Manchester Airport

(Spain)

Overall a good experience. The redesigning of T1 airside and the consequent increased security check area has dramatically reduced the queues since the last time I used this airport. But there are far two many shops; being forced to pass through the huge duty free complex on departure is disorientating and slows progress through to the gate for those pax with not much time. And the amount of space dedicated to shops - even a supermarket! - in the arrivals area causes serious bottlenecks at busy times.

Manchester Airport customer review

Much improved facilities since my last visit - more preferable to T3 at LHR in fact. Even with mid morning midweek arrival from CPH on non EU passport I was away from airport in hire car inside 1 hour. Access to North-South and East-West motorways excellent. Security for return flight no worse than many international airports I have transitted - at least the staff spoke English!

Manchester Airport customer review

Terminal 2 outbound got through check-in and security quickly - on a Thursday afternoon in late September check-in was almost deserted. Security staff firm but polite and friendly to a fellow-passenger who seemed unaware of the 100ml limit on liquids/gels in hand baggage. On return in mid-October around lunchtime on a Saturday bags arrived quickly and we got from the aircraft to the rail station in under half an hour. My one gripe is the distance between the rail station and Terminal 2 - not helped outbound by the moving walkways being largely out of action. But overall a good experience.

Manchester Airport customer review

Checking in and getting through security is much improved at Manchester and they have got this pretty spot on. The facilities are good the staff always polite and the place very clean. However they have a bad problem with baggage on low cost or budget airlines. It can take up to an hour for the bags to start coming. On a flight with Jet2 in November 2010 it took an hour and 30 minutes to clear the airport from landing to getting in a cab. This was down to the fact it took over and hour to get our bag even though we seemed to be the only flight in that terminal at that time. This is not uncommon and they do need to sort it out. Also expect long queues at immigration on occasions even when coming in from the EU. This is also an area which is very poor with not enough staff for the volume of flights.

Manchester Airport customer review

Early check in for our 6 am flight polite and friendly check in staff. The airport was virtually empty and due to an early flight we thought as there were very few passengers security would be reasonably stress free. All I can say is passengers were fine but staff seemed to be hyped up even though there was only a trickle of passengers going through. My daughter was chosen by some female jobsworth to go through the body scanner and had orders barked at her - she was asked if she had liquids she didn't - took 3 times for this woman to ask my daughter and 3 times to for her to say emphatically "no". Seating was fine for us in the Departure Lounge but I suppose later seating would be difficult to find.

Manchester Airport customer review

I agree with the recent reviews that Manchester airport is on a downwards spiral . In September we found the T1 shopping mall claustrophobic with no real seating area and the food is poor. We were delayed and enquired about a childrens area which there is none or even a decent seating area. It seems to be about squeezing the assets and more worryingly is that nobody has ever replied and made a complaint after we had undertaken the manchester airport online survey! I use T3 once a month for business and is better for speed cleanliness etc but then I use the business lounge what a difference!

Manchester Airport customer review

I am interested to read Peter Cloney's review from August - I couldn't agree more. I travel through Manchester Airport twice a week which like Peter gives the ability to step back from the short-term issues which often side-track passengers in their critique. I regularly contact the airport management team with my concerns and am yet to hear back on any issue despite their promise of getting back to you within 5 working days. Recently I was travelling with hand luggage only and as instructed at security I placed any fluids in a tray along with my phone keys etc. The only fluid I had was a single tube of toothpaste which I placed in the tray. I was informed that even though it was a single item I still needed a clear plastic bag which I would have to buy for £1. Even though it seems ridiculous to need a clear bag for 1 item (I thought the clear bags were to keep your fluids together and limit the amount you could take on board - I highly doubt that a plastic bag improves the view that the security controller gets of your liquids and gels) I agreed only to find that the point where I had to buy the bag was after security! Added to this absurd procedure was the fact that I was treated with utter contempt by the staff on duty. My other gripe are the drop-off arrangements at T1. They have made some changes where now cars and taxis have to pull into one of 15 parking spaces rather than simply dumping their passengers by the door to the terminal. This causes horrendous tail backs often onto the M56 spur.

Manchester Airport customer review

Been using Manchester Airport for 20 years at least 3 times a month often more frequently. This long-term user history gives me the ability to step back from the short-term issues which often side-track passengers in their critique. I am completely clear in my mind that for the last 5 years this airport has been and remains on a downward spiral in terms of virtually every key aspect which is important to all passengers and particularly to regular users. The overall cleanliness of Terminal 1 is on a par with a third world city bus terminus the appallingly slowly speed of baggage claim from the carousels even at the quietest times of the day beggars belief as to why everything takes so long the extremely frequent failure of the advanced car-park booking system at the critical moment of inserting the credit card in the barrier to leave the car-park is so well known and feared in my company that no one trusts it now to use it. But the worse aspect of the whole airport and its management is that no one appears to care. No one responds to complaints no one is interested. The only interest appears to be the promotion of as many retails outlets as possible within the complex. As viewed by many of my non-UK colleagues this airport is one to avoid and if business can be done outside NW England with the benefit of avoiding Manchester Airport so much the better in their view.

Manchester Airport customer review

I've been using Terminal 3 twice weekly for the last few months. With on-line check-in after a short walk from the railway station I'm in the departure lounge ten to fifteen minutes from arrival at the terminal. The staff seem to have made efforts to smooth the passage through security. A turnstile system gains entry operated by the barcode on your boarding pass. Staff are employed to help should you encounter a problem with this. There is a fast-moving queue for scanners. Shopping and food facilities are limited but adequate. Gates can be a bit cramped but I've yet to fail to find a seat. Signage is good. Arrival is no problem and there is a drop-off/pick-up area nearby so you can be away very fast. Long term on-site parking can be problematic as it gets very full but there are other options.

Manchester Airport customer review

First upon disembarkation from an airbridge you have to go down two flights of stairs turn left and then climb up to what was exactly the same level a few yards away. Ridiculous. Then the automatic passport reader could not read my passport upon which I was told that my passport "does not have a chip" (despite displaying the chip symbol on the cover) and told to go to a manned desk. There my passport could not be scanned either (although it had been scanned at FRA without a problem a few hours earlier that afternoon). Strangely when handed to yet another immigration counter scanning happened instantly. When departing from Gate 22 the same unbelievable architectural obstacle presented itself in reverse: go down two flight of stairs turn right and climb back to the same level as before. Needs improving!