Madrid Barajas Airport

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

Connecting at Barajas from Terminal 4 to 4S to depart Spain becomes overly stressful with the huge unpredictable delays at immigration Passport control. Chaotic "lines" swarm at each operating booth and line-jumpers push ahead. Timid and weak travelers miss their flights. An express line for 30min connections has no enforcement and took about 45 mins for us to clear. Iberia does not assist customers connecting to U.S. flights - even those in Premier Business Class. Iberia Business Class is otherwise fine but what's the point if you miss your connection as we almost did? We got to Boarding gate 74 (the furthest away) a few mins past departure time but the flight was being held for us because our baggage would have to be unloaded.

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

Madrid Barajas T4 and T4S are one of the most unfriendly terminals in the world. The staff are rude queues are never ending and there is a lack of accurate information provided. No express connection facilities (although they existed once upon a time but not anymore). Heating in the airport is always very high and when arriving from another European country in winter it can feel extremely hot and humid.

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

What a superb modern example of a busy airport this is. Arrived and departed at the newer terminal 4. Don't worry that after you arrive you seem to walk for ever and go out of various gates until you might think you have missed your luggage. Keep going until you board the fast train that travels under the airport to where you collect your bags and then if you need to take the incredibly cheap and fast bus into the city. Be careful when departing that you know exactly where you are departing from as the distance from 1-2-3 and the satellite 4 is quiet a long bus ride away. Really good duty free shops once through customs when flying out. One of the most impressive airports I have ever used.

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

Travelled through the old Terminal (1-3) area with Spanair and Lufthansa. This airport is a joke for such a city. I know that T4 is much better but this part of the terminal is outdated dark crowded and cramped. Restrooms are dirty. Check-in area is small and dark. Furthermore taxiing at this airport may take ages since runways are sometimes very far away. On the plus side: convenient public transportation to the city and acceptable range of outlets.

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

Used this airport (Terminal 1) for a short city break. On arrival we were not attached to a bridge so was shuttled to the immigration area must be a huge terminal. The passport checking process didn't take too long although some of the staff seemed to care more about talking to their colleagues rather than doing their own job. After leaving the passport check it was a long walk to metro station. Departure wasn't good as arrival. The check in area wasn't in a hall rather in a corridor. Security check was chaotic (a lot of Spanish travellers didn't like the idea of queuing). The terminal was very old. Very limited information was given and it was crowded (in gate CDE area). If you are flying out of EU you will be going from gate B which is more calming but again the options of eating and drinking are limited. I flew easyjet and the ground handling was poor - all flights delayed for hours and not much information was given and boarding process was extremely slow. In short this is an airport that needs some organisational and management skills to improve passenger's experience.

(Portugal)

I just used Terminal 4. Most reviews are absolutely correct when they say the airport is messy security checks are unbelievable (you need to carry plastic trays with your things and if you have a computer you need to carry two!). It is extremely expensive specially food. Just avoid it.

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

Fashion over function! I primarily use Terminal 4 which is almost always empty given that it's so large. It's like someone built the airport expecting the Olympics to come but they never did. The staff are completely useless again typical Spanish. I especially like the need to ride on about 25 escalators or take multiple elevators up and down to get anywhere. The security check also has been very poorly designed. Putting everything into the plastic trays to then be forced to carry or hold them as the tables don't extend to the actual screening point. It's also the only airport I still travel to which requires me to open my laptop (although Dublin requires me to open my umbrella so I guess that's worse). Avoid this airport if possible or better yet avoid Spain and head to Portugal!!

(Croatia)

Terminal 2 on arrival from MUC we waited quite a long time for baggage and finally it appeared on a ZRH conveyor belt - we could have waited for ages if somebody hadn't noticed our bags mixed up with ZRH bags. Toilets rather worn out and filthy. T2 generally looks rather worn out. On departure waited 45 min at LH check-in desk just to give away our bags although we've been already checked-in at home. Not enough seats in front of gates. Some of security stuff doesn't speak English at all. Gate numbers not appearing on a display monitor - if you're lucky some of the apt staff will tell you to which gate to go.

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

I will never go through that airport again in my life! The staff were rude lazy and unhelpful. When I landed in MAD I had my duty free alcohol confiscated by a security staff even though that alcohol was in a sealed bag brought from another international airport. This security person spoke to me in English when I first walked through and then suddenly pretended not to understand any English when I tried to explain that the bottles of alcohol were in a proper sealed bag bought from another airport. She simply stood there smiling smugly and of course I had told her I had 20 minutes to make the next flight so there was not much I could do about that. Also I had my backpack strapped onto my wheelie bag and when I tried to unstrap it so that I could lift both items onto the conveyor belt at security a security staff came over and started shouting at me. She was not interested in my explanations. For a major airport I was quite disgusted. I had a more pleasant time going through Marrakech Airport despite its fewer facilities - at least the staff there had manners.

Madrid Barajas Airport customer review

Avoid Transit via MAD! What a mess I could not believe it. The airport is new but if you are unlucky and have to swap terminal it is a real mess. You even have to go through customs twice again and passport control.