Madrid Barajas Airport

"a chaotic experience"

Trip Verified | Traveled through MAD 3 times in June and July and it has been a chaotic experience. Train between main T4 and T4s disruption with up to 10 min between trains (imagine the mess), queues for non-EU passport so long for T4s departure that they take the entire train platform (luckily I have a EU passport and could bypass that), Fastrack system malfunction not recognizing boarding passes, lines of cars to the terminal block shuttles access, and remote stand boarding procedure assuming everyone can use stairs ... not a smooth operation. Outside of that MAD T4 design is great but that does not help with travel experience.
Date VisitJuly 2024

"overall signage was inadequate"

(Spain)

Not Verified | Worst airport I have ever had the misfortune to use. No thought whatsoever for passenger. On arrival from a transatlantic flight I had to walk nearly 3km to get to the gate of my connecting flight, some of this on uphill ramps. Between the aircraft and passport control on this nightmare there were no seats to rest, toilet facilities or water fountains. The queues at passport control, check in for connecting flight and security were long and chaotic with thousands of people not knowing where they should go. The overall signage was inadequate and I had to keep asking the way especially in departures. I was exhausted, I had not asked for assistance as I had no idea how gruelling the experience would be, never ever again.
Date VisitMay 2024

"Security were extremely unpleasant"

Trip Verified | Security were extremely unpleasant and it appears that they are employing those behaving inappropriately on security. Avoid a rude lady in the VIP security lane of T1 if you don't want to be examined over and above that necessary for the understandable purposes of security. If you try and complain you are directed to information whose computer is "down".
Date VisitApril 2024

"Thank you so much"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Very grateful for the treatment my mother received from the Aertec service (Control and monitoring for people with reduced mobility), specifically by Adrián Merino. It's nice to find people like that. Super helpful, kind, he did not hesitate to contact me and provide my mother with all the help possible to make the trip comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you so much. Muy agradecida por el trato que recibió mi madre por parte del servicio de Aertec ( Control y seguimiento para personas de movilidad reducida) en concreto por Adrián Merino. Da gusto encontrar personas así. Super servicial, amable, no ha dudado en ponerse en contacto conmigo y brindar a mi madre toda la ayuda posible para que el viaje le sea cómodo y ameno. Muchas gracias
Date VisitMarch 2024

"angry and terribly rude police officer"

(Norway)

Trip Verified | Unclear airport, you get a lot of counter-notifications from the staff. At passport control we encountered an unprofessional, angry and terribly rude police officer. Several complained to others because he was extremely rude. He threatened to detain us when I wasn't quick enough to give him our passports. Such a person should not to have contact with people. Destroys the whole impression of the Spanish people. I've traveled a lot and never in my life have I been treated like that. Extremely unprofessional.
Date VisitMarch 2024

"She was incredibly rude"

Trip Verified | Was looking for some Spanish soap and asked one of the ladies working in the general duty free shop (the first one after going through the security for connecting flights). She was friendly and helpful but then checked with her colleague. They didn't have it. I asked whether I could pay for the water there and was told that I could (beauty area, I think they also had Swatch watches nearby). The lady on the till was incredibly frosty. She asked for my boarding pass and was huffy and impatient. I was tired after a long flight back from Havana without sleep. I gave her a Euro and she barked at me in her English that it was one fifty. She was incredibly rude and immediately turned away in an abrupt manner when returning my change.
Date VisitDecember 2023

"quite a trek to the gate"

(Spain)

Not Verified | This is a huge airport to cover and as a pensioner, quite a trek to the gate. Times needed to walk are written but no alternatives were seen for a 24 minute traversal. The chairs are the most uncomfortable I've ever tried to endure: no lumbar support at all and the assumption we all slouch. Why must airport furniture be so awful? I bought two coffees - both very much lacking in actual coffee and there was no butter or jam to put on my dry over-priced croissant. The duty free area is a waste if time as everything is 59% more than on the high street.
Date VisitNovember 2023

"Good old Spanish hospitality!"

(Haiti)

Not Verified | Two hours to check in baggage at Madrid airport. One person checking how many flights in. When asked what’s going on, they just walked away. Good old Spanish hospitality! Avoid airport it’s terrible and not friendly.
Date VisitSeptember 2023

"ground staff were excellent"

(Israel)

Not Verified | We travelled with a baby and an elderly person with a mobility scooter and I wanted to say that the ground staff at Madrid airport were excellent, helpful and friendly and we were able to check in and board the plane smoothly. Many thanks!!
Date VisitJune 2023

"signposting is poor and confusing"

Trip Verified | Madrid T4 and T4s airport terminals left me feeling quite frustrated. Firstly, the signposting is poor and confusing. Add to this the endless escalators and trek to get to the shuttle train between the main terminal and its satellite. Then you have the underwhelming choice of food vendors. I don’t expect the airport experience to be wonderful, but this one is one of the least friendly and efficient airports I have ever used.
Date VisitApril 2023