Newark Airport

"This place is terrible"

Not Verified | This place is terrible, I have traveled through here many times but not for a couple of years, on arrival I had a 3 hour layover but made my connecting flight by 10 minutes due to the lack of staff both at immigration and security for the next flight? The queues were ridiculous, on departure things were no better, 4 hours to spare so decided to gave a meal and a drink, the prices for both are ludicrous, a steak with no accompanying fries or anything was $47 (before we start with the tipping con) a single beer comes in at over $10 and every bar or food outlet has identical pricing ! You have to order through these horrible pads with no cash option (what happened to the states love of the free market here ?) I will endeavour never to use this airport again.c
Date VisitAugust 2019

"airport does not have enough wheelchairs"

Not Verified | Senior Citizens - Expect the worst at Liberty Newark.. I am a 79 year old man. I was traveling with my wife who is 73 years old. Both of us have mobility issues and therefore we had tickets that allowed us to avail wheelchair facility at the airport. (I was traveling from Mumbai in July.) To my utter disappointment, the airport does not have enough wheelchairs. We were made to wait for a significantly long time to get one, when we needed two. I made it known to the airport official that we will not leave unless my wife also gets one. To this, the official was absolutely rude, rude to the point that he made me stand up from the wheelchair that I had and asked me, in a ruder tone, to wait further. Without an ounce of respect for our age, and consideration of our disabilities or the fact that we have been traveling for more than 16+ hours, he left us to our fate. A young attendant after some time finally came to our rescue with another wheelchair which I was given, while my wife walked slowly behind. If the airport cannot take care of senior citizens, particularly from far off places, then the airport is in no position to boast of service quality. Expect the worst when you travel to or from this airport. Having less facilities is understandable, but a rude behavior from officials should simply not be tolerated. The staff need a lot, a lot of training with customer interaction. This is not my first time traveling to a foreign destination. We have travelled to 12 nations of the world. I never expected that my first experience with a US airport would be the worst. I am booking my return ticket from New York.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"ground security are efficient"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | This is fairly good airport. It is clean and the ground security are efficient. We had an easy peasy check in and boading time when we were there. There are plenty of food options in the airport and wifi is available.

"Everything is wrong"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Everything is wrong about this airport. Why cant they they have areas for smokers? Wouldent affect the non smokers at all so why cant smokers smoke when they want to smoke here? Our plane was delayed, and we had to buy some food. But at what prices? I have never paid so much for so little. 11$ for a Pizza slice! Gate was changed 3 times, and every time we had to pass people coming out from Security check.

"I am outraged"

NotVerified | I am outraged. Our flight was delayed for an hour, and then we had to wait an hour after we landed to get off a plane. Now we have to wait two hours to get our luggage because they won’t tag the bags out until then.

"no gate available"

Not Verified | Plane on time and no gate available, this was Terminal C, United Airlines, more than an hour waiting for a damn gate. Sat on this plane tired and hungry. Unbelievable.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"2 hours to go through immigration"

Not Verified | Crazy situation at Newark after arrival from Heathrow. Hundreds of people came in from various flights but initially only 3 operatives were working. Eventually ( and I mean eventually!!)another 3 desks opened. While I understand the need for security , it was very frustrating to take 2 hours to go through immigration after an 8 hour flight when all it would have taken would have been more operatives being employed who could deal with passengers more efficiently and effectively. On the other hand, on return to the airport to Heathrow, security staff were laughing and joking with children and passengers and shouting out which computer games were the best which seemed to me inappropriate for such an important role. I mentioned a stray case which seemed to have been left. The response was less that concerned! Beware Newark!!

"disorganised and unhelpful"

Not Verified | Totally disorganised and unhelpful. Airport machines are stupid. 2hours 20mins in transfer and the whole time was spent queuing and stressed. Their unhelpful attitude really does not help, we just made our flight out of Newark

"terrible customer service"

Trip Verified | I have never seen a more demoralized, slow, and unmotivated TSA team than the one working at EWR. Not to mention unbelievably rigid. Nowhere outside of Newark airport does the TSA so unapologetically take your belongings. For instance, they threw my Nalgene water bottle in the garbage because it had the tiniest amount of water. Face wash that I was allowed to bring on the plane on the last flight was thrown in the garbage. It’s slow, chaotic and unfriendly. What is management doing to these people that they operate at such a low performance level? From the moment you step in the airport your accosted with terrible customer service. This place contributes to NJ’s poor image throughout the country. As an NJ native, it bugs me that we do so poorly.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"chaotic and poorly designed"

Not Verified | On no level did this airport succeed in providing a satisfying or even acceptable experience. Have had far more pleasant and efficient experiences at airports in Africa, Asia, and Latin America in supposed 'third world countries' than at this abomination. I am a native born American fluent in English, yet there was virtually no signage, unjustified delays, no information, my gate and departure time was changed three times, exceptionally inefficient management of space (inadequate space for TSA and always between gates), filthy and overcrowded bathrooms, an obnoxious and distasteful obligatory system for making an order at a restaurant, pathetically high prices, overworked and insufficient quantity of staff (who were also largely uninterested in being helpful), exceptionally poor connections between terminals. Over an hour for the luggage to make it from the plane to the baggage rotisserie. Then a chaotic and poorly designed means to re-deliver baggage for a connecting flight. There were a good number of plugs and outlets to recharge a laptop of phone. That is literally the only redeeming thing I can say about my four hour misery in this airport. Avoid at all costs. This airport is a travesty and an example of how poorly designed, inefficient, and unpleasant so much of America's infrastructure has become.