Miami Airport

"hardly words to describe how abysmal this airport is"

Not Verified | There are hardly words to describe how abysmal this airport is. I had 2 hours to make a connection from Mexico City to Hartford. American Airlines should have known better than to book such a short layover through this wretched place. The plane was delayed 15 minutes on the tarmac and then 10 more at the gate when no agent was available to operate the entryway. Then, there was an interminable walk through unmarked hallways to an interminable immigration line. There, after being herded to the automated kiosks, I was herded to wait over 40 minutes for an agent who was gleefully asking smug questions of every U.S. citizens in line, spending an average of 5 minutes with each person. Other lines moved more quickly at this point, so this is clearly a particular agent’s power trip. At this point, when I tried to find where to re-check my luggage, an agent rudely asked me for when my connnection was. This was the first time I was asked about my connection time, notwithstanding the “short layover” stickers that had been plastered all over my suitcase. At this point, the rude American Airlines employee told me to go to a different line from the one which I was standing, with now explanation. I assumed, incorrectly, that this was an expedited line, since I still had around 40 minutes to catch my flight. It was not. The door that the rude agent sent me through took me outside of security to the airline agents for rebooking. I learned from another agent that I had been sent there because other agents decided that the remaining 40 minutes was not sufficient for me to make my connection. And, throughout the process, the half-dozen or so staff members that I had the misfortune of interacting with were extraordinarily rude and impassive to the fact that they were part of an inefficient and abusive machine that was making thousands of passengers miserable. Unfortunately, I need to make this same trip for work several times a year. In the future, it will cost me around a hundred dollars to book itineraries on a different airline (probably Delta) in order to avoid this airport. It will be worth every penny.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"MIA is in a category by itself"

Trip Verified | I have lived and worked in ten countries and flown into and out of dozens of airports. Some are acceptable, others are good, and a few are excellent. MIA is in a category by itself. Apart from the worst parking facilities I have ever encountered and an urgent need to improve its shoddy appearance, the immigration service seems to consist mostly of incompetent agents. After sitting in the Interjet airliner for a full hour after boarding and a flight of about two and a half hours, it took my wife and little granddaughter another three hours to pass through immigration and customs. Such gross inefficiency and total lack of caring for passenger needs is reprehensible. Those responsible for running such an operation should be relieved of their jobs and replaced by competent personnel. Clearly, the travelling public deserves something better than this. Our family will surely not be the only one to avoid using this airport for our future travel needs.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"irritated with the arrival line for immigration"

Not Verified | I am very irritated with the arrival line for immigration. We got there from a 15 hour flight and had to wait in line for 2 hours just to go in to get our luggage. We had plans to meet up with a friend and weren't even able to do that thanks to the delay. A child was with us and they didn't even have they courtesy to let her sit anywhere. Many people had connections and barely/didnt made/make it.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"Worst customs service I have ever experienced"

Not Verified | Worst customs service I have ever experienced. There were 75 customs desks but only 2 open. This was to service a full load of passengers from a Boeing 777. It wasn't until I had spent two and a half hours waiting in the queue that they finally opened some additional desks. It took 3 hours just to have my passport checked! It took 30 minutes at Montego Bay in Jamaica. I spoke to a couple, who missed their connecting flight by 5 minutes, due to the unacceptable time waiting in this queue and as a result, lost 1 day of their holiday, Fort Worth Texas, was quicker but still took over an hour. When I asked if there was anyway of speeding up the process, as it was quite likely that I would miss my connecting flight back to the UK, the airport staff just stated that there was nothing to be done in order to speed the process up. This experience puts you off wanting to take a holiday in America in the future.
Date VisitJune 2019

"wheelchair assistance is very slow"

Not Verified | My friend is handicapped and we had to wait for a wheelchair in the handicap area for over an hour. The wheelchair assistance is very slow and ridiculous! Thank goodness we had a layover or we would have missed our plane.
Date VisitJune 2019

"signage was unclear"

Trip Verified | We had to collect luggage from our first flight and then check in for our second flight. From the gate to the baggage claim was extremely far, signage was unclear and there were no alternative transportation options. After that, we had to walk with all our bags and two small children two concourses over, easily 1 km. Though we asked if there were any transportation options, shuttle or train etc, there was nothing and we were denied any assistance from those we asked. The line at security took us roughly 30 minutes and they did not have enough trays for people to use. What an embarrassment of an airport.

"dirty, extremely dated"

Trip Verified | I travel around the world this has to be in the top 5 worst airports I have had to fly through. It's dirty, extremely dated and the food options are horrendous.

"Thumbs down MIA"

Trip Verified | MIA airport is the most awful airport in America, it could be the best but the people seem to be trained to be awful. No clear directions to the traveler, rude and plain disgusting attitude. I just don’t understand. I travel a lot and by far this is the worst airport only because of the people. All agencies working there need training on people’s skills. Thumbs down MIA.
Date VisitMay 2019

"airport has zero redeeming features"

Not Verified | This airport has zero redeeming features, but what really sticks out is the unfriendly staff at terrible and customs. Grumpy personnel in a permanent state of bad mood. The last thing they want to do is to help the traveler. A terrible first impression of the US for a foreign visitor. Fire the lot. Have avoided flying through MIA, preferring longer flights and not having to deal with the personnel.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Simply awful"

Not Verified | Simply awful. Perhaps the worst airport I have been to in 41 yrs of life. Between the lack of direction from airport personnel to the horror that is US Customs and airport security, I would think Ellis Island in 1900 would be less stressful. I will never and stress never return to this airport and will avoid it like the plague.