New York JFK Airport

"the slowest staff ever"

Not Verified | Worst airport I’ve ever arrived into. Huge queues probably due to the slowest staff ever. Despite queues out of the door and we were there for over 2 hours, staff could be seen chatting to each other between customers (not asking for next in line due to talking) and then taking an age to process, the whole time being very unfriendly and downright rude! Worst security checks anywhere.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"security is totally unreasonable"

Not Verified | Terminal 4. The security line set up is totally unreasonable. There is one PreCheck line and no separate "CLEAR" line. The "CLEAR" machine and staff are placed at the front of TSA PreCheck line, allowing CLEAR customers to cut through the PreCheck line. Really? CLEAR has higher priority than PreCheck? If so, TSA should announce it, so people can decide to buy CLEAR instead of PreCheck. I believe the CLEAR machines and staff should be placed at the end of PreCheck line or a separate area away from the PreCheck line, so when they are confirmed CLEAR, they can get in PreCheck line like all the other PreCheck customers. I suspect CLEAR pays TSA or the airport the get their program this unofficial advantage.
Date VisitMarch 2020

"A truly awful introduction to the States"

Not Verified | Dreadful experience! Nearly 3 hour wait with two people at the desks. Humourless and arrogant staff when we were finally ‘processed’ with no hint of apology for the time we had waited. Felt like herded cattle and treated similarly. A truly awful introduction to the States.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"3 hours waiting queue"

(Jordan)

Not Verified | Worst ever arrival immigration process globally. 10h30 am arrival and only one immigration officer for the entire terminal with 3 777 planes. 3 hours waiting queue
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"Still currently stood waiting"

Not Verified | Hundreds of people awaiting to get through arrivals security. 3 out of the 12 booths on our side were open, all the rest shut. Still currently stood waiting, it's been over an hour so far.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"slow and unhelpful staff"

Trip Verified | Shocking. Ridiculously long queues with slow and unhelpful staff. Half the booths were empty meaning wait times of well over 2 hours. Worst airport I’ve ever been in. Staff treated/talked to you like animals. Arrived back in Australia in Jan 2020 a what a completely wonderful experience. I will look at flying through another airport Newark or LaGuardia as I love visiting New York.

"Rude, ignorant staff"

Not Verified | Will never ever use this airport again. Rude, ignorant staff treating people like animals, absolutely shocking. If you treat people like this you will get treated back like it. I have never witnessed so many angry pasengers. Security staff were worst of all, barking and shouting at people like they were vermin. It seems the security staff were on a power trip to see how many people they could ridicule and intimidate. If this is the way the US is going god help them.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"the lines for security were so long"

Not Verified | Absolutely despicable. I have never in my life seen an airport be so disorganised, the staff so so rude, and the lines for security were so long!! All over the world they do it so much better, JFK security is manned by power tripping morons! It took us 2 hours to get through check in and security (travelling with 5 of us, 3 children), and we missed our flight by 5 min! When we were going through security the rude arrogant lady opened every single present my children received for Christmas, opening up the toys with a screwdriver. They do this for phones, iPads, Nintendo switch! Why would they do it for a Harry Potter wand and a Star Wars droid, that I wouldn’t be surprised if it even works now, never been used! Why can’t the X-ray scanner see if there is anything inside it like all other luggage! My son was upset seeing her pull apart his droid which seemed to spur her on in her arrogance and self importance! My daughter who wears an arm brace for her recently operated on elbow gets patted down at each airport, not at JFK, they seem to think 3 different people should pat her down, then they stood there and argued about who is more important and who should’ve done it first! The arrogant self important lady who took a screwdriver to my sons toy, was more upset that she didn’t get to do the pat down than anything, taking pleasure in not only treating us and anyone around her with disrespect and contempt, but the staff that she works with as well! It took us 48min alone to just get through security. I respect the process, but it doesn’t need to be this unpleasant! After all of this the morons at security let through my sons medication which was 250ml of liquid and a pair of scissors (but thank goodness his Harry Potter wand was scrutinised for hidden things). I only know they let these things through because after missing our flight boarding (the plane was still there and the ramp just shut) we went to LeGuardia airport to wait with 3 children for 5 hours on standby and their security picked them up! But guess what, they just scanned the Star Wars droid and Harry Potter wand like any other airport in the free world. Shame on you JFK, clearly you need to invest in visiting first world airports in other major cities around the world, clone what they do, and then maybe you may measure up on the world scale! At the moment you fail dismally and are at the very bottom of the pile.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"I’ve never been treated so poorly"

Trip Verified | I live in London, but I am from New York. I feel such embarrassment when I am in this airport as a New Yorker. I have been all around the world and I’ve never been treated so poorly in an airport or had to watch others treated so terribly. The staff seem untrained. They don’t treat anyone with dignity or even minimal respect. They are rude and abrupt and won’t assist those who are confused or in need even though customs and baggage claim is a mess and horrendously confusing. I have seen actual staff snap at people asking reasonable questions or for help, downright ignoring them while socialising with colleagues, elderly people asking for assistance to be ignored. The best you are treated is someone just doing their job and acting like you don’t exist. For example, taking your bag from you at recheck without a word, checking your passport but looking right through you like you’re not there without even a hello or smile or even a nod. I had a 5 hour layover and they didn’t manage to get my luggage to my next flight on Time. It’s such a sad, sad state. Positives are I had a wonderful waiter at a restaurant and they have water bottle refill stations. Also some decent shops. Just doesn’t make up for the other very upsetting bits and how uncomfortable I felt. Unfortunate as it’s such a great city, but avoid this airport at all costs.

"Ridiculously long queues"

Not Verified | Terrible. Ridiculously long queues with slow and unhelpful staff. Half the booths were empty meaning wait times of well over 2 hours. Worst airport I’ve ever been in.