Newark Airport

"a great airport to avoid"

Not Verified | I got off the jetway of an SAS flight from Stockholm to Newark to Phoenix. That was the last good thing that happened at this airport. All the bad things that happened: 1) Passport Control/Customs: Huge line, took nearly an hour to get through, because half the kiosks were closed or broken and half of the agents booths were unmanned. The staff providing directions were unintelligible most of the time. 2) Baggage check: Signs directing me to transfer my bag after customs were confusing. I ended up in a line for United Air when I needed to be in another terminal. 3) Inter-terminal transportation. Train between terminals was down, and nobody could determine if it would be up any time soon. Worker yelled at people that they could walk, with no other info. 4) Signage - sucks. 5. Walk between terminals was long, over broken sidewalk. Because of that (and #3) I nearly missed my checkin. All in all, a great airport to avoid.

"TSA seemed understaffed"

Not Verified | Started with check-in. My bag was placed on the belt without my bag tag given to the agent. She initially pulled up the wrong travelers to get us checked in. TSA seemed way understaffed and very slow. Nothing was clear about what lines were what. It was very chaotic. Then nothing was open at 10am to eat except for two small coffee shop type places. Green Bean Coffee customer service was awful. The guy at checkout kept checking his phone. The breakfast sandwiches were cold and smoothies were not available but on the menu.
Date VisitJune 2019

"airport is dirty and poorly kept up"

Not Verified | To say that Newark is a "terrible airport" is a compliment. Any words to describe it are not for publishing was they are so awful and profane. The personnel are not a happy and helpful bunch. They're doing you a favor to be there. You feel that you are imposing on them. The airport is dirty and poorly kept up. The USA is the only country that I know of where luggage trollies are rented. Welcome to the USA. This is not what we are all about. Customs is a joke. They're understaffed, unfriendly and belligerent. The redcoats (non customs officials) herd and yell at you like cattle and remind me of what my grandparents told me when speaking of concentration camps. This is Newark International for better or worse. Mostly for worse.

"a terrible airport"

Not Verified | Newark is a terrible airport. From the unfriendliness of all the staff to the small boarding areas with pitiful options for food and beverage at your gate. I will never fly out of here again.
Date VisitJune 2019

"only gets worse with age"

Not Verified | My home airport for over 50 years and only gets worse with age. While they have updated the terminals over the years customer service is poor to non-existent. Recently flew back from Barcelona on Sat. 5/25/19 (holiday weekend) and trying to get through US Customs was not only a nightmare but a national disgrace. At 3pm only two (2) yes that's right 2 were on duty to check through hundreds if not thousand of flyers entering the USA. A near riot nearly broke out due to the people having to wait over 2 hours for no other reason than poor staffing. The agents on duty were slow as sap in January (apparently they deal with this low staffing all the time) and have no sense of urgency in getting folks through customs. I was told this was normal staffing levels. As an American I gotten use to poor service in public transit but it does leave a sour taste with foreigners entering the US for the first.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Worst airport in the country"

Trip Verified | This airport is always backed up and causing so many delays. They delay flights all the time for the stupidest reasons and the tsa lines are slow the drop off area is always a mess. Worst airport in the country.

"dirty, inconvenient, dated"

Trip Verified | Short and sweet here: Travelers apparently rated this the worst airport in America in 2018. That's unfair only to the extent that other airports probably don't deserve to be denigrated by even being included in the same category as Newark Liberty. It's dirty, inconvenient, dated and inefficient, staffed by a lot of incompetent and unfriendly people, and the area around it is bleak even for a generally bleak spot like northern New Jersey. They should just flatten this place and route traffic through other places that care about doing a decent job and know how to do it.

