Miami Airport

Miami Airport customer review

Flew into MIA today from Las Vegas. I'd previously sworn never to use this airport again after a nightmare transfer a few years ago. However I wanted to see the city and thought maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I was actually leaving the airport rather than just transferring. More so as it was a domestic flight so no immigration. WRONG!! The airport is poorly signed it is an incredibly long hike to baggage reclaim and by the time I got to the correct belt the carousel had stopped. On asking what had happened to the remaining baggage including mine a rude young lady merely said that it would be on the adjoining belt. I told her that I'd checked and the signs did not indicate the arriving flight from Las Vegas she told me to go to the baggage service desk which I had to find by myself. The staff there said that I should just go to my hotel and they would deliver my missing suitcase there. Not trusting MIA staff to do this I said I'd wait at the desk until they found it which they did surprisingly quickly. Two other passengers on my flight were at the desk with the same problem. The airport is poorly laid out long long walks past the gates to baggage reclaim rude uncaring staff and generally a total dump. The differences between MIA and McCarran Airport (Las Vegas) are stark McCarran being a very pleasant experience in contrast. MIA is by a mile the worst airport I've been to (and I've been to scores around the world). If you want to visit Miami try flying into Fort Lauderdale (not far from Miami). Just avoid Miami airport like the plague!

Miami Airport customer review

As a seasoned traveller in EM and developed countries I can safely say this has been the worst airport experience of my life. On transit from Bogota to London with an AA to BA connection. Long walk to immigration 2 hours in an interminable line luggage arrives 3 hours late with no one from the airlines around for miles to help customers distraught as they were missing their flights. Not even an announcement to say the bags were delayed. No one from BA to receive our bags as the signage pointed I'm the opposite direction and no one generally to help transit passages at all. After running back and forth in different directions we finally made it to our flight. Some gall to call itself an international airport with the complete lack of resources care basic customer etiquette and signage. Worst airport in the world.

Miami Airport customer review

Flew LHR to MIA with British Airways on 1st Nov 2012. Flight arrived on time and after a long walk to the immigration hall the fun and games really began. We started queuing for passport control in the non-US citizen line about 9pm. There were so many people ahead of us and so few immigration staff that it took 1.5 hrs to be seen by an immigration officer. While I was waiting in the public area of the arrivals hall I witnessed other people who had also been detained for intrusive / abusive questioning. The attitude of US border officials is nothing short of disgusting. While we had a pleasant stay in Miami we will never go back to the USA and risk experiencing this type of treatment again. A terrible ordeal and their whole attitude seems to be that you are a threat and are guilty until proven innocent and that they are doing you a special favour by letting you in to spend money and have a holiday in their country.

Miami Airport customer review

I will never again fly to MIA : coming from London with a connecting flight I had to stand 2 hours for immigration then 1/2 hour for custom and then walk for miles to drop my luggage. The worst airport in the US for sure! Never again.

Miami Airport customer review

My mother had a short domestic flight today with American Airlines. She arrived at the airport 2 hours ahead of time. She was advised that customers should arrive at MIA at least 4 hours ahead of their flight (at minimum 3). That's ludicrous. That's a sign that there's something wrong with your airport! When you arrive at MIA you have to walk several miles to get to the baggage carousel. It's a mess.

(Denmark)

It's not all negative with MIA. Landed with BA late July and got baggage and through immigration and custom in 1 hour. Left the car rental centre after another half hour and on the road after 1.5 hour from landing - not so bad.

(Aruba)

In my opinion the worst airport in the US. TSA staff very rude and uncivilised. Staff also rude and unhelpful. Signs were badly placed so easy to get lost. I try to avoid to go to Miami international. I prefer to fly to Ft. Lauderdale Int'l.

Miami Airport customer review

The most awful airport I have ever used. Miami Intl makes transiting in Frankfurt a marvellous experience. We had almost 3 hours for our connecting flight but made it to our connecting BA flight to London only because we were travelling First and BA kept our seats. Staff at Miami appear to be trained to be rude and unhelpful to passengers. We asked a female staff if we could go in front of the massive queue as we were just about to miss our flight and she said if we miss our flight we just miss it. After immigration one has to endure the other queue to get through customs which is another awful experience. There were more than 1000 arriving passengers and only two members of staff dealing with the queue. We waited an eternity for our bags at carrousel 8 where it was announced they will be delivered. However they were delivered at 6 and we were not told of the changes. Staff just do not care about passengers. No one helps and they seem to see all visitors as a security threat rather than passengers who pay money to use this airport. Avoid this if you can.

Miami Airport customer review

The airport is not a suitable gateway. It's not fit for it's purpose. Walkways to gates are long and if you have luggage that is not wheeled you are left alone to carry it yourself. The little carts cost $5. Toilets are plentiful but the cleanliness is atrocious. The immigration queues take forever. This is not a good introduction. I had to queue again to rebook as my incoming flight was delayed by AA. The queue to reach the attendant took over 1 and half hours. It was a mad rush to my connecting flight. Everyone has to clear immigration and customs even if you are just transiting. To their credit though people were polite and friendly when you do eventually reach them. Better transit in Europe or Brazil for me sorry AA.

Miami Airport customer review

Within the last week I and two travelling companions have flown from London Heathrow to Lima Peru via Miami. It has confirmed that I will never fly to the USA again even in transit. And this is not because of the affect of all the additional security measures etc. that the USA have introduced. Miami Airport is too spread out. Very long walks to departure gates. It's too much in need of and upgrade. A bit like Heathrow 10 years ago. So don't have a go at Heathrow now. As for immigrations. Even when in transit it took us over two hours to get through. The staff managing the queues were the picture of helpfulness but by the time you met the immigration staff themselves you might as well have dealt with a machine. Clearly displaying signs of utter boredom. What sort of advertisement for a country is that? Sorry USA must try harder because I'm not coming back.