New York JFK Airport

"queue times were awful"

Not Verified | The most rude and unfriendly staff I've ever encountered anywhere in the world. I never write reviews but I was so disgusted by the way the staff at this airport spoke to customers, I feel I need to. The queue times were awful and it was hot and crowded. Avoid this airport if possible!!

"Employees are unfriendly"

WiFi is erratic, unpredictable and largely unavailable. Employees are unfriendly. Eye contact by frontline customer service from airlines, airport to security seems taboo. Port Authority, you can do better. Benchmark yourself against the top global airports. NYC is a global city.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"very poorly placed signs"

Trip Verified | We had our return flight from terminal 4. While looking for where to queue for security (very poorly placed signs), one airport staff member called us and asked for our boarding passes. My husband asked him if the queue was for economy passengers (because the sign read for first and business class passengers only), this person replied ‘I am not here to answer your questions, show me your boarding pass’, taken aback by his rude reply my husband opened the bag to take out the passes, then this man started shouting ‘Don’t hold the line’ again and again in the most disrespectful manner possible. All this shouting and rude language was in the presence of our 4 year old child. Finally, we were in queue for security check. He was, without doubt, the most disrespectful staff member we have ever encountered having travelled across Europe, Asia and America. He needed training on usage of basic words like ‘please’ and ‘thank you’. Avoid this airport if possible. We have head of similar experiences from others and negative comments about behaviour of staff at this airport. They should take tips from British airport staff.

"airport is expensive"

(Hungary)

Trip Verified | I went from the city center to the Airport by subway. It is a long journey, but cheap. The JFK is a very large airport. You have to leave time for everything. The directions are good. The checkin is relative fast. The airport is expensive. The walk way is long. Our plane waited about 40 minutes to take off
Date VisitNovember 2018

"staff treat passengers as cattle"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | Arrived 2.5 hours early. When we got to the check in desk we were told we had to get our hand luggage 'cleared'. This is prior to check-in. The line took 45 minutes, and then we were told that our hand luggage was too big and heavy. The bags were even ligher than when we traveled to the US. Ridiculous. Had to pay 100$ per bag after standing in another line for 1 hour. When we got angry, the JFK staff removed 100$ from the total. Which means it’s all utterly rubbish fees from the beginning. We traveled with Norweigan and I will never in my life fly with them or pass JFK again. The staff treat passengers as cattle. If travelling from/to Sweden, book SAS. It’s worth every dollar to travel with an airline who treats you respectfully - and used Newark instead. We got to JFK 2.5 hours early, and we nearly missed our flight.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"staff friendly and smiley"

Not Verified | Return flight by BA to Gatwick on late Thursday night, no queues at booking in and straight through at security. All staff friendly and smiley. Airport clean and plenty of available seating. This review only applies to terminal 7.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"4 hours not enough for connecting"

(Sweden)

Not Verified | My first time in the US ever. A scary first impression. 4 hours is not enough for connecting another plane. You wait and wait and wait for no reason. Terrible. Bad attitude among staff. I think this is the worst experience ever
Date VisitNovember 2018

"staff seemed tired and aloof"

Trip Verified | Arrived JFK terminal 1 from Rome, Italy. Customs was under staffed and funneled the passengers from other flights to accommodate the overload into very crowded checkpoints. In all fairness, the process worked satisfactorily-just very much slower. We had KTN's (Known Traveler Numbers) through the TSA (Transportation Safety Administration), but the agents in Terminal 2, after pre-check, though polite, were very invasive and unapologetic during personal scanning/'patting procedure'. It was excessive! The Delta Sky Harbor Lounge was off limits to us because we did not have American Express Gold, Platinum, or Titanium credentials! It was the third such lounge in our itinerary and it failed! The staff seemed tired and aloof. The other two (Air France in Terminal 5 ORD and Alitalia in FCO) lounges in the Delta network were AAA+ Very confusing exiting terminal 1 to get to terminal 2 at JFK.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Staff lacking in basic people skills"

Not Verified | Departing from terminal 5 with my four children was going well, got through security without a problem. On our way to the Aer Lingus lounge in the terminal my youngest son and I stopped for a moment to check information when all of a sudden an airport staff member pushing a lady in a wheelchair almost ran into us with no warning or "excuse me". As I am an extremely polite person I quickly moved with my son and said sorry twice for being in the way, this staff member could very easily have gone around us anyway. As soon as we moved we didn't get a basic thanks instead this "man" called me an idiot in front of my son. This experience tainted my flying from JFK and annoys me to have been subjected to such ignorance and uncouth behaviour, in my opinion there should a complaints procedure which could highlight cases such as this. Staff lacking in basic people skills should be taken in hand and penalised.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Worst airport I've ever visited"

(Belgium)

Not Verified | Worst airport I've ever visited. Its old, disorganised and very disrespectful to its passengers. Our flight had a 4 hour delay, it was really overcrowded and people had to sit on the floors.