Lyon Airport

"no concept of customer service"

Trip Verified | I wish to complain about the incompetence and rudeness of staff in the Terminal 1 security check-in, outsize luggage check-in and Easyjet check-in desk 11 on September 7th and 8th. My sister are in our sixties. We arrived at 11.15am, with 2 bikes, for the easyJet flight to LGW departing 1.30pm. Our bikes were packed exactly as they had been on the outward easyjet flight from LGW, where they had been accepted and checked in without any problems. When we tried to fly from Lyon, first easyJet would not accept the bikes but eventually they checked them in. Then we were told to go to room 24 for the outsize baggage check-in, instead of the one next to our check-in at desk 11. At room 24 they told us to go back to the outsize check-in by desk 11. They sent us back to room 24. Again they would not accept them. We tried the check-in by desk 11 again. This time they checked one bike through, but then someone rang the check-in lady and told her not to accept the bikes. I pleaded with the lady to check the second bike in but she called her supervisor, who refused to allow her. Two other staff came to watch us arguing, and one of them laughed at us and said in French how red we looked, assuming that we couldn't understand him. That is completely unprofessional, and unbelievably rude. Finally, we managed to get help from another easyJet representative, who took us to a scanner in Terminal 2, where they finally accepted the bikes for our flight. By now it was nearly time for our flight to leave. We had to run all the way back to the security check-in at Terminal 1. Once there, my sister's hand luggage was scanned and returned, but my bag went through the scanner once and was sent back to be scanned again. When it was finally returned, the security staff searched it although it contained nothing invalid. I had to explain what a toothbrush holder was, one man was waving my small bicycle pump around and a female operative dropped one of my bike lights onto the counter so that its cover cracked, and said 'Oops, sorry!' as if it was a joke. When they finally released my bag we had to run all the way to departure gate D12, and by that time we had missed our flight. We spent the night at the airport, waiting for the 7.10 am flight to LGW on September 8th. We had finally found bike boxes for sale at the airport so our bikes were packed into the boxes. At 5.10am we checked our bikes in at Easyjet and were again told to take them to Room 24. AGAIN they were not accepted. This is ridiculous - the airport had sold us the boxes! If they are not suitable why sell them? They were only accepted and checked in after my sister went back to Easyjet and they phoned room 24. It seems clear that your staff have no idea what the rules are concerning bicycles and absolutely no concept of customer service.
Date VisitSeptember 2019

"No clear direction"

(Oman)

Trip Verified | The queue to parking. No clear direction from parking to terminal by walk or shuttle. You just get lost in middle pf airport. Passage through the train station (showing way to the terminal) also closed! Then 15min walking from t2 to end of t1. Finally, only 1 gate for passport control and you can get bored at the gate (no food, no shop - nothing). I feel ashamed of being French in this "major" French Airport.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"Queue full of children elderly people"

Not Verified | Queue full of children elderly people to GI through customs, no toilets. Machines for biometric passport not working despite holiday season and passengers from more than 2 flights queuing. Only 2 airport customs border police on duty! This happens frequently.
Date VisitAugust 2019

"My experience was excellent"

Trip Verified | I was so worried about this airport because of the negative reviews. My experience was excellent. Clean, modern, one of the best airports I’ve been to. Security line took 5 minutes. I flew out on a Sunday to Munich, but the system is set up to be efficient. The bathrooms are very clean, doors automatically open, and you can now go get food and shop at the mall whenever - the gate is no longer closed to the main part.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"passport control lines are pathetic"

Not Verified | What a joke. I’ve flown out of Lyon 6 times this year and the passport control lines are pathetic. Last time no agents showed up for 45 minutes so hundreds of people waiting in queue. Today just two agents and hundreds of folks waiting in queue and will most likely miss flights. Absolute idiots.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"2 hours by the gate hungry"

Trip Verified | Once you pass the passport control, which there is no indication as you are entering a desert, they bring you to the gates where there is absolutely nothing to eat, or drink, no bar , no cafe, nothing. It is France, but feels like you are travelling from a third world country. The staff are so rude with no explanation as why I can not go back to grab a sandwich! And they don't care if you wait for 2 hours by the gate hungry with a vending machine that has drinks only.
Date VisitJune 2019

"impossible to find charging"

Not Verified | This airport is impossible to find a charging station for mobile phones They only have regular European electric plugs. They need to install for international traveller's that are not equipped with 220 electric adapters.
Date VisitMay 2019

"a good airport for connections"

Trip Verified | Lyon St-Exupery airport serves primarily the city of Lyon and the region of Rhônes-Alpes in the center east of France. This airport has a train station which connects some cities of France as well as tramway that connects the city center. This airport can be a good option for connecting flights as it offers a good choice of flights mostly to Europe. This airport had recently an expansion of terminal 1 which is nice and modern. However the wating time for security lines is very long. Also there's a passport control even for Shengen flights which I find odd for an airport. The airport staff is fine probably more friendly than the ones of Paris CDG airport. There's a good range of shops and restaurants after security. Overall besides the security lines Lyon airport is a good airport for connections but give yourself enough time for that. I recomend at least 2 hours if you are not check in and have bags to claim.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"A consistently bad experience"

Not Verified | After a previous episode for which departure was delayed by 45 minutes because the luggage was not delivered to the plane, today flight was delayed for late arrival of the fuel truck. This airport is run like a mom-and-pop operation except that the ground staff looks overburden and lies about delays. A consistently bad experience.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"no management skills"

(Italy)

Not Verified | Worst experience I had in an airport. They took away all the cheese I had bought for my family with no explanation, because in the whole airport there's nobody who ever bothered to learn English. They will continue to speak to you in French even if you repeatedly said you can't understand them. Rude staff and no management skills.
Date VisitJanuary 2019