Minneapolis St Paul Airport

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

I have traveled internationally for many years. This year was the first time in the US that we were treated very rudely by Customs at the MSP Airport. They were not at all kind or respectful and treated us as if were trying to be dishonest on our declarations. I have never been so frustrated as I was by them.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

I have used Lindbergh terminal for several years and have always been impressed with it's ease of use and the shopping - I usually have a 7 hour layover and find plenty to do during that time. My last trip was less than memorable as I was flying Northwest from Minot ND to Minneapolis and Icelandair from Minneapolis to Glasgow. This time Icelandair had moved to Humphry terminal so I had to transfer from one terminal to the other. My impression is that Lindbergh and Humphry terminals have an ongoing war of some kind and really don't give a damn about their customers. There is no transfer for baggage so I had to drag my bags with me - on the outward journey I had to take a bus from just outside Lindbergh to just outside Humphry (signs and directions were practically non existant). On the return journey I found that after already traveling for 16 hours I had to drag my bags through the entire parking garage to reach the mass transit train this took me about 20 minutes. I am a person who is not easily scared by anything but I have never felt so unsafe walking through the parking garage on my own at 7:00 pm - no airport staff or security anywhere in sight I really wondered where on earth I was going and if I was going in the right direction. Once I got on the train (absolutely exhausted) I found that there were a couple of young men about 20 feet away from me starting a fight! What a wonderful impression this gives to any travellers coming to this country for the first time. Unfortunately I have very few choices of transport between North Dakota and Scotland and will probably have to take the same route again (I usually make two trips a year). Minneapolis needs to have a dedicated means of transport for airline passengers between the two terminals and more security. I would add that I am 64 years old and in reasonable shape when I finally reached Lindbergh terminal I was absolutely exhausted frustrated and upset by the whole experience I still had another 7 hours travel time before I would be home. I am writing letters to everyone I can think of regarding this incident I would encourage anyone else who has had the same experience to do the same.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport seems optimum in the sense that it is large enough to offer passengers multiple shopping and dining venues and yet it still maintains a very clean and modern environment despite its size - something I have to appreciate after having been to more rustic monstrosities such as Chicago O'Hare. It is true that Northwest Airlines dominates the airport and its passengers may have to walk long distances to and from its many dispersed concourses but this actually seems to translate into an advantage for passengers flying other airlines because most of them seem to have their operations concentrated on one concourse that is quite close to check-in baggage claim and the Northstar Crossing dining/shopping. So if you are traveling say American Continental Delta etc. you may not even realize the immense size of the airport because you are not likely to contend with it. My one complaint about MSP is that there are very few shops and restaurants open during the early hours of the morning which is an inconvenience for persons such as myself who normally arrive at the terminal quite early for flights departing at 6 or 7 a.m. with international connections and would like to eat or shop before boarding. However in all fairness I doubt that many airports have much to offer at that hour.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

There is a good mix of shops and eating places but most important of all the signeage is clear.We were coming in from Europe and needing to catch another flight connection after clearing customs. I was SO pleased that after we'd done that there was a sign indicating where the luggage needed to go for onward flights. Last year we went through Dulles and we hadn't a clue where the bags had to go and the staff didn't help. One sign at MSP saved an awful lot of upset and resulting delayed baggage that we had at Dulles. Give me MSP anyday.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

I use MSP 5-6 times a year and find it "serviceable". Its too big and distances between connections can be long and tiring even with the escalators and trams. Food tends to be mediocre and expensive and in general I find the whole MSP experience dispiriting. One good thing: the NWA lounges are top- notch or very close to it. Also you can pay a daily fee and get in. Very worthwhile if you have a 5-6 hour (or more) layover. International arrival there is OK no long delays but customs takes themselves very seriously and seems to operate on the premise if they're not inspecting someone's bags they're not doing their jobs. You can get to the Mall of America pretty easily if you do find yourself with a 6 hour layover. At least you could before I-45 collapsed.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

One of the nicest US airports I've visited which made an enforced further 24 hour stay that much more bearable. Nicely spaced out nothing is too far away and even getting to/from Downtown Minneapolis and the MoA is a lot easier than (say) Heathrow. If you fly NW and use hotel drop-off the self check-in where you're dropped off makes things less hassle. Only minor quibble was that if you have a lot of people queuing up for a non NW flight (in my case UAL) it gets crowded. But then it was the time when my own flight got delayed so it was probably a bad day.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

The layout at MSP is excellent. The walk is never too long and you don't need to leave security to change concourses unlike SFO LAX etc. Also all the check-in counters are in the same hall which is great if different people in your group are flying different airlines and you want to say goodbye. Short security lines due to multiple multi lane checkpoints. On-site rental car and parking makes travel into town easy.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

Just transferred twice through MSP on NW a few weeks ago. I liked the airport a lot but it fails in comparison to DTW. The Lindbergh Terminal is quite a hike especially if you are coming in on Northwest Airlink. The G and C terminals are very long but there is a walkway where you can transfer from one side to the other. I really enjoyed the observation deck at the D concourse and the view was excellent. The C concourse tram is very helpful especially for the elderly. Waiting areas tend to be crowded in the C concourse but D E F and G were just fine. Great restaurants also. All and all I was quite happy with MSP. Expect a bit of a walk and familiarize yourself with the terminal layout in the NW magazine. If you do that you should be just fine.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

At first glance you may wonder why MSP received the award for best North American Airport. Let's face it the terminals aren't brand new like DEN or SAN and nobody likes paying high air fares because of its n torious fortress status. However there are many factors that make MSP stand out like the quick and easy immigration/customs area tram to Concourse C excellent restaurant choices (try the Itasca Grill) and its close proximity to the downtown area. I think the terminal dedicated to low cost carriers (Humphrey terminal) is a great aspect of MSP - it's cozy and a breeze to get through and you don't have to wade through the thousands of connecting passengers on NWA to get to your gate. The Lindbergh terminal (main terminal) has a nice clean shopping area in the middle with an even cleaner food court but the concourses themselves are dotted with decent restaurants as well. The layout makes sense and you never have to walk very far unless you're at the very end of a concourse or you forget to take the tram. There's also train service to the Mall of America (currently the biggest mall in the US great for a long layover) and the downtown area. The airport could use a facelift as some of the ceilings are a bit low and the baggage area is becoming slightly dilapidated. It would be a blessing if Southwest came here - it would drive down some of the high fares associated with the Northwest monopoly but I suppose every fortress airport could use some Southwest relief.

Minneapolis St Paul Airport customer review

I have always liked connecting though MSP. I agree with people when they say that if you're coming in on an RJ or Prop that you had better wear hiking shoes but the abundance of moving walkways is definately a plus. Anyway the airport has always been clean and the staff has the friendly "Midwest Hospitality" feel about them. Being from Wisconsin myself it was mostly overlooked outbound and only noticed on my way back home after missing this while at my destination.