Madrid Barajas Airport

"it is quite an exhausting experience"

Trip Verified | Walking distances between terminals are enormous with not much mechanical assistance. For somebody a little bit elderly it is quite an exhausting experience as in my case it meant 30 minutes walk which I would say is the what is acceptable here. Duty-free area pretty much okay and the airport is reasonably clean. One very sour-point: a queue of several hundred people to check the compulsory location questionnaire which is completely stupid when it is only transit passengers; the sound all they could were quick and polite but vastly under-staffed.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"90 Minutes for luggage delivery"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | After arrival it took 90 Minutes for luggage delivery and in the meantime there was zero info on the screens. Very frustrating.
Date VisitNovember 2021

"the most badly run airport I have ever had the misfortune to visit"

Trip Verified | Madrid Barajas Airport is the most badly run airport I have ever had the misfortune to visit. After Brexit the EU has withdrawn the rights of UK passengers to the use the eGates which means even on relatively short flights from the UK to Spain British passengers now have to queue with all other countries at international border control while those from the EU, Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein use the eGates and are through in minutes. There are extremely long waiting times for Spanish customs officers to manually process passports. Despite hundreds of passengers in the queue they only have 2 desks open at any one time. Madrid only has one airport and it has put me off flying there for business now I can spend more time going through passport control than I do in the air.

"A very poor experience"

Not Verified | Attempted transit in Madrid on our way from London to San Sebastian. The immigration queue was 90 minutes long and as a result we, and many others, missed our connections. The 'urgent' flight connections lane doesn't appear to be running and staff were uninterested in helping - 'connections don't get special treatment, speak to your airline'. The subsequent queue at Iberia customer services was so long that we gave up and paid our own way to San Sebastian via coach. A very poor experience.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"Passport Control line that lasted almost 90 minutes!"

Not Verified | Airport is quite pretty, but not very functional. There are very long distances to gates. The worst part was arriving after a 9 hour flight to find a Passport Control line that last almost 90 minutes! At 08.30 on a Sunday morning, they only had 4 positions open, despite multiple large planes coming in from North and South America! Then, the boards to tell where bags are located are few and far between. We had to search from Carousel to carousel. I’ll consider connecting at a different European airport and taking the train or a Schengen flight rather than landing here again.
Date VisitOctober 2021

"tells people to push their own trays"

(Croatia)

Not Verified | I have been to many airports in the world but never have I seen so many unpleasant, unpolite people working at the airport. From the security person who refused to help me, although in 4 in the morning has not much to do to do security control office who tells people to push their own trays.
Date VisitSeptember 2021

"it is well cleaned"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | It was midnight and there was a huge number of passengers trying to form a queue to take a taxi in a temperature of 38 degrees. I think it is badly signed and organized, but it is well cleaned from what I could experience and the fast control border check actually works very well.
Date VisitAugust 2021

"beautifully designed terminals"

Trip Verified | This is a massive airport, but very easy to get around pretty quickly. They’re beautifully designed terminals, with lots of shopping and food opportunities. It wasn’t 100% tidy when I was there, but it’s still covid-time, so I cut them some slack. I actually liked being there the hours I had to be there.
Date VisitJuly 2021

"One of the world’s worst!"

Not Verified | One of the world’s worst! The majority of the staff that work at the airport are very rude and unhelpful. Never have I been spoken to in such a manner by some of the staff I came across there, absolutely disgusting and I worked in the industry for years. There seems to be no organization here, and obviously very clearly a badly run airport, shame on you management. Madrid deserves better! I’ll avoid this airport like the plague with my future travels.
Date VisitMay 2021

"living through very special times"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | I know terminal 1 is somewhat old and that we are living through very special times, but it would be good to see more seats after security, more shops open (only 1 cafee and duty free) and more cleaning.
Date VisitAugust 2020