Madrid Barajas Airport

"at least 45 minutes for our bags"

(Spain)

Trip Verified | Terrible. Every time they leave us waiting at least 45 minutes for our bags. What the hell are these people doing? Come on guys. Start putting bag delivery times into objectives and stop leaving us all waiting.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"airport is not user friendly"

Not Verified | I agree with a previous reviewer, this airport is not user friendly. Confusing signage and very long walking distances to boarding gates make this airport a time consuming experience. On the plus side going through security was stress free, the usual overpriced food outlets await you on the other side. Make sure you get here in plenty of time for your flight and be prepared to lose some weight in the process!
Date VisitNovember 2018

"it gets the job done"

(Spain)

Not Verified | I live in Spain, so whenever I travel I have to go trough Madrid Barajas airport (as it's closest to where I live). I've been flying trough here since I was born, so you can trust this review. I'll write this in the order that someone departing or arriving would follow. I'll focus on Terminal 1 for today. Departure: As soon as you enter T1 you can tell that it has it's age. The check-in area has a very low ceiling and is quite cramped. Despite this, it still gets the job done. Queues can be lengthy sometimes, but I've experienced that in many other airports. This area offers very little seating, as there is practically no space. Moving on to the security areas, the airport authorities have worked hard to renovate the checkpoints, and they have installed more modern equipment that helps lower waiting times (there is still a checkpoint that hasn't been renovated). Security is quite a pain though, as you have to take practically everything out of your bags, but there's plenty of space to put everything back without annoying anyone. Moving on, there is some retail spread out across the terminal (which generally consists of magazine stores, like Relay), but there aren't many places to eat. The "A" gates are in a pretty spacious area, and seating isn't a problem, but the older part of the terminal lacks some seating. Boarding is nothing out of the ordinary. Arrival: If you have the luck of arriving at the "A" gates, then de-boarding is really easy. You just walk off the plane and you end up in this walkway above the gates. When the walkway ends, however, things get complicated. There's not much signage, but it's hard to get lost, it's pretty straight forward. Passport control is slow, but airport authorities have installed a bunch of automated machines to make the process quicker. Baggage claim is also pretty straight forward. Exiting the terminal is quite easy, since you're really close to the parking lot, and to public transit. All in all, Madrid Barajas Airport is far from amazing, but it gets the job done.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Generally not user friendly"

Trip Verified | Manages to annoy in a lot of little ways that unfortunately cancel out the proximity to the city and easy metro access. For instance: Poor signposting, leading to inevitable extra walking and unnecessary conversations seeking help. Extortionate prices and tiny portions in the fast food-type outlets beyond the gates. Poor planning, with a lack of walkways on long thoroughfares, lack of escalators in Arrivals, lack of toilets, poorly sited flight information screens, hidden entrances. Generally not user friendly. Like most Spanish airports, lack of free water and wifi. On the plus side, security is relaxed and staff are informal.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"there is an element of chaos"

Trip Verified | I travelled from Malaga via Madrid to Heathrow. I have been through Madrid Airport several times and there is an element of chaos. The transit time between the flights was very tight especially when I had to change from T4 to T4s - some of the signage is confusing - the airport estimates it is 28 minutes to transit to T4s - it actually took 45 minutes for someone walking quickly. As the transit time was tight my luggage did not make the second leg of the flight and remained in Madrid airport overnight. Unless the Spanish authorities up their game then you need to avoid Madrid airport wherever possible.

