Newark Airport

"never, ever again use this airport"

Not Verified | I fly the world over and still can’t believe the free market has not eliminated this underperforming airport. Hard to believe there is no dedicated custom for people with connections nor do they have a dedicated security line for connecting flight. I am skipping comments to the airline which was as blatantly not caring or competent. Promised myself to never, ever again use this airport.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"Severe need for an upgrade"

Not Verified | Every time I come here the waiting area is at least 78 degrees, much too hot to wait for an hour for a flight. Searched all areas of the gate area and not one cool spot. Very restricted food and drink availability at the gate area. Only one restaurant one snack bar. If you are hungry eat before you come to this gate. Bathrooms are clean! Severe need for an upgrade. Very out dated and dirty looking terminal.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"disgusted by the experience"

Trip Verified | I am disgusted by the experience my husband and I had at Newark airport this morning. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6am, so we arrived a little after 4am. We breezed through check-in at the Delta counter with zero issues. Everyone was kind, professional, working efficiently, and quickly checked our bags in, printed our boarding passes, and directed us to security. A quick trip up the escalator and we were “greeted” with an enormously, annoyingly excessive long security line. Though the electronic signboard stated the minute-long wait for TSA pre-check, priority boarding, and regular, they informed us all lanes were closed but “regular.” This was was the first major slow down. Next, there was a large number of TSA agents per customers, the majority were dry, cold, and lacked professional courtesy/basic customer service (and some were just straight up rude) as they pushed people through this single lane and barked repetitive reminders about the speed in which to walk past the dog, etc. We are frequent flyers and have seen many other airports use the police dogs much more effectively than Newark. Why can’t they take a page out of JFK’s or DCA’s policy and just keep the line moving at a normal pace and have a lane for the dog to pass everyone? This was the second major slow down. We finally get to our security scan belt around 535am, knowing our flight is already boarding. They switch out TSA people to watch the screen, which stops our line. They yell over and over that nothing may be in a bin except large electronics and edibles. Again, the cold, curt way in which we were spoken to was unacceptable. We finally make it to the scanner and I’m randomly selected for additional screening. That didn’t take as long as I thought it might, but again, I’m now fearful I’m going to miss my flight that takes off in 15 min. No one cares. That was the third slowdown. We get through security to then be yelled at to take our shoes to a bench to put them back on... why can’t anyone show a bit of kindness???? Meanwhile, nearly everyone was passing, in front of or behind, us complaining about how horrible security was today. Why would they not open until 430am knowing people are scheduled to board 6am departing flights at 530? We made our flight but did get to the gate after boarding had already begun. I will be doing everything in my power to avoid the Newark airport for future travel and will tell my friends and family to do the same.

"Terrible service"

Not Verified | Departed and arrived at this airport for an international flight. Signage is terrible. Services such as restaurants while waiting are extremely limited. But the worst part was upon return getting through border control and customs. Landed early after a 10-hour flight and got in the line for US citizens. There were only 2 agents working. This for a place where planes carrying hundreds of passengers land. After nearly an hour we went past the agents to the machines to scan our passports and answer customs questions, when we had already filled out a form on the plane. We then had to get in another line to see another officer and this line also only had 2 officers working. We were part of a group trip and noticed nobody that had been in line ahead of us or behind us was in this new line. We noticed that no one else in the new line we were in held US Passports. We asked if we were in the right place and were told to stay in line with no explanation as to why. When we finally got to the officer he told us it was bad luck and scanned our passports. Nobody actually ever looked at the customs form. It took us two hours to get through customs and to our baggage. Terrible service. Will never fly through Newark again.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"Staff were pleasant and helpful"

Trip Verified | We ended up on a United flight following the collapse of Thomas Cook who we had a flight booked with into JFK. Having travelled into JFK many times before I was comparing my experience in Newark to JFK. On arrival signage was clear and there were no queues for immigration. Only the queue that formed from our plane. Staff were pleasant and helpful in contrast to the rude staff at JFK. Baggage collection was fine and we were out of the airport within 40 minutes from arrival. This was at 12.00 pm on a Tuesday afternoon. Returning we found the check in quite confusing but we had plenty of help. There was a reasonably long but fast moving security queue and staff were serious but polite. Really liked the food ordering iPads and the free use of iPads in the departure lounge. Really nice feature. The food and drink outlets were very expensive. All in all a good experience and much better than JFK and I’d use United again next time I go back to New York.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"security is always a big drama"

Trip Verified | Flew Newark a couple of time for domestic and international flights. It is a descent airport with aged facilities. Queuing for security is always a big drama, which is common for us airports. However Newark is pretty horrible in this regard, especially for international flight. That's why I try to avoid this airport as possible as i can. EWR ranks definitely last among new York airports.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"A very average airport"

Trip Verified | A very average airport in term of quality of infrastructures and cleanliness. Will need to be modernized in the near future. But overall, the biggest problem with this airport (and other in USA) is the people who work there. Many give more attention to consulting their phone during work time rather than offering a quality service to the passengers! The security staff of TSA are unprofessional, not dedicated to their work, rude and not fit to work with people. It gives a strong impression that the main criteria to work for TSA is to be a loser.

"lines are ridiculous"

Not Verified | Posted signs and directions are the least useful I have ever seen. No clear direction to rental car, air train, or even what airlines are supported at what gates. Asking airport staff results in attitude. TSA lines are ridiculous, and attitude of TSA staff is horrible. TSA exit provides for only three seats to allow travlers space to re-pack and put on shoes. There is plenty of room for additional seating, just none provided. Restrooms - thought I was in a third world country. Semi permanent outhouse? Complete with queue like TSA? Totally ridiculous. If/when you actually get into one, it is filthy. Terminal - gate area, wide open, good seating, but not one flight monitor. I'm sorry, but if the e-ticket does not provide gate number, and the gate area provides no monitors, you are forced to stand in line to ask at a random gate station about other gate info. Once again - large amount of attitude.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"airport really is pretty awful"

Not Verified | This airport really is pretty awful. Overcrowded, generally surly staff, not enough restrooms. At least it is generally clean. I arrived from an international destination a few years back and never again. Try finding a Lufthansa code share and connect in Frankfurt or Munich instead. This is a United hub so I connect here occasionally but try to avoid it. Overcrowded and tired United Clubs. I think I will start using LaGuardia once the construction there is complete. It really is pretty bad.
Date VisitNovember 2019

"two hours to clear immigration"

Not Verified | Avoid this airport when flying international and allow at least 3+ hours for changing flights as the queues at immiagration hall were horrendous with so many agents booths unoccupied, surely they know when to put more agents on with the number of international flights arriving. It took me two hours to clear immigration, had a departing flight with United from terminal C so planned to use United shuttle bus at gate 67 which means you don't have to go through security. When i went to recheck my bag in the belt had broken so they were using buses to terminals where you had to carry your baggage onto and as i was now out of the terminal had to clear security again at terminal C causing further delay, i ran to the gate and my flight was just boarding. Staff here are rude and don't answer any questions, signage is very poor and on returning gate signage was wrong sending me the wrong direction for my flight, will avoid this airport again.
Date VisitOctober 2019