New York JFK Airport

"the worst arrivals experience"

Not Verified | 1hr 30mins to clear passport control even with the automated system. Without doubt the worst arrivals experience I have had. Totally unacceptable that there were only 2 border control officers for the whole of international arrivals.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"The experience was terrible"

Not Verified | I was extremely disappointed in the customer service at JFK airport. I had numerous encounters where staff/individuals were unwilling to assist with questions, I was told different agents to see, multiple numbers to call, I was told to not step up to a counter without being “told” by agent and then told to step up and fill in gaps when there were gaps in TSA lines - I assimilated this experience with being a cattle in a barnyard - quite inhuman. The experience was terrible and I will go to great lengths to not fly through the airport in the future. Lastly the personnel gives your city and our nation a bad image for visitors and I hope you think about how to train staff in a more effective manner.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Terminal 2 needs a complete makeover"

Not Verified | Amazing, I felt like I was in some under-resourced country: old rusty bathrooms, broken escalator, insufficient seating, crowded, terrible food choices for high prices. Terminal 2 needs a complete makeover!

"Rude, incompetent staff"

Not Verified | Absolutely awful. Rude, incompetent staff who were scruffy, sour faced and unhelpful and who were screaming unintelligible instructions to confused passengers of all ages. Endless snaking lines, absolute chaos. I have travelled extensively and have never, ever seen such a disgusting airport and staff. (perhaps the exception here is La Guardia Airport) How can New York put up with this being the first impression international travelers get when they arrive in the United States? A disgusting experience all in all.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"this is an embarrassment"

Trip Verified | I’m almost speechless. For an international airport this is an embarrassment. We flew from Terminal 7 and I would recommend everyone avoid if they can. Filthy, cramped, disgusting toilets, and the limited selection of hugely overpriced and underwhelming food is laughable, particularly the utterly nonsensical ordering system which involves not one trip to a cashier but 3. WiFi impossible to connect to, very limited selection of shops to pass the time in & staff rushed and rude. I thought Frankfurt airport was bad but this is on a level if not worse.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"failed to have enough staff"

Not Verified | The US Customs failed to have enough staff to move people through causing my wife and our one year old son to miss their connecting flight to CLT airport. Then had to wait longer do to Delta airlines aircraft problem.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"appalled at the rudeness of one member of staff"

Not Verified | Terminal 4 is appalling. We arrived from Manchester and queued 1 and a half hours to get through immigration. After a 7 hour flight this really is not ideal. I witnessed one lady member of staff whilst directing people as to which queue they should go in, talking to and pulling facial expressions which were totally unacceptable. When we departed to go back to the UK I was absolutely appalled at the rudeness of one member of staff. We were taken 2 floors down to an alternative security area (due to the security area in departures being too busy). The organisation was ridiculous. One lady spoke to my 2 teenage sons in a totally disrespectful and rude manner. Totally uncalled for. She spoke to them like they were stupid - they are far from stupid. I am annoyed with myself for not saying anything at the time, however, I was stunned and also in the position of possibly affecting our ability to board the flight had I confronted her. The staff in this airport are rude.

"One of the worst"

Not Verified | One of the worst airports ever. Staff are extremely unfriendly and the queues last forever. They are so inefficiënt. Airport taxes are high, and for what? Food courts are far too expensive. I hated the experience.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"food prices are a disgrace"

Not Verified | Food prices are a complete and utter disgrace. Water over $4. One banana costs $1.99. Terminal size is poky. No decent shopping. Will never return via this airport - amazed at such poor facilities servicing one of the busiest cities in the world. Once again food prices are a disgrace.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"terminal to terminal is a hassle"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | I arrived at JFK from Manila on a Philippine Airlines flight in May 2019, used it for both arrival and departure on JetBlue in June 2019, and then used it for transit from a JetBlue flight to a Philippine Airlines flight in July 2019. Sure, you can get to this airport from seemingly anywhere around the world, and it services the exciting city of New York. The TSA agents typically are surprisingly decent too. And check-in staff are usually pretty nice. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the extent of the positives about this airport. Upon arrival in Terminal 1, I was greeted by a customs and immigration facility that appeared to be under construction. It looked awful - all torn up! A passport control officer was basically just waving all of us in the U.S. Citizens line through while wishing us a good one. It seemed to take a really long time for luggage to arrive on the carousel. I don't mean my luggage personally. I mean anyone's luggage! Meanwhile, staff informed my parents (who were picking me up there) that everyone from our flight had already exited customs - when none of us had yet! My first flight into JFK on JetBlue was delayed. My flight out of JFK on JetBlue was delayed. My flight back to JFK on JetBlue was delayed. I think the only reason my flight back to Manila on Philippine Airlines was NOT delayed was that it took off at 3:45 A.M., when no one else was flying out of the airport! Transiting from terminal to terminal is a hassle, too. It requires exiting your first terminal, walking down a seemingly endless hallway to the AirTrain, taking the AirTrain to your second terminal's stop, and then walking down another seemingly endless hallway to that terminal proper. Then, of course, because you're coming in from outside the secure area, you have to go through security all over again! As for food and beverage outlets, most appear to range from relatively expensive to borderline price gouging. One very notable exception was the Dunkin' Donuts landside in Terminal 1. It appears to be the only dining option available 24 hours, and so it was the only place I could use my $20 meal voucher landside, since my flight departed in the middle of the night. At Dunkin' Donuts, I was informed that if I was going to use my meal voucher, then I had to spend at least $20. I was astonished! I struggled to manage to buy $20 worth of food and drink there. I made myself sick. I still do not understand why they would not accept the voucher for a smaller amount. It's not like they would be losing money on the deal! Add to all of this restrooms which are often not very clean and with sensors which automatically turn on sink faucets when you're nowhere near them (but don't turn on when you are near them). Finally, there's the issue of the airport's being quite far from Manhattan. I've heard LaGuardia and Newark are even worse. If so, then heaven help the people who fly out of there!
Date VisitJuly 2019