"single worst airport"

Not Verified | The single worst airport I have ever experienced. Nearly 1000 passengers entered customs at about the same time, and there were only two agents to process them. After an hour of waiting, I traipsed all over Terminal B trying to follow instructions for Baggage Control, another security check, getting to Terminal C, etc. Whoever designed the signage for Newark Liberty should be fired. Roughly three hours later I arrived at my gate to discover that they were already boarding a bus, where 50 people were stuffed shoulder to shoulder for about 20 minutes before boarding the plane. In my hours at the airport, only one employee was either kind or helpful. The others I dealt with were unbelievably rude and unhelpful. I am an older woman, and I hope I have never treated a fellow human being the way I was treated. The bottom line: if you can avoid Newark, do so at all costs. I certainly will.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Security set up is not fit for purpose"

Trip Verified | Security set up is not fit for purpose. I waited in line for one hour for security checks. There were only three aisles in operation, one for first class/priority for all international flights from terminal 2. And once through security the gates area is horrible. Restroom facilities aren’t big enough for the number of passengers (just four stalls in the men’s, with the lack of privacy and cleanliness typical of bathroom facilities in the US). Oh, and when I arrived here the other day from London I was stood in line for 2.5 hours at immigration. Just a hopeless and depressing way to enter and leave NYC. It makes London Heathrow seem positively heavenly by comparison!
Date VisitMay 2019

"Newark is an embarrassment"

Not Verified | Well, I can say at the least, Newark is an embarrassment. We arrived at terminal A, and had a connecting flight to Frankfurt, Germany. We had to navigate to terminal B, specifically gate B62. I looked up for the signage, directing me to the appropriate terminal. Terminal B was down a level, and by bus, the signs said we would be arriving. We took the elevator, as we had some carry-on luggage and the stairs looked, precarious. I could quite possibly be over-exaggerating, but we waited at this old elevator for what seemed like a solid 5 minutes, before the door opened. It was like a time warp, back to the 80's inside this elevator. We exited and saw a bus. As I approached the airport worker, I asked her if this bus went to terminal B. Very rudely, she asked me which gate. I told her gate B62. She said that this was not my bus, no bus goes to B62, and that I would have to go back up to terminal A, take a right, and another right and then I could get to terminal B. Confused because of the signs I just read, directing us to this bus, we turned around. Not wanting to wait for the slow elevator, we opted for the stairwell. The stairwell leading back to the terminal, was completely atrocious. Bird wire fencing for walls, trash, dirt and cigarette stench enveloped the narrow and steep stairs. I am not sure if they are even OSHA compliant. There was room for only one direction of travel up and down the stairs. A person walking down would have to stop, mash up against the bird wire fencing and wait for them to pass by. So we take a right and then another right, and we see a sign for terminal B and an arrow, but the "B" has been painted over, as if to signify that terminal B was not in the direction we were directed to go! We were basically leaving the airport, by following this rude airport workers' advice. I asked one of the security workers in that hallway if we could get to terminal B this way, and he rambled off on some rude tangent about can't I read the signs? Totally rude and un-helpful. Not wanting to miss our flight by leaving the terminal, we back tracked to the area we began from, in hopes to see another poorly illustrated sign. Luckily a flight attendant was sitting close by, and saw the look of confusion on our faces. She informed us that yes, we were supposed to leave the terminal, take the sky train to terminal B, gate B62. Off we went. When we got off the train, all I could see was a long line of passengers, waiting to get through security. Regrettably, we had to join that line. The line was formed with mis-matching, dated stanchions, crooked and not even wide enough to pull a carry-on through. In the back ground, all I could hear was security officers yelling and belittling passengers for having candy in their bags, over and over again. Publicly shaming these poor foreign passengers, in my country, which I love and have served and protected. I was so embarrassed. Is this how America treats people? First impression is the most important and this was a complete nightmare. Thank goodness my flight to Frankfurt was delayed, because I would not have made it home that day. We got through security and all the passengers at gate B62 were still standing in a long line, waiting to board. The entire airport was dark, dank, out dated and just rude. It was so refreshing to arrive (late) at Frankfurt, where there is order and cleanliness and polite people. Get your crap together, Newark. You are a shameful experience. Never again. Never.