"rude, lazy, arrogant"

Not Verified | This was my second trip to Spain after my first time here about five years ago. Such a pity nothing has changed. I arrived on Icelandair from Keflavik and we got off the plane at an apron near T1. Once we came down the air stair we were all stranded at the tarmac for about 20 minutes because the bus never showed up. First time ever experiencing this nonsense in my travel to over 80 airports around the globe. Well done Spain! Custom and immigration went a bit quicker than I expected but still took about an hour. Real pain was on my departure date back to Canada after my travel. Signage is sparse and often time only in Spanish in the terminal. There were multiple security lines that were moving at turtles pace. Security personnel at this airport is definitely most rude and arrogant ones I ever encountered. The guy manning the monitor asked me something in Spanish and I said I do not understand Spanish and need to be communicated in English. His face becomes visibly red and upset and tells me in broken English that he will only communicate to me in Spanish. What a joke! They call themselves an International airport when they are either unwilling or unable to communicate in English. Once at the airside, there were so few benches and so many people, most people were sitting and lounging around the floor. Boarding process from five years ago never improved. There is frequent gate changes and no boarding announcements whatsoever. Madrid Barajas airport personnel especially those manning security lines in my opinion truly personifies Spain's overall reputation : Rude, lazy, arrogant.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Terminal 4 pleasant Terminal 4S not so"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Departed September 26th to MIA and returned on October 4th from MIA. Iberia uses Terminal 4S to flights to the US. Checking in at T4 was fine but then got to get a shuttle to 4S. Terminal 4 is full of shops, cafes and restaurants catering for all tastes and pockets. Unfortunately, Terminal 4S has not that choice - very few shops and even less choice for food. Initial security screening was neither fast nor slow. Boarding on the departing flight was late for over 25 minutes and for about 20 minutes there was no announcement in any language! Apart from that all went smoothly. On the return flight getting to passport control involved lots of walking, as Terminal 4 is massive! Passport control is efficient as is baggage claim. Overall, Terminal 4 is a modern, comfortable and very pleasant place to be. Terminal 4S not so! I aim to reflect that in the rating.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"gate assignment was a disaster"

Not Verified | Airport was below average. Iberia was terrible. Because of delay of the flight out of Chicago (which was the fault of Iberia), I missed my flight to Munich by 15 minutes. I had to wait 7 hrs for the next flight. The 7 hrs in the terminal were not uneventful. The gate assignment was a disaster. First one end of the terminal, then the other end with no moving walkways. It was a very long walk for my worn out tired knees. I would think twice before flying in to Madrid again. The airport gets 6 out of 10, Iberia Airline 2 out of 10.

"It was so stressful"

Trip Verified | One thing I Iearned, I will never use this airport for connecting flights again. It was so stressful. Pretty airport but an absolute mess. Our flight from Frankfurt to Madrid via Iberia was fine. It was when we landed that the stress began. We had an 1.45 layover. We landed on time but by the time we got off the plane, stood in a crazy disorganized line for customs and security, then had figured out how the heck to catch the shuttle to T4S. Then the super long walk and taking multiple escalators to our gate. We ran to our gate and our flight was already boarding! We had no time to use the restroom or grab a bite to eat. Oh, and they do not announce anything at the airport. So many people missed their fights because of the poor customs and securing screening. The employees did not care. People would kindly ask for help to make their connecting flight, they would just walk away. So rude! Never again!
Date VisitJuly 2018

"staff would simply ignore us"

Not Verified | Childish and Despicable Staff. Our layover from Zagreb was in Madrid back to New York. Note we were only in Spain for a layover and for no other purpose. My grandma is wheelchair bound and the rest of my family including myself do not speak Spanish. Instead of helping us with our multiple flight issues, the staff would simply ignore us, and then proceeded to gossip about us in Spanish right in front of us or in a group of staff away from us, looking, and pointing. I understand little Spanish from elementary school, but I was able to comprehend that they mocked us for “coming to Spain” and not being able to speak Spanish. The laughing and the jokes never ceased to stop. Incredibly rude, unhelpful, and lazy staff, and the (rare) ones who actually seek to help us could not understand or speak English (which is obviously not their fault, and I don’t expect them to). Instead of aiding my wheelchair bound grandmother, the lady assigned instead chose to flirt with another staff member. And it still continued, as one of the staff began gossiping about our family with other Spanish speaking passengers while we constantly heard her laugh behind us. I’ve never met such despicable and unkind staff in my life.
Date VisitJuly 2018