Madrid Barajas Airport

"immigration staff refused to help us"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | We had a 1h 40 min connection during our flight from Tel Aviv to Santiago de Compostella in Madrid airport on September 30. Due to some problems before departure the flight to Madrid was late about 40 min. Obviously it is nearly impossible to make a connection from terminal 4s to terminal 4 (including a train) in less than an hour. So I hoped that when we come to passport check we'll be given a precedence. Nothing of the kind. The line was huge and immigration staff refused to help us in a very rude way. Finally I begged other people and they let us go before them.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"Horrific experience"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Worst airport I've experienced. First, many escalators down to take a train to get to international gates. Second, train takes 8-10 mins to get to passport control with endless escalators up. Third, this is the fun part, passport control, it was 11:30 and people with flight times of 12:10 and 12:20 were all crammed in a tiny area and people were on the verge of missing flights, they asked the staff to open a priority line for those about to miss flights. This is standard operating procedure at all other airports I've experienced. Many of the passport control lanes were closed and there were 100+ people in line! The staff barked rudely in Spanish it's your problem - not mine. In my 25 years of flying I have never encountered this, not even in USA notoriously for unfriendly airport staff. People had to beg passengers in front to let them get to the head of the queue and staff continued to scream in Spanish, as if international travellers not fluent in Spanish could suddenly understand Spanish because you scream louder. Those who didn't beg passengers in front of them missed their flight. Fourth, after getting your exit stamp it's 10 minutes walk to the gate! We ran and ran through a maze of duty free shops and made it to the gate at 12:05 for a 12:20 flight, we were the last ones on, other passengers who didn't beg the folks in front of the queue missed the flight. Horrific experience, never fly out of Madrid!
Date VisitOctober 2019

"the worst terminal and experience"

(Chile)

Not Verified | This is the worst terminal and experience I've ever had, poorly designed, people are rude and lazy, appearently nobody took the time to have the user experience when it was built. You could be stranded for hours lost in the confusing and contradictory signs.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"this was a sub-par experience"

Trip Verified | I don't know if all gates are this way but the Delta gate was awful. No restrooms in the gate area, so if you've entered the gate (after showing your passport and boarding pass) you have to leave to use the restroom or get water and go back into the pre-gate entry line! No food there either. The seats were hard plastic and there were exactly zero outlets. There was one on a pole, but it didn't work. For a major city airport, this was a sub-par experience. Delta, if you have any control over your gate space in Madrid, please upgrade it!
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"It’s a disgrace of an airport"

(Portugal)

NotVerified | This airport is the worst airport I have seen in my entire life in terms of giving its users “freedom” to navigate it. The people that work there are extremely rude, not willing to help, and not cooperative at all in any way, shape, or form. The disgusting behavior of these workers have shocked me so much that I will avoid any connection whatsoever with them. It’s a disgrace of an airport. The only “plus” that it has are the little Starbucks booths where you can drink coffee, other than it’s bad. Also, there are no smoking areas/rooms anywhere. I needed to go outside to smoke, come back inside and has to go through security again. What a disgrace.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"doesn't have announcements"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Which sort of major international airport doesn't have announcements to inform passengers of gates or the moment the boarding will start? I found this quite weird. No smoking area either. Bathrooms and the airport in general were very well cleaned.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"there is no sense they want to help"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Delayed flight so had time to sample the delights of T1. Food and drink: third world choice at London prices. Exhorbitant prices for drinking water, no free water fountains. Toilets: too few, half of them closed, filthy. WiFi surprisingly acceptable. Most franchise staff rude. Airport info staff tolerate your queries, but there is no sense they want to help, it's just a job.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"nightmare to navigate"

Trip Verified | Do not let the appearance of this airport fool you. It presents lovely but it is an absolute nightmare to navigate. I have traveled extensively for over 30 years and by the time I got to the lounge I was exasperated and frustrated by the pure insanity of trying to find your way to the VAT refund and business lounge. Someone needs to sit in the shoes of a traveler and experience what has been created. The signage is a joke and the assistance from staff proves that they don’t know where anything is either. Then you get to the beautiful lounge which is over 50 meters long. At one end they serve beers and at the other end they serve wine. It’s a disaster and I couldn’t wait to get on the plane.
Date VisitJune 2019

"no lines or organization"

Trip Verified | My husband and I are still getting over our experience at the Madrid airport after 3 days home. All I can say is, arrive at least 3.5-4 hours early, and don't attempt it unless you are able-bodied in every way. I would also advise not bringing a heavy carry on bag because of what you have to go through with it (luckily, we didn't). We arrived for an international flight on Iberia (from Madrid to San Francisco) at terminal T4, 2.5 hours before our flight. There was a long line to check in bags, but that was not unusual. The security check was normal. Then the fun began. First there were about 8 escalators down to navigate. Then you get on a train to TS for a 10-15 minute ride (standing up of course and squished amidst confused and harried travelers). Then you are supposed to ride up an escalator, but it was broken. Carry your bags up the steep escalator with steep steps. Then the best part. Enter a passport control area. I hope this was unusual, but 100s of people (my husband thinks it was 1000s) are packed like sardines into a very wide and very long waiting area inching forward, with no lines or organization. People were starting to scream and freak out. A woman next to me had been separated from her husband a while back and had no idea where he was and she had already missed her flight, even though she had a boarding pass and had checked her bags. As you can imagine, this was a scenario for possible crowd panic. Finally, you are funnelled into a series of lines that move very slowly to have your passport stamped. After all of this, we now had 20 minutes until our flight departed. But you are still not done yet! Run through the perfumed duty-free shop and make your way down a very long terminal - in our case, to the last gate in the terminal. Even though there were moving sidewalks (thank God!) we were running the whole way. We made it to our flight for "last call". The flight pushed away from the gate on the dot - no waiting for stragglers. No time to go to the bathroom, fill a water bottle, or get any food for the flight. If we hadn't run the whole way, we wouldn't have made it! I will never fly out of this airport again!
Date VisitMay 2019

"rude and uncooperative"

Not Verified | After a lovely stay in a beautiful city we arrived at the airport to return to London, only to find airport security to be rude and uncooperative. I am a Sikh and as part of my religion I have worn a steel bangle since I was a teenager, I am 55 now and the bangle is to tight to remove. I tried over and over to explain this to them but security insisted I take it off. The security personnel got a plastic foot cover and forced it off causing me a lot of pain round my hand. He refused to give me his details so I could lodge a formal complaint. His manager was just as useless telling me that all metal must be removed. The complaints desk had no answer other than these are the rules. As the second largest airport in Europe you would think they would carry hand-held metal detectors. All other airports small or large appreciate the Sikh religion and understand this including Barcelona. Madrid airport staff need to be trained so as to not to cause religious disrespect towards Sikhs. This is a clear violation of my religious beliefs.
Date VisitMay 2019