Melbourne Airport

Melbourne Airport customer review

Very happy with Melbourne Immigration coming home from Singapore earlier this week connecting onwards to Adelaide. Really fast on arrival and was out of there including baggage claim and changing money within 50 minutes of touchdown and this at 4:50am. The officers let my medication come in as I had a doctors letter which helped a lot and unlike Adelaide I did not get strip searched nor my luggage gone through by the customs officer. Now I know never to fly into Adelaide internationally after two bad experiences.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Melbourne airport seems to be clean and updated from a few years ago. There is a new customs area for the departure flights even though there were counters for about 30 agents there were only about 6 on at the time. The queue took 10-15mins to get through. Annoying going through duty free to get to any gate and annoying staff members trying to sell anything. The facilities are very basic no free internet and have to pay a lot to access it. Otherwise clean simple and not overcrowded. Better than SYD airport.

Melbourne Airport customer review

For years passengers travelling to Melbourne have had to bear extreme long queues with immigration officers waiting to pounce on you for that fruit that you took with you from a flight. After many years of complaining the queues are still long. The real lack of facilities is car parking and pick up. For the entire airport there are only 5-spaces for passenger pick up and they are way further than the Qantas domestic terminal. This is a deliberate attempt to have the people paying for car park at extortion prices for just a small time. As my home airport I cannot say that they are good at all.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Departure was quite relaxed and there were no delays on boarding. The airport clearly lacks the luxury look of say Changi Terminal 3 and while it could do with some refurbishment it's reasonably comfortable with adequate shopping and dining options. After the incredibly lengthy arrival delay the last time we used MEL for an international flight my wife and I were expecting the worst on our evening return. To our amazement it took less than 20 minutes from touching-down until we walked out of the terminal. We travelled Business Class and having priority baggage handling helped to obtain our cases quicker than was the case on our previous Economy flight. While we used the Smartgate service the few passengers using the traditional Immigration lines at the same time meant we didn't progress any quicker than they did at that point. We didn't have anything to declare and were waved through Customs without having to open any of our bags or cases. A very pleasant and surprising experience.

(Qatar)

I have been travelling through MEL several times but find that this airport is poorly designed for international transfers after a recent experience. I'm not talking about transit on the same flight (i.e. disembark security check & re-embark like EK flights from/to AKL) but rather transfers from one flight to another (within the same terminal). I was travelling from AKL on EK for a connecting flight to DOH on QR. There were no transit desk facilities in the terminal. I later found out from a shop assistant that I had to check-in the connecting flight at the gate directly. This was a different (primitive) practice from most other airports like HKG SIN PVG DXB etc. Two problems: firstly ground staff only starts working at the gate probably 1 hour before departure so PAX would have to wait until that time for check-in. For fully-booked flights they might be at risk of being denied onboard owing to late checkin. For premium PAX their privilege of accessing lounges was taken simply because they could not get a borading pass until last minute. The second problem was that there were no signpostss no helpdesk to give transfer PAX any guidances. If this is one of AUS's main airports and there are international transfer PAX then you should provide sufficient guidance. I'd not recommend MEL airport for international transfers unless ones are frequent travellers and know what to do.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Found Melbourne airport a breeze to get in and out of. Immigration was quick and I must say a friendly clerk for once in immigration was nice. No problems at this airport.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Check in lines are overflowing departure lounge cramped and immigration is slow. With more international traffic coming into Melbourne the airport needs to expand and fast. Also annoyed there is no free WIFI like in KUL and SIN and lack of decent duty free shops within immigration.

Melbourne Airport customer review

Flew QF domestic several times from here and each time the check in (ie Bag drop) experience had been an absolute nightmare. Utter chaos throughout no one knows which queue is for what. Incredibly bitchy Qantas staff member telling people what to do and not to do without knowing herself what's happening. Screening staff at Security has been unfriendly on several occasions partly due to the fact that Melbourne seems to be the only airport in Australia that insists on taking you shaving gel (!) away if you dare to carry this "security threat" in your hand luggage. Strange only that it seems to be pretty fine anywhere else but in MEL. In addition to all that limited choice of food options and constant renovations that seem to lead to anything but a cleaner and better organized airport. Toilets as dodgy as Sydney but one single thing works much better. The taxi queue is much better organized and it takes far less time to end up in your cab. However this advantage is almost entirely reversed by the fact that the airport is far out of the city resulting in insane cab charges to and from the airport.

Melbourne Airport customer review

My experience dates back to May this year so I apologise for the late report. If I were an overseas visitor arriving at Tullamarine for the first time I would feel exasperated. We arrived at 0810 from Auckland flying business class on Air NZ. Immigration control only had four desks open and with several overseas arrivals around the same time as our flight it became obvious that more desks need to be operating. Then once we were waved through immigration and retrieved our luggage another very long queue for customs resulted in a 50 minute wait for our cases to be inspected. There were too few immigration officers on duty on that morning and with just about every passenger's case being opened for inspection it resulted in an inordinate delay. I noted that some of these Custom officers had a very surly demeanour and one in particular was extremely rude to a Vietnamese woman who was queued two ahead of us. Customs needs to look closely at the people skills of its officers at this airport because for many it will be their first experience with an Australian official. The temperament of several on this particular morning was a cause for dismay. Customs department and the immigration department need to staff this airport properly instead of doing things to "world benchmarks" as the reply from the Customs Minister stated in his email response. Obviously the "world benchmark" must have been extracted from a Third World airport. Shame on you Melbourne Airport. And the parking costs at Melbourne Airport are now officially the highest in the world - another rip off by the operator.

Melbourne Airport customer review

The process of customs officers checking each passengers arrival card prior to going through customs results in excessive delays. I am from Melbourne living in London and found this procedure completely disheartening; if Melbourne weren't my home town I would feel this initial arrival to Melbourne quite negatively. The necessity for customs procedures to be tight is appreciated however the arrival area and luggage carousels needs to be arranged properly.