Newark Airport

"Not a pleasant experience"

Not Verified | I was departing late at night. None of the water fountains in the waiting area were working forcing passengers to buy bottled water at ridiculous prices. There were only 2 food places opened and both with huge lines. The coffee machine didn't work. Not a pleasant experience waiting for your flight.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"TSA here really over extend themselves"

Trip Verified | The TSA here really over extend themselves to make you miss your flight. They wouldn't let go of my mothers insulin at security, almost breaking and ruining her cooler insulin bag and damaging her insulin and making a mess of her two carry ons. They made her stay there for 30 minutes because the staff had never seen a cooler insulin bag like that. Because of TSA ignorance she almost lost her insulin and her flight. Secondly, a United bag drop personnel was making such a big deal about me getting their paper tags that were on top of the counter for passengers to use, saying that I should have asked, so why the heck is it on top of the counter without a sign to ask for it? If we paid for the tickets including luggage we have the right for tags so tags are included and what we paid for. This staff just look like they are miserable and want to pass that on to you at your own time and expense.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"will do my best to avoid"

Trip Verified | Arriving was ridiculous. I understand there were weather problems, but even Americans were required to speak to a border agent. Had US passengers been granted entry with the machines, then waiting wouldn't have been so bad. In the end, filling the card was useless and the machines served essentially to take your picture and to tell you to report to passport control. It took one hour just to leave the airport. Signage was confusing, border agents weren't very friendly and the layout is illogical. I asked the supervisor, apparently everyone speaks to a border agent. Then why are there machines? Leaving, security was a bit slow. I will do my best to avoid this airport in the future.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Coming into immigration was a disaster"

Not Verified | United Airlines arrived on time, and we disembarked in a timely fashion. Coming into immigration was a disaster. First we had to wait in a line to scan our passports and fingerprints, and customs form, we had already filled out a hard copy on the plane, and a picture. Then we had to wait in line over an hour, it wasn't particular full, just not enough windows open. Then we got to the immigration officer, a nice guy, he scanned our passports, which we had already done, he took our finger prints which we had already done, he took our picture which we had already done, and looked over our customs declaration hard copy, which we already had filled out on the first machine. No reason at all to have to wait twice in line for the same thing. After collecting our luggage we had to wait in line again for about 20 minutes just to pass thru the customs officer, only 2 officers were there, before we could exit. It took over two hours from leaving the plane till exiting the airport. That is after a 8 hour flight.

"This place is terrible"

Not Verified | This place is terrible, I have traveled through here many times but not for a couple of years, on arrival I had a 3 hour layover but made my connecting flight by 10 minutes due to the lack of staff both at immigration and security for the next flight? The queues were ridiculous, on departure things were no better, 4 hours to spare so decided to gave a meal and a drink, the prices for both are ludicrous, a steak with no accompanying fries or anything was $47 (before we start with the tipping con) a single beer comes in at over $10 and every bar or food outlet has identical pricing ! You have to order through these horrible pads with no cash option (what happened to the states love of the free market here ?) I will endeavour never to use this airport again.c
Date VisitAugust 2019

"airport does not have enough wheelchairs"

Not Verified | Senior Citizens - Expect the worst at Liberty Newark.. I am a 79 year old man. I was traveling with my wife who is 73 years old. Both of us have mobility issues and therefore we had tickets that allowed us to avail wheelchair facility at the airport. (I was traveling from Mumbai in July.) To my utter disappointment, the airport does not have enough wheelchairs. We were made to wait for a significantly long time to get one, when we needed two. I made it known to the airport official that we will not leave unless my wife also gets one. To this, the official was absolutely rude, rude to the point that he made me stand up from the wheelchair that I had and asked me, in a ruder tone, to wait further. Without an ounce of respect for our age, and consideration of our disabilities or the fact that we have been traveling for more than 16+ hours, he left us to our fate. A young attendant after some time finally came to our rescue with another wheelchair which I was given, while my wife walked slowly behind. If the airport cannot take care of senior citizens, particularly from far off places, then the airport is in no position to boast of service quality. Expect the worst when you travel to or from this airport. Having less facilities is understandable, but a rude behavior from officials should simply not be tolerated. The staff need a lot, a lot of training with customer interaction. This is not my first time traveling to a foreign destination. We have travelled to 12 nations of the world. I never expected that my first experience with a US airport would be the worst. I am booking my return ticket from New York.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"ground security are efficient"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | This is fairly good airport. It is clean and the ground security are efficient. We had an easy peasy check in and boading time when we were there. There are plenty of food options in the airport and wifi is available.

"Everything is wrong"

(Denmark)

Not Verified | Everything is wrong about this airport. Why cant they they have areas for smokers? Wouldent affect the non smokers at all so why cant smokers smoke when they want to smoke here? Our plane was delayed, and we had to buy some food. But at what prices? I have never paid so much for so little. 11$ for a Pizza slice! Gate was changed 3 times, and every time we had to pass people coming out from Security check.

"I am outraged"

NotVerified | I am outraged. Our flight was delayed for an hour, and then we had to wait an hour after we landed to get off a plane. Now we have to wait two hours to get our luggage because they won’t tag the bags out until then.

"no gate available"

Not Verified | Plane on time and no gate available, this was Terminal C, United Airlines, more than an hour waiting for a damn gate. Sat on this plane tired and hungry. Unbelievable.