Mumbai Airport

"Overall bad experience"

Not Verified | Arrival: Arrived Mumbai international airport and the immigration area was absolutely packed with thousands of people. That in itself is a huge security hazard. Jet Airways didn't give us immigration forms on the flight and many travelers were scrambling to get the forms. Personnel at the airport behaved as if all of the travelers were criminals. People in the immigration booths were equally rude and unhelpful, must be the extreme levels of crowds arriving constantly. Overall bad experience. Departure: We arrived at the airport around five hours before departure time and thought we would have time to relax before the flight. Boy were we in for a rude awakening! Jet Airways baggage checking was a nightmare. We were in line for 2 hours 20 minutes (yeah that is right 2hr:20mins) just to check in our bags. Next it took 45 minutes to do security scan of our carry on bags. Next it was immigration check which seems like we reached Kumbhmela. We had to beg people to move ahead in the ever winding lines of people with frayed nerves. Still it took well above an hour and half to clear out of that hell. We barely reached the gate just in time. Two things we learned: Avoid flying via Mumbai and Avoid Jet Airways. I did travel to India on business trip recently and absolutely followed lessons learned. Flew to Hyderabad on British Airways. What a difference.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"only 1 working for Indian nationals"

Trip Verified | More than 33 immigration counters, only 1 working for Indian nationals, really frustrating. More time is passed while taking immigration checks than expected, long queues are really disturbing to the new airport. Should have auto check at least for Indian nationals and question is why more than 30 counters are without officers - now 1pm, 15th March 2018, Terminal 2.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Security were extremely unhelpful"

(South Africa)

Not Verified | Bought a beer at the cafe as you pass through customs after duty free, $15 for a Kingfisher bottle of beer was a disgrace. Arrived from Goa en route Dubai. Security were extremely unhelpful as I didn’t have hard copy of ticket and my phone battery was flat.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"forced to exit the arrivals"

(Cyprus)

Trip Verified | Coming from Bhuj trying to go to Delhi (i.e domestic transit). It should be noted that during this transit the flight number was kept the same. Cons - On a tight domestic interchange flight, we were forced to exit the arrivals and enter again at the departures (security checks and passport controls all the way from the beginning like we had just arrived at the airport). Ground staff were not informed about the nominated gate. Pros - The flight was delayed due to late arrival of the airplane (presume that this was intentionally).
Date VisitMarch 2018

"many of them were closed"

Trip Verified | My flight was at 9.25am, we arrived at the airport at 5.00am to check-in, which was easily done. We then wanted to eat at a restaurant, but many of them were closed and were not going to be open until 8.00am by which time we were supposed to be at our departure gate. It would be great if the restaurants were open and were serving food at least two hours before our departure.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Excellent experience with the staff at airport"

Not Verified | I have to commend the very honest and respectable staff of Mumbai airport. My wife had lost her wallet containing $700. The security staff quickly reviewed all the cctv footage. She had dropped it at one of the counters. The cleaning staff picked it up, depositied it with the lost and found. They hadn’t touched a single dollar. IN fact, when we tried to give them a monetary reward, they refused saying they were just doing their job. Furthermore, they even accompanied us all the way to our flight to avoid us missing the flight because of the delay. Excellent experience with the staff at airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"the counters were inadequately staffed"

Trip Verified | With so many "digital" engineers lurking in the undergrowth, why are Indian airports such frustrating experiences? Many reviews of Mumbai (BOM in old money) have been seduced by the modern architecture of Terminal 2, and the availability of shops and food outlets (who sting you at European high-street prices). But what is the key performance function of an airport? Surely to flow passengers and their baggage in two opposite directions: kerbside to aircraft and aircraft to kerbside? Everything else is just icing. And in this, BOM fails miserably. Is it the quality of the staff employed and the quality of their training? Possibly! Is it the complete lack of accountability of the leadership, both the management and the government authorities who lay down the rules? I suggest these are more likely culprits. On arrival at the immigration desks after a long, overnight flight from London, it was clear that the counters were inadequately staffed. Did anyone with a leadership role care? Could they do something about it if they did? I doubt it on both counts. I felt sorry for the font-line staff who were trying to cope. There were several categories of queues: Indian citizens, OCI/PIO card holders, Diplomats, and also desks for wheel-chaired passenger all of which were closed. Closed, even though Mumbai seems to have more than the average number of passengers with mobility problems. As a result, people managing the queues were trying to move passengers from one queue to another as that category built up. A course in queuing theory for the leadership might help, but only if they then understood the need to stay in touch with, and have a visceral knowledge of how to improve the passenger flows through their airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"stop delaying every flight"

Not Verified | I travel every month. And irrespective of which airline I book my ticket thorugh, it's always late and I realised it's because of the airport controls. Mumbai is such an important and big airport with international as well as domestic flight every minute, either departing or arriving and it still has just one runway. We as customers pay a lot just to reach a place faster and on time but this is unreasonable to wait for hours for the flight to take off. Either give a proper time slot or stop delaying every flight, everyday.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"Some of the rudest people"

Trip Verified | Some of the rudest people I have experienced. Currency exchange was so rude because I tried to exchange before acquiring my boarding pass. Then missed the business class check in which resulted in a rude turnaround for not having my boarding pass stamped. Once I got it stamped I moved to final security check and was treated with such distain that holding my temper was a true challenge. Air Canada check in personnel were professional and very polite. The others however made me feel terrible. No amount of beautiful structure, wonderful shops and glorious quiet, all of which occur here can make up for sheer rudeness.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"a slow and annoying process"

Not Verified | Airport security, as at all Indian airports, is completely ridiculous here. Way too many checks at illogical locations, slowest check-in process I have witnessed anywhere in the world and the security and immigration just seem to believe that doing things slow automatically means it's good. All of this causes long lines and a slow and annoying process, without increasing security as compared to European airports. Allowing WiFi only to travellers with an Indian phone number is very unfriendly to foreigners.
Date VisitJanuary 2018