Nadi Airport

"It was very slow"

Trip Verified | Nadi airport was very busy when we arrived. We had to use steps to exit the plane and then walk a way. Three international flights landed so immigration was very crowded. Many people with children and elderly having to line up for some time. It was very slow. Some passengers must have had issues as some were with agents for a long time. Shame these are not dealt with separately. Bags were already there by the time we got through. Then we headed towards car rental to get our SIM card. F$49 card saw our whole trip through. (digicel). Departing was ok. Note there are only two options to eat landslde but far more airside. Also if you buy water airside they will bag it so it is ready as you board the flight as your bags get searched before boarding.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"airport doesn't have a lot of the "Bula!" spirit"

Trip Verified | Nadi is a fine airport in some ways, and an airport in need of even more significant improvements in other ways. After flying in and out twice, I'm glad to see this small airport mostly modernized (at least the lobby and check-in areas), and looking very beautiful. This is a reflection of the success of Fiji's tourism industry, and the welcoming face that Fiji wants to portray for tourists. Check-in was not a challenge at all. Going through customs and immigration, leaving the airport briefly, then going back through security pre-gate were no problem. The signage to shuttle buses, taxis and public buses could still stand to be improved, but the airport was so small that I found where I was going. A bus pass can be bought for $5 (Fijian dollars), and a bus can be taken into central Nadi for less than ($2 USD). Connecting to your next flight should be no issue, as, like I said, going through customs is no problem (as long as you don't have anything significant to declare). Now, there are some cons. First of all, there's only one gift shop thingy I can remember post-security, and their prices are as high or higher on some products than you'd pay in the USA, Australia, or New Zealand. They have a monopoly! Second, staff in said gift shop don't seem to care if you fall over dead, as long as they get their money, as that's obvious in their attitudes. Third, security personnel have this stupid policy where they check carry-on bags AT the gate as planes are being boarded, without warning. They don't want any "unauthorized" liquids to be brought on, which means that even your carry-on-friendly toiletries better be in Ziploc bags (thankfully, mine were), and they'll confiscate your $4.00+ drink bottle that you bought in that unfriendly gift shop for "security reasons." Yeah, I echo the sentiments of some other travelers who have posted in saying, "That's stupid!" Fourth, their Wi-Fi ranges from pathetic to non-existing. In all, I'd far rather fly into and out of Nadi than a lot of major hub airports in the USA, but for an otherwise very welcoming Fijian people and culture, this airport doesn't have a lot of the "Bula!" spirit.

"security was ridiculous"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | The custom security was ridiculous! Traps everywhere! Started with the custom security who was asking for the little zip bag for small items, where we only had a lipstick. The security was very “nice” to advise the bag cost 50 cents from the shop next to the checkpoint. When we went there to buy, we were told there was a minimum spend of $5. Walked around the shop, nothing is $5. Then we bought the cheapest item of $7.95, plus the 50 cents, plus 2.5% transaction fee, ended up spending almost $10. No other country’s security actually have this kind of requirement. Fiji is the place for tourism to be 'shaved' by the locals. Be careful!
Date VisitNovember 2019

"the worst airport I have travelled through"

(New Zealand)

Not Verified | Arriving into Nadi airport was no problem at all however departing was quite ridiculous with the rules they have in place and procedures. Before checking in, we were stopped by a security agent at her post, who wanted to see our passports and ask us some TSA questions which is fine! However she asked if I had an itinerary for the both of us which I had luckily printed but didn’t expect for it to be needed at that time as all you usually need to check in to any airport is a passport and she wasn’t even a check in agent. So that was a hassle and waste of time? Check in process was fine once we were done with the security agent. However going through security screening was annoying! They had pulled me aside for a small hand sanitiser I had in my bag and a roll on. I’ve travelled through so many airports where it is okay to have these items not in a bag as well as a lip balm. But these guys just seemed bored and wanted to make it a big deal. Luckily there was a little toiletry bag attached to my suitcase that they put it in but it was very unnecessary and wasted my time. I’ve also read that they won’t let you take duty free products through from another country even if it’s in those security bags provided in other countries? This is the only airport I know that does this and it is ridiculous! This is the worst airport I have travelled through.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"felt like a nuisance"

