Melbourne Airport

(Malaysia)

Ok maybe it is unfair to compare Changi to Melbourne but I never thought we had to go through hell to get our passports stamped. There was this unending swerving line of people waiting to clear the immigration which is a lot worse than Heathrow Airport. Imagine having to stand and inching forward continuously for 90 minutes to clear the immigration. And not to mention we have 2 small kids too. This was indeed a bad start to our holiday trip to Melbourne. On way back I was surprised that we had to pay AUD 2 for using the luggage trolley. Luggage trolley is a basic necessity at all airports. This sort of petty things that riled people up for nothing and the bad impression lasts forever.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Arrived on Saturday 20th October 2012 at 9am from KL. Quickly passed through Customs electronically. Bags were delivered promptly. All looking good. But what were these chaotic lines of weary travellers? Where were the ends of these swirling lines? Eventually trudged to the very far end of the baggage area and moved step by step to what or where? Overseas travellers were puzzled but so were the locals. All we could do was apologise for this dreadful introduction to our country. After one and a half hours we eventually reached the end and were ushered out to the silver doors not through quarantine as we had expected. We had numerous wood products in our luggage which we had declared but the officials we spoke to did not even want to have a look at them they just waved us on and out!

Melbourne Airport customer review

An appalingly expensive (parking shopping food and drink) and difficult and tedious to navigate airport. Using the airport to depart and return to Melbourne is a brave act. From entering the Qantas terminal and depositing baggage to passing security staggering to the furthest located boarding gates it's all a drag. Security screening almost almost requires my bit by bit undressing in public with discarded items passing unchallenged through the machine until I myself finally clear the personal scanner without a beep. I ask why the fuss and where's the problem if my discarded items caused no problem and if finally I ( scantily clad) can get through and am not answered. I ask to see management and am told a staff supervisor is all that's available. I ask Qantas staff to see someone and am given a generic email address - but am refused a management or staff name position or phone number.

Melbourne Airport customer review

From the extremely rude traffic staff to the tired decor dirty toilets crazy queues and offensive duty free stores selling stuff in which I have absolutely no interest. By international standards it is not a large airport but the trek to departure gates and on return back from the arrival gates is interminable. Moving footpaths are not expensive. I never bring food or wooden products or anything else which I have to declare. Saves a lot of time at Quarantine. I allow an hour from landing to getting out the gate and it is rarely less than that. Check in 3hrs for International and rarely any spare time. I think the place is old and tired.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Melbourne Airport is in serious need of an update especially the check-in areas. The International Terminal has had some recent renovations and is okay. Staff at the airport seem to be rude and complicate the check in process. The airport is not dirty but it could be cleaner. Queuing was quick outbound through passport control and on return through immigration customs and quarantine.

(Italy)

I've used several times the Qantas domestic terminal (for departure arrival and transit) and I find it fine: the Qantas self check-in is fast and efficient and luggage delivery is also usually quick. The international terminal instead is not so good especially on arrival: the arrivals area feels drab and immigration / customs is slow. On departure this year there was only one security gate open (with several flights departing) and thus 30 min plus of queue to clear security. Int'l departures area however is fine. I recommend this airport for domestic and transit on Qantas domestic not really for international flights.

(New Zealand)

On a trip from Auckland to Perth on Qantas in July with my 75 year old parents we chose to transit through Melbourne rather than Sydney as we thought it would be easier not to have to use a shuttle bus to change terminals. Unfortunately our experience of Melbourne Airport was pretty poor. On the positive side of things our baggage arrived on the conveyor belt promptly. However we were way over at Conveyor Belt 5 even though there were closer Conveyor Belts available. Exiting into the arrivals hall we followed the signs for Qantas domestic transfers. We quickly discovered that the travelator up to the Domestic departures level was not functioning and there was no marked alternative. In the end my father had to push our loaded trolley up this conveyor belt. Once we got up to Qantas departures there was no indication for where International Transfer passengers should go. Having finally sorted that out we went through security and struck the most rude abrupt security staff ever. They showed absolutely no patience for those people who take a little longer to get through security. We then had a long walk to our gate. Our experience led my father to say that he will never transit through Tullamarine again.

Melbourne Airport customer review

The outbound International Terminal is poor but has improved slightly due to additions of new eating places. More choice is always good. Coming into Australia is another thing all together. Waiting time is long at each stage and most staff surly and unwelcoming. Melbourne Airport is probably one of the worst major city airports I have experienced.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Departing internationally wasn't too bad. Check in was as expected along with immigration. I object to having walk through Duty Free shop to get from immigration to gate. Arrival was a shambles. So many available immigration booths but so few being used (9pm Sunday). One funny moment were the Immigration with a Smile stickers on each booth and a surly officer on the other side. Get through that and find carousel 5 and head for customs. We declared food and some mats. On seeing my wife and daughters had Philippine passports an officer sent us to line 5. Here an officer basically accused us of carrying all sorts of illegal foods and when I said no he sneered "we will find it". After that they let the sniffer dog loose. He quickly found the pizza in my daughters bag. "you better have declared that" snapped the officer and was deflated when I showed him her card. We were then all sent on our way not bothering to check anything else.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Melbourne Tullamarine is a total joke to say the least. From its world renown exorbitant parking fees to its slow immigration procedure it left this airport nothing to be desired by fellow passengers. The airport has one of the craziest immigration system I have ever encountered. Once I got through the passport control I was faced by thousands of passengers queuing up for custom clearance as I happened to bring one or two packets of green teas from my trip back from Asia. By the time I had my luggage tampered by the custom officials I just could not wait any longer but to rush out of the airport to sigh a great relief.