Newark Airport

“completely trashed with dirty grease”

Not Verified | TSA failed to ensure my beige jacket was properly tucked in the security bin so it fell out and got wrapped around a roller and got completely trashed with dirty grease. This was after one TSA stated to keep my shoes and jacket on since I was TSA Pre. Another TSA told my, last minute I had to take it off.
Date VisitNovember 2023

“never experienced customer service this poor”

Not Verified | The airport is new and looks nice but the people working here are horrible. I've been to airports all over the US, Canada, and South-East Asia and I have never experienced customer service this poor. This is my first time passing through New Jersey and I was worried that this is just how people are in New Jersey. However, after reading some of these reviews and learning that this Newark airport ranks among the worst in the country, I look forward to meeting some real New Jersians. I first observed the staff being unneccesarily confrontational with a man who didn't check a large bag. They waited until he got all the way through the line in security before reprimanding him for not checking his bag as if this large, grown man was an unruly child. Then a security lady procceded to aggressively rush the next woman in line who was travelling with 3 small children. This exchange was unapathetic and useless considering they were already going as fast as any reasonable people would. Then I got to the bag scan security area where the woman gave vague instructions in a dry tone. After i loaded my bag, emptied my pockets, and put everything in the bin she allowed it to pass into the scanner before telling me I also need to take off my shoes. When I loaded these into the bin and put it on the turnstile she pushed it back at me and told me to take my stuff out and let the next passenger load their things, because I "wasn't listening". The multiple employees I've encountered in this airport seem to all be angry at something, and its unfortunate that they are taking this out on the customers.
Date VisitNovember 2023

"worst airport for customer service"

Not Verified | Had to catch a connecting flight from Canada home to Edinburgh airport. The worst airport I have ever come across for customer service - the staff are so rude and uncaring, they should move over and let people who actually want to work in customer service do the job! Border control was one of the worst experiences of my life! Only 4 desks open for a turnstile line of roughly 500 people for non USA citizens and 2 open for USA only queue of roughly 100! After queuing for 2 and half hours and very near boarding closure staff then proceeded to open the check-in point we were close to for the small USA only queue only! Answer when we tried to point out we were about to miss our flight was `see your travel rep on the other side.' Finally got through and duty free clear bag also containing my husbands personal belongings got pulled for checking behind 4 other trays, panic stricken I asked if there was anything staff could do for us as boarding closed in 3 minutes and got the response to get in line, staff then chatted away to each other giggling whilst nonchalantly re-checking the pulled trays! In the meantime, I on the other hand felt like I was about to have a heart attack with the the stress! Please put people in these jobs who actually give a damn about other people and don't get off in sneering at their customers!
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"I couldn’t fine one gluten free food"

Trip Verified | I couldn’t fine one gluten free food (not snack) option at any terminal! And being stuck here over night due to a cancelled flight leaves you looking for a healthy breakfast, at a minimum a breakfast sandwich! So disappointing. So many other airports are more up on the times.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"disgusting treatment and behavior"

Not Verified | There was a large line for TSA at Terminal B for the 40-47 gates. Coming down the escalator I could hear this loud yelling coming from downstairs. When I made it to the second level, an airport employee wearing a red shirt was nearly chasing people down and berating them for not keeping up with the line, the issue was, they were trying to but when they’d ask her for clarification she would get in their face and tell them to get to the back of the line if they couldn’t keep up. Then, she let 6 people cut in line in front of a patient gentleman and he asked her to please let him get back in his place and she came within inches of his face and began yelling at him saying “Do you want to do the job for me!? You wanna do the job!? Then stay in your place.” And he just simply gave up and sat down. Another employee in a blue shirt walked up to her and couldn’t even calm her down, couldn’t even get a word in. I approached and asked how to get to the TSA Pre Check line and she looked me in the eyes and laughed and then said demeaningly, “You go to the front.” I’ve never traveled through this terminal so I was confused and said “How do I get to the front?” She groaned VERY loudly and then yelled in my face “How do you think!? You walk?!” And continued to yell at me as I began walking and removing myself from the situation, I responded as I turned around already quite distanced from her but she was still yelling at me and said “Ma’am please I did nothing to you.” And she motioned to shoo me away. Multiple people were shaken up and asked if I was okay as well. It was disgusting treatment and behavior. Unfortunately I could not catch her name cause she was conveniently covering her name tag.
Date VisitAugust 2023

"One of the worst airport experiences"

Trip Verified | One of the worst airport experiences out there. The redo of Terminal A is not well marked, the TSA pre security line shutdown at 7pm with over 300 people in line. The baggage service delivered 9 bags and then had a 15 minute delay until the remainder of the bags were delivered. Additionally there are several loose floor tiles, broken Sheetrock, dim lighting and general poor aesthetic throughout.
Date VisitAugust 2023

"assistance is absolutely a joke"

Not Verified | I had requested for wheelchair assistance and on departure, it was all fine. On arrivals, we were seated in the wheel chairs and left sitting for a good 10 mins. Half way to immigration, the man stopped again and told people to use the washroom and he disappeared, leaving us stranded for another 10 minutes. He reappears and wheels us into an immigration line, and what do you know, he completely stranded us. My husband had to wheel me to luggage claim, and had to wheel me separately to the taxi area, whilst he retrieved the luggage. This is the most terrible experience. The assistance is absolutely a joke. We suffered due to their lack of being properly staffed and being professionally on top of their duties.
Date VisitAugust 2023

"worst airport experience I have ever had"

Trip Verified | Easily the worst airport experience I have ever had, including international airports. Not at all kid-friendly because it's not people-friendly at all. Staff can't get their story straight and are extremely rude, dirty with trash everywhere, and the airport isn't connected. We landed in terminal A and they forced us to leave the airport and go through security again to get to terminal C for our connecting flight. I guess I'm just glad our layover wasn't too short because you need a couple of hours or you'll miss you'll flight. We couldn't get to much food and felt so rushed due to having to go through security again. It would have been better to spend an extra $500 per person to have a layover in another airport. Lesson learned, we won't ever fly through here again. Oh and the so-called kid play areas are dirty, sticky, with broken pieces making it dangerous and the staff do not care at all. Seriously, just watch people and the planes, your kid will be safer and better off. Don't be like me, don't believe anyone who says this is a good airport with kids. Easily the worst part of the entire trip.
Date VisitJuly 2023

"TSA agents are unhelpful"

Trip Verified | TSA agents are unhelpful and some rude and unprofessional. I left my phone at security and nobody wanted to help me and were uncaring. At the AA gate they tried to make calls to help. I borrowed a phone to call my own and was so grateful a CLEAR agent, Marquis, answered and personally walked my phone down to me so I would not miss my flight. He was so compassionate and professional - great reason to get CLEAR. I would have been devastated to lose special family pictures and will back up to cloud. He understood it was more than a phone. Rating 10 in appreciation of him and AA counter.

"very poorly managed"

Not Verified | This is hands down the worst travel experience I’ve ever had. They have poor staffing and every flight is delayed due to not enough plane cleaners. Staff are unbothered by wait times and have very poor communication with everyone involved. The help desk is always hours long of waiting time with minimal staff. Overall very poorly managed and will never fly here again. Stay away if you value your time and money.