Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport

(Japan)

My arrival and departure form this airport was a surreal experience which is why this review is so complementary. On arrival from Tokyo Narita the plane was not parked at a gate. As we left the plane I saw someone waiting with a board with my name on it and I was ushered into a car. We drove in silence around the airport arrived at some unmarked gates and I was led into a hotel lounge and told to sit down and relax. There was a bar and food was also available. An immigration officer requested my passport and later came over and returned it to me. My luggage tag was requested and eventually luggage appeared. Friends who were meeting me appeared and we drove into Moscow. This lounge was full of people and I was told that there were four such VIP lounges in the airport. The return trip was equally surreal. Mercedes is the preferred transportation vehicle and we duly arrived at the double doors. This time there was a short walk to the hotel lounge. My e-ticket was somewhere in my luggage but it was never requested. I was told that with this way of passing through the airport one did not need a ticket. A little while later another vehicle took me to the gate. A stern official gave me my boarding pass and wished me a good flight - and I found that had been upgraded. So I found Sheremetyevo a wonderful airport but this clearly depends on the type of invitation you receive to enter Russia.

(Ukraine)

Arrived in the old terminal F to long walk from the plane around the whole departing area crossing paths with departing passengers going to their gates. Immigration took about 10 minutes to clear. Overall ambience of terminal F wouldn't inspire you. Toilets clean. Going to Aeroexpress train I passed the new terminals e and d. Both looked clean and bright despite construction there and here. Aeroexpress terminal was also clean and good looking with nice food options. The train to the city was clean and on time - but they refuse to accept plastic cards if you buy combined ticket for train and underground. Cash only. So visit ATM first.

(New Zealand)

I swore after my first trip to Russia that I would never use this airport again but unfortunately I had to use it three times on this trip (domestic only so not having to transfer may have been a bonus). At least the AeroExpress from the city is a big plus but despite what is advertised the free bus transfer works only one way - it's provided by the airport so travels inside the security perimeter to the domestic terminals. Of course when you arrive on a domestic flight you end up outside the terminal and therefore outside the secure area so you have to get the marshrutki shuttle (60 roubles) back to the AeroExpress terminal. Security and check-in for my first flight was very quck and easy and I thought that perhaps things had improved in the last four years. That impression was very quickly ruined by my second visit - baggage took 40 minutes to arrive causing me to miss check-in for my connecting flight. AviaNova staff moved mountains to get me on the plane but it meant going through security 3 times with all the rigmarole of shoes off and on even though the security staff had already seen me go through the next scanner 10 metres away and then out of their own secure zone! At least there is now no smoking in the "No Smoking" area of the departure lounge. To top it all off when I arrived on my last flight the baggage was on the carousel when we got into the terminal - talk about Jekyll and Hyde!

(Italy)

Sheremetyevo is the worst international airport in the world. Terminal F is always in the old Soviet-style without air conditioning system. Communication isn't one of their strong point. Ads in English are very hard to understand. If you aren't Russian everybody ignore you. Only two shops throughout the airport accept euros and orders are rude to all western people.

(Spain)

Aeroflot is too optimistic about transfers in Sheremetyevo. A two and a half houres could not be enough if you have to change terminals. Wait in the plane for the bus queue for control when you drop queue for control when you exit queue to control again when you arrive in new terminal and queue to boarding. Added with staff that never knos the answer. Maybe the worst airport I've been in a long time.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

The old terminal 2 (now F) remains its dismal soviet self but new terminals are great. Terminal D has a children's play room like a self-service daycare center. The prices at restaurants are still sky-high but at least now it gets you tasty food. One of the nicer and more helpful airports I've traveled through.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

Numerous airport workers have no clue of what is going on. No one can answer your questions. They only scream at you for asking. You have to stand in line for hours to get a boarding pass to go through passport control to go through security even to get to your gate. And what happened to chairs - there is no place to sit. Be aware of russian taxi drivers - they lie if you don't know the exchange rate. We were travelling transit from terminal B to terminal F and when we asked for a free transportation between terminals (like in any other normal airport) we got laughed at. Then the taxi driver tried to charge us three times the rate to drive us from one terminal to another.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

Words really cannot express how awful this place is. There are two terminals one new and the other a dingy concrete warren. But the buildings aren't really the major players in what makes this airport so appalling. It's the organisation and the staff. You will be shouted at incessantly made to stand in tight corners made to follow staff for no clear reason and left by toilets stairs outside doors expected to crowd together in tiny spaces to 'queue' for transfer as staff yell city names and drag confused travellers through the crowd and then taken a different route pulled through endless puzzling security gates abandoned on buses for ages. I will do everything I possibly can to avoid ever seeing this airport again!

(Azerbaijan)

SVO Terminal F (old Terminal SVO2) - the worst airport terminal. Half of shops are closed prices in cafes are higher than in London High Street Cafes - no money exchange facilities for currencies other than EUR and USD so having enough money in GBP in your pockets you have to ask bartenders or shop assistants to change you GBP to USD or Roubles by very bad rate. SVO Terminal D new terminal - terminal is brand new and no duty free shops were operating at that time cafes were selling foods only for Roubles. Also no money exchange facilities were available. Seats for waiting passengers were not comfortable with partitions so had to sleep in the floor while waiting for the connection flight after 5 hrs - only positive side was toilets which were new and clean.

(New Zealand)

We were leaving from Moscow to Auckland via Hong Kong and our only choice was Sheremetyevo. This airport is a real shambles. We arrived at around 7:30pm local time to check into our flight. Staff are impatient and have no idea what they are really doing. The whole airport looks more like a cave and I look forward to when the new terminal will open. Passport control is the next marathon. Warning - block your ears when the officer stamps your passport. His/ her aim is too scare you with the loud bang on the passport. After passing control we had some time to look about in the airport. This is boring. Seriously half of the shops are not even open and cafes sell food at rip-off prices. After a while our flight was boarding. Security check is a pain. There is one x-ray for two gates and while our flight was boarding another flight was boarding in the other gate so this meant queues. Big ones. So big that we nearly missed our flight. So when we board our flight is cancelled because a dodgy Ilyushin can't get it's engines to work properly. This meant that everyone had to get off and wait till another plane was available. The airport gave us coupons to buy food with but in the whole of the airport two only two cafes/restaurants we're open. So we had to wait till the plane fed us. Staff didn't tell us anything at all so we used newspapers laid them on the floor and went to sleep.3 hours later the grumpy staff finally announced that there was a plane available and everyone boarded.