Miami Airport

Miami Airport customer review

Had to change planes in both directions on an international trip. The airport appears to be in a constant state of construction with areas blocked off at various locations. Waiting areas at the gates were rather small and overflowing with people. Limited shopping after passing thru security. Food selection was slightly better and I could not find a single hamburger stand. On the return flight I had to go thru customs and passport control. After a long walk to passport control there were nothing but long lines (10 to 20 deep). Baggage claim was also packed and again with long lines. I will try to avoid MIA in the future if at all possible.

Miami Airport customer review

On arrival short queues 4/5 long at non-US desks but staff directed people to US citizen desks as some of these were free. Immigration staff unsmiling but not unpleasant and through customs in no time at all. On departure no queues at all at security and AA lounge quite pleasant to pass an hour in. Not many shops airside but reasonable eating facilities.

Miami Airport customer review

I was not looking forward to arriving at Miami Airport as an international passenger. However I was pleasantly surprised with the very short queue at immigration and baggage claim and was through both formalities in under 30 mins. It look over twice that time to get the hire car. Return was also easy with only a short queue for security etc

Miami Airport customer review

I live in Miami and use MIA about once a month. It's average for US airports. Confusing signage. Some modern areas. Some from the 1970s / 80's. Just OK retail and amenities. That said travelers - especially transit passengers and those originating at MIA - beware. On two of the last seven trips I've taken out of MIA I have had items pilfered from my luggage. My advice: Do not check any luggage through MIA. Otherwise avoid this airport and transit through Spain. LGW LHR or CDG if you are going to Latin America from Europe or maybe ATL DFW or JFK if you must use a US airport.

Miami Airport customer review

Landed internationally in Miami on June 6. Weather was bad and we missed every connection. Customs for US citizens went fairly quickly but rebooking of luggage was a nightmare due to missed connections. AA staff were highly unmotivated and complained about how long they had to work that day. Like we wanted to sit aound for 10 hours. Go upstairs to check in and rebook you will save yourself a lot of time. Locals told us never to connect in Miami in June and July. AA terminal was a dump with limited restaurants other than self service food lines. Miami airport makes Chicago's O'Hare look great!

Miami Airport customer review

I transited in MIA from Santo Domingo en route to LAX and if the walk through a maze of passages and stairs and escalators from the plane to immigration was more than 1.5 kilometres and then you hit a queue going at a snails pace everyone getting more tired and frustrated before the disjointed questions finger prints and fotos and that is before another sizable walk to the luggage carousels. Returning was just as bad and from concourse D51 to E33 takes a good 25 minutes walking through crowds of jostling people without the assistance of electric walk ways and just because your plane lands a little early do not think you will be offloading earlier as there are always are delays waiting for a tow truck. I do not understand how an airport can be so bad when most of it seems to be relatively new

Miami Airport customer review

This was the first time I have ever flown into the Miami airport as an international passenger and although I've never had much good to say about MIA from a domestic standpoint for international travel it is even worse. Upon arrival from France we headed off for a long walk to the customs and immigration area of the airport. However once we arrived we were held at the bottom of a staircase while they got their staff ready for us. Once inside things moved quite quickly though I've never been asked so many random questions by immigration. (Nor have I ever run into such unfriendly immigration agents.) Instructions for where to go and what to do with your bags for continuing flights was totally lacking. Fortunately a TSA agent walked by as we were being given instructions and he told us to just follow him. (Following the blue line in the floor was fine expect that you had to drop your bags off to be x-rayed about mid-way on the blue line.) At least this time our connecting flight wasn't a 45 minute walk. Bottom line considering that MIA has been under construction since 2004 it seems like they could have done a much better job with it.

Miami Airport customer review

MIA is not a passenger-friendly airport. I usually fly in and out of MIA on domestic flights - only if I cannot avoid it. Do not consider flying into this airport unless you can handle the minimum 15-20 minute hike from the security screening area to your gate. The later your flight arrives or departs at MIA the further your gate will be from the exit to the terminal. If you have the misfortune of arriving before 7am or after 10pm the stores will be closed the fast food and sit-down restaurants are all closed and you will walk past seemingly miles of empty gates to get to the terminal or your gate. There are no moving sidewalks in the concourse areas so be prepared to hike. If you are disabled by all means try to avoid this airport at all costs. The newer terminals are pleasant to look at but uncomfortable to navigate to. MIA is a rabbit's warren of zig-zagging white wallboard mazes with poor signage and a lack of decent food service or practical traveler shops. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to the airport terminal or concourse layout and you usually must exit one concourse and recheck through security to get to another. Even if you are headed in the right direction you will need good walking shoes. MIA is laid out for the administrators security and airlines benefit - not the passengers. The taxi cab drivers are rude if you don't have too far to go from the airport and parking at the Economy Park and Ride is an adventure unto itself with a lack of passenger clearly marked pickup/drop-off areas. Good luck finding your way around this airport. With all the money that has been spent the only improvements I've been able to discern have been cosmetic. It is still the worst airport in terms of passenger experience I have ever used and continues to frustrate me both as a passenger and resident of Miami.

Miami Airport customer review

I was in Miami airport on the Monday before Easter and Wednesday after Easter in 2 different areas transiting between the Caribbean and England and nothing has improved here. The queues are long and take for ever the officers have to hunt on the computer take photos and finger and thumb prints for everyone golf bags are always opened up and a note left to excuse the bad refastening and for people who simply want to transit onto another flight and not spend a moment more than necessary in the USA it is a nightmare worth avoiding. Not much different to LAX which is in the same league. Surely some one can work a transit system out at the 4 or 5 big hubs so transit passengers can be treated as in all other countries.

Miami Airport customer review

What can I say about Miami airport other than what a complete nightmare! It starts as soon as you hit the tarmac get off the plane and discover a mass of people all trying to get through immigration. Immigration itself took me around an hour which wasnt as bad as the 2 hours last time I visited. They make you stand - even the elderly and then interrogate you like a criminal taking finger prints and photos. Then you get through to the baggage lounge where your bags have been dumped in the middle of the room as there isnt enough room on the belt! It then takes you another 15minutes of pushing and being pushed to get out of the ridiculously small baggage claims area. By the time this happened it was dark and I had to then stand outside trying to flag down my hotels complimentary shuttle bus. On my return back to the UK I arrived at the airport very early and waited patiently as the bag drop desk for Virgin Atlantic opened. Once it did I checked in and was then told to take my bags with me to a special designated bag scanning area. Took my bags there but the machine was broken and the a lot of bags were being piled up (not exactly a safe and secure method if you ask me). Anybody could have walked off with the bags! Anyhow they eventually sorted it out and were taking bags somewhere else for us (or should I say one guy was). the departure gate area F is dark and in need of brightening up. The toilets were disgusting. The shops are appalling and the only food options is junk food. Out of all the airports in the world this has to be the worst I've visited.