Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport

(New Zealand)

I swore after my first trip to Russia that I would never use this airport again but unfortunately I had to use it three times on this trip (domestic only so not having to transfer may have been a bonus). At least the AeroExpress from the city is a big plus but despite what is advertised the free bus transfer works only one way - it's provided by the airport so travels inside the security perimeter to the domestic terminals. Of course when you arrive on a domestic flight you end up outside the terminal and therefore outside the secure area so you have to get the marshrutki shuttle (60 roubles) back to the AeroExpress terminal. Security and check-in for my first flight was very quck and easy and I thought that perhaps things had improved in the last four years. That impression was very quickly ruined by my second visit - baggage took 40 minutes to arrive causing me to miss check-in for my connecting flight. AviaNova staff moved mountains to get me on the plane but it meant going through security 3 times with all the rigmarole of shoes off and on even though the security staff had already seen me go through the next scanner 10 metres away and then out of their own secure zone! At least there is now no smoking in the "No Smoking" area of the departure lounge. To top it all off when I arrived on my last flight the baggage was on the carousel when we got into the terminal - talk about Jekyll and Hyde!

(Italy)

Sheremetyevo is the worst international airport in the world. Terminal F is always in the old Soviet-style without air conditioning system. Communication isn't one of their strong point. Ads in English are very hard to understand. If you aren't Russian everybody ignore you. Only two shops throughout the airport accept euros and orders are rude to all western people.

(Spain)

Aeroflot is too optimistic about transfers in Sheremetyevo. A two and a half houres could not be enough if you have to change terminals. Wait in the plane for the bus queue for control when you drop queue for control when you exit queue to control again when you arrive in new terminal and queue to boarding. Added with staff that never knos the answer. Maybe the worst airport I've been in a long time.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

The old terminal 2 (now F) remains its dismal soviet self but new terminals are great. Terminal D has a children's play room like a self-service daycare center. The prices at restaurants are still sky-high but at least now it gets you tasty food. One of the nicer and more helpful airports I've traveled through.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

Numerous airport workers have no clue of what is going on. No one can answer your questions. They only scream at you for asking. You have to stand in line for hours to get a boarding pass to go through passport control to go through security even to get to your gate. And what happened to chairs - there is no place to sit. Be aware of russian taxi drivers - they lie if you don't know the exchange rate. We were travelling transit from terminal B to terminal F and when we asked for a free transportation between terminals (like in any other normal airport) we got laughed at. Then the taxi driver tried to charge us three times the rate to drive us from one terminal to another.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

Words really cannot express how awful this place is. There are two terminals one new and the other a dingy concrete warren. But the buildings aren't really the major players in what makes this airport so appalling. It's the organisation and the staff. You will be shouted at incessantly made to stand in tight corners made to follow staff for no clear reason and left by toilets stairs outside doors expected to crowd together in tiny spaces to 'queue' for transfer as staff yell city names and drag confused travellers through the crowd and then taken a different route pulled through endless puzzling security gates abandoned on buses for ages. I will do everything I possibly can to avoid ever seeing this airport again!

(Azerbaijan)

SVO Terminal F (old Terminal SVO2) - the worst airport terminal. Half of shops are closed prices in cafes are higher than in London High Street Cafes - no money exchange facilities for currencies other than EUR and USD so having enough money in GBP in your pockets you have to ask bartenders or shop assistants to change you GBP to USD or Roubles by very bad rate. SVO Terminal D new terminal - terminal is brand new and no duty free shops were operating at that time cafes were selling foods only for Roubles. Also no money exchange facilities were available. Seats for waiting passengers were not comfortable with partitions so had to sleep in the floor while waiting for the connection flight after 5 hrs - only positive side was toilets which were new and clean.

(New Zealand)

We were leaving from Moscow to Auckland via Hong Kong and our only choice was Sheremetyevo. This airport is a real shambles. We arrived at around 7:30pm local time to check into our flight. Staff are impatient and have no idea what they are really doing. The whole airport looks more like a cave and I look forward to when the new terminal will open. Passport control is the next marathon. Warning - block your ears when the officer stamps your passport. His/ her aim is too scare you with the loud bang on the passport. After passing control we had some time to look about in the airport. This is boring. Seriously half of the shops are not even open and cafes sell food at rip-off prices. After a while our flight was boarding. Security check is a pain. There is one x-ray for two gates and while our flight was boarding another flight was boarding in the other gate so this meant queues. Big ones. So big that we nearly missed our flight. So when we board our flight is cancelled because a dodgy Ilyushin can't get it's engines to work properly. This meant that everyone had to get off and wait till another plane was available. The airport gave us coupons to buy food with but in the whole of the airport two only two cafes/restaurants we're open. So we had to wait till the plane fed us. Staff didn't tell us anything at all so we used newspapers laid them on the floor and went to sleep.3 hours later the grumpy staff finally announced that there was a plane available and everyone boarded.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

I stayed in SVO twice while in route to and from Hanoi once in terminal F (SVO-2) and once in F being transferred to D (SVO-3). There is a world of difference between both. Terminal F is quite unclean and lacks services but in exchange there are many benches some of them in quite areas where you can stretch and take a good nap. There is plenty of space to camp in the second floor where no one ever goes for anything else. Proof of that is that there are several homeless people or stranded immigrants living there. In general it has the same quality that you would expect in a rail station if you would be backpacking on the cheap. Knowing that I had a long stopover I packed plenty of good food which was a great decision since the available one at the airport is bad expensive and you need to manage to pay in roubles (the ATMs usually don't work). In addition to that there are huge queues for any process and you will be required to do things by staff that won't identify themselves or explain why you need to do what they require. You will be asked to hand your boarding pass your passport you will be asked to follow them to any other place (don't lose sight of them or you are screwed). No one will tell you why your flight is delayed or when will it really fly. You will be boarded onto buses and forgotten in a parking lot for half an hour. The passport check process in terminal F was hilarious in its slowness and unefficiency. Amazingly in the end they will manage to get you into the flight unlikely enough they seem to have some kind of control below the chaotic mess. The new terminal D is much nicer clean and more staffed. It doesn't have many services yet and you are likely to have the same problems than in terminal F regarding being herded without explanation from one side to another. One important thing to take into account is that travelling business won't make any difference to all the previous issues. In my first time in SVO my flight was delayed for 13 hours so at the end they sent us to a hotel. Aeroflot had arranged only for double rooms and single travellers were asked to find someone to share a room with. The only business traveller was not happy with having paid $3000 to share a hotel room with a stranger and the result is that she had to wait until everyone else got a room and fight hard with the hotel personnel to finally be granted a single room around 2am. I chose this airport for my trip because Aeroflot was the cheapest option by a 25% and the trip back was really convenient. I don't think I would risk it again with a short transfer time I would be scared of getting lost or stuck in a queue and if the staff is not aware I could join the homeless people in the second floor and a long transfer time is never good much less in SVO. From my second trip I think 3h is a reasonable transfer time for this airport. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't hard enough to stand soviet style travel conditions. Otherwise give it a try you could have stories to scare other fellow travellers in the future.

Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport customer review

As an international transit-passenger I only used the transit-area of brand-new Terminal D. The staff attitude was kind of a revolution for Russia - addressing passengers and offering help was never heard about before. Transit desk sufficiently manned. The same for the transit passport and security check. Most shops in Terminal D were still under construction but bars and restaurants open. Just one disappointing thing: Bars and Restaurants only accept payment in cash roubles.