us to security. A quick trip up the escalator and we were “greeted” with an enormously, annoyingly excessive long security line. Though the electronic signboard stated the minute-long wait for TSA pre-check, priority boarding, and regular, they informed us all lanes were closed but “regular.” This was was the first major slow down. Next, there was a large number of TSA agents per customers, the majority were dry, cold, and lacked professional courtesy/basic customer service (and some were just straight up rude) as they pushed people through this single lane and barked repetitive reminders about the speed in which to walk past the dog, etc. We are frequent flyers and have seen many other airports use the police dogs much more effectively than Newark. Why can’t they take a page out of JFK’s or DCA’s policy and just keep the line moving at a normal pace and have a lane for the dog to pass everyone? This was the second major slow down. We finally get to our security scan belt around 535am, knowing our flight is already boarding. They switch out TSA people to watch the screen, which stops our line. They yell over and over that nothing may be in a bin except large electronics and edibles. Again, the cold, curt way in which we were spoken to was unacceptable. We finally make it to the scanner and I’m randomly selected for additional screening. That didn’t take as long as I thought it might, but again, I’m now fearful I’m going to miss my flight that takes off in 15 min. No one cares. That was the third slowdown. We get through security to then be yelled at to take our shoes to a bench to put them back on... why can’t anyone show a bit of kindness???? Meanwhile, nearly everyone was passing, in front of or behind, us complaining about how horrible security was today. Why would they not open until 430am knowing people are scheduled to board 6am departing flights at 530? We made our flight but did get to the gate after boarding had already begun. I will be doing everything in my power to avoid the Newark airport for future travel and will tell my friends and family to do the same.