Not Verified | We were flying back to Sydney and spent time in the shops and food hall. We realised as soon as we had entered the “bula” warmth had disappeared and I felt like I was back home. The food was good but staff were indifferent and had no pleasantness. I then spent quite a bit of time walking around the shops and although we were approached constantly by perfume staff when I finally made purchases in the general shops there was no greeting or conversation at all. Where do they get their staff? The holiday was truly over then and I felt like a nuisance who was there just to get the purchase over with. These staff members looked bored and disinterested and talked amongst themselves-very disappointing end to the trip.
Date VisitJune 2019

"They confiscated them"

Trip Verified | Don't pack a plastic knife in your cabin luggage. Nor a fork. I had some unbreakable ones that I've traveled with for years all over the world. They confiscated them. Legal in the US and in the other 50 countries I've visited. Not here. Terrible.
Date VisitMay 2019

"Entering the airport is welcoming"

Trip Verified | Entering the airport is welcoming with the Fijian men singing and playing the ukulele. It was a stop over from Sydney to LA, we brought some water and some make up in the duty free area and waited for our flight. We had already gone through customs and to get on the flight they took our water off us but were okay with the makeup (not being in a zip lock bag)? LA Customs did not confiscate our duty free items either. On our fight from LA to Sydney, I brought some duty free products - US $78 foundation and a US$120 anti ageing serum. Again, we stop over in Fiji and go through customs. I get told to throw out my $200US worth of duty free products brought in LA customs! I was shocked because on the previous stop over there was no issues. She said that if my duty free was in a zip lock bag than I could keep it? Yet, my toothpaste was open and not in a zip lock bag and that was okay. So rather than handing the items over to throw in the bin I cracked the lids and went to put them in the bin ensuring the lady couldn't use them. She was not happy. Do not buy anything in Fiji customs and put everything undercarriage. Buy your duty free in Australia or the country you are staying in - not here. Fiji Airlines staff were great and the airline was great also.
Date VisitJanuary 2019

"Absolutely fantastic airport"

(Fiji)

Trip Verified | Absolutely fantastic airport, I fly out of here often and have never been disappointed. The upgrade done to the terminal has added aesthetic value to Nadi. I love flying out of here because even if you are flying domestic you have about 4 options to grab something to eat. I am not sure what it is like in International Departure at the moment, the last time I flew there were only 2 once inside but outside you have Burger King, a high end cafe and two budget cafes. The staff here are friendly and very helpful, they try their best to ensure travellers do not face any kind of inconvenience. I believe there is still some work left to be done, especially in the Domestic Terminal, can't wait for that to eventuate.

"Worst experience"

Not Verified | The security staff threw away my expensive toiletries because it was not in a zip lock. I had several transparent bags but refused to accept it. Only ziplock bags need to be used. Totally no common sense. They claim Fijians as very hospitable people. I experienced totally opposite. They enforce ziplock bags but do not offer them for transit passengers. I went through several airports during my travel not a single airport behaved this way. I will not travel to Fiji or through Fiji in my life. Worst experience.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"it leaves a bad taste in your mouth"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | The fact they charge you and make every person have a clear ziplock bag is a joke. They should stop doing this as they are the only airport in the world doing this. The security before you even enter the departure customs area does not let you go through unless you go to the store to purchase a ziplock bag. When I reached the X-ray screening they were even sending passengers back to the store to buy a ziplock bag! The few liquids I had were less than 100mls and in a small toiletry bag which I just put the entire toiletry bag in the ziplock bag to see what customs would say. They stopped my carry on bag through the X-ray screening and when they saw the ziplock bag they did not even bother to check the contents of my toiletry bag. It seems to me they just want people to buy the ziplock bag from their store (nowhere else in the world does this). If I forget to use a clear toiletry bag in my carry on which I have many times, quite often my bag will not be stopped at the X-ray and if it is customs will just check the contents and that’s it. They will not say I must make sure I have to use a clear ziplock bag and this is in Europe and USA. Fiji airport you need to change this as it leaves a bad taste in your mouth after a pleasant holiday there. I have seen other complaints of the same nature!
Date VisitMarch 2018